Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Modding Baldur's Gate 3

Ashen_Shugar

Literate
Apologies in advance and please excuse my newfaginess in possibly posting dumbshit in the wrong section of the forum -> first post in this most hilarious and side splitting of forums.

However serious q/post, not much info on the netskis on how to mod this game (and the game obviously is begging for mods -> 5E combat exclusions (shove, reactions etc), excessive gay/woke shit etc).

So.... what is possible with regards to modding this game (do we even know?). Can the code be manipulated (coding language used is it C# or C++/lua?, what de-compiler is required?). Do we have a good source of information currently for modding (quick search of the interwebs is showing close to nada). Have a modicum of experience in C#.

I can't search the forums directly as not enough posts so moderators please feel free to merge if duplicate thread, otherwise would be good to have a sticky for BG3 modding.

Proud pollacko. Top 3 RPG's BAK, TOEE (with co8 mods), Witcher 3 (better than 1 in IMO). Nod to Severance - Blade of Darkness which no one remembers (forerunner to Dark Souls). Do wszystkich cześć!

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
The C++ game code is not easily moddable, i.e. changing formulas or adding new stats.
The assets should be moddable - areas and character visuals, quest scripts and dialogues.
Looks like they haven't shipped the editor yet, but promise to do it soon.
Dos2 shipped it like so: https://docs.larian.game/Setup:_Editor_Steam
DOS2 editor may handle some BG3 assets, the engine is only slightly different, you could give it a try. Or maybe it'll need a few minor tweaks, but modifying the editor's exe is hard, so maybe waiting for the official editor is best.
Keep us posted, interested in what you find out.

Last edited:

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Someone tag me when they mod in ability to change bag names.

Ashen_Shugar

Literate
Many Thanks Bester. Pity as was keen to try my hand at modding the actual ruleset (aforementioned shove reduced to 5ft as per RAW etc) as well as a bunch of other stuff more in line with Solasta. BG3 *could* be one of the greats but needs a lot more love than this. Am trying to focus on the essentials first.

Curious to know if they will release for the GOG version of BG3 (the link provided was for Steam version of DOS2). At least we may be able to bypass the BG3 mid 3d portraits for actual proper artsy portraits ala IWD1/2 et al (best i have seen in most RPG's despite a mid game):

default:

SAN4bAF.jpg

custom:

A1756-Sexy-Girl-Nude-Elf-Art-Figures-Scenery-HD-Canvas-Print-Art-painting-Home-decoration-Living.thumb.jpg.3635fe4dcdcc4c4c33bf7ec6fa3ff462.jpg

FFS even P:KM had this option (plus easy modification of game code) despite being a PITA with the bugs.

Will wait for the official editor in the meanwhile.

:hmmm:

Akachi

Educated
I found this tool easily when I tried that game and looked into editing my save game as well as to see if I could improve someone else's shove mod. Did you even bother trying to examine the data structures or searching anything to do with them? Average BG3 player.

https://github.com/Norbyte/lslib

Ashen_Shugar

Literate
Hi Akachi. Don't want to come across as a fucktard but what i am trying to do is modify the DND ruleset via modifying the engine/source code. I would require a dedicated decompiler/3d party tool to do that (if Larian releases it which is doubtful - hoping for some 3rd party workaround). Modifying the PAK files via txt manipulation in Notepad++ won't achieve this (more for modding the armor/weapon/item &/or in-game assets). Modding this should already be definitely achievable. What i am trying to figure out is how to mod the actual ruleset.

In terms of: "Did you even bother trying to examine the data structures or searching anything to do with them? Average BG3 player."

Yes i did. Your link will not solve what i am trying to achieve. All success to you in your efforts!:whatho:

Vagi Lupus

Barely Literate
So.... what is possible with regards to modding this game (do we even know?). Can the code be manipulated (coding language used is it C# or C++/lua?, what de-compiler is required?). Do we have a good source of information currently for modding (quick search of the interwebs is showing close to nada). Have a modicum of experience in C#.
Hi, Did you have any luck here. I would like to inject code to log the combat log results.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom