Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic MM X worth it or not?

vanicus

Barely Literate
I've tried to browse through the MM discussion topic but haven't found many solid opinions on the newest installment.
I just wanna know if you guys found it worth it's price or do you regret it more than anything in your entire life? I'm asking because I've seen so many absolutely opposite opinions it's baffling..

tl;dr: mmx shite or not?

vanicus

Barely Literate
Anyone put more than 10h into it and didnt force himself to do so? And would like to share his thoughts on the game?

Cadmus

Arcane
The codex review judges the game pretty fairly imo, go read that.

I liked it really much but I had never played any other MM before so I'm not the one to judge it from a series fan perspective. It was great fun for me though. Sometimes even difficult and it felt oldschool to me in some respects.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Yup, pretty good and definitely worth the money

the only thing missing are the SF elements and Sheltem

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Unwanted

QuestionMan

Unwanted
Personally I'm turned off by claims that you can't target distant enemies with your archer or sorcerer in MMX. This kills the RPG experience for me. I really don't like random attack gameplay. It's like waving around randomly with your weapon, like a complete idiot. And then you die like a complete idiot, because this half-dead enemy which could have been dead already - kills you in one last stroke.

Even as I tried to replay Lands of Lore 1 (which I remembered with pink glasses), that random attack gameplay out me off - and I suddenly recalled that this annoyed me 20 years ago already. A retarded, outdated technique. But heads up, at least you can target close combat enemies in MMX.

Shadowfang

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
Torrent it and find out, and if you like it buy it.

I watched some playthroughs and it looked pretty meh to me.
If DRM is an issue for you just play Wizardry instead.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
I bought it and just never got into, but plan on returning to it shortly. I made it to the first big boss fight (some spider) and something about the combat didn't feel all that Might and Magic'y so I didn't go back. However, there was enough that I did like and it does have it's charm. My hopes (more MM6) didn't align with my expectations, but I guess I just have to admit that MM6 came out 16 years ago and there is no going home again. The next game I'm going to play is MMX, so my hope is that I'll start it sometime this week.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Dude the spider is like thirty minutes into a 40hr game. :lol:

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Shadorwun: Hong Kong
MM X is a game that is worth to be played. Especially if you are a fan of Might & Magic 1 to 5.
A well executed title with a limited budget: turn based challenging combat, nice background story and lore (-> HOMM) some humor and many dungeons.

Gozma

Arcane
It's a'ight if it's cheap and you're willing to quit before finishing

Possibly Retarded The Real Fanboy
Sure it is worth buying, but like all Might & Magic titles - you must have "mood" for playing these games, MMX included. They are specific and need some different view as it is hard to compare them to the games like
DOS , W2 or other last releases. For me personally - and i love M&M series - these games are playable only "when i have mood" i know it's sound strange but otherwise i just hate playing them as they are boring shit when you enter them staright "from the street". Look at M&M6/7 there were great titles especially when you play them together with HoMM3+addons and dive deep into lore and universe for the time of playing them .
On the other hand you can play them just for specific mechanics, more like crpg fps but for me it makes no sense. So buy M&M X but not expect from it to hold you near PC for many hours at once.
It's like all dungeon crawlers - mechanics first - story later ;) .

DarKPenguiN

Arcane
YES!

Its not among the better in the series and TBH it feels far more linear with gated areas (this may change as im only a bit into the game) but its quite good. If you like turn based blobbers there isnt much better thats been released in quite some time and MMX looks and plays quite well.

There are alot of annoyances and tbh if it didnt say "might and magic" on the title screen , I would never have known it was a part of the series outside of a few mechanics. Its not perfect by any means but its certainly good amd well worht the money if you enjoy these types of games and want something more modern looking.

k0syak

Cipher
YES!

There are alot of annoyances and tbh if it didnt say "might and magic" on the title screen , I would never have known it was a part of the series outside of a few mechanics. Its not perfect by any means but its certainly good amd well worht the money if you enjoy these types of games and want something more modern looking.

I felt like this when MM6 came out :)

Magellan

Augur
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
It's absolutely worth it. It's certainly not perfect, but I have about 50 hours of fun into it so far.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
How do you guys have 50 hours into it ? Have you replayed it ? I thought the game was only 20 hours long.

gunman

Arcane
Developer
Yes, it is worth it. It didn't impress me much at start, but as it progressed I started to like it. There are several huge spikes of difficulty (some ghosts/thugs that will kill you in a blink if you are not high level enough), and this combined with the fact that you cannot flee from combat can lead to some frustrations, but if you play on adventurer difficulty is pretty forgiving even if you don't play with an optimal build party. Playing with a pretty standard and mediocre party (paladin/ranger/runepriest/freemage) I completed Act 1 without having to reload once.

ortucis

Prophet
It's a good game. Way better than that indie game (forgot the name..).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom