Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mists of Pandaria

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
The cinematic is p. cool. Seems like they are setting up to put alliance and horde together again.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I guess now we know why Heart of the Swarm was delayed. Jim Raynor has been busy fighting orcs with spears.

Every human male in any Blizzard universe game is required to be the size of a steroid-abusing NFL linebacker.

J1M

Arcane
I guess now we know why Heart of the Swarm was delayed. Jim Raynor has been busy fighting orcs with spears.

Every human male in any Blizzard universe game is required to be the size of a steroid-abusing NFL linebacker.
That doesn't really bother me. It was jarring that they reused the face model.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron

That doesn't really bother me. It was jarring that they reused the face model.

Probably saved them quite a lot of KWAbucks since they had all the modelling, textures and animation rig done for them. And if/when people spot it they can always claim it's their little nudge-nudge, wink-wink to their loyal fans to make people feel all smug and pleased with themselves.

Deleted member 7219

I'm interested in this now. More and more they are talking about the war coming between the Alliance and the Horde... a proper war this time. Garrosh finally losing it for real, Thrall coming back to rein him in etc. I'm not too bothered about the Pandaren, in fact an Asian, Jade Empire-like setting would do the game and the lore some good. The new zones introduced in Cataclysm weren't very interesting, not even the underwater one.

I wonder what Blizzard has in store for the pre-launch event. It's going to have something to do with Theramore.

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014
The only way Blizzard can regain my respect is by coming out with a great new mmorpg based on starcraft. A huge mmorpg where you travel between planets, and you drive vehicles up to battlecruisers and shit. And the races are the SC2 races, and you can actually play a Zerg and morph into stuff, with completely different playstyles according to different races and so on. And classes based on sc2 different units. Ah, a man can dream though. A man can dream…

Angthoron

Arcane
Haha, they're rolling pre-MoP event patch on the 28th. Talk about being scared about GW2.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I'm interested in this now. More and more they are talking about the war coming between the Alliance and the Horde... a proper war this time. Garrosh finally losing it for real, Thrall coming back to rein him in etc. I'm not too bothered about the Pandaren, in fact an Asian, Jade Empire-like setting would do the game and the lore some good. The new zones introduced in Cataclysm weren't very interesting, not even the underwater one.

I wonder what Blizzard has in store for the pre-launch event. It's going to have something to do with Theramore.

World of Warcraft is, and has always been, a PvE game. Yeah they added honor points, and battle grounds, and arenas and such (mostly to profit off of tournaments/e-sports) but at least 75-80% (if not more) of the resources is directed towards PvE. Quite simply the game's engine isn't even adaptable for any meaningful faction 'war.' You can only do so much with phasing. The game is basically a dungeon crawl (a good one, though, imo) and I laughed at them pushing this 'rekindling' of the old Alliance vs. Horde angle. WoW just isn't suited towards PvP and this just strikes me as them being unable to conceive of a legitimate 'big bad' to base the expansion around.

Not that it really matters because all they need is some half-baked story to shoe-horn a dozen dungeons and three or four raid zones in... then all the filler content like pet battles, daily quests, and... literal in-game farming (grow your own garden!) develops itself. I still find the mechanics of the game enjoyable but would only play it if it went F2P or had some reduced $5/month cheap-o subscription. It just isn't worth the $80 or so it costs for a new expansion plus a couple months game-time to dick around with the new stuff when you can find ARPGs that deliver the same experience for $20 or less these days.

Angthoron

Arcane
Haha, they're rolling pre-MoP event patch on the 28th. Talk about being scared about GW2.

They do it with every new pretender, it hasn't failed in fucking with the competition yet.

I don't recall patch launches on launch days before, even for TOR and WAR there was a pause of a few weeks.

Sadly for Blizz they actually fucked it up this time. GW2 doesn't have a sub, so "first month" rule won't count for shit, and knowing Blizzard's "expack events" it's going to be someting that you can finish in 30 minutes and then go home and masturbate.

The REAL fruits they're getting with forced early launch are:
For patch:
1) GW2 gets a smoother launch without overloaded servers; besides, prepurchasers will already be in their teens/twenties.
2) Pre-MOP, being rushed, will take a whole day or so to get back to normal (already now the servers are fucking up nicely - random lag, disconnects, inexplicable gfx lags)
3) Being a rush job it might require extra work to fix the results of the rush job. Won't be a first with Blizz fucking up big time on patches.

For actual MoP:
1) Lol, cut content ==> people go to play that other game ===> discover it's good ===> leech additional Blizz customers
2) Lol, rushed ===> Bugs, crashes, slow addressing of key issues of large class swathes ===> people playing GW2 instead.

If they just released a temporary tie-over lair instead, MoP pre-launch event in September and MoP itself in October, yeah, maybe it'd work, but as such, they're trying to influence the playing field not by the quality of their work but by their mass at this point, and that will backfire, even for Blizzard.

I suppose I might sound like a rabid GW2 fanboy at this point, but even if I hadn't liked what I've seen in GW2, I'm really not liking what Blizzard is doing, and I sure as fuck don't want to play rushed products.

And yeah, Cataclysm and Wrath were already rushed and it fucking showed. Where's my Azjol'Nerub, motherfuckers.

I'd even play a bit of WoW, as I enjoyed it for what it was, but the PvP being Arena resilience grindfest and PvE being only (at least until Raid Finder came in) for retards with no life who raid when normal folks would want to socialize, but they can't because you apply for the guilds like it's a fucking regular job, killed it for me.

Even with Raid Finder, I'd play a bit of WoW, but its lack of content... Blizzard sure knows how to play their cards, though. That Annual Pass made some ppl force themselves legally into 9 months of Dragon Soul and 3 dungeons:troll:

I should probably enroll on RP server, I know:smug:

catfood

AGAIN
Best cinematic they've done since WC3.

And... I'm ashamed to say it but... this expansion makes me want to go back to WoW more and more. Help me bros I don't know what to do even harboring such thoughts makes me feel dirty. :( :( :( I feel slipping bros.. :(

Been playing on/off since vanilla, played every expansion heavily, hardcore raided at on time, been there done that, and this expansion is the first one I'm not buying. Been on the beta for ages (friends & family invite) and haven't even leveled to the cap. WoW is still trying to give me a hardon on a gameplay / basic level, but the atmosphere and theme of the expansion is like having sex while sailing and someone is reading out loud Bioware dialogue. Leaves me ice cold.

If you want to know something about MoP (beta) let me know. Done four of the MoP instances and quested somewhat, but like I said, haven't played much. Zero PVP.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Even with Raid Finder, I'd play a bit of WoW, but its lack of content... Blizzard sure knows how to play their cards, though. That Annual Pass made some ppl force themselves legally into 9 months of Dragon Soul and 3 dungeons

Eh, those people had no one to blame but themselves. Every single expansion has seen an eight or nine month (sometimes longer) period of zero new content at the end of its cycle. Wrath might have been an exception when they dumped that mini-raid with that one dragon in at the end but that took like... thirty minutes to complete. Back in Burning Crusade I think it literally took a year in between Black Temple/Hyjal and Sunwell because they fucked up the pacing on Tier 4 and 5.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Just an FYI there's a free week promo going around in case anyone wants to dick around with the new changes. Don't have a link but supposedly you'll get it in your e-mail or just go directly to your account page to avoid scams. Offer has to be redeemed by the 19th or so.

And... I'm ashamed to say it but... this expansion makes me want to go back to WoW more and more. Help me bros I don't know what to do even harboring such thoughts makes me feel dirty. :( :( :( I feel slipping bros.. :(

Think about those social failures and rejects that dedicate most of their evenings and weekends to raiding and for whom the end-game is of any interest, or the need of farming daily/weekly things for weeks, or mind-numbingly boring PvP grind...

Condiments

Educated
I'd even play a bit of WoW, as I enjoyed it for what it was, but the PvP being Arena resilience grindfest and PvE being only (at least until Raid Finder came in) for retards with no life who raid when normal folks would want to socialize, but they can't because you apply for the guilds like it's a fucking regular job, killed it for me.

Pretty much this. I enjoyed WoW for what it was, but raiding vanilla WoW killed my interest to that entire aspect of the game. Having to maintain an online schedule for virtual armor is nothing something I want from a videogame....EVER. I've come back in every expansion to play for a few weeks, but its usually PvP and low end dungeons. Even then, PvP has way too many barrier to entry with gear grinds, terrible balancing which kills off that part of the game. The game PLAYS slick, but it always feels like the game is geared toward those who have way too much time on their hands for content updates.

Doesn't sound like its going to change so fuck this expansion.

Angthoron

Arcane
Eh well, raiding has really changed since vanilla, it's more like running L/UBRS in its original iteration than anything - 10-man groups, short-ish raids, so if you'll try MoP, you could give raiding a go again, it is far more casual these days, at least if you don't go Heroic - and even then, 2 nights a week is more than enough to have a decent enough run. I've not done raids in Vanilla precisely because of the amount of time it would take, but this, this is quite doable.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Indeed, WoW has taken a massive lurch towards being a casual MMO. The dumbed down talent system, the pet battles, the bajllion reputations/daily quests, etc. I loved playing healers (and occasionally tanks although they've made that dirt easy now, too) but unless you know a few people in the game it just isn't worth subscribing. The content gets stale after about a month and the patch cycles are five to six months (and that's just raids not necessarily smaller content).

catfood

AGAIN

Think about those social failures and rejects that dedicate most of their evenings and weekends to raiding and for whom the end-game is of any interest, or the need of farming daily/weekly things for weeks, or mind-numbingly boring PvP grind...
Actually my social life never suffered because of it since I was never a raider, or PVPer and didn't care much for doing the dailies either. In fact I don't remember participating in more than 10 raids during my entire "career". It's just that all that time playing WoW could have been spent on better games.

Anyway, danger's over. :D The excitement faded by itself during the last few weeks anyway.

ohWOW

Sucking on dicks and being proud of it
Dumbfuck Queued
It's going to be released tomorrow, can't wait for the butthurt :lol:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Wonder if because I had an active account after 5.0 launched (thanks to a 7 day promo) if I'll be able to access the PTR again. Same thing happened during Cataclysm and was able to play through the new zones and such free of charge. Granted it was PTR so I didn't keep stuff but, whatever. Fun for a couple of days of ARPG action.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom