Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Mighty No. 9 - It's better than nothing.

Repressed Homosexual
The two new Megaman games with NES gameplay and graphics on Xbox Live and PSN were every bit as good as the old ones.

I don't understand why he makes such drama of leaving Capcom, only to do more of the same. More Megaman, more Monster Hunter (Soul Sacrifice)... he's not exactly pushing boundaries.

deuxhero

Arcane
The two new Megaman games with NES gameplay and graphics on Xbox Live and PSN were every bit as good as the old ones.

Which were made by Inti Creates, an external studio (the same one behind the Zero and ZX games, the only other good modern "traditional" Megaman games)

edit: Oh and "classic" Megaman actually made by modern Capcom? Megaman Powered Up, which keeps the original game's pixel perfect jumps, but had 3D models that make it impossible to tell where the line between "falling off" and "on the platform" are.

Last edited:

TigerKnee

Arcane
Keiji's not Hideo Kojima. I got a feeling he WANTS to work on more Megaman before his departure.

What he doesn't want is Capcom to rape his franchise when he's not overseeing anything (MMX6 and 7).

Ninjerk

Arcane
Oh, see, I barely played X2. I did get hadouken, though :D Really annoying

Tehdagah

Arcane
Keiji's not Hideo Kojima. I got a feeling he WANTS to work on more Megaman before his departure.

What he doesn't want is Capcom to rape his franchise when he's not overseeing anything (MMX6 and 7).
Inafune raped his own franchise with Megaman X5.

Man, that game was a BIG disappointment :(

TigerKnee

Arcane
I honestly don't understand why some people think X5 was bad.

If anything, once you get past the Anime cutscenes in X4, I think its gameplay really doesn't stand up to other X games and is merely decent at best (it's better than x6 and x7 but those were shit).

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Was 5 the one where the enemy mavericks were level scaled to you and you got giant score penalties for killing bosses quickly using their weakness instead of retarded saber dash spam? Seemed like some shit gameplay to me. And the armours sucked for X.

And then X6 fucks you over if you played zero without doing a naked run with X to fight the miniboss to play as him, since power ups weren't shared between the two.

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In

If anything, once you get past the Anime cutscenes in X4, I think its gameplay really doesn't stand up to other X games and is merely decent at best (it's better than x6 and x7 but those were shit).

X5 is an alright game but having to collect all pieces of an armor in order to use it annoyed the piss out of me.

Tehdagah

Arcane

Because X5 is extremely generic and felt like an amateur's rehash of X4.

X6 had some good levels at least. X5 had... nothing. Except the 'X vs Zero' fight, I guess.

TigerKnee

Arcane
Was 5 the one where the enemy mavericks were level scaled to you and you got giant score penalties for killing bosses quickly using their weakness instead of retarded saber dash spam? Seemed like some shit gameplay to me. And the armours sucked for X.
I can't remember X5's armors.

The bosses are scaled based on time remaining before the Colony crashes, and it really only raises their HP which isn't that significant.

In fact, counterintuitively people intentionally waste time to level bosses up because only level 8+ bosses drop equippable parts.

I don't know anything about score penalties, are you sure you aren't think of the Zero series? I don't think scoring was in X5.

Because X5 is extremely generic and felt like an amateur's rehash of X4.
And X2 and 3 felt like an amateur rehash of X1 too, so you know, that's kind of a thing with the Megaman series.

Last edited:
fucking mickey mouse aesthetics
:rage:

? He looks and move exactly like Megaman, down to the absurd jumping pose.

a4d2477d01ae7a44bffec74b42906c0d_large.jpg

mega-man-wall-mural-2.jpg

And X2 and 3 felt like an amateur rehash of X1 too, so you know, that's kind of a thing with the Megaman series.

While I think X1 has some of the best levels in the series (Armored Armadillo and Launch Octopus stages), X2 and X3 definitely expanded the game in interesting ways like adding in hidden bosses (the X-Hunters, Vile), expanding X's capabilities greatly, adding mutually exclusive* customization options, as well as nifty ways to manipulate levels/enemies with acquired weaponry. They were a lot more than amateur rehashes, bro.

kaizoku

Arcane

d872aedcdccf552f3a519ee565576732_large.jpg

tumblr_lp85ad0HxA1qkyl0xo1_500.gif

He doesn't look at all like the old megaman at all.
Not that it could. But I really dislike his happy kid look. Which kind of reminds of "teen in mecha saves the world".

Maybe I'm just too attached to this:
Mega-man-2.jpg

But they could have opted with this art direction instead...

1+Megaman+color+erik+ly+1-13-13.jpg

who__s_next__by_van_der_dot-d4bbrep.jpg

final_zero_sneak_peek_by_van_der_dot-d5pl2yy.jpg

mega_man_bosses_reimagined__by_van_der_dot-d5gjxww.jpg

and if you don't want something on the darker side, something like this looks pretty cool, and more faithful to the original

23542.jpg

Hobo Elf

Arcane
X3 had pretty horrible maverick bosses with their retarded attack patterns. Then you have the X-Buster upgrade which is even worse and more useless than the head upgrade from X2. I mean at least that head ugprade was useless, but the X-Buster upgrade in X3 was just plain shit and made charged shots worse.
X3 mostly shines is hidden collectibles, so if you like that then there you go. Everything else X and X2 did better imo.

Edit: pls no grimdark megamen. X was perfect in terms of art style.

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The art style is clearly derived from Astro Boy which was derived from Disney and was probably the inspiration for Mega Man in the first place. An anime version of Mega Man is exactly what they are and should be shooting for. I think the controversy comes from people taking the simple 8-bit graphics totally out of context. If you can't stand cartoon graphics, then what possible business did you have liking Mega Man in the first place?

Although I must admit that the pictures kaizoku posted are rad as Hell. :)

Last edited:

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Yeah, it's funny how good nes platforming (mega man, contra, ninja gaiden, ect) has yet to be topped. I think part of the problem is the horrible d-pad from the last few generations.

dunno lah

Arcane
Man...I should've put a troll in my post. Sarcasm is hard.:(

But it's still better than Bad Boxart Mega Man.

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
I like the grimdarks (except for bombman). That said they don't fit the franchise at all. I just think they look cool.

Edit: Funded

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom