Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Might & Magic X Update: The Freemage

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Hormalakh This game has received very little marketing from Ubisoft. Barely anybody knows about it.

It seems to be aimed mostly at European gamers which is probably why the language seems "dumbed down".

Zeriel

Arcane
That's what I don't get, the whole "dumbed down" thing. Might and Magic was always simple (but fun) and accessible, as a series. It was never Wizardry. It feels like a lot of people want to criticize this game for being a proper sequel, under the impression that Might & Magic was something it never was.

Hormalakh

Magister
Hormalakh This game has received very little marketing from Ubisoft. Barely anybody knows about it.

It seems to be aimed mostly at European gamers which is probably why the language seems "dumbed down".

It's not finished yet. The mass marketing will come later. Just you wait.

Hormalakh

Magister
That's what I don't get, the whole "dumbed down" thing. Might and Magic was always simple (but fun) and accessible, as a series. It was never Wizardry. It feels like a lot of people want to criticize this game for being a proper sequel, under the impression that Might & Magic was something it never was.

I'll admit, perhaps the basic mechanics of M&M weren't as complex as AoD, but there were still hallmarks that defined the old M&M games as "classics." Diablo II and Diablo III were also both hack and slash games, but they played differently because the philosophy behind them was different.

I can't really articulate what I'm trying to say at this point and I hope that I'm wrong. But the vibe I've been getting until now reminds me of the dev cycles of games like Diablo III. It's a je ne sais quoi that I can't put my finger on right now.

Mortmal

Arcane

I'll admit, perhaps the basic mechanics of M&M weren't as complex as AoD, but there were still hallmarks that defined the old M&M games as "classics." Diablo II and Diablo III were also both hack and slash games, but they played differently because the philosophy behind them was different.

I can't really articulate what I'm trying to say at this point and I hope that I'm wrong. But the vibe I've been getting until now reminds me of the dev cycles of games like Diablo III. It's a je ne sais quoi that I can't put my finger on right now.

Its the art direction that reminds you of diablo 3, while the firsts might and magic had very unique style, this one looks like to follow the "modern" fantasy trend . The concept arts ive seen could have been taken from eqnext, one of those free to play mmo ,or countles ios games, its soulless and deja vu.

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron

It's not finished yet. The mass marketing will come later. Just you wait.

:retarded:
Dude. If Ubisoft wanted this to be a mass market game, it wouldn't be a turn-based grid-based old school RPG being made on a budget of peanuts.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
??? Some meme I missed?

I'm saying they might not want to be too fancy with the English they're using on the site so ESLers aren't overwhelmed by it. Think Simple English Wikipedia.

Bulba

Learned
I doubt it would be any different if it was aimed for the us, since 1/6 of pop can't speak english and another 2/6 can't read or write

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Maybe, just maybe, people expect sequels to be improvements over the previous games

Luzur

Good Sir
Maybe, just maybe, people expect sequels to be improvements over the previous games

not that i would mind if they had used the World of Xeen engine for MMX and forward, but yeah.

but im gonna buy it, you have to do your own math from that statement.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

not that i would mind if they had used the World of Xeen engine for MMX and forward, but yeah.

I'm pretty sure they're gonna give you a free copy. :)

Luzur

Good Sir

I'm pretty sure they're gonna give you a free copy. :)

dunno bro, i sure hope so but i wont hold my breath.

Zeriel

Arcane

>10+ years of no M&M
>talk of decline
>ALL NEW GAMES MUST BE BETTER THAN BELOVED CLASSICS OR THEY SHOULD JUST FUCK OFF

Okay.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
If drawing from the previous games and experience with other CRPGs plus many years of advance in tech and dev tools you can't do better, then fuck off. There's a lot of room for improvement on those games, it's not exacly some incredibly high standard to meet for a professional team

Hormalakh

Magister
If you can't do better than the classics, why wouldn't i just play the classics? there are still a bunch of them i haven't played and coming on the dex introduces me to a new one everyday. do it better or fuck off.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
We keep hearing of more and more depth being added to the game, such as its overall size, the fact that trainers are in, etc., to the point where I feel it's acceptable. Whether it will ever be accepted as a true sequel to the originals remains to be seen, but I'm quite happy to see a product under its name that appears to be as good as this one will be.

Unwanted

Frian Bargo

Kosmonaut's Alt
It's already more complex than MM 6 & 7, both of which were great games. So I don't see what the problem is here.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom