Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Might & Magic X Open Development: Patch Poll #1

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Retro-mode doesn't remove the sliding animation while walking so it's not really retro now is it?

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Retro mode actually just makes it pixelated? :retarded:
Because "retro" means "shiny graphics" put through a pixelation filter. Talk about dumbshit hipsters.

And of course, really important to cater to arachnophobes. I only hope they'll cater to any other possible animal-phobia. Like, I'm pretty sure I have a mild dog-phobia. They'd better cater to me.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Most likely the intention here was to suggest four different features that require relatively minor work to implement, regardless of how important they are. It's also a good way to measure just how many people care about those silly things. If there are almost none of them, then they're not worth catering to. If they reach 10-20%, then that feature might be worth implementing, even if it doesn't win the poll.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I admit I replaced the spiders in Skyrim. First time I've done it in a game because they look fucking hideous like camel back spiders!

How bad could the spiders in something like MMX look? Screenshot?

Edit: Nvm, saw one in a video. Not bad at all. Slightly cartoony.

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Retro mode actually just makes it pixelated? :retarded:
Because "retro" means "shiny graphics" put through a pixelation filter. Talk about dumbshit hipsters.

Technically they'd be rendering the game on a framebuffer that's much smaller in size (let's say 1/3rd of the screen's dimensions) and scaling that up to the screen with nearest filtering (read: sharp pixels).
If the game is GPU limited, this can more than double performance as a consequence.
Also note Anti-Aliasing looks awful with this method.

If they're doing it properly, they'd also turn off texture filtering for world and model textures, as well as scaling them to either a 4th or an 8th of their size. This helps give it that old-school look and as a bonus also saves a lot of memory (which can also lead to better performance).

It seems they intend to chuck a rotoscope filter on top of that though, now that's lame and unnecessary.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Well, obviously I have no idea how they'd do it. My point is that taking "shiny" graphics, as they call them, downgrading them and then saying it's retro is dumb.

sser

Arcane
Developer
The spiders gave me the creeps in Grimrock, but after awhile the spookiness goes away. Also, where I live, there's spiders fucking everywhere. They even live in the trees and at night build webs down to the goddam driveway. I walked right into one about a week ago. Flush. Could hear the tension of the spidersilk pulling taut and the snap-crackle-pop of it all breaking. I dropped half my shit right then and there and ran back inside. Found the web's occupant dangling from my shoulder. Good times.

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
Hirato: interesting technical insight. I also believe they just intend to overlay the scene with a post processing filter (as there are filters purchasable for 20 bucks for the engine) The performance might even get worse, since the full scene is rendered, and then additionally the post processing filter.

It's so braindead... people gave feedback about A, B, C and in the poll they offer X, Y, Z

Hey wait... I'm afraid of monsters. Can we replace the monsters?

Or better: can we replace the monsters with babies? Because in the poll picture they drawed symbols over the spider having a baby-soother and saucer eyes. So obviously they are suggesting babies instead. Let's kill babies.

nocharacter

Literate
I would like to see notes on the map first, more so than anything and in a close second comes item comparisons I guess but it's not vital. I'd rather see the bugs fixed and overall performance improve before anything else. The removing spiders option seems like such a small minority of people would benefit from that I'm surprised they would even put it on the list, but if it's easy to implement, what the hell. "Retro mode", ugh.

Great0ldOne

Educated
Equipment comparison, definitely. I recently replayed World of Xeen (awesome game), and the only thing that really bothered me in the aged UI, was not being able to quickly compare item attributes.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Equipment comparison should be a no brainer/guaranteed feature.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
True retro mode should be:

- Tile movement without delay
- Some sci-fi elements in the game

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Even the icon for the spider is wrong... the spider symbol should be superimposed by the red circle / line, but not reversed. If this represents the quality of the game (and so far this matches my observations following the game development), then - no thanks.

:lol: This post is so two months ago.

We've already previewed the game and seen that it's decent, remember?

I remember all the 'decent' previews and first impressions for LoG as well here on the 'Dex. After the game came out it was rebranded as a banal shit boring dance simulator.

groke

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera BattleTech I'm very into cock and ball torture
Why on earth would they spend any time developing something every fucking person can achieve by playing the game at 640x480 @ 256 colours?

Hey Limbic, hire me!
SpKbbSE.png

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Even the icon for the spider is wrong... the spider symbol should be superimposed by the red circle / line, but not reversed. If this represents the quality of the game (and so far this matches my observations following the game development), then - no thanks.

:lol: This post is so two months ago.

We've already previewed the game and seen that it's decent, remember?

I remember all the 'decent' previews and first impressions for LoG as well here on the 'Dex. After the game came out it was rebranded as a banal shit boring dance simulator.

I don't think we ever had an official Grimrock preview on the Codex. Only DU's review months after the game came out.

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
Regarding LoG: yeah.... recently I wanted to investigate its gameplay mechanics and watched some vids. The whole game was: evade-wait-attack-evade-wait-attack (*repeat endlessly). What a crap. As this tactics worked in other dungeon crawlers too, e.g. Lands of Lore I, I came to the conclusion that real-time combat on tile based games is totally nonsense and will always turn to "banal-shit-boring-dance-simulator" gameplay.

Back2Topic: with all these bugs, issues and their current features "carved in stone" things in MMX, I just wished they had released the full game this month (as originally planned) and now they would start development on MMXI with 360° movement + turn based combat.

Nael

Arcane
Back2Topic: with all these bugs, issues and their current features "carved in stone" things in MMX, I just wished they had released the full game this month (as originally planned) and now they would start development on MMXI with 360° movement + turn based combat.

There already is 360° movement...:retarded:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

He means free movement.

Anyway, updated my theSavant.txt

Nael

Arcane

He means free movement.

Anyway, updated my theSavant.txt

I know what he meant. I was just being an asshole.

Zeriel

Arcane
Never has someone had as fitting a username as theSavant.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom