Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic Might & Magic X - Legacy

sser

Arcane
Developer
Maybe your hireling spot is taken by another person...?
Edwin is with me, but the other slot is empty.

Sigh, looks like yet another bug.

The other slot is for plot-related characters, I believe. This happened to me, too, by the way. I only acquired the dog when I came back with the proper slot being emptied. I don't know why it happens because you can otherwise have any other hirelings in the party with Edwin there, including the other +10% exp guy.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Monsters respawn after 200 days have passed in-game.
Monster respawning is a known spirit beacon bug.

I don't think so, monsters respawn after certain period just like in the previous MM games. Only problem is here it's probably bugged.
Personally I'd be delighted to have an option to check-box this shit out at the start of a new game, it's a stupid feature anyways.

Maybe your hireling spot is taken by another person...?
Edwin is with me, but the other slot is empty.

Sigh, looks like yet another bug.
Did you try to approach the cage from all possible sides? It should zoom in and offer a dialogue.

Btw, it's a fox.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Did you try to approach the cage from all possible sides? It should zoom in and offer a dialogue.
It zooms in and then does absolutely fuckall. And of course Edwin, being a quest hireling, cannot be dismissed until you complete his quest.

In not-entirely-unrelated news I think this is the first time I play a game that I try so hard to like but that so actively does everthing in its power to make me hate it. I can easily picture a typical design meeting at Limbic:
"Hey guys, we've got this really shitty and sluggish engine with load times that can take up to a minute, how can we best take advantage of this?"
"I know! How about we spread the main quest plot coupons in such a way that they have to backtrack back and forth across half a dozen loading screens every time they come across one?"
"I have an even better idea! Let's have the boss fight after this backtracking be too tough for them at this point, so that they'll have to reload to an earlier save and do all this backtracking all over again a few levels later!"

It's like they took every design mistake that JVC made when creating MM1, codified them into a game, and made sure to trash EVERY SINGLE THING that made the game good.

Blergh.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
^Heh, yeah.

Although tbh I wouldn't mind backtracking if it wasn't for dem loading times. Fortunately this game has the best type of travelling system you can have - fast travel exists but only between designated points and for money. Plus there's a teleport spell (although bugged). Plus the world is not that big and you can get from Sorpigal to Crag faster than across one single area in MM 6-8.

You could argue that MMX was done on a shoestring budget. I dunno, I'm not a programmer, maybe Unity is such a shitty engine it can't be really optimised at all, but those Finnish guys made Grimrock with their own engine and it ran like a butter (admittedly it's much simpler).

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Funny thing with load times is that I hear ambient sounds as soon as loading "disc" starts to turn, most of the time.Then waiting begins.
BTW once most of the world didn't load in my game, none of the enterable places like caves or even Sorpigal... I could still enter them but it was annoying, had to restart in order to fix it.

But I'm having a blast with the game, it is fun and I'd like to have more. I hope we'll get XI from this guys.

Arkeus

Arcane
"I know! How about we spread the main quest plot coupons in such a way that they have to backtrack back and forth across half a dozen loading screens every time they come across one?"
"I have an even better idea! Let's have the boss fight after this backtracking be too tough for them at this point, so that they'll have to reload to an earlier save and do all this backtracking all over again a few levels later!"
I.... really didn't have that experience. Boss fights were usually the easiest part of a dungeon, really.

Zeriel

Arcane
Yeah, can't say I share Skeptic's opinion. If anything, MMXL was one of those games I was kind of expecting to be terrible, especially after performance in the early previews, but it ended up surpassing most of my expectations.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Funny thing is, MM1-5 may have had terrible load times when they were new too. But today, nobody remembers. Technology marches on...

Zeriel

Arcane
Funny thing is, MM1-5 may have had terrible load times when they were new too. But today, nobody remembers. Technology marches on...

What M&M game was Julien talking about in that Twitch video when he was talking about his computer lagging so badly that when he stepped down stairs the game damaged him? He said he'd be yelling on forums if that happened in any modern game, and that's pretty true. The internet is a beautiful hate machine.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Well, nothing can beat King's Quest 8. That games loading times teach you the meaning of life&universe back then. (5 to 10 minutes depending on map on my toaster)

Arkeus

Arcane

What M&M game was Julien talking about in that Twitch video when he was talking about his computer lagging so badly that when he stepped down stairs the game damaged him? He said he'd be yelling on forums if that happened in any modern game, and that's pretty true. The internet is a beautiful hate machine.
MMVI:Mandate of Heaven.

He got the beautiful box with D20s inside, but he only had the 'minimum requirement' to make it run. It...actually couldn't really run.

groke

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera BattleTech I'm very into cock and ball torture
I really liked some of the smaller design decisions of the older games, like how the temples were almost always directly opposite the entrance to towns (in MM3+, anyways). MMX's towns feel like they've been designed in spite of the gameplay rather than to support it. I guess temples are pretty useless in this game anyways.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
anybody have coordinates for the dog? I am so fucking tired of keeping that spell up.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Sceptic Is your official Codex review going to be negative? :cry:

It's amusing (and also somehow appropriate for the Codex) that Sceptic's perhaps the only notable MM fan disliking the game as a whole ITT, and yet it is he who's going to write the official Codex review. :P

Mortmal

Arcane
He's also the only notable people who did not met the developpers nor got a vip copy for free , wich makes his review unbiased.

Reading metacritic theres many might and magic , oldschool, fans that arent too pleased , thats not so surprising sceptic does not like it . I think the game is lot of fun , its better than the sum of its parts none of them especially shine. Fights are rarely strategic , except boss battles but they rely mostly on luck, one missed block and bye bye party members, most of the time enemies popup out of thin air and you are flanked . Theres lot of criticism about grimrock and its waltz combat, but this one isnt any better. Unbalanced classes, the game is not forgiving to an suboptimal party like the premade party , puzzles already seen ages ago, how many times did i solve the three levers three doors puzzles ? Lot of backtracking to refill rations and potions to artificially make the game longer. A very generic fantasy world, no risks at all,no sci fi , no sillyness, understandable seeing even warhorse studio cant publish their game nowaday, but still....

I am happy i got it, it mostly plays and almost feel like the 90's game, but it wont be GOTY for me , there's lot of room for improvment .Oh yes and memory leaks,slow downs ,textures pop up and shame to be you if you use a 32 bit os.

Arkeus

Arcane
Reading metacritic theres many might and magic , oldschool, fans that arent too pleased , thats not so surprising sceptic does not like it . I think the game is lot of fun , its better than the sum of its parts none of them especially shine. Fights are rarely strategic , except boss battles but they rely mostly on luck, one missed block and bye bye party members, most of the time enemies popup out of thin air and you are flanked . Theres lot of criticism about grimrock and its waltz combat, but this one isnt any better. Unbalanced classes, the game is not forgiving to an suboptimal party like the premade party , puzzles already seen ages ago, how many times did i solve the three levers three doors puzzles ? Lot of backtracking to refill rations and potions to artificially make the game longer. A very generic fantasy world, no risks at all,no sci fi , no sillyness, understandable seeing even warhorse studio cant publish their game nowaday, but still....

There is quite a lot of silliness and Cameos of Sci-fi stuff.

Other stuff i don't know, as they almost solely hinge on 'you are playing a suboptimal party' so i guess if you get a bad party you might rely on luck or need to backtrack for rations.

EDIT: It does seem to me that a lot of the complaints are things that would only happen if you are unlucky enough to both get the default party and then not be careful about potion/ration management (and increase the wrong stats/spells/gear).

Maybe a LOT of my 'Crusaders don't suck from the get go' from me being ridiculously lucky and getting a relentless sword in the Lighthouse (that i kept until act III), as it meant my crusader never had issues using warfare, for example.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom