Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Microsoft introduces stupidity tax

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
spekkio said:
I really don't understand - why do you need new good RPG so badly?
Because some of us crave for progress? For the future that was promised by games like Darklands, Ultima VII or Fallout?

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BRO THANKS TO SOME PEOPLE HERE I HAVE A BACKLOG OF COOL SHIT I WANT TO PLAY SO REALLY IF FALLOUT 10 JUST HAS OU PRESS ONE BUTTON TO WIN THEN I DONT GIVE A SHIT THERE ARE A HUNDRED OLD GAMES I CAN PLAY OR REPLAY THAT ARE BETTER

BROS FOR EXAMPLE DRAGON AGE SOUNDED GAY SO I DID SOMETHING TOTALLY RETARTED I JUST DIDNT PLAY IT

BROS LOLLOLOLOL IF YOU PLAY GAMES YOU KNOW YOU WILL HATE YOU ARE NO BRIAN SURGEON

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
KINGSTON BRO I AM TALKING ON AVERAGE OF COURSE NES GAMES WERE EASY TO PUCK UO AND PLAY BECAUSE THERE WASNT THAT MANY BUTTONS

BRO MOST NEW RPG STRATEGY OTR ACTION GAMES TEACH YOU WHAT TODO ALONG THE WAY NOW BRO ULTIMA WAS LIKE SAVE THE WORLD GOOD LUCK WITH THAT SHIT LOLLOL

spekkio

Arcane
Awor Szurkrarz said:
For the future that was promised by games like Darklands, Ultima VII or Fallout?
What future are you talking about? Good things simply happen from time to time.
Like Mozart, Beethoven, Beetles or Davis in music, Cervantes, Dostoyevsky or Irving in literature etc. Why should we assume that creating computer games is a straight path leading to constant progress? Studios like Microprose or Looking Glass Studios showed up at the right time (most creative period of gaming industry) and they created some great games. Currently creating such games is IMO impossible. Developers that would be capable of that are out of the business, not interested or insane (Brosius, Spector, Molyneux), the rest of the developers is simply not competent enough, publishers don't want to sell such games and clients don't want to buy them. Welcome to 2010.

SRRY TO BREK IT FOR YOU BRO. :(

Yes the time for making games that devs *themselves* want to make and have envisioned is truly over, at least in the mainstream. There are always Indies which are on the level that the first (professional) games in the 80's were all about where freedom and creativity reigned, the only downside is that people that want to make games generally jump at the chance and grovel their way into the mainstream houses instead of branching out onto their own. Guess people prefer money over freedom.

Bullshit excuse. When the old devs were selling games out of their garages did they whinge about not having enough money? Probably but that's not the point, they stuck to it, didn't back down and take an easy way out like the kiddies of today.

Phelot

Arcane
Satori said:
Bullshit excuse. When the old devs were selling games out of their garages did they whinge about not having enough money? Probably but that's not the point, they stuck to it, didn't back down and take an easy way out like the kiddies of today.

Well, what is tragic about all the oldies is that they eventually do succumb to the crazy dream of wanting a steady pay check.

But I agree and it's a shame. Most of the old guys weren't business men. They just wanted to make their dreams and they seemed to.

I suspect a lot of young bucks get into the business today thinking they're going to be making all these great games and then their manager sits down and has a meeting with them to tell them they're gonna make Flash games for the rest of their lives. Then it probably turns into a 9-5 job that also requires them to work super late hours all for the glory of having their "dream job."

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
spekkio said:
Awor Szurkrarz said:
For the future that was promised by games like Darklands, Ultima VII or Fallout?
What future are you talking about? Good things simply happen from time to time.
Like Mozart, Beethoven, Beetles or Davis in music, Cervantes, Dostoyevsky or Irving in literature etc. Why should we assume that creating computer games is a straight path leading to constant progress? Studios like Microprose or Looking Glass Studios showed up at the right time (most creative period of gaming industry) and they created some great games. Currently creating such games is IMO impossible. Developers that would be capable of that are out of the business, not interested or insane (Brosius, Spector, Molyneux), the rest of the developers is simply not competent enough, publishers don't want to sell such games and clients don't want to buy them. Welcome to 2010.

SRRY TO BREK IT FOR YOU BRO. :(
So? It's not like it removes the need for games that are better than Darklands, Ultima VII and Fallout.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Satori said:
Bullshit excuse. When the old devs were selling games out of their garages did they whinge about not having enough money? Probably but that's not the point
It does become the point since all the successful ones made millions. How do you think LB funded his trip into space? or how did JVC fund his car racing hobby? Back then you could be innovative AND make lots of money.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
The Xbox Live Gold membership in itself is a stupidity tax. Pay money to play games online over my internet connection for which I also pay money when both pc gaming and their biggest console competitor offer that for free? Fuck 'em.

Sceptic said:
Satori said:
Bullshit excuse. When the old devs were selling games out of their garages did they whinge about not having enough money? Probably but that's not the point
It does become the point since all the successful ones made millions. How do you think LB funded his trip into space? or how did JVC fund his car racing hobby? Back then you could be innovative AND make lots of money.
IF you were willing to put in the time and effort in creating something new and refreshing, which is nigh impossible these days especially since all the new kids are foregoing the creating part and skipping straight to being nameless whitecollar code monkeys for the guys that *did* make it.

Phelot

Arcane
Sceptic said:
Satori said:

These guys sold their businesses to major companies. That's really how they made their money.

Trash said:
The Xbox Live Gold membership in itself is a stupidity tax. Pay money to play games online over my internet connection for which I also pay money when both pc gaming and their biggest console competitor offer that for free? Fuck 'em.

The scam is that Microsoft doesn't even host servers to play on. Games are hosted locally on someone's Xbox, so all you are paying microsoft is for about 5KB worth of bandwidth to act as a matchmaker when you log in. If they were providing high quality dedicated servers for all of their games their fee would be half-reasonable (though still ridiculously overpriced). As it is, the account fees are probably 98% profit. In the realm of squeezing clueless customers by the balls to see what they can get out, its as bad as text messaging fees on cellphones.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
phelot said:
These guys sold their businesses to major companies. That's really how they made their money.
The truth of this statement made me sad :(

spekkio

Arcane
Trash said:
Clockwork Knight said:
If only you faggets weren't copying floppies left and right
I actually started out with tapes. Now that was a pain in the ass.
Yup, I remember creating my first best-games-evar complilations for C64 using dual cassette player. :M
Playing them now is much easier: link

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
The interesting thing about a stupidity tax is that the threshold is quite high due to the stupidity of the tax payers.

Hell, I bet if micro$oft tacked on some lame feature and then jacked the price up even more, they could easily get away with it.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
They could get away with jacking the price up without even taking on a lame feature...

Even better, I remember that there was a lot of butthurt a while back over Microsoft removing features. I don't think there is any end to what they can get away with.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom