Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Microsoft introduces stupidity tax

http://www.csmonitor.com/Innovation/Hor ... r-November

Put your ear to the ground. Hear that groaning? That's the sound of thousands of Xbox Live users across the globe reacting to news that Microsoft will soon increase rates on all Gold memberships by as much as ten bucks. According to Microsoft, beginning in November, Xbox Live Gold packages will be bumped from $50 to $60 for a year, and $20 to $25 for three months. Monthly fees will increase from $8 to $10.

To add insult to injury, they won't even support their games - Halo 2 servers were, as you might know, shut down even though it had a fairly large community still playing it.

That said, Xbox tards will probably forget it next month as soon as something shiny is released.

chzr

Scholar
don't worry, they won't stop praising their exbawks for being cheaper then pcs

Phelot

Arcane
While $60 a year really isn't a lot of money, it certainly is a slap in the face for people that still remember being able to play online for free...

zeitgeist

Magister
phelot said:
While $60 a year really isn't a lot of money, it certainly is a slap in the face for people that still remember being able to play online for free...
People who remember and care aren't the target market for anything anymore.

Phelot

Arcane
zeitgeist said:
phelot said:
People who remember and care aren't the target market for anything anymore.

You know what's really shocking is that a lot of console players are my age (mid twenties) and yet have barely played any games before XBox. They really have broken into the whole casual gamer BS.

A lot of these guys really play into the whole geek chic stuff too. They're really into "tech apps" and read Wired and know all the internet memes and yet they can't name old video games beyond Mario Brothers and Pac Man which they say were "AWESOME"

Geek chic killed gaming. When games stopped being stigmatized and started being "cool", gaming died.

Luckily, strategy games still aren't cool.

zeitgeist

Magister
phelot said:
You know what's really shocking is that a lot of console players are my age (mid twenties) and yet have barely played any games before XBox. They really have broken into the whole casual gamer BS.
A lot of these guys really play into the whole geek chic stuff too. They're really into "tech apps" and read Wired and know all the internet memes and yet they can't name old video games beyond Mario Brothers and Pac Man which they say were "AWESOME"
What baffles me most is that ESA industry statistics show this:
ESA said:
The average game player is 34 years old and has been playing games for 12 years.
And make no mistake about it - that's not the average game buyer (so it's not a bunch of moms buying games for their middle school kid - those are 40), but the average game player. So in theory, games should mainly be produced for a reasonably mature person who wasn't "born yesterday" (on average they'd have started their gaming careers around the time of Fallout 2 which although a bit late still isn't that bad). The apparent disconnect between this and the target market AAA games are actually made for is something I haven't been able to explain to myself yet.

DriacKin

Arbiter
For what its worth, it's not as if microsoft is just being greedy. Plenty of data shows that they've been losing money on the X360. Personally, I can't really blame them for wanting to bring some additional revenue.

That being said, I sure as hell ain't gonna buy a 360 or any damn $60 online service...

Erzherzog

Magister
phelot said:

Such as people gaming on the PS3?

Say what you will, but most of my friends are PS3 gamers and they nearly knocked me out when they told me online is free.

Since I never use my 360, I thought about selling it and buying a PS3. Never did though. I hate multi-system gaming.

DriacKin

Arbiter
Flying Spaghetti Monster said:
Geek chic killed gaming. When games stopped being stigmatized and started being "cool", gaming died.

Luckily, strategy games still aren't cool.

Not if Blizzard has anything to say about it...

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
phelot said:
Rmemeber? I still play online for free :smug:

Black

Arcane
Stupidity tax? It's called paying for a console, let alone paying for online.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS TO BE HONEST ALMOST ALL OF THE FAGS WHO COMPLAIN IN THIS THREAD ARE A BUNCH OF RETARDS

FAG BROS WHO NEVER PLAYED OLDSCHOOL GAMES TALKING ABOUT OLDSCHOOL GAMES TO PEOPLE WHO PLAYED OLDSCHOOL GAMES SINCE THEY CAME OUT

GET OVER IT YOU ARE SOMEWHAT OLDER NEWFAGS WHO COMPLAIN ABOUT NEWER NEWFAGS

Exmit

Scholar
BRO , ARE YOU WORKING FOR MICROXBAWKS ? BRO WHY BRO WHY?

Topher

Cipher
Yeah, the price increase has been causing chaos over at gamefaqs for a few days and here I thought the damn thing was overpriced at $50.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS IF YOU WERE WHING ABOUT THE PLAYSTATION IT WOULD BOTHER ME JUST AS MUCH LOLLOLOLOLOL I FORGET THIS IS FUCKING GAMESPOT AND ALL THE PS3 PEOPLE GET ALL UPSET IF YOU DONT GIVE A SHIT ABOUT EVEIL MICROSOFT AND THE FAGBOX FANS GET ALL UPSET IF YOU ARENT MAD AT PS3

LLOOLLOLLOL FAGS GO BACK TO GAMESPOT LOLLOLOLLOL THIS FORUM IS SOMETIMES GOOD YOU FUCKS MAKE IT A BIGGER JOKE THEN I EVER COULD LOLLOLLOLLOLOL

BROS WHO DO YOU THINK WILL WIN XBOX OR PS OR WII LOILLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL

LOLLOLLOLLOLLOL BROS LETS GO BACK TO THE XBOXS VS PS3 THREAD

Cassidy

Arcane
BLOBERT said:
BROS IF YOU WERE WHING ABOUT THE PLAYSTATION IT WOULD BOTHER ME JUST AS MUCH LOLLOLOLOLOL I FORGET THIS IS FUCKING GAMESPOT AND ALL THE PS3 PEOPLE GET ALL UPSET IF YOU DONT GIVE A SHIT ABOUT EVEIL MICROSOFT AND THE FAGBOX FANS GET ALL UPSET IF YOU ARENT MAD AT PS3

LLOOLLOLLOL FAGS GO BACK TO GAMESPOT LOLLOLOLLOL THIS FORUM IS SOMETIMES GOOD YOU FUCKS MAKE IT A BIGGER JOKE THEN I EVER COULD LOLLOLLOLLOLOL

BROS WHO DO YOU THINK WILL WIN XBOX OR PS OR WII LOILLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL

LOLLOLLOLLOLLOL BROS LETS GO BACK TO THE XBOXS VS PS3 THREAD

I wonder why people bitch over the fact BLOBERT is pointing out how the supposed elitists of Codexia demonstrate to care so much about something that would be of no consequence to them unless they were Xbox360 consoletards.

:brofist:

attackfighter

Magister
DriacKin said:
Not if Blizzard has anything to say about it...

Indeed, I was watching someone stream StarCraft 2 when suddenly he brought up his facebook page and started talking about how nice his abs were. What really made me sad was that his stream was being sponsored :(

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
"The average consumer is stupid. If you'd turn them upside down and shake, not a single thought would fall out." Johann Wolfgang Goethe

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
zeitgeist said:
What baffles me most is that ESA industry statistics show this:
ESA said:
The average game player is 34 years old and has been playing games for 12 years.
And make no mistake about it - that's not the average game buyer (so it's not a bunch of moms buying games for their middle school kid - those are 40), but the average game player. So in theory, games should mainly be produced for a reasonably mature person who wasn't "born yesterday" (on average they'd have started their gaming careers around the time of Fallout 2 which although a bit late still isn't that bad). The apparent disconnect between this and the target market AAA games are actually made for is something I haven't been able to explain to myself yet.
The average player probably has never played any of great games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom