Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Metro 2033 on sale on Steam today only for $13.60

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
I know this is kind of late notice but this is dirt cheap for this game. It's normally at least $39.99, and is nearly impossible to still find in stores.

So, if you haven't already torrented it (you filthy pirate scum) you may want to consider buying it on Steam, today only (27th Oct) at that price.

It's a pretty neat shooter, btw. Read some of the reviews.

http://pc.ign.com/articles/107/1078922p1.html

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/metro ... %3Breviews

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
That IGN review is rape. This game must either be truly shitty or really awesome to get a score like that.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
I've played the demo. It's an impressive game, on the technical side of things, especially when full DX11 features are enabled, and as a game itself it didn't seem horrible. The character models, voiceovers, and general creepy atmosphere are all a bit better than in their STALKER games, but it's obviously more of a linear game, being a more traditional shooter.

I'm mostly in it for the run and gun shit, plus to give my system a good workout. For that price, why not?

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Yeah, the low graphic score in that review is particularly puzzling. I torrented this game a while back to try my brand new GTX 460 with it. It is the only game which was able to bring my card to its knees, particularly when turning tessellation on. Never felt like playing it though. The action felt a bit... flimsy. Like you would shoot something but never truly felt you were hitting anything until the monster just toppled over after a while seemingly for no reason. Didn't seem very engaging to me.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Yeah, the atmosphere and graphics were great, but there was something wrong with the shooting... never felt really fluid, or like it had weight. Hard to explain.

I plan to finish it someday though.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I think someone best explained it as Cut Scenes: The Game... oh and you shoot stuff sometimes.

Sgizo

Educated
I played through it last week. Had a lot of fun, especially sneaking around and trying to kill enemies silently. The run and gun approach was less fun, though I didn't have any problems with the shooting itself, it just wasn't as exciting. The atmosphere is also very engrossing, I really enjoyed it. The story is meh, a rehash of I, Legend.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Lyric Suite said:
That IGN review is rape. This game must either be truly shitty or really awesome to get a score like that.

It's truly shitty. Unless you enjoy playing mini-games a la "stand still and shoot incoming enemies" in between 200 meters long linear corridors with 7-8 enemies until the next loading screen comes. And the horrible amount of cutscenes - uhhhhhh

Lyric Suite said:
I torrented this game a while back to try my brand new GTX 460 with it. It is the only game which was able to bring my card to its knees, particularly when turning tessellation on.
Bad performance in a multiplatform shooter is not a sign of a graphically advanced game. And yes it's very much a port - as it doesn't even have PC like controls and any reasonable graphics settings.
Considering that in those few better detailed outdoors I had perfect performance while in a nearly empty corridor the performance was crawling at times. That's Stalker devs for you.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom