Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Metalheart: Replicants Rampage

Calis

Pensionado
This is the comments thread for <A HREF="/gamedetails.php?id=64">Metalheart: Replicants Rampage</A>

A cyberpunk turn-based RPG that features huge game universe, tactical team combat, implants, and 4 races: replicants, cyborgs, mutants, and nomads.

Eyeball

Arcane
I tried it. It wanted to be Fallout but writing is almost nonexistent, graphical style only passable and combat an atrocious turn-based mess that fails at ripping off FOs simple but effective and stylish model.

Avoid. Play Restricted Area instead, which is a fun cyberpunk hack and slash.

Topher

Cipher
jagged-jimmy said:
I had some hopes for the Restricted Area, but its total trash, dont try it at home.

I actually bought that game a few years ago. I still haven't tried it but I've still got those disks just sitting around here. Does anyone remember Enemy Infestation?

Heechee

Liturgist
Eyeball said:
I tried it. It wanted to be Fallout but writing is almost nonexistent, graphical style only passable and combat an atrocious turn-based mess that fails at ripping off FOs simple but effective and stylish model.

Avoid. Play Restricted Area instead, which is a fun cyberpunk hack and slash.

At first I thought it's excellent trolling. But then I realized the game is so bad that in a way it is good.

Reminded me of this old review http://www.somethingawful.com/d/game-reviews/restricted-area.php?page=1

Eyeball

Arcane
That review is a bunch of faggotassery designed to garner cheap lulz. Did you play it or are you simply relying on the opinion of the SA shitdrinkers?

Restricted Area could have and should have been the best game in history, but it was rushed, which is obvious. In its present form, it is still a very enjoyable little Cyberpunk Diablo 2 with Gunz for those who enjoy lootwhoring. I've never found another game where finding more equipment was this much fun, and money actually serves a FUNCTION, as you can keep spending money to upgrade your weapons, making it a lot more important than in games like Diablo.

It also includes the hacking minigame, which is simplistic but is still very innovative for that kind of game.

Add to that the random mission generator clearly inspired by Genesis Shadowrun, and the end result is a nice way to kill some time, especially considering it costs like 5 dollars these days.

I wish I hadn't pirated it when it first came out and thus contributed to driving its devs back to making uninspired medieval Diablo 2 clones :(

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Eyeball said:
That review is a bunch of faggotassery designed to garner cheap lulz. Did you play it or are you simply relying on the opinion of the SA shitdrinkers?
i bought restricted area when it first came out (which is the german release, not the international) and the game was much worse then than the sa review makes it out to be, including multiplayer that would have each player see his own client's enemies and loot but not the other's.

Shiny

Novice
Restricted Area sucks as does Replicants Rampage. Restricted Area has 3 backgrounds that it recycled without any character development and RR has no story whatsoever. Play the community translated version of "The Fall: The last days of Gaia" for a marginally better experience than both of them.

Remember I said marginally

Heechee

Liturgist
Eyeball said:

Restricted Area could have and should have been the best game in history, but it was rushed, which is obvious. In its present form, it is still a very enjoyable little Cyberpunk Diablo 2 with Gunz for those who enjoy lootwhoring. I've never found another game where finding more equipment was this much fun, and money actually serves a FUNCTION, as you can keep spending money to upgrade your weapons, making it a lot more important than in games like Diablo.

It also includes the hacking minigame, which is simplistic but is still very innovative for that kind of game.

Add to that the random mission generator clearly inspired by Genesis Shadowrun, and the end result is a nice way to kill some time, especially considering it costs like 5 dollars these days.

I wish I hadn't pirated it when it first came out and thus contributed to driving its devs back to making uninspired medieval Diablo 2 clones :(

I did play the game and it's utter shit, just as described in the review. I don't understand how any sane person could consider it "a very enjoyable little Cyberpunk Diablo 2". Actually, I cannot remember any worse Diablo clone. It must be either nostalgia, or trolling.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
The science fiction diablo clone genre seems to attract a special kind of tragic failure. Except for Alien Shooter Vengeance. Or if you like the Shadowgrounds series.

Eyeball

Arcane
heechee1 said:
I did play the game and it's utter shit, just as described in the review. I don't understand how any sane person could consider it "a very enjoyable little Cyberpunk Diablo 2". Actually, I cannot remember any worse Diablo clone. It must be either nostalgia, or trolling.
Maybe - I have a very emotional relationship with Genesis Shadowrun, so seeing as RA is simply that crossed with Diablo 2 minus budget, that might explain why I'm so fond of RA.

But come on, at least give it credit for the innovative ideas it had, such as having cyberware implants (more than 10 equippable at once) instead of armour, weapons being repeatedly upgradeable for cash, the (admittedly unbalanced) random mission generator and for simply trying something DIFFERENT rather than just dumping you in yet another uninspired fantasy/sci fi world with lazors and orks. Cyberpunk fo lyfe!

And Space Hack is worse, as is Silverfall and Greed: Black Border.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom