Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Caim

Arcane
So this game features a fallen hero with a fucked up arm whose sidekick is a dog that uses a bladed weapon in its mouth. Where have I seen that before? Oh, right.

31651640_m.jpg

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
A nice recap about the main storyline of Metal Gears:

The plot might be goofy at times, convuluted, but if you look at the whole universe Kojima built up, the main story arch, I can safely say that this guy is a genius.

34scell

Augur
The plot might be goofy at times, convuluted, but if you look at the whole universe Kojima built up, the main story arch, I can safely say that this guy is a genius.

I think this is what you call a non sequitur :lol:

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
What I got from that video:

Guy sitting on carpet is seriously retarded.
Kojima is grossly overrated.
Guy sitting on carpet is seriously retarded.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
Another 10 - this one from IGN

I know IGN is pretty much garbage, but they don't hand out 10s that often. The game is going to be at the very least a lot of fun.

Nryn

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Skimming through the reviews, the game seems to excel as a stealth sandbox, with multiple paths and puzzle-like elements to the missions themselves. But as I feared, the storytelling relies heavily on cassette tapes to advance character and plot development (sometimes off-screen). Not a fan of this kind of storytelling at all, and I'm skeptical of it carrying the game through 150+ missions.

I'm expecting the game to be fun to play, as even the story-less VR missions were a blast in MGS1 and 2, but I'm going to have to approach the game with a different mindset compared to MGS 1-4.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
Another 10 from Gamespot
Another 10 from Respawn
5/5's from DailyDot and Examiner
A 10/10 from Metal Gear Informer (ok that one is definitely pretty biased lol)

itz happening men. itz fucking happening. we can finally quit vidya as a whole when this is released.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
MGSV just cucked the witcher 3 and bamham out of existence. Here's to hoping that the proles are disappointed by Fallout 4 through some divine miracle..!

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
You are talking about the review scores? Because Fallout is going to get 10 straight through hehe

Bigg Boss

Arcane
My worries are related to the plot. If it doesn't have at least a few hour long cut scenes it doesn't feel like Metal Gear (Solid).

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
You are talking about the review scores? Because Fallout is going to get 10 straight through hehe

Mostly talking about GOTY awards. I know it doesn't matter, but it'd be nice to see Toddler get beaten by a game with actual passion and vision behind it like TPP.

why are people getting excited over review scores?

Because it's an indicator that there isn't anything glaringly wrong with the game. There was some nervousness that due to the KonamixKojima bullshit, and the fact that KojiPro was disbanded, that maybe the game would be unfinished or lacking. We now have a strong basis to believe that the game will be of quality relative of at least MGS1-4.

Yeah, scores don't matter that much, but it's nice to see.

My worries are related to the plot. If it doesn't have at least a few hour long cut scenes it doesn't feel like Metal Gear (Solid).

I don't know if there will be anything nearly as long as Epilogue in MGS4, but apparently this game is legitimately 30-50 hours long; I'm sure they snuck in a couple hours worth of cutscenes. (Though it seems that listening to the cassette tapes is pretty mandatory since they're the codec replacement)

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Domo arigato Kojima San you delivered as always, the best game in the franchise as forseen
I am really torn, I have always bought my metal gear day one, but now I am torn giving my hard earned cash to damn Konami but maybe huge sales will change their minds on Kojima....

Steve

Augur
Apparently motherbase invasions will be behind a paywall

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, which GameSpot recently reviewed and gave a 10, will ship on September 1 in North America and Europe, but access to its competitive multiplayer mode, Forward Operating Base, will be restricted behind a microtransaction paywall.

In The Phantom Pain, players use various resources acquired within the game to facilitate the construction of an off-shore base, but in order to participate in the online multiplayer mode, where players attack each other's bases, they must first use real-world money to purchase MB Coins. MB Coins are then used to purchase open water in the game to make space for a PVP-dedicated base. This was discovered during GameSpot's review process for The Phantom Pain, but without online functionality, we couldn't determine the cost of MB Coins, or fully evaluate F.O.B. mode.

When reached for comment, Konami's public relations team responded: "...unfortunately we don’t have any official details to share at the moment regarding the microtransaction model for F.O.B.. I should have more information for you next week though as those details are still be solidified."

GameSpot's review of Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain will be updated after the F.O.B. mode goes live on September 1.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/metal-gear-solid-5s-online-pvp-mode-locked-behind-/1100-6429981/

:negative:

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
so on consoles you have to pay double for online? console online fee + microtransactions? :lol:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom