Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Medieval themed action RPG\action hybrids

Saxon1974

Prophet
Anyone know of RPG's or action games with an RPG feel that are set in Medieval times and not a fantasy world?

Been playing Darklands lately, but outside of that haven't found very many games set during the middle ages that aren't a fantasy world.

What about this game? It's listed under action but if its set in medieval times I might still like it (Im a medieval history fan).

http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/k ... al-crusade

I even played Medieval total war 2, good game but I don't like strategy much.

Im surprised there aren't more games set during medieval times, seems like a great setting for an RPG, but I guess fantasy sells better.

Mogar

Scholar
Mount and Blade could qualify as one. It does take place in a fantasy world, but in so much as the kingdoms have different names then their real world counterparts. You won't find any elves or dwarves in the game and there is absolutely no magic. In fact, the setting is medieval to the point of being mundane. As of now, an outstanding combat system and some amazing mods (many of them that actually change it to a real world medieval setting) are the only things it has going for it. As of now, though, the vanilla game has many flaws such as: the factions being only slightly different from each other, the setting is extremely underdeveloped, the characters are bland, quest lines are too similar, and the story is practically nonexistent, but even with all those flaws, its kinda fun. You can check out the free demo over at there site to see if you like it.

Saxon1974

Prophet
Mogar said:
Mount and Blade could qualify as one. It does take place in a fantasy world, but in so much as the kingdoms have different names then their real world counterparts. You won't find any elves or dwarves in the game and there is absolutely no magic. In fact, the setting is medieval to the point of being mundane. As of now, an outstanding combat system and some amazing mods (many of them that actually change it to a real world medieval setting) are the only things it has going for it. As of now, though, the vanilla game has many flaws such as: the factions being only slightly different from each other, the setting is extremely underdeveloped, the characters are bland, quest lines are too similar, and the story is practically nonexistent, but even with all those flaws, its kinda fun. You can check out the free demo over at there site to see if you like it.

I thought about playing Mount & Blade but have avoided it due to the negatives you mention. I might give it a shot though. There is always one of my favorite C64 games Defender of the Crown to play if I need a medieval fix.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Knights of the Temple is a good action game. No RPG though, not at all. But good action game. Does get a few fantasy elements later on, though, with you fighting demons and stuff.

And, while also a fantasy RPG, I found Witcher to have a nice medievall-ish atmosphere in the city of Vizima. Definitely one of the most medieval-looking towns in an RPG.

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
The fist half of Vampire The Masquerade: Redemption. It's set in medieval Prague. The Karlovy bridge and the jewish cemetery are in the game - it has a very good atmosphere.

lordfrikk

Scholar
asper said:
The fist half of Vampire The Masquerade: Redemption. It's set in medieval Prague. The Karlovy bridge and the jewish cemetery are in the game - it has a very good atmosphere.

I believe it's Charles Bridge in English. :) The strange hybrid between Czech and English is confusing.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Conquerer, or whatever it's called.

You start out creating your character with several "What would you do?" questions that also affect your starting items. Then you ride around as a knight, developing your land and conquering others in FPS-battles and improve your stats and hunt a dragon.

mondblut

Arcane
Conqueror AD 1086 it is. A great game for its time.

A couple of Arthurian-themed RPG/adventure/strategy hybrids, Spirit of Excalibur and Vengeance of Excalibur.

But Darklands really is an ultimate medieval experience.

mondblut

Arcane
Not really. Consider War in Middle-Earth turned into a totally railroaded adventure crap. Forget to recruit those Knights Who Say 'Ni' or buy that potion of something in this backwater village in time, fast forward one hour, you lose. War in ME is far better game than either of Excaliburs.

Multi-headed Cow

Conqueror A.D. 1086 was what I was hoping Mount and Blade was going to be like. I was a bit disappointed. Conqueror was a neat game at the time. The Excalibur games Mondblut mentioned were fun too. Can't say as I'd really recommend any of them nowadays though.

Probably go for Mount and Blade with the Native Expansion mod, unless you've got the testicular fortitude to stick with Conqueror.

Incidentally, did you ever manage to kill the dragon in Conqueror? Damn thing always beat me.

Saxon1974

Prophet
JarlFrank said:
Knights of the Temple is a good action game. No RPG though, not at all. But good action game. Does get a few fantasy elements later on, though, with you fighting demons and stuff.

And, while also a fantasy RPG, I found Witcher to have a nice medievall-ish atmosphere in the city of Vizima. Definitely one of the most medieval-looking towns in an RPG.

Played Knights of the Temple a bit, your right its all action. Is there any dialog or is the game all fighting the entire way? I think the setting and atmosphere are pretty good. My god it has the worst camera i have ever seen, I feel like Im walking backwards alot of the time!

Probably off topic since this is an RPG forum though.

Demons Souls on PS3...

Light on RPG, but you do get to create different builds by changeing attribute, magic, and equipment.

And the action is really hardcore.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Saxon1974 said:
JarlFrank said:

Played Knights of the Temple a bit, your right its all action. Is there any dialog or is the game all fighting the entire way? I think the setting and atmosphere are pretty good. My god it has the worst camera i have ever seen, I feel like Im walking backwards alot of the time!

Fighting only. Pure action game. Only "RPG" element would be the new combos you learn as you use your weapon. That's it. No dialogue, just fighting. The sequel is supposed to have some dialogue, though, haven't tried it yet. I have it on my hard disk though and will play it about next week or so when my PC works again [on laptop now, PC's PSU is fucked].

Saxon1974

Prophet
JarlFrank said:
Saxon1974 said:
JarlFrank said:

Fighting only. Pure action game. Only "RPG" element would be the new combos you learn as you use your weapon. That's it. No dialogue, just fighting. The sequel is supposed to have some dialogue, though, haven't tried it yet. I have it on my hard disk though and will play it about next week or so when my PC works again [on laptop now, PC's PSU is fucked].

Ok thanks. Im glad I tried the demo and didnt buy it then.

Let me know about Temple 2 if you ever play it.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Sure, try Mount and Blade. It's not really a good game, but surprisingly addictive.

Saxon1974 said:
There is always one of my favorite C64 games Defender of the Crown to play if I need a medieval fix.

I have played that on the C64 (when I was very young) and it was one of my first ground breaking experiences in gaming (as were Pirates and Elite). Well, it may not be what you are looking for, but to me Shogun Total War was the game that came closest to the Defender of the Crown experience. STW was actually even better in almost every respect, and I'd rank it higher.

denizsi

Arcane
Knights of the Temple also have some stunning level design in some places, so I'm glad I've played the game to the end, but gameplay-wise, second half of the game was a chore and I certainly won't be playing it ever again.

KOTT2 is a terrible piece of shit, I don't know how they managed to fuck up the straight action game formula so bad. When I've first read about the game and the supposed RPG-lite elements, I was kind of hyped, but it was one of the letdowns of any game for me.

There are 3 or 4 mainland campaigns (you 'sail' to these locations so you start on docks of each city) which you can do in any order but there is no point to it. One takes place in what looks like a stormy and plage-ridden metropol in Roman Empire, the other is a sunny Egypt-Arabian themed place that is as generic as it gets, I don't remember the other(s). Despite being able to choose which one you do first, they do vary in difficulty. There is lots of, just lots of backtracking, with lots of loading areas. Camera is worse, combat controls are worse.

Level design is mostly terrible. Practically, the game has nothing to do with KOTT in any visual or thematic sense. Also, very little graphical progress over the first game for a significant performance hit. Probably poorly optimized.

Combat in general is harder but not because the game is more challenging but that controls are bad and since autosave spots are only in certain places, dying in combat means the game loads back to a previous area, from where you have to enter the new loading area again for the same combat encounter.

There were some force-fed dialogue, if you could call it that, with local NPCs. Oh also, you can't just do any attacks in neutral areas, unless you will be ambushed.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom