Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Mechwarrior Living Legends

Mechs

• Total voters

Hag

Arbiter
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Yeah, if only it was played as much as de_dust2... Whatever, how the game's doing lately ? Haven't fired it in years.

Black

Arcane
how the game's doing lately ?
Eh, same as it's been for some time now. Some days you get the critical mass to play a fun, full game on a big map some days you don't.

Hag

Arbiter
Patron
Oh well, I'll probably reinstall when I have enough time for long MP games. Starting to feel the itch again.

Hag

Arbiter
Patron
Riveting gameplay of running around for 5 minutes to find a 30 second fight.
Funny you mention it, after some playing some this week I thought it was like those DCS videos I sometimes watch : lot of moving around, peeking, trying to find out the weak spot in the enemy lines, and the right timing to attack. There is lot of non-combat gameplay, and you can play a dedicated support asset with a big radar and it is actually fun and really helpful. Fights are the final leg of the attack, when you've maneuvered in the right position to strike at a busy, unwary or overconfident mech, and aborting is always an option.
You should try it if you enjoy Mechwarrior stuff.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Riveting gameplay of running around for 5 minutes to find a 30 second fight.
Funny you mention it, after some playing some this week I thought it was like those DCS videos I sometimes watch : lot of moving around, peeking, trying to find out the weak spot in the enemy lines, and the right timing to attack. There is lot of non-combat gameplay, and you can play a dedicated support asset with a big radar and it is actually fun and really helpful. Fights are the final leg of the attack, when you've maneuvered in the right position to strike at a busy, unwary or overconfident mech, and aborting is always an option.
You should try it if you enjoy Mechwarrior stuff.
I mean, I would, but seeing the servers being like 6 vs 6 is off-putting.

Hag

Arbiter
Patron
Yeah, I know.
Actually 6 vs 6 starts to be enjoyable in Terrain Control. Lower number makes for good duel training which is a much needed skill when shit gets hot.
However servers are usually populated early night, starting 9-10PM Paris time, which is late considering some games last 80 minutes, but beggars can't be choosers. I've had several 15v15 games this week (which is actually a bit too much to my taste but makes for some glorious chaos).

Hag

Arbiter
Patron
Also had one of the weirdest gaming experience of my life when a game turned into an unplanned Easter egg hunting in TC_Qandahar. There is some strange stuff going on that map.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Yeah, I know.
Actually 6 vs 6 starts to be enjoyable in Terrain Control. Lower number makes for good duel training which is a much needed skill when shit gets hot.
However servers are usually populated early night, starting 9-10PM Paris time, which is late considering some games last 80 minutes, but beggars can't be choosers. I've had several 15v15 games this week (which is actually a bit too much to my taste but makes for some glorious chaos).
Oh it's that kind of game?
I thought it was supposed to simulate proper battles with 64vs64...

Black

Arcane
Yeah, I know.
*16vs16

Hag

Arbiter
Patron
64vs64 would be something.
Consider that despite maps doing several km square, your average mech goes 86km/h and has weapons that can hit over 1km, plus missiles that can track further. Mechs are also very resilient (probably the most obvious difference from classical MW games) and can take a lot of punishment. Scoring a kill is not easy and is usually a matter of teamplay. Getting behind the enemy lines is difficult (and the easiest way to die) and the battles are fought more by outmaneuvering that outgunning the opponent. Il you join a 10vs10 game, you'll see that's already a proper battle. This is not a boomheadshot FPS.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom