Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Mechajammer (formerly Copper Dreams) - cyberpunk RPG from Whalenought Studios

ArchAngel

Arcane
Only reason why I never tried to run the game even with it being part of my Steam library is due to all the bugs and broken mechanics that others reported.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Nah, every single one of his comments is completely justified. I pirate every game before I try it precisely to avoid the types of issues that others in the thread faced. It's only after I assess the game's quality that I pay for it. To date, the only games I've found worth of paying for are Underrail, Age of Decadence, Dungeon Rats, Disco Elysium, Vagrus, Knights of the Chalice I & II, and Sunless Sea.

If I had actually spent money on a kickstarter/game, and it turned out to be terrible, I'd undeniably be annoyed as well. If anything, being annoyed is the correct reaction. I have a sort of obligation to be magnanimous because I am undeniably doing something I shouldn't (when it relates to indie titles anyway) be by pirating content, but there are a ton of Codexers that spend their had earned money to support these games, many times at full price and before development is even finished.

CyberWhale

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
If I had actually spent money on a kickstarter/game, and it turned out to be terrible, I'd undeniably be annoyed as well. If anything, being annoyed is the correct reaction. I have a sort of obligation to be magnanimous because I am undeniably doing something I shouldn't (when it relates to indie titles anyway) be by pirating content
You should pirate stuff whenever possible. If you like the game, you can buy it later on when you have money to spend at your disposal.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Didn't you sell of your collection?

Did you start anew?
mindx2 I too would like to know.
Sending another kid to college?
I did sell it years ago and my daughter is now a successful college educated member of the capitalist society for several years now (very proud dad!). I did begin my collection all over again during the Covid downtime as seen here: https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/mindx2s-pc-game-collection-v3-0.143075/

These pictures are out of date as the collection (IE prestigious PC museum) has grown quite a bit. I just can't seem to stay away for long!! I'll update the photos this summer to show off. Only have the one daughter so hopefully I keep this ver. 3.0 for awhile.

:martini:

ArchAngel

Arcane

Did you start anew?
I did sell it years ago and my daughter is now a successful college educated member of the capitalist society for several years now (very proud dad!). I did begin my collection all over again during the Covid downtime as seen here: https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/mindx2s-pc-game-collection-v3-0.143075/

These pictures are out of date as the collection (IE prestigious PC museum) has grown quite a bit. I just can't seem to stay away for long!! I'll update the photos this summer to show off. Only have the one daughter so hopefully I keep this ver. 3.0 for awhile.

I am sorry for your daughter. Better luck next time.

mindx2

Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Did you start anew?

Hey, it was a good investment as she already makes more $$$$ than I do! :)

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

Did you start anew?

Solid retirement strategy. Good work. :bro:

ArchAngel

Arcane

Did you start anew?

You do not take anything with you when you die, neither does she. More $$ does not help.

mindx2

Patron

Did you start anew?

You do not take anything with you when you die, neither does she. More $$ does not help.
... but it sure makes the here and now more comfortable. :lol:

Dhaze

Cipher
As it was demonstrated for the umpteenth time, Codexers are extraordinary cucks willing to slurp any developer's ass, [...]
[...] alas, the core audience will always remain loyal to a fault, so appeasing them is unnecessary. [...] As demonstrated ITT, it works and there is no point in changing the approach. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Obviously I can't speak for the others, but at least I can clarify my own stance on the matter.

Sympathy for Joe and Hannad is what I feel and display here, and in no way is sympathising synonymous with licking someone's ass.

As you rightly pointed out, Joe and Hannah have, with Copper Dreams/Mechajammer, a well-storied past of willfully ignoring even the sanest, most basic, sensible advice proffered them. They made a near-endless succession of quite frankly catastrophic decisions for their game, of such self-sabotaging bull-headedness I've rarely—if indeed ever—witnessed in any kind of creative endeavor. It's one thing to follow your intuition and, ignoring criticism to a degree, do what you deem best; it's another thing entirely to, as they did, ignore people who to you say, "Careful with that loaded gun pressed against your temple, you're gonna shoot yourself."

Consectary to this, I won't ever buy anything else from Whalenought; I think I made that more or less clear in the past, but if not, there. Now, evidently they've opted not to leave the industry behind but rather to forge onward, and hopefully they have since learned a number of cardinal lessons. Still, I personally don't think it's possible to make that grievous a series of mistakes, and eventually become what we'll here call a 'good' developer. The divide between what they did and what needed done is much too vast, and in my opinion can never be fully crossed.

Be that as it may, I genuinely sympathise with them. They tried earnestly. They failed spectacularly. And I commiserate, simply because I feel for people who provisionaly pour their heart into some ultimately fruitless endeavor. More: their failure being not my demise, and no one having forced me to buy Mechajammer, I have no reason to treat them as a lazar of sorts, unwelcome in these hallowed parts.

And I think that, possibly more than anyone here, I could have cause for grief with Joe and Hannah, as I'm pretty much the only one who actually played the fucking thing until the end.

mindx2

Patron

None

Scholar
I can say the same, as long as the game itself isn't broken. Presentation and style are always top notch, but the rest has been off putting enough to stay away.

For what it's worth, i hope Whalenought_Joe and co. can fully recover and find the success they deserve with future games. I do think they have the potential to one day make a truly fantastic RPG. From what I understand, Mechajammer's failure might have dealt a significant blow to y'all financially. That I hope, is the first thing that gets addressed.

almondblight

Arcane
Why? As it was demonstrated for the umpteenth time, Codexers are extraordinary cucks willing to slurp any developer's ass, even if the people in question hung them out to dry (numerous times in a row and for prolonged periods of time). You know, just like Joe and Hannah did.

I think all of the criticism is warranted (and hopefully taken to heart for future endeavors). On the other hand, I'm one of the few that might back another Kickstarter if they made one because how many people are even attempting to make these kinds of games anymore? I'd rather gamble on something that has a 10% chance of being decent than play most of the garbage that's out there.

CyberWhale

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I think all of the criticism is warranted (and hopefully taken to heart for future endeavors).
I honestly doubt it (will be).

On the other hand, I'm one of the few that might back another Kickstarter if they made one because how many people are even attempting to make these kinds of games anymore? I'd rather gamble on something that has a 10% chance of being decent than play most of the garbage that's out there.

That's basically gambling at this point, but I don't have anything against it. It's your money in the end, you're free to spend it however you deem fit.

As I've advised them, they shouldn't release any shareware games. There is no free meal, and the same should be applied to games as well. Wasting their time on something and not asking for recompensing is a wrong approach to fixing bygone mistakes, they should focus on delivering a good and polished product in a shorter timeframe instead. Also, pirating exists and I haven't seen any evidence that single player games benefit (in terms of popularity and larger player base) from being completely free of charge.

I'm so sorry man, it certainly sounds like I owe you an apology, and do so now. That's what they called the last update scheduled, that's right, we were starting to chip away at what we taped together to get the game out by that deadline, but there was a mountain more to get to. We drank ourselves pretty stupid after we realized we weren't going to be scheduled for any more updates, but I'll try to answer what I can
i don't know who you are, but you suddenly became one of my favourite human beings. flawed. flawed indeed, as such. but one of my favourite.

Mortmal

Arcane
He should have come here much earlier, invite people here to play test maybe. It was radio silence for years , a bit late now.
Could be worse at least they release "something" unlike hobgobelin who blatantly scammed us with realms beyond.Or those buffoons with their C64 game, another scam.

Skorpion

Educated
I think all of the criticism is warranted (and hopefully taken to heart for future endeavors).
I honestly doubt it (will be).

On the other hand, I'm one of the few that might back another Kickstarter if they made one because how many people are even attempting to make these kinds of games anymore? I'd rather gamble on something that has a 10% chance of being decent than play most of the garbage that's out there.

That's basically gambling at this point, but I don't have anything against it. It's your money in the end, you're free to spend it however you deem fit.

As I've advised them, they shouldn't release any shareware games. There is no free meal, and the same should be applied to games as well. Wasting their time on something and not asking for recompensing is a wrong approach to fixing bygone mistakes, they should focus on delivering a good and polished product in a shorter timeframe instead. Also, pirating exists and I haven't seen any evidence that single player games benefit (in terms of popularity and larger player base) from being completely free of charge.
Last page you said everything should be pirated until you have the money, here your saying there is no free meal.
Does the cognitive dissonance ever get to you or is it too high level thinking for your brain to realize how retarded its being?

gaussgunner

Arcane

Last page you said everything should be pirated until you have the money, here your saying there is no free meal.
Does the cognitive dissonance ever get to you or is it too high level thinking for your brain to realize how retarded its being?
What cognitive dissonance? He just said if people don't want to pay for the game they can pirate it.

If the game is free, people will assume it's shit. If payment is optional they'll just download it and forget to pay later. If there's a fixed price and want to try it for free, they'll take the time to find a demo or pirate copy.

Consectary to this, I won't ever buy anything else from Whalenought; I think I made that more or less clear in the past, but if not, there. Now, evidently they've opted not to leave the industry behind but rather to forge onward, and hopefully they have since learned a number of cardinal lessons. Still, I personally don't think it's possible to make that grievous a series of mistakes, and eventually become what we'll here call a 'good' developer. The divide between what they did and what needed done is much too vast, and in my opinion can never be fully crossed.
I think they had made a few little demos and thought Kickstarter would be easy money, not realizing how difficult it is to follow through to the end on a real game.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
I think they had made a few little demos and thought Kickstarter would be easy money, not realizing how difficult it is to follow through to the end on a real game.

Hmm, I don't know. They already made SitS, so they should have some concept of what making games is like.

I think it's likely that the codex consensus is right: for some reason they kept iterating on art, mechanics and story to an absurd level, which ate time.

The lesson here might be just to choose something and stick with it.

Would appreciate a full post-mortem, if they ever get around to it.

Dhaze

Cipher
I keep coming back to her:

y85cYap.jpg

God damn does she look cool. It's as if the original, Carpenter-created Snake Plissken had a baby girl with The Boss, and that progeny, whose godfather was Captain Harlock, ended up raised by whoever drew this.

For you guys more familiar than I am with the Codex: how likely is it for this
17hiUqH.jpg
to ever be added to the list of available avatars?

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
For you guys more familiar than I am with the Codex: how likely is it for this
17hiUqH.jpg
to ever be added to the list of available avatars?
Create a set of 96x96 pixel .png images from Copper Dreams Mechajammer, put them in a zip file, and post them on the Avatars thread in the Site Feedback forum. :M

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom