Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Mechajammer (formerly Copper Dreams) - cyberpunk RPG from Whalenought Studios

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1649838104/copper-dreams/posts/2971765

Rolling your character

Hello!

Hope this reaches everyone safe and sound. For those with test builds, there's a new update with character creation and an area to run around and punt mutants. The community site is fixed and back up as well, and we’ll have the death matches in the beta back in good order shortly — some pathfinding stuff changed in this last update and we need refresh some maps, add some driving combat ones, etc.

f088ba5e6567d7be36e1efcd92a3d86f_original.png

In this post we wanted to dive into character creation. Grab your dice and beer, let's grognard up!

0a5791ffd726b7046afa8f106d47e7b7_original.gif

Character Creation

Prompting:

1ed83a03718c77e439b61435abd70ddc_original.gif

From here you’re in business to create and edit your character freely.

We originally ordered character creation into a step-by-step process, aptly starting with your birth kit, then jobs, which then determine your age, and finally being able to distribute accrued points to Studies/Virtues.

This made sense on paper, but in practice turned out to be tedious, especially if you want to try out different skills and advantages. Since we’re all here to min/max murder-hobos, we wanted to optimize for that.

We start you with set pools of D6 to distribute to learned Studies and Virtues. You can toss these in as you see fit, and they’ll just turn red if you exceed a maximum. (Some background traits can reduce or increase your starting pools.)
6d152a7ed49284d3b5fa71dbf12d431f_original.gif

c88144af6404631f3684cbfc6a07ffb7_original.gif

You can start selecting jobs anytime after you select a birth kit, genetic enhancements given to unborn children, which will filter the pool of jobs available to you. In a future update, birth kits will change the number of Virtue vs. Studies dice you have to work with, as those with natural births have fewer inborn abilities, while those with premium birth kits do not have to have as many learned skills, having few deficiencies to make up for.

211b825b8b2d51df94fd64d5c83cf3b7_original.gif

Jobs determine your age (each job adds 9 years) and give bonuses from work knowledge (represented by pips to Studies). Each job you choose also comes with a list of Disadvantages that you have to pick between, since no experience in life is a completely positive one. Most of these disadvantages are minor, like a two turns wait at the beginning of combat (Coward) or always eating food as soon as you put it in your inventory (Hungry).

Your character’s job retention also lets advanced versions of the job become available, netting better benefits, like from Lab Assistant to Doctor. However, varied jobs get a bigger variety of modifiers (and Disadvantages).

62a58e08904918403acaea85655250df_original.gif

Adding more jobs is an easy way to gain Studies pips, but as you get on in years you become more fragile, and caps are placed on the number of die you can add to Virtues like Grace, Muscle Mass and Sight, while youth has only limits to the brain noodle and caps your Occult and Learning.

After your jobs history is complete you can slide to an exact age within your bracket.

7bde5d0c4d81ab0c5f555d45648fe4dc_original.gif

Advancement

Virtues are used as both static numbers as well as their dice representation. Studies are exclusively rolled, and their pips are added to any roll. For some specific action rolls a Study and its accompanying Virtue are rolled together, for MAXIMUM ROLLING ACTION.

When your character advances, they can add a point to any of the Studies, which acts as a pip until it reaches 6, which will then just add another dice to the pool. We adjusted rolls from the previous 3d8 system so we can get more player character advancement in with regards to the scale of the game.

Studies and Virtues haven’t changed too much, but we’ve consolidated and expanded in some areas. For instance we’ve added in Organics, which allows you to cyber-Frankenstein corpses together with some tech magic, and Healing, so you can now roll medical options if you don't relish resurrecting your fallen friends and enemies as monsters.

The current state of character creation needs more balance for roll pools and more disadvantages/advantages during work assessment, but the systems, interface, and working are all there and mingling happily.

Your Character's Origin

9ab2e70c4e0f13e981c7cb1b366dd4bb_original.gif

Through this development cycle we've played with the concept of your character and how they landed on this hostile space colony. One of our early ideas involved CYOA screens showing you shipping off to the colony as a worker, working in a syndicate (character age + 2-5 years), and eventually have a classic scene of you and some trusted coworkers sitting around a bar, one revealing they have a way out, and you scheme your campaign to flee the colony. We rolled with that concept for a while, with some adaptations like your syndicate getting attacked and then meeting after, but didn't love how much of a slog it was to set up all these disparate exposition pieces, especially since the beginning of the game needs to also introduce core game systems like your base of operations, the squad system that will encompass your companions through the game, and the perma-life healing system that is rooted into the base itself.

f92971140a6205072ac48c75b3fc2105_original.gif

Eventually we streamlined the concept to focus more on the surrounding setting of the game. You still have trusted comrades, but you're conscripted Ci-War troopers, mind-hacked and powerless, and you've escaped a hopeless bloodbath by stealing a shuttle to find refuge elsewhere on the planet. You and your two companions set up a base of operations in the abandoned warehouse district you crash down into, and with significantly less exposition you can get rolling on adventuring. Grab a junker bike and drive through the city or outlying jungles, or check out the polluted coastal marshes!

699d5add927dfd96c741e49b3e55583b_original.gif

de85b3322ff120f6988da1c4910c3eea_original.gif

Last edited:

buffalo bill

Arcane
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1649838104/copper-dreams/posts/2971765

... your base of operations ... the base itself ... a base of operations ...

WTF are they talking about. Base of operations sounds like decline
Why?
Isn't place for resting and stashing gear useful?

In my experience, base building and base management generally end up as chores that distract from adventuring and exploring, which are usually the fun parts of an RPG (King of Dragon Pass is a notable exception, but pretty much the whole game is base building/management). Almost no classics that I can think of have base mechanics. Lots of modern RPGs add base building/management because players think they want to play dollhouse in their RPGs. They don't actually want this, though, since it is pretty much always boring.

Stashing gear and resting are useful, but don't require a dedicated base of operations. E.g. you can stash gear and rest in Fallout, and there is no base.

grimace

Arcane
Did they ever add the game's tutorial area like they said in the previous update?

From playing beta 5.0 I can confirm that there is a partial tutorial system in the form of on screen windows providing how to play information with an animated graphic.

f92971140a6205072ac48c75b3fc2105_original.gif

As far as the "base" idea goes ...
In beta 5.0 the "base" is the x,y coordinates on the open world map that you return to after a death.

There is an item you can place on the ground that allows you to warp/teleport to so that you do not need to walk all the way back if you die. In beta 5.0 that item is in your inventory.

buffalo bill

Arcane
Tried out the new beta.

Pretty much all my criticisms concerning movement controls from prior beta builds have been fixed with the addition of keyboard inputs. My only gripe is that keys for diagonal movement would be nice (maybe I am wrong, but it seems that diagonal movement is now possible with mouse input).

The character creation is cool and intuitive. There are some minor bugs, like I always end up starting with the same face. I also can't exit the game without control alt delete. Not sure if experience points/whatever have been implemented yet—I went around killing everything and didn't get any advancement, but maybe I just didn't kill enough things.

However, the area that the beta starts in is boring AF. As far as I can tell, there is basically nothing to do except kill a bunch of low-level enemies who cannot harm you unless you are an idiot and get ganged up on. I found the random weapons they scattered across the map, but didn't really have to use them (except to see the cool death and reload animations). I only died once when I accidentally walked through fire. In general I hope they avoid too much boring and unchallenging trash-mob combat—SitS had plenty of that, and it wasn't a good feature of that game. Occasional trash combat is fine to feel like your character is a bad ass mother fucker and get a sense of power increase, but it should definitely not be the meat of gameplay imo. The battle arena (which is sadly not part of the beta currently) was much better in this regard, since some of the battle modes could actually be sort of challenging. Maybe the devs want to slowly ramp up difficulty for the player, but really the controls and everything are very smooth, and it takes little to master them, so I say a steeper difficulty increase in the early game would be fine for most players probably. The starting map also doesn't have the interesting elevation gradients of the old battle maps, nor destructible features. In general it does a pretty bad job of showing off the game (but again I get that this is a work in progress obviously). Hopefully the final game will feature a more interesting initial area to hook players in, instead of a boring area that it currently features.

Overall it is pretty cool. Looking forward to some more challenging maps and more features to be implemented.

grimace

Arcane
Depending on character build (skills matter) there's more to do in the beta 5.0 map.

I have successfully:
  • Hacked ATMs
  • Recruited humans to join my gang / team / mob

buffalo bill

Arcane
Depending on character build (skills matter) there's more to do in the beta 5.0 map.

I have successfully:
  • Hacked ATMs
  • Recruited humans to join my gang / team / mob
Yes I did some hacking too. Forgot to mention it. Also talked to some random people.

grimace

Arcane
buffalo bill did you find the weapons vendor? Hack the ATM, gather all the money you find, and buy weapons. Then proceed to kill everything in the swamps.

buffalo bill

Arcane
buffalo bill did you find the weapons vendor? Hack the ATM, gather all the money you find, and buy weapons. Then proceed to kill everything in the swamps.

I did, but weirdly was only able to properly interact with him if I disabled the social interaction icon (I bought something, then decided to kick him to death—without taking damage! this dude should be harder to kill!—and stole the rest of his inventory). Same for the recruitable rat people. It was fun to see my gang of rat people (Barry also randomly showed up as soon as I recruited my first rat person) rip town people to shreds, but again, more challenge would be way better.

Funny pathfinding bug: one of my ratman companions kept jumping back and forth over a box until I went back for him.

I'll add again that the game feels way smoother than even just several weeks ago. Adding togggleable turn-based mode was actually a good idea (which toggles automatically when combat starts anyway). I think it works in this game due to the roguelike nature of the "turns", unlike the broken toggleable system of e.g. Arcanum which would initiate one-character-per-turn turn-based mode. It lets a player like me stay in turn-based all the time, which I like.

Last edited:

buffalo bill

Arcane
Another thought about the first map—it reminds me of SitS in a bad way. SitS had large city areas that were almost empty, and it felt like there was almost nothing to do in them. Imo it would be way better to have smaller city maps with lots more content—unique interactable NPCs, shops, ways to open side quests, etc.—and they can save the sprawling maps for dungeons or whatever.

It would be sad if they repeat some of the same mistakes as SitS, since I think this game is already much better mechanically.

buffalo bill

Arcane
Something has been updated.

UI and user experience improvements
They got rid of most of the UI on the left, now dice roll success info can be toggled to be seen on the right. Also new toggles on the bottom row, like toggling to make equiped items (always weapons I assume) used with mouse click or not—useful to avoid accidentally killing an NPC you want to talk with. Some other changes also. And bugs: I still start with female face #1 regardless of my decision, and I think my skill points are quite different from what I had when I went through the professional background thingie. And at the last iteration, I could use organics to make zombie followers, whereas this time I can't (though it may be due to the aforementioned skill-point reallocation bug). Also, I still have to control alt delete to exit the game.

They also got rid of the toggle to enter turn-based mode, which now only starts when combat ensues. However, everything is actually feeling very smooth, and it's ok they got rid of the toggle (though I liked it). Found an NPC to recruit who I don't remember from the previous iteration. If they actually build a fleshed out game around these game mechanics, it'll be really good. Fingers crossed.

Last edited:

grimace

Arcane
Whalenought Studios asking for specific feedback.

One visual / UX we’re still pondering is how to best display ground items. Having the inventory items in world scaled to ‘sprite size’ means armor and fuel tanks are larger than your character, and bullets are absolutely tiny on screen.

We have the UI where items nearby the character pop up next to the inventory panel, but we’d still like them to have an in-world presence if possible. Thrown items we’ve conceded will be unique particles instead of the items themselves, for the same reason of the size being too chaotic.

Any suggestions welcome!

My experience with Beta build 5.0 and 5.1

• Multiple items are assigned to different pickup shortcut keys: B, V, C, X, Z (for example).
  • You cannot click the item to pick them up.
  • Single items are assigned to Z key by default.
  • There is a particle effect highlighting items when your character is within visual perception (unconfirmed if this is a skill check)

Large Screenshots showing current item system:

Zoomed out:

screenshot28fbjgd.png

Zoomed in:

screenshot3180kyh.png

Farewell into the night

I agree, but it's so far away from the original concept that it's beyond crazy.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Part of me wonders if the original copper dreams concept was just trashed entirely and they restarted from scrap, pumping out whatever concept stuff they had under the pretense of changing things until they were ready to show the real work.

grimace

Arcane

Can confirm. There are 50 Stun Grenades in your inventory to test.

You can see green money on the ground. Refer to this post again regarding the visual representation of items in the gameworld and how to discover and add them to your inventory.

Whalenought Studios asking for specific feedback.

One visual / UX we’re still pondering is how to best display ground items. Having the inventory items in world scaled to ‘sprite size’ means armor and fuel tanks are larger than your character, and bullets are absolutely tiny on screen.

We have the UI where items nearby the character pop up next to the inventory panel, but we’d still like them to have an in-world presence if possible. Thrown items we’ve conceded will be unique particles instead of the items themselves, for the same reason of the size being too chaotic.

Any suggestions welcome!

My experience with Beta build 5.0 and 5.1

• Multiple items are assigned to different pickup shortcut keys: B, V, C, X, Z (for example).
  • You cannot click the item to pick them up.
  • Single items are assigned to Z key by default.
  • There is a particle effect highlighting items when your character is within visual perception (unconfirmed if this is a skill check)

Large Screenshots showing current item system:

Zoomed out:

screenshot28fbjgd.png

Zoomed in:

screenshot3180kyh.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom