Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info MCA was checking out Age of Decadence

mbpopolano24

Arbiter
You know, there are cars with no doors out there. It's true, I've seen them. If you like your car having no doors, that's fine, go for it. For the vast majority of other people, doors are a feature that a car should have.

Now, try to change the word 'door' with 'walk', and the word 'car' with 'game', and you should get my point about teleportation.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Wait a second, it's not really for VD to decide whether it's shared or not, but Avellones call. Probably you have is blessing too, sure, but you should mention it.
It was my understanding that he gave his blessing. Miss Bee asked him to share his impressions with the Codex, he said that he already gave them to me.

I think that the teleporting works perfectly in the game, especially since it's a game meant to be replayed countless times.... Just as the skills checks and combat, you'll get a bit lost the first time, but once you get used to the game you'll be damn happy that teleport is there....
Pretty much.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
That doesn't mean there can't be a checkbox to turn it off! I'm also in the "annoying" camp. I should be able to walk if I wanted to. Fallout let me fast-travel or walk; I had a choice in the matter.

tiagocc0

Arcane
choice & consequence walk
sorry, just trolling, I haven't played the demo, will do so

Vault Dweller

Developer
You know, there are cars with no doors out there. It's true, I've seen them. If you like your car having no doors, that's fine, go for it. For the vast majority of other people, doors are a feature that a car should have.

Now, try to change the word 'door' with 'walk', and the word 'car' with 'game', and you should get my point about teleportation.
The analogy doesn't work. Doors serve a purpose - comfort, privacy, protection, etc. Walking in most RPG is a filler. You click and watch your character walking. How exciting.

Now, in games focused on exploration and interaction with environment, walking is an important element. In isometric games focused on conversations and interaction with people, walking is a hindrance, at least for me. Walking from one NPC to another is boring. The goal is to get there sooner and have that conversation, not to watch your character running all over the town again.

Sure, you can make waking more exciting. You can add ambushes and chance encounters and opportunities to spot something. Guess what? It's all there in the game. You can run all over the town between quests until your heart explodes, but you don't have to do it in quests.

AoD is meant to be replayed and teleporting helps a lot there by cutting content that serves no purpose. I understand that some people don't like it and I don't want to lose people who were enthusiastic about the game, but you can't please everyone either.

Vault Dweller

Developer
That doesn't mean there can't be a checkbox to turn it off!
Like I said, it's not that simple. We've provided as many "imma big boy and can walk on my own thank you very much" options in R2 and that's as far as it goes.

Fallout let me fast-travel or walk; I had a choice in the matter.
What's your point, Jas? It's not a Fallout clone and what Fallout had is irrelevant.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
That doesn't mean there can't be a checkbox to turn it off!
Like I said, it's not that simple. We've provided as many "imma big boy and can walk on my own thank you very much" options in R2 and that's as far as it goes.

Fallout let me fast-travel or walk; I had a choice in the matter.
What's your point, Jas? It's not a Fallout clone and what Fallout had is irrelevant.
I don't think so. I have to think you have been very inspired by Fallout and the whole game is deeply steeped in that style of RPG. Maybe it has become something else and maybe it's not a clone - in fact, it definitely isn't - but there is still the lingering inspiration, the remnants that rest deep inside the code and structure of the whole edifice. Actually I am being too flowery; the game seems extremely Fallout-like, emulating a style of play close to Arcanum, FO 1 and FO 2.

Actually, saying "what Fallout had is irrelevant" seems really contrary to the product you are showing off with the demo! Everything is Fallout-esque, just different, from the skill/stat system to the C&C/stat/skill-check focus to the combat! It even has the fast and targeted attacks, AP, the double weapon slots, similar barter/loot screen, and so on. So don't say it's irrelevant; it's not.

I am just saying that if at all possible all of these teleport events should be optional. It'd require a ton of time to change that, I assume, but it never struck me as if you guys were in a rush. If it's not possible, fine. I can see why they are there.

Vault Dweller

Developer
;)

What is the limitation of the demo, just a fraction of the story?
You get the first town with all the quests and encounters, plus two satellite locations. It's about 25% of the game, but you don't see a lot of ruins and exploration there.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
It was my understanding that he gave his blessing. Miss Bee asked him to share his impressions with the Codex, he said that he already gave them to me.

I cannot be sure about his blessing, but that's how it went:

VoD: I've read MCA was checking out AoD. Ask him for his impressions, so we can post them.
Ms Bee: Sure, will do.

Ms Bee: Magnificient Chris?
MCA: Yes, child?
Ms Bee: We've heard you were checking out AoD, can you give us your impressions so we might post them?
MCA: I've already sent my feedback to Vince. That's the best I can do.

Ms Bee: He said, he already sent his feedback to Vince and that's the best he can do. I guess you will have to pester Vault Dweller to share it.
VoD: 'k.

VoD: Hi Vince. I've heard that MCA was checking out AoD, so I told Ms Bee to ask him for his impressions, so we can post them. Now I get the info that he already sent you his feedback and that's the best he can do. What was his feedback?
VD: Here is what he sent me. You decide what to post: ...

Did we wrong MCA by not asking him for his urine blessing? Does he hate us now? Is he about to sue us? Only time will tell.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Perhaps we can pre-emptively appease him with a sacrifice, just in case? Who needs banning?

Vault Dweller

Developer
I don't think so. I have to think you have been very inspired by Fallout and the whole game is deeply steeped in that style of RPG. Maybe it has become something else and maybe it's not a clone - in fact, it definitely isn't - but there is still the lingering inspiration, the remnants that rest deep inside the code and structure of the whole edifice. Actually I am being too flowery; the game seems extremely Fallout-like, emulating a style of play close to Arcanum, FO 1 and FO 2.
My point is that it's not a clone (as you can clearly see), which is why some people were disappointed as they expected a game that's very close to Fallout's style. Yet despite some similarities, the core of the game is very different.

I am just saying that if at all possible all of these teleport events should be optional. It'd require a ton of time to change that, I assume, but it never struck me as if you guys were in a rush. If it's not possible, fine. I can see why they are there.
I don't think it's possible but I'll take another look.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Fragile ambush scripting probably breaks if you're not teleported exactly where you're supposed to be.

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
We added the option to not teleport in most of the logical situations that can be added. In some situations that are time sensitive, especially regarding NPCs, we are not going to add the option. For example, when you send the raiders to attack the mine, setting you "free" creates a load of extra work. First of all, when you send them, you have the hostage with you. You can't go around town with him, or if you just leave him in the cage he shouldn't stay there forever, or if you go before reporting to Dellar and go to the mine we should script a situation in which the raiders have attacked but you are not with Dellar, or just teleport Dellar there saying some excuse like "So you thought of coming here on your own" or some bs excuse, etc.

The main culprit on the perception of the issue are the vignettes, IMO. Teleporting is VERY strong there, and the way we set things up there we can't let them free roam the town. Any suggestions?

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
MCA is a polite guy. His responses to my emails were very... polite.

Basically, If Obsidian makes a GTA style RPG with the Infinity engine, you'll have me to thank for it:smug:

Naked Ninja

Arbiter
- Still loved the writing. Chatting with the Preacher and outwitting the foreign traveler (name escapes me - S___?) to learn the secret of the smelter and the blue steel was cool, made me feel clever and rewarded for choosing speech skills.

Vince and I collaborated on the Preacher (among others). Chris Avellone, Mr Planescape Torment himself, complimented a piece of writing I was involved in.

:bounce:

Alright, continue arguing about whatever you were arguing about.

tiagocc0

Arcane
Let me know what you think.

First impressions

Things I liked:
Weapon Synergy
How a background actually sets the attributes so I know how they are used

Things I'm not a fan of:
360 rotating camera
Very dark enviroments

Things I can live without but I would rather see improved:
A way to increase gamma inside the game
Centering the map where you are (when you open the map)
Showing where you are on the map (like a dot or something)
A minimap so I can correlate where I am in the 2D map (while walking)
Be able to remember my zoom level

Back to the game ;)

EG

Nullified
The lack of complaints regarding teleporting is most disconcerting, Tiagocc0. Clearly, you're playing it wrong.

Do not be the one dissenter in this thread . . .

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom