Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Massive Wasteland 2 Audio Interview with Brian Fargo and Nathan Long at Through the Aftermath

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Don't act like proper rangers = no LA for you ("ending the story prematurely").

Becoming the Silent King = no Fortress of Regrets for you ("ending the story prematurely")

Josh was talking about games with some kind of systemic karma meter that measures your gameplay morality and punishes you based on that. He wasn't talking about the world directly responding to your immoral actions.

Rake

Arcane
Do you realize what that even means

Wasteland 2's not going to have some kind of built in morality system that locks you out of content, like Ultima IV. It's purely scripted choice and consequence.

Yep, I'm afraid you fucked up this time. Better just forget you posted that.
Don't act like proper rangers = no LA for you ("ending the story prematurely").

The same shit with joining the slavers in Fallout 2. A false evil option that gives you no worthwhile benefits and a load of penalties.
It's in the amound of content that matters. If the slavers had more unique contend and some extra quests in New Reno and NCR, there wouldn't be a problem.
if instead of going to LA you can unlock alternative content, no problem

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Becoming the Silent King = no Fortress of Regrets for you ("ending the story prematurely")
You can immediately reload to seconds before that conversation.

Josh was talking about games with some kind of systemic karma meter that measures your gameplay morality and punishes you based on that. He wasn't talking about the world directly responding to your immoral actions.
No he wasn't, it applies to any game with moral choices.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
No he wasn't, it applies to any game with moral choices.

Yes he was. What do you think "the game punished the player, not the world" actually means, Roguey? It means the player is punished by gameplay systems that force him to play a certain way, not by scripted story events ("the world").

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Yes he was. What do you think "the game punished the player, not the world" actually means, Roguey? It means the player is punished by gameplay systems that force him to play a certain way, not by scripted story events ("the world").
If you're given a choice between Good or Evil and the Evil option slaps you down, you're getting punished by the game. Josh isn't a fan of how saying the "right" thing can conflict with being the "right" character (any character that falls within their supported range of expression).

To use one of his examples, there's no gameplay benefit to role playing your character in DX:HR's dialogue battles since the game rewards choosing specific options that might not be in line with your character concept.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
If you're given a choice between Good or Evil and the Evil option slaps you down, you're getting punished by the game.

Who says it'll slap you down? "Slapping down" is a matter of perspective. Slaughter a town, get all the loot, become filthy rich, have fun carving a bloody swathe across Arizona. Just don't expect to be able to work with the Rangers any more, and apparently they're the only one who can send you to California. Instead you'll presumably have some kind of alternate endgame.

To use one of his examples, there's no gameplay benefit to role playing your character in DX:HR's dialogue battles since the game rewards choosing specific options that might not be in line with your character concept.

Yep. The DX:HR dialogues are also highly systemized, so that doesn't actually refute my point.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Who says it'll slap you down? "Slapping down" is a matter of perspective. Slaughter a town, get all the loot, become filthy rich, have fun carving a bloody swathe across Arizona. Just don't expect to be able to work with the Rangers any more, and apparently they're the only one who can send you to California. Instead you'll presumably have some kind of alternate endgame.
"Ending the story prematurely" suggests there is no alternate endgame. Who says I can't just say to hell with the rangers but go to LA anyway? Fargo apparently.

Yep. The DX:HR dialogues are also highly systemized, so that doesn't actually refute my point.
It's totally scripted.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
"Ending the story prematurely" suggests there is no alternate endgame.

Those are my words, not Fargo's. I'm sorry if I've confused you. :roll:

Who says I can't just say to hell with the rangers but go to LA anyway? Fargo apparently.

Because that's the story he wants to tell. Now, you might think every RPG should have the design goal of allowing good players and evil players to experience the same overarching storyline, but that's a separate issue than "the game punishing you".

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
"Ending the story prematurely" suggests there is no alternate endgame.

Those are my words, not Fargo's. I'm sorry if I've confused you. :roll:
Snrk. Is "non-standard game over" his words? Because that sounds a lot like "joining the master" i.e. a non-ending.

Because that's the story he wants to tell. You might think any RPG should have a design goal of allowing good players and evil players to experience the same basic storyline, but that's a separate issue.
I think cutting off an area because you were too bad is ridiculous. Now if that area is full of rangers and they're all hostile to you that's fine with me.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Snrk. Is "non-standard game over" his words? Because that sounds a lot like "joining the master" i.e. a non-ending.

I don't remember what words he uses. Listen to the last few minutes of the podcast, he mentions it there again.

I think cutting off an area because you were too bad is ridiculous.

It doesn't seem materially different from something like Witcher 2's dual second acts to me. Does it really matter what sort of choice it was that you made that cut off an area?

In any case, I would assume that you can still be a "bad" discreetly corrupt asshole and make it to LA. But the game world does need to react believably to the most outrageous beyond-the-pale acts.

crawlkill

Kill all boxed game owners. Kill! Kill!
The same shit with joining the slavers in Fallout 2. A false evil option that gives you no worthwhile benefits and a load of penalties.
hey, turns out aligning yourself with petty bullies who sell primitives and outright state they're going to brand the shit out of you when you join has consequences and isn't too lucrative a life choice. there's a reason "evil" choices get punished, and that reason is verisimilitude. the idea that your superhero god-character should be able to run through the world viciously tearing down society and still be able to progress in any meaningful way or expect support from anyone around him is an interesting one that suggests you don't live in a civilization.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Hey Roguey, watch this space!

Seems I wasn't entirely correct about him strictly referring to systems, but he's also not talking about situations where the game world logically responds to your heinous actions.

(don't you wish you weren't such an anonymity whore so you could converse with your idol? :smug:)

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Hey Roguey, watch this space!

Seems I wasn't entirely correct about him strictly referring to systems, but he's also not talking about situations where the game world logically responds to your heinous actions.
Well as I noted
I think cutting off an area because you were too bad is ridiculous. Now if that area is full of rangers and they're all hostile to you that's fine with me.

Think New Vegas. You can go around killing everyone you see and make everyone hostile to you on sight, cutting off access to a lot of quests, but you can still complete the game through Yes Man.
(don't you wish you weren't such an anonymity whore so you could converse with your idol? :smug:)
If I wanted to ask him questions I could just create new Formspring accounts each time.

Irxy

Arcane
Project: Eternity
The game will feature non-standard game overs as a result of certain decisions. For instance, the party might not be sent to L.A. if they don't behave in a sufficiently Ranger-like manner, ending the story prematurely.
What is this crap, Ultima?!

At the beginning of the game, the Rangers will receive distress calls from two towns and the player will have to choose which one to assist. The state of both towns will change radically as a consequence of this choice.
Blind choices.

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
hey, turns out aligning yourself with petty bullies who sell primitives and outright state they're going to brand the shit out of you when you join has consequences and isn't too lucrative a life choice. there's a reason "evil" choices get punished, and that reason is verisimilitude. the idea that your superhero god-character should be able to run through the world viciously tearing down society and still be able to progress in any meaningful way or expect support from anyone around him is an interesting one that suggests you don't live in a civilization.

Nobody wants that dufus, except you and Fargo. People want to have other alternatives, like choosing different sides and facing consequences other than GAME OVER. Like you know, C&C...

I_am_Ian

Arbiter
Patron
Perhaps there is nothing left to do if the rangers do not send you to California. As a rogue ranger without assistance, traveling to California may be impossible. The option to become kicked out of the Desert Rangers and assume some sort of renegade role and continue to explore the game world is probably outside the scope of this game considering the budget.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Perhaps there is nothing left to do if the rangers do not send you to California. As a rogue ranger without assistance, traveling to California may be impossible. The option to become kicked out of the Desert Rangers and assume some sort of renegade role and continue to explore the game world is probably outside the scope of this game considering the budget.

My impression is that the game's story will be shortened, but the game itself will not necessarily end, and there might even be an alternate "stub endgame".

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
I see. What gives you that impression? I haven't listened to the podcast yet.

The podcast, plus bits and pieces of information that I've heard in other places. Again, listen to the end of the podcast, where Brian talks about this stuff again. He seems pretty proud of it. I don't think he's talking about an "LOL, YOU LOST TOO MANY RANGER VIRTUE POINTS, GAME OVER" screen.

crawlkill

People want to have other alternatives, like choosing different sides and facing consequences other than GAME OVER. Like you know, C&C...

Y'mean like signing on with slavers and having the game recognize that you've done so all over the place, and having that decision have consequences? Or do you just want them to be -nice- consequences? You want the game to congratulate you for every dumbfuck thing you do?

Rake

Arcane
People want to have other alternatives, like choosing different sides and facing consequences other than GAME OVER. Like you know, C&C...

Y'mean like signing on with slavers and having the game recognize that you've done so all over the place, and having that decision have consequences? Like unlock other quests, work against and bring down the Rangers etc.
Yes.

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy

Y'mean like signing on with slavers and having the game recognize that you've done so all over the place, and having that decision have consequences? Or do you just want them to be -nice- consequences? You want the game to congratulate you for every dumbfuck thing you do?

Oh, you become a slaver? GG play nice man. Oh, you killed some dickhead? GG play nice. There is a difference between having consequences and having no consequences just game over. As gg is not a consequence in this instance, but an instant loss.

crawlkill

Oh, you become a slaver? GG play nice man.
Now rest a cool washcloth on your forehead, go play Fallout 2 and cut off your balls when you realize you have no fucking idea what you're talking about.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom