Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mass Effect re-RPG-ified, sort of

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
dear god, you guys are next-gen faggots. we are talking rpgs, not computer rpgs.

and as for text adventures let me just quote crowther, the guy who wrote the first text adventure evah!
I had been involved in a non-computer role-playing game called Dungeons and Dragons at the time, and also I had been actively exploring in caves - Mammoth Cave in Kentucky in particular. Suddenly, I got involved in a divorce, and that left me a bit pulled apart in various ways. In particular I was missing my kids. Also the caving had stopped, because that had become awkward, so I decided I would fool around and write a program that was a re-creation in fantasy of my caving, and also would be a game for the kids, and perhaps some aspects of the Dungeons and Dragons that I had been playing. My idea was that it would be a computer game that would not be intimidating to non-computer people, and that was one of the reasons why I made it so that the player directs the game with natural language input, instead of more standardized commands. My kids thought it was a lot of fun.
hey, look, text adventures are rpg inspired in their features.

Gord

Arcane
SuicideBunny said:
dear god, you guys are next-gen faggots. we are talking rpgs, not computer rpgs.

Silly me, expecting to talk about cRPGs in a topic about a computer game...

If you are talking about non-computer games, frankly I don't know.
My (conscious) experience with board games begun in the mid-to-late 80s at which point DnD already existed for more than 10 years, so I don't know which games before did have something akin to an inventory.

What constitutes an inventory, however? Are, e.g. the streets you buy in Monopoly in your inventory?

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Gord said:
silly you, indeed... expecting to talk abotu computer games exclusively when the topic has shifted to rpg history and i exlicitly mentioned dnd.

What constitutes an inventory, however? Are, e.g. the streets you buy in Monopoly in your inventory?
good question. does money in shoot'em ups constitute a form of experience points?

racofer

Thread Incliner
I thought this should be quoted again:

• BioWare: Mass Effect 3 Story Has More Than a Thousand Variables

Mass Effect 3 picks up where its predecessor's story left off, but that story could have ended in any one of hundreds of subtly different ways.

Fans of the Mass Effect series know that your actions in the first game shaped the way the second played. Not just the big events either, but little ones like how you interacted with a particular NPCs or how you completed certain sidequests. There are no plans for Mass Effect 3 to rock the boat on this score, but BioWare admits that the number of plot variations for people who had played the first two games is pretty big.

ME2's project lead Casey Hudson said that if someone has played through both Mass Effect 1 & 2, then the number of variables was over a thousand. He added that the big details for the plot were decided in advance, but for the smaller things, BioWare took records of what choices players made, and then passed that information along to the writers so that they could refer to it when building storylines. Hudson said that this method was not only easier than trying to do everything all at once, and it also gave better results. "It would be impossible to plan it all in advance," he said. "More importantly, we'd never be able to plan as many creative opportunities if we'd do it all up front."

The sheer number of branches that the Mass Effect story can take is incredibly impressive, and even if most of the variations differ only in very small details, it still shows off how much there is to do in the games.

ME3 will ship with 3 DVDs, one fully dedicated to all possible e-mails you could receive at your personal computer.

Gord

Arcane
SuicideBunny said:
Gord said:
silly you, indeed... expecting to talk abotu computer games exclusively when the topic has shifted to rpg history and i exlicitly mentioned dnd.

Yeah... must have missed this post from you where you proclaimed that the topic is now about history of rpgs.
Of course you mentioning DnD should have tipped me of, as there's obviously no cRPG using that.

SuicideBunny said:
good question. does money in shoot'em ups constitute a form of experience points?
Does something awesome happen when you spend it?

Giauz Ragnacock

Scholar
Hey, wait a minute. I just looked at the trailer, seeing as I can't seem to get the Alpha to download, and those are definitely not Chibi. There is no unnecessary "cutifying" and they are easily recognizable as Mass Effect species. They appear to be sprites like one would see in any 2-D 3/4 view game (then was Origin using Chibi for any of their pre-Ultima 6/7 games?). I could complain about the art looking nothing special MS-Paint-like, but this is only the Alpha and doesn't look that bad considering how it's still a lot to draw especially when not doing it half-assed (I don't believe they did, but why not polish it a bit more?).

Also, how the heck do I try out the Alpha? Damn zipped folder's been empty every single time!

:x

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
check the size of the download, try different browser, try different program, and so on and so forth.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom