Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mass Effect re-RPG-ified, sort of

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
ME Chronicles is a fan-made ME offspin, submitted for some fanart contest at Comic-con, or something :

Trailer

Its story takes place between ME1 and ME2, so there's no Shepard(TM) and instead we play as some Turian (spectre?).

Seems that the game has all the key ME features, along with planet scanning and reporter punching. :salute: Other than that, looks a bit more promising than ME3, as it seems that there's at least some kind of inventory, and trading, involved.

Playable alpha build is already available for download at the game's website:

mechronicles.com

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Did some music for them. Then a (talented though) guy came, made everything to sterile-epic without any life in it - I left. :salute:

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Surf Solar said:
Did some music for them. Then a (talented though) guy came, made everything to sterile-epic without any life in it - I left. :salute:
At least you won't have your name in the credits of a Mass Effect fan game.

also,
Jools said:
Chibi sprites. End of the line.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Back when I bothered to check it out they had an official "ok" from Bioware/EA.

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Excidium said:
Can you even make fan games like that without getting a cease and desist letter?

If you're good enough at sucking off the bioware executives. Remeber to swallow, but make it look like you're only swallowing their juice especially: if they get wind you actually enjoy it and would swallow anyone's, you might get that C&D letter in your mailbox, after all.

Giauz Ragnacock

Scholar
I wanted to try this out, but both times I downloaded the file 7-Zip said that it was empty. As for the Chibi-sprites, I would have to see if it rubs me bad. I'm pretty forgiving of graphics as long as the designers were smart with the interface, such as making it easy to use (usually I don't like a lot of buttons and mouse clicks, frugality is key) and easy to read (both Mass Effects had painfully small text and the background color was too samey in the menu screens. What happened to KOTOR's genius interface, which was complex but incredibly intuitive).

Anyone managed to give it a play? How complete is it?

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
Other than that, looks a bit more promising than ME3, as it seems that there's at least some kind of inventory, and trading, involved.

That's supposed to make it better? What the fuck man. I think You should suck my dick

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Serious_Business said:
Other than that, looks a bit more promising than ME3, as it seems that there's at least some kind of inventory, and trading, involved.

That's supposed to make it better?
Yes, it is supposed to do that. RPG features usually makes RPGs better.
No idea if it works, though. Have not played.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Jaesun said:
Inventory is a RPG mechanic?

RPG mechanics (as of 2011):

-Inventory
-Experience points
-Romance
MicoSelva said:
Jaesun said:
If in doubt, name three classic RPGs without it.
Still, I wouldn't classify it as an mechanic specific to RPGs because of adventure games.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Excidium said:
MicoSelva said:
Jaesun said:
If in doubt, name three classic RPGs without it.
Still, I wouldn't classify it as an mechanic specific to RPGs because of adventure games.
Following this line of thought, there are actually no mechanics specifically defining an RPG, as every single one was also used in some other genre.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
inventories are what seperated rpgs from wargames and improv theatre. :obviously:

Gord

Arcane
You have an inventory in adventure games like Monkey Island, too...

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
name a genre older than rpgs that has inventories and didn't introduce them in the post-dnd "omg every game can be an rpg!!11!" craze.

Gord

Arcane
Adventure games are pretty old in the text-based form.
Are rogue-likes rpgs?

MCA
Yep, text adventures.

Anyway, this looks retarded. Why even add that kind of retarded mining game? And the way dialogue text is appearing so slow, it's super annoying.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom