Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mass Effect Legendary Edition remaster trilogy

Codex Year of the Donut
Missed this somehow, glad someone finally took the time to point out what a piece of shit ME2 is.

ME2 is by far the worst game of the series because it ruined the series. ME3 couldn't save it because ME2 already killed it.

As I've posted before, you can essentially cut out the entirety of ME2 and nothing would change at all. You can skip right from ME1's end to the final ME2 DLC and lose nothing. It is its own self-contained story that shits all over everything ME1 built up, then ME3 came along and had to try to work around that. If anything, ME2 not existing would have put less constraints on ME3 and resulted in a better game.
Can't believe so many people consider it the best of the series -- maybe because it's a self-contained story and they have ADHD?

Last edited:

J1M

Arcane
Missed this somehow, glad someone finally took the time to point out what a piece of shit ME2 is.

ME2 is by far the worst game of the series because it ruined the series. ME3 couldn't save it because ME2 already killed it.

As I've posted before, you can essentially cut out the entirety of ME2 and nothing would change at all. You can skip right from ME1's end to the final ME2 DLC and lose nothing. It is its own self-contained story that shits all over everything ME1 built up, then ME3 came along and had to try to work around that. If anything, ME2 not existing would have put less constraints on ME3 and resulted in a better game.
Can't believe so many people consider it the best of the series -- maybe because it's a self-contained story and they have ADHD?

Games are not stories. The structure of Mass Effect 2 is predictable and well-suited to a game.

Codex Year of the Donut

Games are not stories. The structure of Mass Effect 2 is predictable and well-suited to a game.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
Missing the point. In isolation, nothing wrong with the game if it was not a sequel to Mass Effect. Nothing to make a 30 minute video about anyway.

As "Mass Effect 2" it is a colossal failure and broke the back of the franchise.

Dhaze

Cipher
Aside from them, every human woman in Mass Effect looks either straight up bad in a video-gamey way (Jack, Chambers, Kenson, FemShep) or repulsive in a grotesque, overdone way (Ashley, Miranda, Allers).

Traynor looks good.

Samantha-Traynor-Mass-Effect-3-e.jpg

Oh wow, how could I forget Samantha 'Toothbrush' Traynor?! She does looks pretty good, and what a fun character she was.

Mauman

Learned
Aside from them, every human woman in Mass Effect looks either straight up bad in a video-gamey way (Jack, Chambers, Kenson, FemShep) or repulsive in a grotesque, overdone way (Ashley, Miranda, Allers).

Traynor looks good.

Oh wow, how could I forget Samantha 'Toothbrush' Traynor?! She does looks pretty good, and what a fun character she was.

Eh....I agreed with
evil Shepard's choice to throw her off the ship

Caim

Arcane

Mass Effect 2's structure felt like a TV show. Go to a place, talk to a few people, action bit, more talking, done; all in a bite-sized chunk. You can do the initial batch of missions in just about any order, get some story and then do the rest of the recruitment missions and all the loyalty missions before hitting the finale.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
I get that Mass Effect is fantasy and all that, but it stretches the fantasy a bit too far when :bioware: made Traynor not have to changes pants after meeting male Shepard.

Lesbians don't exist like homos do. The instinct for procreation and family is 100% built into all women, no matter how bicurious they are.

Caim

Arcane
I get that Mass Effect is fantasy and all that, but it stretches the fantasy a bit too far when :bioware: made Traynor not have to changes pants after meeting male Shepard.

Lesbians don't exist like homos do. The instinct for procreation and family is 100% built into all women, no matter how bicurious they are.
Traynor: I'm a lesbian.
Shepard: *does his thousand yard stare experssion*
Traynor: I'm bisexual.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
Indoctrination as a plot device was a mistake. It's literally just a way to have characters do dumb shit without having to explain why.

Caim

Arcane
Indoctrination as a plot device was a mistake. It's literally just a way to have characters do dumb shit without having to explain why.
Worst part was Udina's poignant moment in Mass Effect 3 where he laments that after the destruction of parliament he became the single most powerful man in human history, but all that power did nothing in the face of the Reaper invasion... and then he suddenly pulled a lol evil now and betrayed the Citadel to Cerberus. No explaination, he's just evil now.

Unwanted
Dumbfuck

Traynor looks good.

Fake news mane, they coulda put a real Black woman with a thicc ass booty in the last game and have her compete with Miranda but nah, thy went and slapped on some streetshitter dyke instead. Just as forgettable as Scooby Doo McGruntface they had in the third game.

Mass Effect 2 is dumb. Mass Effect 3 is worse. Just because Mass Effect 2 abandoned the idea of what Mass Effect was meant to be, that doesn’t change that 3 is a worse game that also didn’t even try returning to what the series could’ve been. It was always theoretically possible a Mass Effect after 2 could’ve done what they were trying to do with the original. Mass Effect 2 didn’t stop 3 from doing that.

Then again. Who gives a fuck at this point. The first game was dog shit. The most interesting things about the original game are the ideas they failed to execute, and the ‘80s sci-fi movie aesthetic it does pull off. But overall Mass Effect (the first game, but it’s true of the series too) sucked, it’s a shit tier tactical third person shooter. If I rented the game instead of buying it on release I would’ve quit playing during the opening corridor level with what was the worst playing cover based shooting I’d ever played in a game at that point. Mass Effect is one of those games that’s so bad, that while playing it, you just kind of imagine how it could be turned into a better game more than enjoying the actual game.

Last edited:

Puukko

Arcane
Picked this up with the the intention of replaying the trilogy. It's been over a decade since I last played these games as a teenager. I had a positive memory of 2 in particular, since it's the one I played the most, while 3 is a blur, since I never even finished it or played the DLC. Browsing the thread I'm surprised how much flak 2 gets and how positive people are on 3. All the more reason it's high time for me to update my impressions and see if my old favorite holds up.

Apparently the remaster has a number of issues, mainly graphical. With ALOT, I never would have guessed that to be the case, because the game holds up remarkably well considering its age. I've got a soft spot for these 2000s mid-poly graphics combined with high res textures, I think it's an aesthetic that just works well. By far the ugliest bit are the animations. I also grabbed a few QOL mods, wide fov snd and the like. Modding is a bit of a mess with two different tools required that have to be used in a specific order.

I really can't remember much about 1's gameplay other than it being a bit janky, but so far there aren't any glaring flaws. Removing class weapon restrictions is weird though. So what, you can start off with all weapons but depending on class some are just going to get weaker over time?

Anyway, I'm aiming for something fresh, so hothead renegade male sentinel it is.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Browsing the thread I'm surprised how much flak 2 gets and how positive people are on 3.
It's just edgy snobbery and people butthurt that there was no dumb driving minigame anymore ftmp imo. 1 is generic sci fi schlock, and 3 is utter trash, but autismos liked the multiplayer and the mako driving. Anyone who likes 3 is coping pretty hard.

2 had more fleshed out, interesting companions and better writing in general. It felt almost like Farscape at certain points. A shame 3 crapped all over it in the prologue and abandoned the dark energy subplot for the boring machines vs humans BS that's really just a rehash of the Geth/Quarrian rivalry.

Myobi

Liturgist
A shame 3 crapped all over it in the prologue and abandoned the dark energy subplot for the boring machines vs humans BS
YES! Thank you.

... and now somehow, they are going to ignore that colored clusterfuck of an ending to pull another game.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
That is quite a beloved example when someone wants to show how the companions are the same person, but it's the worst possible example imo. At this point, it's a truth universally acknowledged that torture is kinda bad, so it's normal for the vaaaaaaast majority of people to be against it. And if someone is like "fuck yeah, I love torture!", It's a pretty good sign they are a deranged psycho that nobody should trust ever, not to mention in combat situations.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom