Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial Mass Effect found a way to perfect dialogue

Unwanted

RaXz

Unwanted
Brace yerselves for the coming of the New World RPG's.

Derek Larp

Cipher
So my beloved Steel Panthers is now also a nuRPG? I mean you have a choice how and when to fight and your units also advance their stats in a campaign.

Difera

Educated
JarlFrank wrote:
Quote:
crafting a constant action first-person view with all the complexities of a JRPG.

FOR FUCKS SAKE
Yes.

>Attack
>Magic
>Summon
>Item

Woah... 4 options to choose from? I am overwhelmed!

Ogg

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
Difera said:
JarlFrank wrote:
Quote:
crafting a constant action first-person view with all the complexities of a JRPG.

FOR FUCKS SAKE
Yes.

>Attack
>Magic
>Summon
>Item

Woah... 4 options to choose from? I am overwhelmed!
There's even a fifth option: "Escape". That's the one I tend to prefer.

Mackerel said:
doucheo.gif

He chose an apt profile picture.

Well THERE'S the problem. If the reviewer is being honest he isn't too young to remember true rpgs, but he's come from a console platforming background. Before Blobert comes crashing through the door, someone explain to him that's console in the non-insult sense: as in the systems that existed prior to the xbox/PS3 attempts at pseudo-PC gaming, back when the capabilities of non-consoles (as in the Apples, Amstrads, etc) of the time were just not well-suited to arcade-style games, and so consoles were a legitimate alternative gaming tradition. To this day I suck ass at platformers and brawlers because as a kid I was playing sims and line-art rpgs on an Apple IIe, when my friends were playing Super Mario Bros on their nintendos. I can accept that someone who came from that tradition wouldn't have a clue about rpgs. Or good shooters for that matter - if your first FPS was Halo, and System Shock sounds like a Windows crash-bug, then it's understandable that you'd view exploration, choice of tactics and weapon upgrades as some extraordinary rpg element.

The problem is that gaming mags see absolutely nothing wrong with putting someone from that background onto a PC genre like RPGs.

The thing is: you read the major gaming sites, and you'd be forgiven for thinking that the old-school rpg market numbers about 12 angry fucks at the codex, who don't buy games anyway. But then you check the 'users' scores, and a different picture appears altogether. Compare the user scores of Risen for example - ok, it isn't exactly an oldschool rpg, but the reasons for reviewer hate fall squarely into 'waaa this ain't the new shit'. There's obviously enough folk out there that want a challenge, and aren't getting it. That just isn't being reflected by the insane over-emphasis of the console market in gaming media and major developers.

I'm fine with lunatics like that running their own asylum. But why oh why did they have to take over ours:-(

I've said it once and i'll say it again: The world went down the drain the minute they outlawed child abuse. Back in the day they would've beaten that kind of stupidity out of him at an early age.

Deleted member 7219

Arkham Asylum is an excellent game but it is nothing like an RPG.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom