Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mass Effect: Andromeda Pre-Release Thread

Drakron

Arcane
Console games tend to have worse tails (except GTA because that series is insane), so I'd expect that may have shifted more like 35:65 by 2017. Pretty insane for a PC game these days, but consoles are major contributors to the game's sales in the high budget space.

I think you are missing what I said so I am trying to be more clear in what I meant.

In this current generation console games have 80% sale drops after week 1, this wasnt the case in the PS2 era and the majority console games are not reaching the million marks, despite this you still have the usual "console sales are more important" because you still have Marketting trying to push that idea, this is going to lead to a situation were unless you can recoup costs on Week 1 sales, you are fucked.

PC gaming despite years of being told its dead remains strong, the Witcher 3 is a example because its as console sales just up and died after a month, PC sales continued to the point were they eventually passed Console sales, in the PC even if you dont have a strong Week 1 sale you can still on the longer run make a profit, something that on console games is becoming impossible.

I suppose the reason is this, PC gamers are more traditional gamers as the console gamers suffered a large shift from the PS2 era (were they were traditional gamers) with them becoming more ... well, "tourists", they just buy hyped games so they can say they played them but arent going beyond that, they have their FIFAs and the like but it stops there.

Trying to chase after the console market in 2017 is foolish endeavour because its simply not there anymore, your goal is just week 1 sales because its not going to move much after it suffers 80% drops the following weeks and you are now reliant on massive marketing hype that is just going to inflate the cost because thats the only way to get high week 1 sales.

You have to know were your audience is and right now, the audience is mainly on the PC ... console are tourists at this point, shifting trying to appeal to what isnt your audience is not going to work.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Even EA has realized this. Take fifa, for years the pc version had an inferior and outdated engine, usually from the previous console release, now it's on par and the online pc fifa community is huge.

Last edited:

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik

C4lKm_PUYAAvGiW.jpg:large

ThoseDeafMutes

Learned
I think you are missing what I said so I am trying to be more clear in what I meant.

In this current generation console games have 80% sale drops after week 1, this wasnt the case in the PS2 era and the majority console games are not reaching the million marks, despite this you still have the usual "console sales are more important" because you still have Marketting trying to push that idea, this is going to lead to a situation were unless you can recoup costs on Week 1 sales, you are fucked.

Do you have evidence that console games aren't hitting millions of sales and are now being exceeded by the PC in the general case? Note I'm not talking about the small number of games that are cash cows like LoL, WoW and CS:GO. The PC market factoring in China and other developing industries with games-as-a-service model things is huge, but you and I are really discussing the subset of games, the ones where they are sold for $50-60 at retail and have high production values. Story driven games. The nebulous "AAA" titles.

Most high budget games would go completely bust unless they hit 1.5+ million sales overall, whether that's in the first two weeks or over a longer period. You're correct that console sales are front-loaded, I already commented that PC games have better tails than console games do in many cases, but this isn't surprising, it's been this way for a decade now. The point though is that console games can add literally millions of full priced sales to your game. It's great to sell 4 million copies over 8 years of The Witcher 2, but large numbers of those sales were heavily discounted. I'm not dismissing it as a large sales force - it's still great news for the developer. I'm merely saying that the cnosole sales are important, extremely important, even in the case of Witcher 3 where they sell much better on PC than most multiplatform games do.

PC gaming despite years of being told its dead remains strong, the Witcher 3 is a example because its as console sales just up and died after a month, PC sales continued to the point were they eventually passed Console sales, in the PC even if you dont have a strong Week 1 sale you can still on the longer run make a profit, something that on console games is becoming impossible.

They release most games on both platforms, so there's no zero sum game here. The Witcher 3 sold lots of upfront copies on console, it also enjoys long term sales on PC. I'm not entirely convinced that the sales did truly "die" on console though - there's a massive decline, but how much of that is because the initial sales spike was higher? Digital is becoming more important on console, whereas it's most of the industry on PC. Digital sales on both Xbox and Playstation stores are becoming more prominent and better value. In many ways the console industry is becoming more and more PC-ified over time.

I suppose the reason is this, PC gamers are more traditional gamers as the console gamers suffered a large shift from the PS2 era (were they were traditional gamers) with them becoming more ... well, "tourists", they just buy hyped games so they can say they played them but arent going beyond that, they have their FIFAs and the like but it stops there.

Trying to chase after the console market in 2017 is foolish endeavour because its simply not there anymore, your goal is just week 1 sales because its not going to move much after it suffers 80% drops the following weeks and you are now reliant on massive marketing hype that is just going to inflate the cost because thats the only way to get high week 1 sales.

You have to know were your audience is and right now, the audience is mainly on the PC ... console are tourists at this point, shifting trying to appeal to what isnt your audience is not going to work.

Some of what you're saying is correct, but are you really arguing that PC is a larger, stronger market for all of these games? It might be a "bigger market" for The Witcher 3 after all is said and done, after it is taken off the market in a decade and we see "oh, 60% of players were on PC overall", but why would any developer want to sacrifice 40% of their sales at full price? Is The Witcher 3 a typical case, are all games like Witcher 3? I contend they are not, and that W3 is an exception to general market trends rather than a consistent rule.

Let's look an extreme on the opposite end of the spectrum. This is not a typical example either. There have been seventy five million copies of Grand Theft Auto V sold. 75,000,000. 6.5 million were on PC. Now, let's say of the remaining 68.5 million, half were double dips. Like people who bought on 360/Ps3, and then also bought it on PS4. That still gives you a ratio of 34.25 million console owners, versus 6.5 million on PC. This is a game that fired on all cylinders, it sold to essentially everyone who is interested on PC, and also everyone who was interested on console, and the consoles beat out the PC market 5:1. This isn't really fair, I know that. GTA is an utter juggernaut and even people who only play fifa every year are interested to play it.

You would be a fool to not release your game on PC at all in this day and age. But for most games, you'd be an even bigger fool to ignore consoles as a major source of revenue. There are genres that only sell on PC, and RPGs are a genre that is more balanced than say, the major high budget first person shooter is. Or the open world action-adventure game (Batman, Middle Earth, Assassin's Creed). But unless you're making Pillars of Underrail 3, you probably need your RPG on console if it has any kind of big budget to recoup (like 25+ million dollars).

Max Stats

Liturgist
Game is going to be cringeworthy as fuck
:badnews:

It's making me regret spending $20 on ME1 to get into the series when I bought a 360 in 2008. Oh well, it was a used copy so at least none of the shits making this stuff worse and worse got any of my money from it. If only I could get all my wasted time back.

pippin

What the fuck is this, some lgbt in space picnic family parade? This is getting ridiculous even by Bioware standards. Not even Ride the Bull (tm) was as cringeworthy as this.

I didn't keep up with the development, are there any new races to bone?

Enjoy.

Jaal_0.jpg

Basically if you don't want to fuck this cat faced squid headed monicled try hard abortion of a character this game is not for you....

...MASS DEFECT ANDROGYNOUS SPECIAL EDITION FEATURING MODEL MAKO, PLASTIC N7 BATH SPACE DUCK, WATERPROOF DECALS, SUBSCRIPTION TO HUFFINGTON POST GOLD AND TURIAN DRAGON DILDO!!! (game not included)

My hype for this game doesn't exist. After the complete fucking blunder that Dragon Age Inquisition was, I don't think I have a particular interest in playing a singleplayer MMO or, at best, an action exploration game with an inventory that labels itself as an RPG.

Never played Mass Effect 3 or Inquisition; never played any Bioware since the abortion that was DA2, I'm just here for the show.

Quillon

Arcane
They strongly resemble cats to me. Big cats, panthers...

Dat female turian in one of the DLCs of ME2 or 3 in particular was very cat-like.

Kuattro

Augur

This is not the sort of press attention you want for your AAA game.

After DA:I, I would think that is EXACTLY the sort of press attention Bioware are looking for.

This is just on the previous page:

They referenced things like Tali's sweat taste in ME3 and seemed a bit rightly grossed out by it, but after that, I think all bets are off.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Bioware is the only development studio that outright promotes this sort of degeneracy, not even CD projekt, where the fucking is much more prevalent in their games, panders to these sick fucks.

Jarmaro

Liturgist
It's funny considering that when Mass Effect 1 was out, people were bitching about lesbian romance in-game lol
I think they made asari only to make that romance happen
Didn't even News television talk about it back then?

Rev

Arcane
It's funny considering that when Mass Effect 1 was out, people were bitching about lesbian romance in-game lol

Those were more innocent times.

That debate was still retarded though (the woman on the left particularly), just in a different way than today's discussions.
I still remember every time a GTA came out and there would be the discussion about violence in videogames with idiots claiming, without any evidence, that killing people and breaking the law in a game would made you a killer in real life.

Those were more innocent times.

That debate was still retarded though (the woman on the left particularly), just in a different way than today's discussions.
I still remember every time a GTA came out and there would be the discussion about violence in videogames with idiots claiming, without any evidence, that killing people and breaking the law in a game would made you a killer in real life.

Well, media in 'kwa was and is retarded on both pro-guns, anti-sex cuckersavtive spectrum, and anti-guns, pro sex and degeneracy librul one. Then again, I prefer retarded moral panic over LGBTBBQ degenerate agenda any day.

hackncrazy

Savant
Is this going to be a proper RPG or just another game in the vein of the previous Mass Effect?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom