Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mass Effect: Andromeda Pre-Release Thread

Jarmaro

Liturgist
I IGN gives 7.7, other sites mostly give -1 or -2.
Wonderful beginning of the day.

Edit: They say game retreading plot from previous mass effecrs, I was right.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Wew lad, dem IGN forums....

c7903cccc8.png

c7ae7a6ad0.png

a cut of domestic sheep prime

CODEX EXCLUSIVE

The silver bullet that finally kills Bioware...

https://webmshare.com/Dm8wX
I know everyone is focused on the fact it looks like she is walking like she pooped her pants, but look at her arms.

Who moves their arms like that? Why can't they extend fully? She do a bunch of cheater reps at the gym or something? Why are they so far back?

This is deviant art level game development.

"Indie studio"? "Amazing things"? Reeeeeaaaally...

:roll:
So translation: you lost your job, and now you're living off the government and smoking weed.

mastroego

Arcane
7.7/10 IGN
6/10 Gamespot
7.5/10 Polygon

Has EA stopped greasing palms or something?

No, the bribes bought votes around 7 instead of 2 or 3.
Even bribing can only go so far.
Reviewers are now starting to understand that if they don't provide a MINIMAL quantity of truth in their reviews people will just skip them and look for user reactions.
Plus, the game was already getting ridiculed everywhere... you cannot rate it 10 when the cat it's already out of the bag, you risk getting caught in the shitstorm.

jaydee2k

Savant
These ratings are still too high. They survived DA 2, they will survive this too.
Virgin kidz will throw buckets of money at them anyhow...

Iznaliu

Arbiter
RPS breaks out of the bribery straitjacket with its review; though unfortunately praising the derivative combat. Comments are also surprisingly competent.

Some choice excerpts:

Mass Effect Andromeda feels like a game that exists because there needed to be a new Mass Effect game. It’s hard, as deeply as you explore it, to find something that shows any other reason for it to be.

Giant decisions sproing out of nowhere, with no warning. You’re just idly clearing out yet another identikit ‘dungeon’, and then suddenly you’re asked to decide if you should kill a bunch of innocent people for some potential wider benefit

Everything feels this inconsistent, people explaining their reasons for not liking other people like primary school children, all spats and no sophisticated moral reasoning.

There’s nothing I’ve found that redeems its crappy writing, threadbare companions, moribund story, and ghastly UI. But, well, the best I can say is it occupies time

I’ve a very strong feeling that people are going to buy this anyway, and many will milk from it what they can in order to feel rewarde

Some choice comments:

I think more likely it’s the quantity. There seems to be this trend of making new games just agonizingly, grindingly full of content, the more of which there is, the harder it is to quality control

My answer: Maximise profit. I think the ‘AAA’ gaming business from 2000-2020 will be characterized by future gaming historians as the ‘let’s see what these muppets will let us get away with’ era…

Nah, John will still be accused of being a Mass Effect hating corrupt “journalist” by fans even as they combust in rage at exactly the same things he’s pointed out are shit.

To be fair I think it’s been pretty clear for several years that Bioware have never actually been the true heirs of the rpg glories of the Infinity days.

To me it reads exactly like the previous games. The collective hysteria that stopped people realising quite how moribund the whole experience always was has somehow been lifted.

To me it reads exactly like the previous games.
:nocountryforshitposters:

The older games in the series may have been overhyped and lame, but they were not a complete mess like this. There is a difference between "good for what it is" and nearly unplayable.

At least Bethesda's garbage is designed to be moddable.

Last edited by a moderator:

Athos

Arcane
RPS breaks out of the bribery straitjacket with its review; though unfortunately praising the derivative combat. Comments are also surprisingly competent.

Some choice excerpts:

Mass Effect Andromeda feels like a game that exists because there needed to be a new Mass Effect game. It’s hard, as deeply as you explore it, to find something that shows any other reason for it to be.

Giant decisions sproing out of nowhere, with no warning. You’re just idly clearing out yet another identikit ‘dungeon’, and then suddenly you’re asked to decide if you should kill a bunch of innocent people for some potential wider benefit

Everything feels this inconsistent, people explaining their reasons for not liking other people like primary school children, all spats and no sophisticated moral reasoning.

There’s nothing I’ve found that redeems its crappy writing, threadbare companions, moribund story, and ghastly UI. But, well, the best I can say is it occupies time

I’ve a very strong feeling that people are going to buy this anyway, and many will milk from it what they can in order to feel rewarde

Some choice comments:

I think more likely it’s the quantity. There seems to be this trend of making new games just agonizingly, grindingly full of content, the more of which there is, the harder it is to quality control

My answer: Maximise profit. I think the ‘AAA’ gaming business from 2000-2020 will be characterized by future gaming historians as the ‘let’s see what these muppets will let us get away with’ era…

Nah, John will still be accused of being a Mass Effect hating corrupt “journalist” by fans even as they combust in rage at exactly the same things he’s pointed out are shit.

To be fair I think it’s been pretty clear for several years that Bioware have never actually been the true heirs of the rpg glories of the Infinity days.

To me it reads exactly like the previous games. The collective hysteria that stopped people realising quite how moribund the whole experience always was has somehow been lifted.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Gonna need some snack, beer to settle down to watch a start till end playthrough video
Best Sci Fi Comedy 2017

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
To me it reads exactly like the previous games.
:nocountryforshitposters:

The older games in the series may have been overhyped and lame, but they were not a complete mess like this. There is a difference between "good for what it is" and nearly "unplayable".

At least Bethesda's garbage is designed to be moddable.

He has a point though. Even if the original Mass Effect was better than this, the franchise was still never worthy of becoming the phenomenon that it did. The 2006-2008 era was a bizarre period in gaming where a vast new audience of gamers lapped up substandard products like Mass Effect and Oblivion (and to some extent the first Witcher game, tbh) and elevated their franchises to a position they didn't really deserve.

The Witcher got better, but for the rest of them, the chickens have come home to roost (to one degree or another).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom