Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mass Effect: Andromeda Pre-Release Thread

J1M

Arcane
So yeah, the "Tempest" instead of the Normandy, Pathfinder instead of Commander, all dialog options are weak, no renegade mode.

Everything about the original ME screamed military. You even had the option to be a total pro-human racist in ME1&2. I think I remember one of the Bioware devs even talked positively about the being able to take a "softer tone" with the Patherfinder's dialog than they did with Shepard. It feels like the series got co-opted along the way by people who hate the hard military feel of the game and so decided to subtly gut those aspects.
This seems to be a trend with sci-fi. Stargate Atlantis fell into the same trap. I think it comes out of the brain damage that so many artists have that teaches them military=bad, civilian=good. How to make a military game better? Make it... not military!

In an actual civilian operation, you wouldn't have a title like Pathfinder dictating actions to 100% loyal crew. That is the definition of military discipline. You wouldn't have clear chains of succession when characters die, you'd have the anarchy of the mob and eventually something that gives way into a pseudo-vote of the strongest voices.

Basically, a civilian operation on this scale and of this level of danger sunders any suspension of disbelief because we know that any remotely similar situation in real-life would result in chaos.

PS: For those of you having fun with the animations, have a look at Scott Ryder's head from the side when he blinks. Pathfinder blinking is so powerful it stretches one's hairline. Cora has the same problem.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
This is a really fun trainwreck! Kudos to Bioware, they outdid themselves.

No emotional investment, no rage like with PoE or Numenera. Light-hearted, just like Bioware wanted.

Oh dear...

stocks.jpg

tank.jpg

EDIT

The stock should rise on a new release even if its bad, that the stock took such a shock shows the market has decided the game is bad already, just based on the current reaction.

Kudos to Bioware, they outdid themselves.
I'm kinda getting the impression nobody from previous BW titles was involved in this in any significant capacity. Ineptitude of the BW that we're used to had a meticulously autistic quality to it - they were retarded beyond measure, but always tried to present it well. What we're seeing in MEA looks more like a team of interns working for food under the same logo.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Oh dear...

stocks.jpg

tank.jpg

EDIT

The stock should rise on a new release even if its bad, that the stock took such a shock shows the market has decided the game is bad already, just based on the current reaction.
time to buy then

So yeah, the "Tempest" instead of the Normandy, Pathfinder instead of Commander, all dialog options are weak, no renegade mode.

Everything about the original ME screamed military. You even had the option to be a total pro-human racist in ME1&2. I think I remember one of the Bioware devs even talked positively about the being able to take a "softer tone" with the Patherfinder's dialog than they did with Shepard. It feels like the series got co-opted along the way by people who hate the hard military feel of the game and so decided to subtly gut those aspects.
This seems to be a trend with sci-fi. Stargate Atlantis fell into the same trap. I think it comes out of the brain damage that so many artists have that teaches them military=bad, civilian=good. How to make a military game better? Make it... not military!
Well, Atlantis still retained a military faction. But since Shep was an ass, he cucked himself under Weir from day one for no reason other than to piss off the Colonel who was much cooler than him and died on the first episode anyway.

I actually liked later on when they brought back the military and saw a bit of a power struggle for military control again with Caldwell (Skinner from X-Files). That was when the show started to actually get good.

Anyway, yeah, it's a total civilian op:

Not satisfied with killing ME once, the SJWs at Bioware wanted to kill it again by scrapping everything that gave it any incline to begin with, it seems. smh

In an actual civilian operation, you wouldn't have a title like Pathfinder dictating actions to 100% loyal crew. That is the definition of military discipline. You wouldn't have clear chains of succession when characters die, you'd have the anarchy of the mob and eventually something that gives way into a pseudo-vote of the strongest voices.

Basically, a civilian operation on this scale and of this level of danger sunders any suspension of disbelief because we know that any remotely similar situation in real-life would result in chaos.
Of course, Lord Of The Flies in space wouldn't be a proper ME sequel - though neither is this so...

Oh dear...

stocks.jpg

tank.jpg

EDIT

time to buy then

Not yet, there will be a-raping yet, wait till the game flunks and they are at 88-87 then they'll kill off Bioware and replace them to make Star Wars Franchise games then the stock will go up ten points.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I'm kinda getting the impression nobody from previous BW titles was involved in this in any significant capacity. Ineptitude of the BW that we're used to had a meticulously autistic quality to it - they were retarded beyond measure, but always tried to present it well. What we're seeing in MEA looks more like a team of interns working for food under the same logo.
Yeah, they had good artists / animators on the original Mass Effect team, and some minimally passable/tolerable writers. They don't even have that anymore. (For the artists, I had some friends on the original team, but they and others left after ME2. A couple were snatched for Deus Ex HR.)

Prime Junta

I seem to recall that the original elevator pitch for Mass Prosper: Crojipjip was "Western in space." That could've been pretty cool. I wonder what happened to it?

('Cuz Ryder sure ain't no poor, lonesome cowboy. Girl. Being. Despite the name.)

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
"Western in space."
Cowboys are about manly men with macho attitudes, staredowns, chest hair, cigars, saloons and prostitutes. That is everything Bioware now stands against. SJW require everything, every setting, to be SJW. It could not be anything other than "Diversity in space".

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
This just goes to show why they should stick to textual descriptions of what someone is doing in dialogue. All of this could have been averted with:
"To whom," the captain snaps, but her voice is as weary as a red giant in its last days. Her cheeks sag, droop even, a slump that speaks of strain that can hardly be borne any longer. "My face is tired," she added, in a low voice that said as much as the words, if not more. That she needs rest is clear; that she *cannot* rest is no less obvious.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
This just goes to show why they should stick to textual descriptions of what someone is doing in dialogue. All of this could have been averted with:
"To whom," the captain snaps, but her voice is as weary as a red giant in its last days. Her cheeks sag, droop even, a slump that speaks of strain that can hardly be borne any longer. "My face is tired," she added, in a low voice that said as much as the words, if not more. That she needs rest is clear; that she *cannot* rest is no less obvious.

9/10. You need to work in an obligatory offer to bang in the captain's spectre's pathfinder's quarters.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Probably a mix of Red Tide for passion and Gold for individual kindness, but maybe Silver too if you invoke your rank in the process.

Doktor Best

Arcane
I've never seen so many news outlets shit on a game a week before release. I don't know why I'm enjoying this so much either.

Because finally game journalism appears to be doing its goddamn job, which (if you have a very optimistic nature) could lead you to believe that in future big developers will be forced to actually give a shit about the quality of their games?

But lets stay calm guys. In the end all those negative points will be handled in one paragraph and the game will "only" get 85 out of a 100 because its still a "true bioware game".

When the Andromeda spice kicks in.
C7GSsEoUwAASkOs.jpg

Female Ryder must be the most punchable face in the whole Mass Effect universe. Beats male Shepard by a mile.

RangerBoo

Arcane
The Homeless Paradise of Washington State
"Western in space."
Cowboys are about manly men with macho attitudes, staredowns, chest hair, cigars, saloons and prostitutes. That is everything Bioware now stands against. SJW require everything, every setting, to be SJW. It could not be anything other than "Diversity in space".
Oh my God! Can you imagine a western made by Bioware? Westerns are my favorite and one being made by Bioware would be something that Satan and his minions would make to torment me for eternity in Hell.
:0-13:

Black

Arcane
Gaming jojos ripping into the game as well is taking the fun out of this a bit tbh fams.

RangerBoo

Arcane
The Homeless Paradise of Washington State
Gaming jojos ripping into the game as well is taking the fun out of this a bit tbh fams.
Actually this kinda makes it funnier. I remember during the Mass Effect 3 fiasco when Bioware was toting the "professional critic reviewers" and using them as excuses to justify the shitty choices they made during Mass Effect 3 development and ending. Now it seems that even the "professional gaming critics" have had enough with Bioware, or their checks from EA haven't cleared. Its going to be a joy to watch Bioware trying to make excuses when they no longer have the gaming journalist and critics on their side.
:bounce:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom