Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Mass Effect 3 will be re-RPG-yfied

MetalCraze

Arcane
DraQ said:
Jaesun said:
Mangoose said:
Just keep the same writers.

Please.

Unfortunately one of them already left... and went to work at Bethesduh. :shock:
Bethesduh started to hire writers? :shock:

Maybe not all is lost on the TES front.

Any Codexer with half a brain can write better than all Mass Effect writers put together.

Cassidy

Arcane
Any Codexer with half a brain can write better than Stephenie Meyer. Unfortunately, that shit still sells for a reason.

Kaanyrvhok

Arbiter
MetalCraze said:
Any Codexer with half a brain can write better than all Mass Effect writers put together.

I'm not going to jump on your NWN review. Its a little petty and people change their views but ME's writing is a much times better than NWNs. Drew Karpyshyn is one of the best... maybe in a narrow field but still one of the best. His is he specializes in thick detail which is damn hard to portray in a video game.

Silellak

Cipher
MetalCraze said:
DraQ said:
Jaesun said:
Mangoose said:
Just keep the same writers.

Please.

Unfortunately one of them already left... and went to work at Bethesduh. :shock:
Bethesduh started to hire writers? :shock:

Maybe not all is lost on the TES front.

Now, if only we could find a Codexer with half a brain. :retarded:

Zeus

Cipher
Twinkle said:
Decent Elite-like will require much more that cheap-ass drama, corridor shooting, dialogue wheels and minigames.

See, I like the space exploration of Elite-likes, but they're so damn sterile. I'd like to see something follow the pacing of a Star Trek episode. The original Star Trek was a mission of exploration and discovery, the episodes didn't follow a linear ongoing storyline, which reminds me more of Elite than some heavily scripted RPG (YOU ARE THE CHOSEN ONE! KILL THE SPACE FOOZLE!).

But problem with Elite-alikes is it's all cabin views and starfields. There's no character or personality. I'd like to hand-pick my crew and have them to make suggestions and bitch at me about moral quandaries. I'd like stuff to happen in my space ship, not just out there in space. Have an all-powerful alien who thinks he's a God show up in my captain's chair and start making orders, or maybe have some mysterious space madness afflict people. Anything but trading and dogfighting. From Alien to Avatar, most science fiction movies have very little dogfighting, and a whole lot of crew-based drama or planet surface shenanigans--two things that are sorely lacking from most science fiction games. Starflight had oodles of planetary exploration but it was all minerals and stuff. Sundog had AWESOME planets, they were like sleazy cyberpunk cities with and stuff.

I haven't played Mass Effect, but if it's anything like KotOR, there's plenty of storyline involving your party members. I'd like to see something like that applied to the space exploration genre. Something that'd make the game more like an episode of Star Trek, with just as much (if not more) crew storyline and planet exploration as starfields and space fights.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Any Codexer with half a brain can write better than all Mass Effect writers put together."

That leaves you out of the running. R00fles!

ohsnapoldman.gif

Black

Arcane
I only played ME2 but faggots who were saying that it's a vast improvement over the 1st ME make me think that the prequel was a fucking steaming pile of shit. I guess it's that kind of improvement like Oblivion > FO 3.
Let's just hope that RK69 finishes his XTREME ME2 LP soon so he can prepare his strength for ME3 full of role playing!

Black

Arcane
It's funny because Sil almost sounded like he had a point.
Not quite there yet.

Alpha Protocol
Is this the game that "fresh minded" Codexers will cream all over?

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Meh, the game actually really was good for what it was. If they are just going to add a number of meaningless filler stats just so you can shoot a pistol it would only pull the product down.

Self-Ejected

BeholderX

Self-Ejected
Black said:
I only played ME2 but faggots who were saying that it's a vast improvement over the 1st ME make me think that the prequel was a fucking steaming pile of shit.

ME was easily the worst high-profile RPG of the past decade. In terms of combat, character system, enemy variety (there are three types of Geth (who make up roughly 95% of all the enemies), two kinds of zombies, plus some dogs and space spiders for a total of 10-12 different enemies in the whole game) and level design it was less fun than Oblivion.

ME2 is an improvement on every level, and anybody clamoring for any of the old ME1 "features" needs brain surgery.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"ME was easily the worst high-profile RPG of the past decade."

Fuckin' bullshit.

Silellak

Cipher
Volourn said:

Fuckin' bullshit.
Seriously. ME1 may not be the greatest RPG in the world, but I enjoyed it quite a bit for what it was (lolz), and to say it's worse than Oblivion is just insane.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Silellak said:
Volourn said:

Fuckin' bullshit.
Seriously. ME1 may not be the greatest RPG in the world, but I enjoyed it quite a bit for what it was (lolz), and to say it's worse than Oblivion is just insane.

Definetely. ME1 was close to shit, but worse than Oblivion or Fallout 3? Not in a million years.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Oh come on. ME1 is a masterpiece compared to Oblivion and FO3. Better writing, better gameplay, better graphics, better voices... fuck even the boring ME1 sidequests were stellar compared to the Oblivion sidequests.

Oh yeah and ME1 is more fun.

Kaanyrvhok

Arbiter
For the record...

Oblivion on the PC>ME1>FO 3.

Will get ME 2 after I finish Arcanum.

Black

Arcane
So far I only see things like "shit > shit".
Shit = shit according to more oldschool scientists.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom