Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mass Effect 3 tweaked for "larger market"

Seolas said:
The last ME2 DLC was worrying and that's from someone who enjoyed their other DLC. The last one was the most generic shooter mission of the entire game and was lazily made and boring until the conversation with the Reaper at the end.

I've heard the last ME2 DLC was made by the dragon age team.

On topic: perhaps they scrapped the multiplayer spinoff and are grafting it onto ME3.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!

Twinkle

Liturgist
SuicideBunny said:
mass effect could actually be much better if it dropped pretenses of being an rpg and became a normal shooter, possibly with some very minor rpg mechanics in the vein of pretty much all recent multiplayer shooters or something like planetside.
the only problem is that me1+2 clearly demonstrate that bioware fails at pretty much everything essential for good shooters.

ME2 is pretty much a poor straightforward TPS with excessive cutscene overload. Modern multiplayer shooters already tend to have deeper customization options. Heck, if they were hell-bent on going popamole, they should've just ripped off R6V. While it was linear, there were multiple entry points to a pretty much every big location, you could plan attacks without resorting to crutches like pause mode and squadmates executed orders instead of running back and forth like retards. But even R6V's design is probably beyond Biowhore's grasp.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Seriously? ME2 was already aimed at the shooter market, so exactly what are they going to do differently to appeal to a "much larger market"? It's of course possible to dumb it down a bit more, but plenty of popular shooters are already more complex than ME2, so I don't really see the vast untapped market of idiots they could sell to.

They could of course mean that ME3 will be a good shooter instead of a mediocre one, but bioware wouldn't know good gameplay if it fucked them up the butt in a drawn out, awkward cutscene. :M

xemous

Arcane
i agree with previous statements a fps mass effect with inventory, equipment and character development plus a team of companions would be better than that 3rd person shooter shit.

and they should also hire a decent art team the games art is sterile and amateur. the characters look very amateur concept art design, with all the obvious curves etc.

removing the stupid auto face gen algorithm and putting in hand crafted faces is a good idea.

and finding some decent writers to give the aliens some character talking to npc in the first space station on me1 was fucking boring i had to stop right there, terrible, just terrible.

i wanted to like the game but it harmed me.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Spectacle said:
They could of course mean that ME3 will be a good shooter instead of a mediocre one, but bioware wouldn't know good gameplay if it fucked them up the butt in a drawn out, awkward cutscene. :M

Hell, even Crysis 2 got FPS wrong. I think I'm being realistic if ME 3 is yet another half assed attempt. What sort of RPG elements do you want ME3 to incorporate?

Alpha-Protocol style of 'shaky reticule' based on points invested? Lock-on timer from cover? Moar damage from skill advances? More hitpoints?

All I hear are criticism on the lack of RPG elements in a Third Person Shooter, but I've yet to see any sane suggestions to improve the gameplay.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS MASS EFFECT IS THE ONE TOTALLY NEWFAG SHIT THAT I LIKE

I THINK I AM A SUCKER FOR A NEW SCIFI UNIVERSE AND BROS THEY PUT A LITTLE LOVE IN IT WITH THE CODEX IN ME1 BUT BROS I DONT KNOW HOW THEY COULD MAKE FOR WIDER AUDIENCE APPEAL UNLESS THEY MADE THE MOTHERFUCKER THE SIMS MEETS FARMVILLE IN SPACE

BROS I THINK MOST OF YOU ARE RIGHT BIOWARE IS BEING ROUTED INTO MAKING MEDIOCERE THIRD PERSON ACTION GAMES AND I DONT THBINK THEY CAN COMPETE THERE AND EVENTUALLY ANYTHING GOOD THEY DID WILL DIE

BROS LOOLLOL COME TO THINK OFIT I DONT THINK I PKAYED MUCH BIOWARE SHIT I DID KOTOR AND THE MASS EFFECT GAMES BUT NOT MUCH ELSE I GUESS NO BIG LOSS EXCEPT FOR FAT GIRLS AND FAGS WHO WANT TO SEE A MANLY ELF NAIL A DWARF UP THE ASS

grdja

Augur
So triple GOTY material, right? Go on, tell "play it before you judge" once more if it will make you feel better on money you spent to feed the EA beast.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BRO WRONG FORUM MOST HERE WLL PLAY IT BEFORE THEY JUDGE THEN PLAY IT SEVEN MORE TIMES AND JUDGE IT EACHE TIME

YOU HAVE ENTERED THE POPAMOLE ZONE

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
OH AND BRO EVEN BETTER THEY WILL BE MAD THAY THEY HAD TO WASTE THE TIME PIRATING IT

AND WHEN THE DLC COMES OUT THEY WILL BE MORE PISSED CAUSE THEY HAVE TO GET THE CRACK FOR THAT

LOLLOLOL THIS IS GAMEFAQS WITH BETTER GRAMER SOMETIMES

MetalCraze

Arcane
SuicideBunny said:
mass effect could actually be much better if it dropped pretenses of being an rpg and became a normal shooter, possibly with some very minor rpg mechanics in the vein of pretty much all recent multiplayer shooters or something like planetside.
It never pretended to be a RPG. People like Codex pretended that it's a RPG.

the only problem is that me1+2 clearly demonstrate that bioware fails at pretty much everything essential for good shooters.

Aye.

CorpseZeb

Learned
Oh, I know! There will be no sex relation between Sheps and his harem, because, he must be a virgin to Save Us. No sex, thus of course ERSB 5+ rating... And here we go - Larger Market. Simple.

Anyone notice some similarity between ME and Narnia – Shep die already once... and back even better.

Following the pattern between 1 and 2, Biotics will no longer be even slightly effective. Your character will wave his hand a bit, everyone will look at him like a retard and fighting will continue.

You want to go all actiony, make my sci-fi wizard in powered armor lethal again.

MCA
shiteatingnippledick said:
villain of the story said:
DICE is already assisting Bio for combat.

And where did you heard this? Only thing I've heard about DICE is just that Bioware just took some sound design points from them.

It's all over the net and farther you get from the source, more involved the association becomes but according to one Rob Blake of Bioware:

Just to clarify, DICE aren't working on ME3 audio. We had some chats with them about how they approach their weapon audio design and we've done some asset and knowledge sharing. They've been super helpful and are great guys, but it's inaccurate to state that they're working on the audio content in any way.

We make incredible different games and our discussions really highlighted those differences. However, it's been really interesting speaking to different studios to see how they approach combat audio and we've already done considerable work to make the game sound much better :) I'm super excited about how the end result will sound!

Thanks!

But considering that the two game studios are owned by the same publisher, that the publisher in question is EA and that DICE also assisted two other recent titles (NFS: Hot Pursuit and Bulletstorm) tells me that the involvement goes a little deeper than "just a friendly exchange of ideas between two game studios", as unlikely and uncommon as that is in game industry.

Personally, I would very much prefer a more actiony Battlefield-ified Mass Effect game than the shitty third person shooter crap Bioware has got going on.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Call of Effect 3: Modern Mass of Ass sucky shitness oh go fuck yourself Bioware.

shiteatingnippledick said:
DICE is already assisting Bio for combat.

And where did you heard this? Only thing I've heard about DICE is just that Bioware just took some sound design points from them.

It's all over the net and farther you get from the source, more involved the association becomes but according to one Rob Blake of Bioware:

Just to clarify, DICE aren't working on ME3 audio. We had some chats with them about how they approach their weapon audio design and we've done some asset and knowledge sharing. They've been super helpful and are great guys, but it's inaccurate to state that they're working on the audio content in any way.

We make incredible different games and our discussions really highlighted those differences. However, it's been really interesting speaking to different studios to see how they approach combat audio and we've already done considerable work to make the game sound much better :) I'm super excited about how the end result will sound!

Thanks!

But considering that the two game studios are owned by the same publisher, that the publisher in question is EA and that DICE also assisted two other recent titles (NFS: Hot Pursuit and Bulletstorm) tells me that the involvement goes a little deeper than "just a friendly exchange of ideas between two game studios", as unlikely and uncommon as that is in game industry.

Personally, I would very much prefer a more actiony Battlefield-ified Mass Effect game than the shitty third person shooter crap Bioware has got going on.

Eh, kind of disappointed that DICE isn't working on the audio more closely but if they can make the combat less static and shitty, it's all good.
Thanks for that though. I just remembered the Gameinformer video where they talk about audio in ME3.

I.C. Wiener

Educated
So I guess I'm the only person who wishes that ME would play down the superficial RPG mechanics AND repetitive combat and aim for atmospheric space/planet exploration. Yes?

Not in bioware's hands of course, I mean when their IPs are stripped and handed out as EA guts their corpse after bankruptcy. For current-day bioware, engaging third-person shooter combat is a noble goal.

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014
I.C. Wiener said:
So I guess I'm the only person who wishes that ME would play down the superficial RPG mechanics AND repetitive combat and aim for atmospheric space/planet exploration. Yes?

No. :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom