Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Mass Effect 3 Mature & Epic

Shannow

Waster of Time
Silellak said:
I don't understand the logic of "do it well or don't bother", as long as the feature doesn't otherwise detract from the game. It's not like it's in any way a bad thing that decisions made in ME1 carried over to ME2. Were the consequences just fluff? Yeah, for the most part. Was it the same as what Bioware hyped? Honestly I don't know, I never read much pre-release hype because - SURPRISE - it's usually all bullshit. Did it take away from the fun of the game? No, not at all. In fact I thought it added a bit to the coherence and believably of the setting to see that even some of the small things I did in the first game mattered, at least as far as the story is concerned.
And I don't understand attitudes of "don't criticise stuff, it has always been bad and it won't change". Would you like press releases and pre-release hype to be accurate or not? It's pretty much the same as with polititians. Do you want them to keep their promises? Well, I sure as Hell don't want to be constantly lied to. And how do I change stuff that I don't like? I criticise it. That's right, I criticise devs for bullshit hype and I criticise polititians for bullshit promises. Not buying/voting has at lot less impact than not buying/voting coupled with criticism that tells them why I'm not buying/voting. And in some instances critism has impact. Just look at all those devs hyping their games with C&C after the codex whined aboutcriticised it for years...
TL;DR: When I criticise stuff I do it because I want things to change for the better. Letting people getting away with stuff doesn't help the future.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Shannow said:
Silellak said:
I don't understand the logic of "do it well or don't bother", as long as the feature doesn't otherwise detract from the game. It's not like it's in any way a bad thing that decisions made in ME1 carried over to ME2. Were the consequences just fluff? Yeah, for the most part. Was it the same as what Bioware hyped? Honestly I don't know, I never read much pre-release hype because - SURPRISE - it's usually all bullshit. Did it take away from the fun of the game? No, not at all. In fact I thought it added a bit to the coherence and believably of the setting to see that even some of the small things I did in the first game mattered, at least as far as the story is concerned.
And I don't understand attitudes of "don't criticise stuff, it has always been bad and it won't change". Would you like press releases and pre-release hype to be accurate or not? It's pretty much the same as with polititians. Do you want them to keep their promises? Well, I sure as Hell don't want to be constantly lied to. And how do I change stuff that I don't like? I criticise it. That's right, I criticise devs for bullshit hype and I criticise polititians for bullshit promises. Not buying/voting has at lot less impact than not buying/voting coupled with criticism that tells them why I'm not buying/voting. And in some instances critism has impact. Just look at all those devs hyping their games with C&C after the codex whined aboutcriticised it for years...
TL;DR: When I criticise stuff I do it because I want things to change for the better. Letting people getting away with stuff doesn't help the future.
The crux of the problem is when mainstream gamers lap up the hype to be truth and never change their opinion during gameplay. Then the developer/publisher gets off scot-free and decides it doesn't need to make an actual effort next time either.

Angthoron

Arcane
Shannow said:
Silellak said:

Well said. If the function was just there, it would be cool, whether perfectly implemented for every action or not. If it wasn't hyped and wasn't used as a "Hey look we're so awesome with hundreds of..." a-la Bethesda F3 "hundreds of endings" type of rubbish, it would be fine. If the consequences would only kick in if you loaded up from a ME1 saved game, it would be cool (and would encourage new players to buy ME1 potentially, to see how the story would be different). Instead, what we get is hype and a cop-out.

Monocause

Arcane
And a rather poor cop-out as well. Still, I'm awaiting ME3 seeing as how the campy sci-fi action flick formula is more and more refined.

Solution is simple - stop listening to hype unless it's backed with reasonable proof, fe. gameplay videos showing believable stuff (as opposed to ones showing completely unrealistic crap like that famous Oblivion vid with heavily scripted cat-fireballing action).

Angthoron

Arcane
Monocause said:
And a rather poor cop-out as well. Still, I'm awaiting ME3 seeing as how the campy sci-fi action flick formula is more and more refined.

Solution is simple - stop listening to hype unless it's backed with reasonable proof, fe. reasonably sized demo versions that present a part of the game, preferrably not edited to make the game look better than it is, a bit like the shareware system of the 90ies worked.

Fixed that a little. Videoes aren't exactly proof of anything, as you've mentioned the Oblivion example yourself.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Monocause said:
Solution is simple - stop listening to hype unless it's backed with reasonable proof, fe. gameplay videos showing believable stuff.
But then we're back to Silelak's statement that it's fine for the devs to lie and that they shouldn't be criticised for it.
I don't believe hype and I don't buy games on hype. Doesn't mean I wouldn't rather be able to believe pre-release information because the devs have a trackrecord of telling the truth.
Same with bugs and patches. Yes, the majority of games released are buggy, require and get early patches. Doesn't mean I want to wait with playing for 1-2 months after every "release" until I can be fairly certain that most bugs have been squashed. So I'll keep criticising buggy releases and the devs and publishers can keep waiting for my bucks until 1-2 months after release.

racofer

Thread Incliner
ITT a bunch of whiny faggots who haven't even played the games talk shit out of their asses but will surely flame skyway should he start posting like this elsewhere, or even in here.

Dragula

Augur
This IP needs more boobs, seriously, first game, sex with no boobs, second game, sex with bra. I mean, listen to God of War ffs!

MetalCraze

Arcane
Silellak said:
Hype is irrelevant.
Of course. Except when this feature ends up in the game it's cool and you will be defending it to the death, but when developers lie outright - oh this is irrelevant - it's good for what it is. No wonder we can't have nice things.

If you're going to bitch about a feature that no other game series has, you damn well better be able to point to an example of it being done better elsewhere.
Except when someone bitches about a feature that is done better elsewhere you join "it's good for what it is" crowd.
They promised you a cake - they made it out of shit - you ate it - thus the problem is you, not him.

For the record, I never saw Bioware hype how choices in ME1 would impact gameplay in ME2. They said your choices would have consequences, which they did. Just because it doesn't align with the Codex definition of C&C doesn't mean Bioware was less than truthful.
No wonder - just proves you ignore previews and dev interviews, because the game will be good for what it is. Everything you did in ME1 mattering in ME2 was one of the most hyped ME2 features.

Monocause said:
Solution is simple - stop listening to hype unless it's backed with reasonable proof, fe. gameplay videos showing believable stuff (as opposed to ones showing completely unrealistic crap like that famous Oblivion vid with heavily scripted cat-fireballing action).
How will you tell what's believable from what's not?
I have a better solution - stop buying these games. Lack of idiot money always helps devs do better, otherwise they produce excrements like AP and ME.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom