Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mass Effect 2 - Prelude for E3

Qwinn

Scholar
As long as they fix the retarded inventory system and reduce the amount of loot you get, its cool.

Agreed. These were definitely the two worst things. Particularly if you're going to base replayability around unlocking harder difficulties and stuff. If you're gonna do that, you can't make all the best loot available on the first run through.

I'm quite looking forward to ME2, I think it will be better than most people suspect.

As for the weakness of the story, it doesn't bother me that much. It wasn't -great- but it wasn't particularly bad, and I recognize it for what it was - establishing the races, the history, etc. 2nd and 3rd games won't have to devote so much time in establishing histories and background (which I think ME -did- do reasonably well), and can focus more on the story and plot.

Qwinn

Qwinn

Scholar
The "aiming aid" is, for some strange reason, ridiculously overblown on the Codex. Yes, I know, it claims there is in the manual. I never noticed it during gameplay. If I wasn't aiming at my target properly, well, I might graze target with an occasional bullet due to the spread from the pistol or the assault rifle (which is perfectly natural and realistic, and wasn't anywhere near enough to get through a target's shields), but it certainly didn't do anything like make bullets fly around corners or any of the other ludicrous things I've seen suggested on this board.

Qwinn

MetalCraze

Arcane
Reading this thread is a pain. It's like reading Bio boards where people write how they love flaming mediocrity. Fucking Decline.

Black

Arcane
fizzelopeguss said:
Black said:
fizzelopeguss said:
Fuck the codex, mass erect was amazing. there's no doubt this game will tickle my balls whilst licking my anus.
Yeah, so was Jade Empire! Fuck the Codex, they say it's bad so it must be good!

JE is worth a play through.
Same can be said about any game that has no real merits and is painfully average.
"You know, it's worth a play through".

Wyrmlord

Arcane
That's not a trailer, that's a bunch of developer heads talking.

What is this shenanigans?

Dionysus

Scholar
Qwinn said:
Agreed. These were definitely the two worst things. Particularly if you're going to base replayability around unlocking harder difficulties and stuff. If you're gonna do that, you can't make all the best loot available on the first run through.

I'm quite looking forward to ME2, I think it will be better than most people suspect.
I don't see any reason to think that it will be a big improvement over the first. The extreme enemy/loot scaling was the single biggest problem with the first game, and they haven't said anything about that. They've said that they will improve the combat (which wasn't a big problem in the first game) and "tighten" the exploration (which probably means that there will be less of it). I can think of a lot of ways to improve ME, but they are just talking about more guns and tweaked visuals.

Qwinn

Scholar
Dionysus said:
I don't see any reason to think that it will be a big improvement over the first. The extreme enemy/loot scaling was the single biggest problem with the first game, and they haven't said anything about that. They've said that they will improve the combat (which wasn't a big problem in the first game) and "tighten" the exploration (which probably means that there will be less of it). I can think of a lot of ways to improve ME, but they are just talking about more guns and tweaked visuals.

Yeah, as far as the video in the OP goes, you're right. I'm also basing it, though, on the ME forums, which I do poke into and look around once in a while. Most of their regular posters do seem to appreciate the storyline, so they don't bitch about that. They -do- bitch about the inventory and all that. So they know about it, of that I'm pretty sure. And let's face it, it's not hard to describe -why- it's messed up, or how it could be made a lot better. I think it will get revamped.

Qwinn

Rabidredneck

Liturgist
I've played the hell out of ME 1, it's one of my favorite 360 games. I do have a list of improvements i'd like to see

1. Put some filters on the inventory screen. I'd like to find a specific weapon or mod without scrolling all the way down.

2. Put some filters on the buy/sell screen. I'd like to be able to sell off crap gear without scrolling through the whole inventory list.

3. More types of loot. Instead of opening a lock and finding yet another batch of guns or armor, how about actual loot items. Crap that's only meant to be sold. Or one-shot tools like auto-hackers or auto-decoders.

As for a lot of other complaints people have, I can see where they're coming from, but it doesn't bother me all that much. I'd love to see the Mako get an overhaul, but I've gotten good at driving it around.

As for the video, ME 2 is definitely on my must have list. And whoever asploded the Normandy is gonna be on the receiving end of a proper southern asswhuppin'!

Dionysus

Scholar
Qwinn said:
Yeah, as far as the video in the OP goes, you're right. I'm also basing it, though, on the ME forums, which I do poke into and look around once in a while. Most of their regular posters do seem to appreciate the storyline, so they don't bitch about that. They -do- bitch about the inventory and all that. So they know about it, of that I'm pretty sure. And let's face it, it's not hard to describe -why- it's messed up, or how it could be made a lot better. I think it will get revamped.
I disagree. The first Fallout 3 previews made it clear that it wouldn't have Oblivion's oppressive level scaling. I haven't heard boo about that from Bioware. Their idea to improve the exploration involves tying all of the explorable planets to the main quest. They won't reward the player with useful in-game items or clues, but will instead reward the player with cutscenes. I don't think they want to make a game with a strong exploration component.

Rabidredneck said:
3. More types of loot. Instead of opening a lock and finding yet another batch of guns or armor, how about actual loot items. Crap that's only meant to be sold. Or one-shot tools like auto-hackers or auto-decoders.
I think "too much loot" is part of the problem. "More loot" won't work as a solution. Money is pretty much irrelevant because all necessary items are easily found (over and over again) and never depleted. One-shot tools would be pointless unless they get rid of omnigel. The game needs less level scaling and less loot.

Qwinn

Scholar
Eh. How exactly do you make a promo around that point? "Our inventory system will no longer suck horribly!" That's not exactly going to get you more sales. The best inventory system in the world is not a selling point worth hyping. Big new weapons and improved graphics are. So I wouldn't let what they say or neglect to say in the hype mean much.

I'm mostly just going on my gut based on what I've read the devs say on their forums, plus, while I'm not a Bioware fanboi by any means, I do have enough faith in their basic competence that they can recognize -really- badly done mechanics and in sequels fix them to at least acceptable, if not awesome, levels..

Qwinn

Dionysus

Scholar
Qwinn said:
Eh. How exactly do you make a promo around that point? "Our inventory system will no longer suck horribly!" That's not exactly going to get you more sales. The best inventory system in the world is not a selling point worth hyping. Big new weapons and improved graphics are. So I wouldn't let what they say or neglect to say in the hype mean much.

I'm mostly just going on my gut based on what I've read the devs say on their forums, plus, while I'm not a Bioware fanboi by any means, I do have enough faith in their basic competence that they can recognize -really- badly done mechanics and in sequels fix them to at least acceptable, if not awesome, levels..
It wouldn't be too uncommon to boast of an interface overhaul when hyping a sequel (if that was a common complaint). I didn't have a big problem with the inventory (except when selling), and that's a fundamentally minor issue anyway. I think the game has a big level-scaling issue (very much like Oblivion) that neuters the exploration and RPG elements in the game. I don't think they want to address that issue. I suspect that they recognize it, but they don't want to make an RPG with good exploration and variations in risk/reward.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
Black said:
fizzelopeguss said:
Black said:
fizzelopeguss said:
Fuck the codex, mass erect was amazing. there's no doubt this game will tickle my balls whilst licking my anus.
Yeah, so was Jade Empire! Fuck the Codex, they say it's bad so it must be good!

JE is worth a play through.
Same can be said about any game that has no real merits and is painfully average.
"You know, it's worth a play through".

pretty much, but that's jade empire, not mass effect.

Mass Effect annoyed the hell out of me since i expected more than i got. Guess that's what you get when you pour your hope (and $$$) into Bioware. I don't expect the second game to be any better.

santino27 said:
The One True Gamer said:
Looks good to me. Can't really see any realistic complaints about ME that constitute a dealbreaker. Is it flawless, no, is it bloody brilliant, yes.

The Codex is often inscrutable to me but BioWare hate is probably the most bizarre of all tropes around here.

Weak (and short) main story, terrible combat, shallow, repetitive side-quests, horrible dialogue system... yeah, sounds bloody brilliant.

False, false, false, agreed, false... in fact the only real criticisms of it are an abominably shit inventory system and that the sidequests need more development. Oh and the loading, god the loading. None of which are dealbreakers. The Codex just sucks at games.

Lim-Lim

Liturgist
Rabidredneck said:
I'd love to see the Mako get an overhaul, but I've gotten good at driving it around.

What? How can anyone beat the game and not get good at driving the mako? There's nothing to learn, just press a button and it goes forward. Another thing is, that if you are aiming to complete the sidequests in the game, then you have to drive the mako all the fucking time.
"'I've gotten good at driving the mako", my ass.

The combat is pretty lazy business and just doesn't deliver good action thrill or any tactical challenge, but is often aggravating since your own teammates shoot you in the back (and continue to do so until you move out of the way) or at walls, and you often die to suprise attacks from some big rocket launchers which is up to luck and trial & error.

The worst thing about ME, though, is that it's so unmemorable and bland. It's just not very well fleshed out (walls of text about blue lesbian biology or whatever don't count).

kris

Arcane
Spectacle said:
Nice music in that trailer too. You know, I can't even remember if Mass Effect 1 had any music. It must have had, right?

IMO, the music was the best part of the first game.

Xaus

Novice
Another game this place hates with a passion. Surprise.

Mass Effect is a really great game. The side quests sucked and BioWare admitted it themselves that they sucked horribly. Their given excuse was because they spent so much time programming / developing the art assets / engine that by the time they were done with the backend of the game and the main plot they didn't have as much time to flesh out the side quests or the planets. So they just threw the shit together and sent it out.

So, another thing to keep an eye out for ME2... much better side quests.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Great game indeed!

How about dialog?

How about "ok, supercommando saving the galaxy but we don't really believe you so go on, fight alone!"-syndrome?

How about the utterly and retardedly linear vehicle runs on planets? Why couldn't the spaceship drop you in the city, instead of 10 miles outside, where there's a convenient canyon filled with utterly challengeless filler combar?

How about completely worthless inventory? And the silly gear? "Ooh, I got Dragon Pistol XIV, I bet it's way better than Dragon Pistol XIII" Whee!

If you build a space opera game, you could atleast make it feel "space". Space combat, different gravities, really weird enviroments etc etc. ME was utterly bland rip-off of your basic, pulp military sci-fi.

Xaus

Novice
GarfunkeL said:
Great game indeed!

How about dialog?

How about "ok, supercommando saving the galaxy but we don't really believe you so go on, fight alone!"-syndrome?

How about the utterly and retardedly linear vehicle runs on planets? Why couldn't the spaceship drop you in the city, instead of 10 miles outside, where there's a convenient canyon filled with utterly challengeless filler combar?

How about completely worthless inventory? And the silly gear? "Ooh, I got Dragon Pistol XIV, I bet it's way better than Dragon Pistol XIII" Whee!

If you build a space opera game, you could atleast make it feel "space". Space combat, different gravities, really weird enviroments etc etc. ME was utterly bland rip-off of your basic, pulp military sci-fi.

I had no problems with the dialogue system whatsoever. I enjoyed it.

The whole supercommando saving the galaxy bit gets fleshed out and the roles of the Spectres are explained quite well in game, I thought. This is getting really nitpicky, too. You start out tracking down Saren and finding out his role in regards to the Geth. The council does dismiss the Reaper threat and why not? They do explain that they believe it all to be make believe on Saren's part. Also, it IS explained quite well the role of the Spectres being that they don't work in large groups and are the covert-covert ops. The council couldn't go into the Terminus systems simply because that might cause all the loose factions within that area of space to band together and create a much larger threat.

Yes, the Mako was complete shit and yes the driving bits were boring and pretty horrible. But, hey, Bioware admitted that themselves and reinforced the point that the majority of development time was spent on the backend / engine bits.

Yes, I played the 360 version and I had to deal with the worst iteration of the inventory system. I spent a good chunk of time on that screen alone just equipping and double checking and making sure everyone's upgrades were set properly.

I'm also quite interested to see if the choice & consequences bit really pays off in ME2 and if it lives up to what Bioware is claiming so far... already confirmed that the characters (or a certain Council which you choose to let live or die) that died in ME1 will not make an appearance in ME2. Definitely interesting to see how much of an influence this'll have on ME2 and even ME3.

Probably the biggest claim made by Bioware so far in regards to the trilogy is depending on the choices you make in ME1 you can completely alter the experiences and story points throughout the other two games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom