Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mask of the Betrayer '15

Gozma

Arcane
Don't turn off spirit eater. Also don't use the dumber exploits to do a suppress game or it won't do what it's supposed to do (make you feel some time pressure and keep you from rest spamming, mainly).

Nael

Arcane
Play the OC. It gets a lot of hate around here and maybe for good reason but I think you should playthrough at least once (seven times) and from there you can enjoy MotB as completely as possible. If you have it on your hard drive then at least give it a try.

Just use a mod that removes the super irritating Spirit Eater

Also, this is one of the worst pieces of advice I've ever read on these forums besides the exhortation of violent crime in GD.

Ivan

Arcane
Started the journey. Made a wizard and set the game on easy. Like with Torment, I went into it with no prior knowledge of D&D, so here' to hoping this explains itself as well as torment. Anything else I need to know?

Making my way through Okku's caverns and wanted some counsel about the camera. I found using the tactical works best but was wondering if there was a way to have it fixed. Having to rotate the camera to align it with the map is...disorienting. Aside from that, I've no complaints. Also, quick ?, are Sofya's minions infinte. I don't lose out on any story if it dies?

Athelas

Arcane
You shouldn't have to rotate the camera if you've set it to the top-down strategic cam. Be sure to unlock the camera/uncenter from player in the options.

You can (re-)summon Safiya's familiar once a day.

Ivan

Arcane
Does the familiar ever initiate unique dialogue (i.e. should I always endeavor to have it alive?) Thus far it hasn't bantered (I wondered if it would be like this game's Morte or something)

Athelas

Arcane
I remember him chiming in during some dialogues. It's not very frequent though.

You might want to keep him around for his lockpicking skills anyway.

I wondered if it would be like this game's Morte
Well, there's an obnoxious womanizing companion.

You might meet a floating skull later in the game as well. :M

Ivan

Arcane
One last thing. Is there an option for looted containers to not glow?

Also, what's up with the running speed. My main and Sofya "run" with a stick up their asses, but the animated Golem runs just fine. They can't possibly be encumbered since I just started the game. What's up?

Tigranes

Arcane
OC is decent, nothing great, worth a try. If you get bored, just quit and play MOTB.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I see a lot of idiots here defending the Spirit Eater thing. That was by far the worst mechanic I ever seen in any RPG I played.

Prime Junta

The Spirit Eater mechanic was mountains of fun, especially if you embraced it. I could only bring myself to do that on one playthrough though; the evil shit you can do in this game is truly despicable.

Deleted member 7219

The Spirit Eater is an excellent moron detector, and one of the best, most original systems Obsidian have ever come up with. Yes, it has its flaws, but it has its merits too.

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
I see a lot of idiots here defending the Spirit Eater thing. That was by far the worst mechanic I ever seen in any RPG I played.
then you should stick to games by bioware and bethesda. they should accommodate for your lacking mental powers.

Ivan

Arcane
i don't know what im doing wrong but im getting destroyed in the first legit fight in the theater. am i mean to pick up another compa in town? 4 melee dudes and a mage vs 2 mages isnt going very swell

Andnjord

Arcane
Go to the prison in the northern part of Mulsantir.

PS: I'm not entirely sure this companion is already available, you might have to finish the theater first. Still worth checking though.

Seari

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
The Spirit Eater is an excellent moron detector, and one of the best, most original systems Obsidian have ever come up with. Yes, it has its flaws, but it has its merits too.
Morons who play with it that is.

Deleted member 7219

Morons who play with it that is.

Nah. I didn't want to spend much time micro-managing it, so I went the suppress path. Didn't have any problems, and it was nice that having a calm and relaxed play style affected one of the systems in the game.

If I wanted to, I could have been a bit more of a classic BioWare/Bethesda psychopath, but then I would have had to deal with the consequences of the Spirit Eater mechanic. That's good.

Obsidian set out to have in-game consequences to reckless gameplay and I think the Spirit Eater mechanic is the best we've seen of that. From every other developer, we've just seen endgame slides, people acting pissy at you, and being locked out of quests, but never a direct impact on gameplay like this.

But for me, the best thing about the Spirit Eater mechanic is how it is an excellent moron detector. People can have valid criticisms of it, but to dismiss it out of hand reveals much about what they really want out of video games.

ArchAngel

Arcane
But for me, the best thing about the Spirit Eater mechanic is how it is an excellent moron detector. People can have valid criticisms of it, but to dismiss it out of hand reveals much about what they really want out of video games.
Fun gameplay?
Spirit Eater is for idiots that like to punish themselves while playing...

Deleted member 7219

Fun gameplay?

Wouldn't be much of a curse if it was all about running around smelling the roses...

Andkat

Educated
The spirit eater mechanic was fantastic. I played a full devour game and having to actually plan out rests carefully (it very much solves the "rest spam" issues, at least on Max Craving) was excellent in terms of providing some consistent need for thought/element of challenge throughout the game- I have fond memories of setting up "snack zones" in the Academy by having Safiya Petrify 1-2 enemies at a time so I could come back to them later if my spirit eater bar started dropping and there were no nearby encounters to feast upon. That said, the compulsion to pause the game constantly to avoid superfluous losses of spirit energy at max craving did get a little tiresome at times.

That said, a Wizard (or any other pure casting focused build that isn't a warlock) going max craving/full devour is going to have a harder time than most due to how the spirit eater mechanics can constrain resting (otherwise in most NWN2 campaigns you can just hit "rest" between every fight and always have your entire spell list).

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane
Fun gameplay?

Wouldn't be much of a curse if it was all about running around smelling the roses...
Except when you play it feels like a curse for the players and not their characters. If you like LARPing that is your problem.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom