Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Marvel Snap! (aka Fast Gwent by Hearthstone devs)

Shulk is a staple in Deathwave decks since she entered P3. Wave T5. Shulk, Death, Taskmaster/Aero/Magneto/Zola/whatever T6 is very strong.

A big part of the player base likes to whine about Aero needing a nerf, but imo she’s okay (though admittedly very, very good).

And now, as of CL 3,454 I am Pool 3 complete. I began playing on Day 1 of the public launch, and I have been buying the season passes, but have not spent real money on anything else. I have probably missed dailies for somewhere around 10-15 days total, but have otherwise completed all dailies, and all gold has been spent on either credits or mission refills (excepting the launch week where I didn't bother to do my math and failed to realize the "fast upgrades" in the shop were complete ripoffs). First P3 was Crystal, last was Falcon, so started with a whimper and ended with a "meh". Thoughts on card progression generally are that the game is at it's best when you are mid P3. At that point you have acquired two or three "buildarounds", and have seen most of the cards available, so you've started to target specific cards that you're hoping for. At this point in the progression opening CRs is exciting because you never know if you're going to pull that Mystique to complement your Wong, or if you'll pull She-Hulk (I know she is only recently P3, but I'm using her to illustrate a point) to knock your Deathwave deck into overdrive. By contrast, early and late P3 progression largely feel bad. Early P3 is marked by a general "what the fuck is going on here" vibe where, if you're playing in ranks above 60, you probably have no reasonable/reliable way to counter the majority of decks you're facing, and even if you have the cards to counter the deck you likely lack the meta-knowledge to accurately predict the opponent's deck. Late P3 is on the other end of the spectrum; it's pretty easy to make a totally playable deck that can make it to infinite if you have access to 3/4 of P3, but it's boring to do so, and there's not much impetus to do so because the main carrot-on-the-stick of unlocking specific new cards has likely undergone significant diminishing returns by that point in the progression ladder.

I will also unequivocally state that non P3 progression has felt awful to me. The P4 cards that I have pulled were, in order: M'Baku, Absorbing Man, Attuma, Titania, Maria Hill, and Super Skrull. In the current meta, one of those cards is definitely playable, one of them is an edge case, and two of them are memeable, the other two are worse than most P3 cards. ALSO: 3 OF THEM ARE NO LONGER P4 DROPS. WTF.

I'd love to be able to comment on how P5 pulls feel, but unfortunately I haven't pulled any of them. On the upside this means I haven't had to deal with the disappointment of pulling Shadowking.

Jason Liang

Arcane
Once I am Pool 3 complete (I'm CL 2800) I don't plan on opening any reserve caches until after Shadow King drops to Pool 3 :D

Jason Liang

Arcane
My Season 9 Report~

Well, going into this season, I thought that pulling Shuri at the end of season 8 would give me enough advantage to make a legitimate push to Infinite. Well I was wrong - it seems most players that weren't lucky enough to pull her were able to save and scrounge 3000 tokens to get her from the shop. I honestly played the Shuri deck very poorly- I snapped poorly and often got shamed by Shang Chi and Aero, and also I did not have Red Skull and chose to not spend the tokens on a genocidal Nazi.

Snap stats:
ms23040.jpg

Final deck:
ms23039.jpg

Card stats:
ms23038.jpg

Some notable matches this season:
ms23031.jpg

ms23035.jpg

ms23033.jpg

ms23034.jpg
ms23032.jpg

ms23030.jpg

ms23029.jpg

ms23028.jpg

ms23036.jpg

Jason Liang

Arcane
My Season 10 Report-

I picked up Red Skull from the free card, so I spent the final week ranking up to 75. Let's just say Shuri without Red Skull is pretty mediocre. I also played Professor X even more extensively this season. Let's just say that playing "Wheels" on 4 with Electro is WAY better than playing him on 5. Cosmo ended up pretty good today to give the finger to Wong and Hazmat.

Game is pretty stale now; I want to play some other deck but it'll just suck in comparison. Once Bast drops and I pick her up I may be able to play something else.

My stats-
ms23059.jpg

ms23060.jpg

ms23058.jpg

ms23056.jpg

Bigg Boss

Arcane
I can't get over 80 to save my life. I like Captain Marvel better than Red Skull though.

Jason Liang

Arcane
I'm going on indefinite hiatus.

ms23068.jpg

With 106 Unopened collector reserves, ~21k tokens, 12k gold and 11k credits saved up, I figure I can see if I want to come back to this game in November to see if it's worth playing then and not miss anything significant besides some cosmetics. I'll still login once a month for the free card, or if they put out a good bundle deal for gold.

Had an alright time this season. I played Death Wave for the first half before the deck got euthanized by the Wave nerf. Good night, sweet prince. Played a mashup of Doom Wave and Leech Ultron for the remainder of the season except when I had to break out Shuri for the "Win a location with only 1 card" and "Win a location with 20+ power" missions.

ms23074.jpg

ms23071.jpg

ms23072.jpg

ms23073.jpg

ms23070.jpg

ms23069.jpg

I should not have tried for Rank 80 on yesterday Kamar Taj day. Odin kicked my ass oldskool.

My final cumulative card stats since Season 6:

ms23075.jpg

Last edited:
Haven’t been playing much this season, but I’ve been climbing quite steadily with a Phoenix deck. Already busted through over 40 ranks and am faring decently in the mid 80s with it.

Kind of surprised at the amount of people insisting it’s a bad card. It’s certainly not the kind of meta-defining card that Surfer and Zabu were in their respective seasons, but it’s a solid card when played intelligently, and in combination with Ghost Spider last month it’s easy to say that move decks have never been in a better place.

Was a great game, but they released cards too frequently.
I don’t think there was anything too off with the pace of card releases (although I would have preferred they release cards in blocks of 6-10 every few months instead of one per week), but they for sure fucked up in how quickly they power-crept the cards being released, and they’ve done a shit job in general at balance changes.

J1M

Arcane
I don’t think there was anything too off with the pace of card releases (although I would have preferred they release cards in blocks of 6-10 every few months instead of one per week), but they for sure fucked up in how quickly they power-crept the cards being released, and they’ve done a shit job in general at balance changes.
Releasing a new card each week is detrimental. The meta never stabilizes, which means developing and demonstrating mastery is neutered. Also, players that aren't paying top dollar are constantly stuck in the phase of losing to cards they don't have. They never hit a phase of having access to the full meta and having the upper hand for a week or two in some matches.

Releasing a new card each week is detrimental. The meta never stabilizes, which means developing and demonstrating mastery is neutered. Also, players that aren't paying top dollar are constantly stuck in the phase of losing to cards they don't have. They never hit a phase of having access to the full meta and having the upper hand for a week or two in some matches.
Eh, yes and no. Players who have played consistently since launch are going to have most of the cards. I still play semi-regularly (probably on average enough to complete 30/42 dailies in a week) as a mostly F2P player, and I’m only missing 7 cards, and only one of those (Living Tribunal) is consistent enough to see any sort of regular play in high ranks. Admittedly I’ve gotten very lucky with my spotlights (Im not sure that I’ve ever opened more than two in a week before getting what I wanted), but for me personally I don’t have any problem with the acquisition system; I can definitely see how it might feel much worse to someone who hasn’t been playing since day 1 though.

I agree completely with your point on the meta never settling though, which is why I think 10 cards dropped once every 3 months would have been a way better route. This whole problem is then compounded by SD’s greed to sell undertested, meta-warping cards in the season pass which occasionally whiplash the meta into toxic/stagnant places.

J1M

Arcane
I tried to play this again. Fun game structure, but it really needs a subscription or mode that unlocks a full collection. I want to play with the card interactions, not watch someone on the other side of the board do that.

I still play, but I’m not sure how much longer I will keep up with it. I’m pretty much collection complete. Missing 3 cards (Howard, Martyr, and Havok), but have the tokens to buy them if I wanted (I don’t, they’re all trash; maybe Martyr has some edge cases of utility).

Yeah the game seems underthought at this point. Cards are just thrown out into release with seemingly no balance testing (How the fuck did Second Dinner not realize Blob was going to be a major problem in its release state?! It wasn’t even one of their P2W cards!)

Couple this with the glacial rate they release new modes (How is there STILL not a draft mode in this game?! Would go a very long way to addressing the annoyance of being a collection incomplete player.), their general predatory monetary practices, and their abysmal customer service… yeah I don’t see the player base sticking around much longer.

Jason Liang

Arcane
I still do daily missions and hoard all the rewards from Ranked and Conquest. Mostly just play Loki in ranked and Hela in Conquest these days. Love my Hela deck, its a joy to play. Mostly chasing splits now, game refuses to give me Mad Boogie Domino in the variant shop :/

ms24002.jpg

golds.jpg

inks.jpg

ms24022.jpg

ms24018.jpg

ms24016.jpg

ms24014.jpg

ms24013.jpg

J1M

Arcane
I picked it up again a few months ago. Still like the game, but the lack of a proper catch up mechanism and the painful card acquisition makes it difficult to recommend to anyone.

It should be easy to maintain a full collection for $20/month. A lot of the fun comes from many different decks being viable. But the design doesn't want you to have the cards you need.

Developers appear completely oblivious to this because they have special accounts with all the cards and interact primarily with streamers that are whales paying $50/card.

I say that as someone who has hit infinite and has half the rare cards.

Last edited:

J1M

Arcane
Here's a deck that doesn't require rare cards that's pretty good at stealing cubes.

Don't forget you can use Absorbing Man to copy Odin. Or that Wong + Mystique + Iron Heart + Odin will win a game.

# (2) Hazmat
# (2) Armor
# (3) Ironheart
# (3) Mystique
# (3) Brood
# (3) Magik
# (3) Silver Surfer
# (3) Luke Cage
# (4) Wong
# (4) Absorbing Man
# (5) Sera
# (6) Odin
#
eyJDYXJkcyI6W3siQ2FyZERlZklkIjoiSGF6bWF0In0seyJDYXJkRGVmSWQiOiJJcm9uaGVhcnQifSx7IkNhcmREZWZJZCI6Ik15c3RpcXVlIn0seyJDYXJkRGVmSWQiOiJCcm9vZCJ9LHsiQ2FyZERlZklkIjoiTWFnaWsifSx7IkNhcmREZWZJZCI6IlNpbHZlclN1cmZlciJ9LHsiQ2FyZERlZklkIjoiTHVrZUNhZ2UifSx7IkNhcmREZWZJZCI6IldvbmcifSx7IkNhcmREZWZJZCI6IkFic29yYmluZ01hbiJ9LHsiQ2FyZERlZklkIjoiU2VyYSJ9LHsiQ2FyZERlZklkIjoiT2RpbiJ9LHsiQ2FyZERlZklkIjoiQXJtb3IifV19
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and paste it from the deck editing menu in Snap.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom