Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mars: War Logs - scifi action-RPG from Spiders

Helly

Translating for brofists
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Combat sadly stays tedious as you always encounter the same enemies in the game: Moles, Dogs and Rifle/Shield/Standard dude (with the occasional lightning dude)
I kinda liked the combat, but the lack of diversity is a buzzkill...

I'm at the third/fourth chapter I believe, and the C&C and sidequest content is definitely lacking too.

Multi-headed Cow

Well this is a real fucking bummer. The game is locking me on console controls because I had a controller plugged in when I launched it. Launching the game with the controller unplugged still leaves controller button prompts and (Seemingly) fucks up some of the menus if you try to use them via keyboard. I know it actually HAS keyboard+mouse button prompts because of that forcesc2strategy video.

VIDEOGAAAAAAAAAAAAAAME!

Edit: Oh, what the fuck. Instead of putting it in the controller options, there's a setting under options-game to change to keyboard.
Kinda weird but at least it's proper now.

Helly

Translating for brofists
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Well this is a real fucking bummer. The game is locking me on console controls because I had a controller plugged in when I launched it. Launching the game with the controller unplugged still leaves controller button prompts and (Seemingly) fucks up some of the menus if you try to use them via keyboard. I know it actually HAS keyboard+mouse button prompts because of that forcesc2strategy video.

VIDEOGAAAAAAAAAAAAAAME!

Edit: Oh, what the fuck. Instead of putting it in the controller options, there's a setting under options-game to change to keyboard.
Kinda weird but at least it's proper now.
Oh yeah, it took me some time to figure it out too.
Why the hell didn't they put everything on the same page like in every other game? :rpgcodex:

Multi-headed Cow

Gotta say I'm genuinely enjoying this so far. Only played about half an hour so things could definitely get worse, but the little bit of combat I played in the tutorial was entertaining, I like the look of the game (Graphics aren't amazing from a technical perspective but the design of crap is largely nice), and the voice acting isn't as horrible as I was lead to believe. It's certainly nothing great, but the two main characters don't grate on me.

God damn Focus published RPGs WHY DO I LOVE YOU SO MUCH. IT MAKES NO SENSE.:codexisforindividualswithgenderidentityissues:

Turjan

Arcane
Meh, too witchery for my taste, though I do like their art:
mars-4.png

That's actually inspired by Maria from Metropolis:

maria-large.jpg

metropolis.jpg

metropolis-helm.jpg

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
One of the worst games I've ever installed on a PC.
The game focuses on the shittiest aspects of Bioware action games, and executes it poorly as hell.

Gelbvieh

Educated
Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera
You can turn the chick in the blue dress into a sex slave (or rather she turns out to already be one). Sadly though, can only use her at predetermined junctions. Boo!

What's the word for Frenchified English? There's a fair bit of that, anyway, or just bad translation/writing. I wonder if in French it's like playing Gothic in German, less bathos and more burly beauty.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
The game becomes completely shit towards the end. Copious amounts of tedious combat, the story goes lame and they setup the next episode/DLC.

It had a spark of potential, but it failed miserably. What a shame.

logrus

Augur
Project: Eternity
Bought this because, well I was sooo hungry for a sci-fi RPG. I didn’t have much expectations, but at least I hope for a little entertainment but after finishing the work camp escape and a little bit of the first “city” it’s quite a disappointment for me. I’ll play more, maybe-maybe the game becomes better later on.

First – location, it has “Mars” in the title but I do not see Mars at all in the game. All I see looks like some slums/squat in desert area with some generic “cave” and “industrial interior” thrown into the mix every now and then. But maybe that’s me. When I see “sci-fi” and “Mars” setting I instantly compare shit to Kim Stanley Robinson’s “Mars” trilogy, maaan – that would be an awesome setting for RPG! That’s rich environment, in comparison M:WL setting is in a way “post-apocalyptic” so it should explain lack of interesting technical stuff, advanced weaponry, etc but I feel disappointed anyway by blandness of the environment.

Second thing – area/dungeon design, it’s plain fucking terrible. Layout is dull, I do not understand why every 30 seconds you have to go through the doors with stupid door opening animation, jump over the gate (with stupid jumping animation) or climb up the rock step (yes, you’ve guessed – with stupid climbing animation). The only purpose I see is artificially lengthen the travelling time so you don’t see how small the levels are. Levels are linear, it feels like running through a corridor with a combat every 153 meters.
Every now and then you have some branch, and for “exploring” off-track there is always an reward, oh-wow “secret” stash of junk. “Secrets”, well after 10 minutes of game you know where to expect them – see a 4 boxes in the corner – it’s guaranteed that behind them is the 5th one with junk used in crafting. So, yeah. The levels are so generic, bland and predictable that Mass Effect ones shine as a pinnacle of game design.

You have 3 different “trees”: direct combat skills (“fighter”), sneak/tricks (“rogue”) and technomancer – aoe/cc/buffs (“wizard”). At first it looks like a lot of skills, each with 3 levels. Skills are grouped in “rings” – you have to invest enough points in the “ring” to start investing in higher one, also skills are connected in “lines” orthogonally – you cannot invest 3 points in the skill in higher ring unless you also put 3 points in the skill line in lower ring.
It first it looked like you have to make choices while you shape your dude, but I’ve leveled up very fast (12 levels in one session - few hours) so it may be the case that you train majority of skills in the long run anyway – depends on the the game length.
IMHO some skills are broken. Stealth is a joke in so many ways… Useless wast of skill points – gives nearly zero combat benefits, looks artificial, buggy – very often your dude is sneaking in full light before the eyes of enemy and zero reaction, sneaking behind – instant detection, WTF?. Small plus - some combat skills/tricks are fun and you have to think/know when to apply them and when they are useful. But some enemies have one viable strategy to be used to defeat them, period.

Combat feels very, very Witcher 2-like including the “roll with your dude to own them all”. Every now and then you can mix using a skill, but the majority is “roll behind the dude, strike once or twice before he turns are his goons run towards you and swarm you to death“.
Companion is useless, one good thing that when his HP falls to zero he just falls unconscious, if I were to keep the dumbfuck alive, I’d insta rage quit. And well, despite sci-fi setting 95% of combat is melee, except the “nail gun” used as a skill and technomancer powers. No rifles, lasers, plasma guns, meh.
Small incline: you HP is not bloated with level-ups so the margin for mistakes is small. If you allow yourself to be swarmed or enemies position themselves so multiple of them can shoot/electrify you => trouble. “Healing potions” do not recover your HP instantly but give a boost to HP regeneration, so no potion spamming – that’s cool. Of course you can kite enemies with rolls and wait for regeneration… Sometimes the game feels like an acrobatics simulator ;-)

Quests/plot… Well, nothing too creative – lot’s of fedex, collecting X items of some junk, etc. Some side quests give nice rewards (f.e. crafting schematis). At first it looks like there is some C&C, but I have discovered that it’s just a façade. In the starting prison you have a choice to try to save two more dudes but after you start the escape phase they die in stupid, scripted way. Well, at least I grabbed some XP for this side quest, oh-wow. Small chat with only a few NPCs, merchant, a lot of dialog options lead to the same results, no speech/diplomacy-related skills, meh. Environment interaction limited to “loot a box/stash of junk”, “click once on a shiny thing to progress quest”, meh.

Crafting – quite nice and useful. Well, in fact it looks like that you find the very basic version of weapon/armor in game and you have to enhance them to be useful. Nice choices here, you have to decide if you want more survivability or a lot of crits. Crafting ammo and consumables is also useful.

My recommendation: do not buy it now, maybe it’s worth $5 with all the future DLCs in a future Steam sales. Only if simplified Witcher 2 in pseudo sci-fi setting looking like a corridor version of Megaton from Fallout 3 (painted red, orange and brown) does not make you puke. It feels like an console action game with a few RPG elements, definitely not a Codex stuff.

EDIT: At least the UI is really good, not a trace of console-like endless scrolling. The character page where you select skills is cool, selecting skills/powers/tricks in combat very smooth.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
When I see “sci-fi” and “Mars” setting I instantly compare shit to Kim Stanley Robinson’s “Mars” trilogy, maaan – that would be an awesome setting for RPG!

For a Bioware game. All those emotions and relationships. Gahd those books were so fucking frustrating, doubly so because underneath all the soap they were actually brilliant and they made me finish all those 1500 pages against my will.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
For a Bioware game. All those emotions and relationships. Gahd those books were so fucking frustrating, doubly so because underneath all the soap they were actually brilliant and they made me finish all those 1500 pages against my will.
The Mars Trilogy or How To Fail At Psych Evaluation Of Your Prospective Mars Settlers

logrus

Augur
Project: Eternity
When I see “sci-fi” and “Mars” setting I instantly compare shit to Kim Stanley Robinson’s “Mars” trilogy, maaan – that would be an awesome setting for RPG!

Well, it could also be an Obsidan game. If the factions were handled in the F:NV way, it would be definitely interesting. Pretty nice options for some world-influencing C&C too - if your support can strengthen particular faction then terraforming (or not terraforming) goes in a way preferred by that faction... Well, in such case the Dragon Age 2 trick with the story covering long period could work (and the lore already supports long life of humans). That could be nice, you make a decision and after 50 years whole planet is more green, more blue or stays red. Of course the story goes in different direction in every such case. I also see at least three ready scenarios for “strongholds”. If you think about it, there is enough depth in the trilogy to build Torment-like experience basing on the topics covered in the books. All that with tactical turn-based combat with loads of sci-fi gadgets. One can only dream about such cRPG :(
And well, "emotions and relationships" - didn't have that aspect of the books in mind, but well the Biodrones could get their "emotional engagement" in romances too ;)

Multi-headed Cow

Finished the game. TLDR summary is not good.

The prison is easily the best part of the game. They probably should've just focused on making the prison more detailed and the whole story being "ESCAPE FROM PRISON", 'cause what they end up going for seems like it was a bit beyond their funding.
Even though I liked the actiony combat it never really evolves beyond the same few enemy types. Doesn't even really mix up their numbers or positions much either, each encounter is largely the same.
C&C is a whole lotta nothing. There's one point where you can branch in two directions, but the two directions go to the same location anyway. At best you'll get a bit of monolog about your completed quests at the end of a chapter.
Story's a whole lotta nothing. Setting seemed kinda fun but they don't do much with it.
The writing and voice acting gets sketchier the deeper you get. Kinda think they would've been better served either dropping voice acted dialog entirely, or maybe don't voice the PC so you can spend some of that saved money expanding the NPC dialog, or something.

I don't feel completely awful about buying it for $16 but that's more than I'd recommend anyone spend on it. If you're interested, $10 at the most and $5 preferably.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
C&C is a whole lotta nothing. There's one point where you can branch in two directions, but the two directions go to the same location anyway. At best you'll get a bit of monolog about your completed quests at the end of a chapter.

Somewhat like in the Witcher 2.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Witcher 2 wasn't the best game ever but this is simply beyond even hyperbole.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik

Witcher 2 wasn't the best game ever but this is simply beyond even hyperbole.

Are you sure or just touchy?

I agree that the comparison is exaggerated, but technically it is correct. I would not be surprise if the devs actually got inspiration from TW2.

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
I got a free copy for review about a month ago but never got to playing this game. It's the Bethesda RPG sort of thing where they stick numbers on basic action game abilities, except also you can't actually aim directly at somebody, just press "attack" or "fire nailgun" or "launch lightning bolt" and you'll attack whatever person you're locked onto. Then you dodge roll everywhere because for some reason you can't run during combat.

Stealth is just a binary, radial thing. If you crouch, people won't see you unless they come within a certain distance of you. It's not even useful, though, because nearly every single environment is a long corridor wherein you'll end up having to beat up everybody anyway.

The voice acting is also hilarious.

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Also, there is a quest about finding a killer/rapist, and after you find one of his victims a nurse at the scene says the corpse shows signs of the date rape drug, and you can actually ask her what a date rape drug is. Other characters are actually shocked to learn that date rape drugs exist.

Stakhanov

Augur
Also, there is a quest about finding a killer/rapist, and after you find one of his victims a nurse at the scene says the corpse shows signs of the date rape drug, and you can actually ask her what a date rape drug is. Other characters are actually shocked to learn that date rape drugs exist.

"So you drink it and before you know it....you're fucked". Hurhurhur :yeah:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
How topical!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom