Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Marathoning Might and Magic games

Cael

Arcane
Right, I think its set up. Any party recommendations?
I recall going with Ninja, Archer, Paladin, Cleric, Wizard. I can't remember the last one. Maybe Ranger. I distinctly recall all of them can use magic or had at least two gimmicks. No straight fighter types.

v1rus

Arcane
I dont care what anybody says, HoMM4 is a good game.
I just saw this.

Isn't HoMM4 the one with the 6 different campaigns with 6 different stories, one for each colour? What was so bad about that one?

For some reason, fans of the series seem to hate it with passion. I guess its a case of "They changed it, now it sucks". I fucking loved both III and IV when I was I younger.

Right, I think its set up. Any party recommendations?
I recall going with Ninja, Archer, Paladin, Cleric, Wizard. I can't remember the last one. Maybe Ranger. I distinctly recall all of them can use magic or had at least two gimmicks. No straight fighter types.

Think you might have mixed up games. No Ninjas or Rangers in the I game.

Anyhoo, all set up. Didnt realize there are only 6 classes and 6 slots. Wasnt so hard.

MM.png

i0sJHm

i0sJHm

Cael

Arcane
Think you might have mixed up games. No Ninjas or Rangers in the I game.

Anyhoo, all set up. Didnt realize there are only 6 classes and 6 slots. Wasnt so hard.

MM.png

i0sJHm

i0sJHm
Might have been the 2nd one, then. They added quite a number of classes there, I think.

v1rus

Arcane
Might have been the 2nd one, then. They added quite a number of classes there, I think.

Darnit. Seems like I'm gonna be missing sum class fun since Im gonna transfer the save. Always liked weird class combinations. If i remember correctly, my first MM7 ran had a druid, archer, ranger and a monk. All of 'em, except for the human monk, were elves. Good times.

Cael

Arcane

Darnit. Seems like I'm gonna be missing sum class fun since Im gonna transfer the save. Always liked weird class combinations. If i remember correctly, my first MM7 ran had a druid, archer, ranger and a monk. All of 'em, except for the human monk, were elves. Good times.
It gets worse. They added Ninja and Barbarian in 2, and in 3... https://lparchive.org/Might-Magic-III-Isles-of-Terra/charstats.png

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Darnit. Seems like I'm gonna be missing sum class fun since Im gonna transfer the save.
They added 2 new classes to MM2, and conveniently 2 new hireling slots. And there are more than one hireling for each class, including the 2 new ones.

v1rus

Arcane
After two glorious failures, where i didnt last more than an hour, Im here for the third try. Third times the charm, Im sure.

I gave it a try with "Where are we" this time, and boy, that one sure does help the overall experience. What are the vets opinions tho, how much of the charm does it take away?

I mean, automap sure as fuck is useful, but the ability to have all useful menus at once on the screen REALLY fucking helps imho.

newtmonkey

Arcane
If you want to maintain as much of the "charm" as possible while still making the game more comfortable to play, you might consider turning the automap off and just leaving the status box open.

IMO the automap function provides a little TOO much information, though I am pretty certain there is a setting that minimizes what information is drawn on each square. The overworld maps are fun, though, because they are scaled to fit images captured from the actual map that came with the game; it's really amazing to see how closely the actual game matches the map poster.

Having said that, I feel that even M&M 1 and 2 can be fun if played with automapping as the mapping itself is only a part of what makes the games interesting and fun. There are a lot more puzzles and other things to figure out in M&M 1/2 compared with, say, Wizardry 1-3. Unless you really love drawing your own maps, you're better off playing with automap and actually getting somewhere in the game, rather than trying to play the game "like it should be played" and never getting anywhere.

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
So, you started marathoning the M&M games 4 years ago, yet haven't even begun M&M1 yet? Interesting strategy.

Lacrymas

Arcane
If you are new to blobbers, I suggest starting with X actually. Then 3.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
IMO the automap function provides a little TOO much information, though I am pretty certain there is a setting that minimizes what information is drawn on each square.
This is the reason I didn't use it. If there is such a setting, I didn't find it.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Ive already played 7 and 8, more than a couple of times. Which ones would you consider good?

If you like 7 and 8 I'd just play 6 and then X probably, but if you want one of the more old school ones I'd play World of Xeen. Any further back is too far for me personally, but I'm sure it depends on when you started gaming and how much tolerance you have for shitty UIs and lack of features.

Lacrymas

Arcane
My first serious foray into blobbers was with X, then I went through 3 no problem.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Ive already played 7 and 8, more than a couple of times. Which ones would you consider good?

If you like 7 and 8 I'd just play 6 and then X probably, but if you want one of the more old school ones I'd play World of Xeen. Any further back is too far for me personally, but I'm sure it depends on when you started gaming and how much tolerance you have for shitty UIs and lack of features.
Really, Xeen, not 3? I don't really remember much difference in UI and features, but then, I started with 3 and moved on to 4/5 and lost interest shortly after. I can absolutely understand 1&2, since those have confusing controls and some bad CGA/EGA graphics.

Butter

Arcane
Patron

Really, Xeen, not 3? I don't really remember much difference in UI and features, but then, I started with 3 and moved on to 4/5 and lost interest shortly after. I can absolutely understand 1&2, since those have confusing controls and some bad CGA/EGA graphics.
Xeen has some QoL improvements over 3, e.g. quest items don't take up inventory space, auto-notes, you can see your facing direction on the map, there's a bank in every city.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom