Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Manor Lords - medieval city-building with large scale battles

SlamDunk

Arcane
Praise from Warhorse Studios cofounder and creative director.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
the two adjacent regions are entirely separate entities, they don't communicate in any way. if you want to move people you can't, and the game actually crashes too. if you want to move goods, you MUST take some other back, rather hard with a just founded new city, rather pointless once the new city can stand on its own. also economies are separate, you can't buy stuff with money earned elsewhere. but, just you wait, now i remember you actually have your own money! you ca- no, you can't spend your own fucking money on whatever you like, that's just for mercenaries, a city won't pay mercenaries to defend itself, you have to tax the city first, piss off its citizens and then only with the money coming from skimming off you can pay mercs.
It feels weird thematically to have 2 cities on top of that (I mean, it's feudal times, right? so you should have a vassal handling whatever expand your get).
However, not being allowed to move people is kind of thematic. :D
A serf is assigned to the land, and cannot be solde separately!

It does brilliantly what so many have fatally failed at before
Like?
Getting the Steam hype machine in overdrive.

Kruyurk

Learned
I still don't see what all the hype and praise is about.
My hypothesis is that it is the same thing that happened with Star Citizen at the beginning. Both games have high visual fidelity, realistic graphics and a simulationist approach in gameplay, so people assume that it will be an alternate reality where everything will be possible (consciously or unconsciously). Chris Roberts exploited this by promising that indeed everything will be possible, with enough time and money.

Of course, I am in no way saying that Manor Lords tries to scam people, but I think the same phenomenon explains the hype for both games.

Also, both games tap into common kids' interests: spaceships and knights/castles. These are common themes in Lego or Playmobil sets, for example. People do not really lose that interest with age.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
I can only see this going two ways: The dev starts really cranking out updates consistently or goes silent and the development starts petering out.

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
I still don't see what all the hype and praise is about.
It's about idea. Idea of fully fleshed out 3D Medieval Lord city builder + pinch of Total War + simulation of medieval life. Medieval Caesar in beautiful graphics and with nice art style/production values. And momentum. After 1 million wishlists, getting to 3 million is akin to snowballing. More and more people know of you and faster and faster do they spread the good News. Also competition is slim. Again, talking about production values and graphical vibe married with promise of future mechanical depth. Try to look at things from wider perspective then your own personal amusement or displeasure

TLDR: This is city builder with nice tits and ass. In time where most tits and ass are ugly or cut off because of WOKE cancer. Why someone with nice tits & ass is popular with audience starving for nice tits and ass? Mystery :)

Kruyurk
explains the magic behind hype for Manor Lords very well

Zariusz

Arbiter
I think allure of this being a one man project (or at least starting as such, dont know if it would be accurate to call this game like that now) also helps with popularity of this game, its always nice to hear about a project that seems to appear from nowhere, is leaded by few or oven only one crazy dev, was apparently worked on for years in silence and it looks like a gauntlet thrown towards the stagnating, diminished or even barely existing mainstream.
This combined with such an widely appealing premise like building and ruling a medieval town, naturally makes the story write itself.
And with the hype gradualy making people expect some next indie masterpiece made by an autistic one man army, regardless if the game actually is as ambitious as people want it to be, its going to be popular for at least some time. Though even with all of that, Manor Lords popularity is astounishing to me, yeah medieval games have wide appeal and i think the combat part reminded many of historical Total Wars, this combined with void and general decline of CA surelly created some interest in that numerous audience in regards of this game but i never expected that this game would end so large.

Also this game artstyle literally looks like Kingdom Come transformed into a strategy game, you cant tell me that this doesnt create some positive associations.

after the manure lords debacle, disappointment was so great i found the strength to try "farthest frontier". at least there's a game there, a completely boring and unrealistic game, but that's something.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
It's about idea. Idea of fully fleshed out 3D Medieval Lord city builder + pinch of Total War + simulation of medieval life.
I understand, but all of this has been done in the past in various games. Maybe it's just the current generation rediscovering the wheel.

spectre

Arcane
A lot of people are simply waiting for something nebulous like "total war but not fug'd", "stronghold but with a bit more depth", "settlers but not pozzed", etc. and manor lords promises that it could be any of that.
Making such promises can get you quite far these days, but just looking at the current build, the game is quite forgiving and flexible, so everyone gets to play it the way they want.
A lot of people just want an interactive wallpaper, watching shit grow and little dudes going about their business, and aren't really interesting in going full autismo and counting how many bones you need to harvest
from an animal carcass to replenish your arrow supply after going for a hunt. I think the game has that sweet spot, though we may yet see it going in all sorts of places.

Also this game artstyle literally looks like Kingdom Come transformed into a strategy game, you cant tell me that this doesnt create some positive associations.
Probably secondary to the graphics, but let me say that the game has really relaxing music and sound design.
I also quite like the interface. It doesn't shit out unnecessary information, yet everything is there when you need it.
Unfortunately, the tutorials suck ass and I've only really learned the majority of mechanics on youtube and steam forums.

It doesn't shit out unnecessary information, yet everything is there when you need it.
i dare you to tell me the production of a single household. i double dare you. and how impossibly aggravating is that every time you unpause the game restarts at slowest speed? no, interface is absolute shit.

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
It's two weeks in Early Access and among first things to be focused on and improved according to Slavic Magic. Your hyperbole is shit. Game is not for you, move on. 99% of games are not for me and you. This one ain't for you and is for me. Check out game in 6 months or 1 year, maybe then it will be more to your liking. Shit is incredibly simple

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
There are so many good games to play. Good games are plenty, time is lacking. Most people here, half-including me are addicts to adding yet another perfect™ to their liking game to endless ToPlay list of games and enjoy more that list growing then playing games of that list. When some game falls short from qualifying to that list, you and me get all baboony butthurt and upset. It's fucking retarded. Manor Lords UI looks fine and functionally will be improved

BrainMuncher

Novice
There are so many good games to play. Good games are plenty, time is lacking. Most people here, half-including me are addicts to adding yet another perfect™ to their liking game to endless ToPlay list of games and enjoy more that list growing then playing games of that list. When some game falls short from qualifying to that list, you and me get all baboony butthurt and upset. It's fucking retarded. Manor Lords UI looks fine and functionally will be improved
If you think getting buttrurt about a shitty product you paid for is bad, wait till you get so butthurt about a forum post about a product that you start double posting

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Nah, it's just that Manor Lords is for many people's subjective perception of objectively more then worthy of 30$. And amount of content will only grow. If you should feel bad because you've wasted 30$ on game, you're objectively poor. I pirated Manor Lords because right now I'm poor. I ain't got enough money for doctor, food and games. But-t-t I ain't begging on street thus I ain't poor. No, I'm poor. Focusing on lvling up in RealLife, games like Manor Lords are bonus to my life

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
When someone says that Manor Lord's UI is ABSOLUTE DOGSHIT, weew! lad, we have left the realm of mutually perceived reality

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Most of expectations and butthurt towards Manor Lords comes from: "This one Dude became millioner and his game sold better then all these other games I like and love. If it ain't PERFECT™ I'm gonna shit on it so hard. Don't give a fuck it's in Early Access. I hate Early Access. How are indie Devs supposed to make their first games without early cash injection with Early Access? I don't give a fuck. Yes, all my favourite games from last 10 years were in Early Access. No, I'm not looking for discussion, I'm looking for opportunity to shit on something/someone"

Been there, done that. Keep shitting on Manor Lords, it's your God given right. Just can you do so in my fields, I wanna increase my yield for cabbage. Wanna make and feed my peasants with sarma. Donald Trump among Medieval Feudal Lords

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
[4th post in row and last in month of May about Manor Lords]: SlavicMagic Dev has vowed to work hard on Game, likes complex systems, is good programmer, politically based and has very nice talent for design. Next month we'll receive Road Map. I firmly believe success of this game and its publisher is good for gaming. Manor Lords by November/December will be much better game

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom