Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Making great games: Bethesda's trade-secrets revealed!

obediah

Erudite
Gwendo said:
Drakron said:
Click my link and all shall be revealed (well sort off ...)

Edit: Here's the real deal:
Karen_Danny.jpg

ick. shouldn't Todd be all pissed off about here having her arm around that fat asian dude?

Twinfalls

Erudite
That interview has confirmed that Todd Howard is the world's biggest little retard.

Gavin's mysterious role there has become apparent: getting on all fours and taking notes while Todd plays the game and spews out 'TOO MANY WORDS DUDES!' with his feet propped up on the kathode-man's back.

GhanBuriGhan

Erudite
Whatever one may think of Todd, this thread isn't exactly an example of intelligence, attitude, and wit, either.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
I don't care for Bethesda or the ES series; but you guys are even bigger idiotic morons than they are. Not to mention pathetic.

R00fles!

Drakron

Arcane
GhanBuriGhan said:
Whatever one may think of Todd, this thread isn't exactly an example of intelligence, attitude, and wit, either.

We dont give a fuck.

Sure its shock because we can get away with it and as much as developers say about RPGCodex being a horrible place they would love to get theis site seal of aproval ... we are pretty much HARDCORE as anyone can get.

Todd interview shows him like a idiot to us, I mean who the FUCK says says a fucking video game is more important that their wife?

He FULLY deserves my little Mail Order Bride link since only one sould be forced to put up with that with fear of deportation and not knowing the language to secure her rights.

LlamaGod

Cipher
Keeping with transformers that shoot fire, are covered in LEDs and probably got a 'talkie' button, I think his version of chess would be something like:

-Bishops were too difficult to implement, removed.
-Knights not used often enough by our fanbase, removed.
-Players didnt feel that Kings were superior to Queens, replaced King with a second Queen.
-Goal of the game is to now take out all pieces.
-All pawns replaced with Rooks, they were just mini-versions anyways. This will be more exciting!

YourConscience

Scholar
@Llama:

To continue with your Todd's chess version:
- whenever one of your pieces fights with that of an enemy, it is leveled up to be of equal strength (I mean, comon, everyone is equal nowadays)
- should one of your pieces get lost on the huge chessboard, it has instant-travel to everywhere - but there is a catch - no recall!
- the chess-board is interactive - it tells you which piece to of the enemy to beat next. Should you still take another one - it will restore the state of the game before you attempted a foolish thing as this
- the chessboard is so beautifully done, with grass swaying, trees all over the place etc. that you barely can see your pieces
- the chess-board has an included tutorial and manual - where especially the latter is completely without words - innovative!!!

Rhombus

Liturgist
This still all on that 2x2 board right?.. I mean we woulnd't want to give players too many choices?

YourConscience

Scholar
@Rhombus:

Well, yes, on a 2x2 (real) board, but on a 8ix8i board (i=imaginary number) to include the imaginary oblivion plane, you know? It's all about greatness and vastness of the world!

:D

Hazelnut

Erudite
GhanBuriGhan said:

I think some of the chess analogies have been pretty witty myself. :D

But, if you're referring to the more personal attacks, then yeah - I agree. I hate the way he's affected Bethseda's game making, and that he doesn't seem to know what RPG's are actually about, but I don't harbour any personal feelings against either him or his wife that I feel the need to spill out onto the internet. I know many good & nice people who suck at their jobs, and have no clue that this is the case - it's not exactly an uncommon phenomenon in life is it? :?

Remember that everyone gets promoted to their level of incompetance, as the saying goes. :lol:

Cimmerian Nights

Liturgist
About WWII:
"The unnamed soldiers who stormed the beaches of Normandy. Or the ones who parachuted in early. I find D-Day to be an event that I still can’t really comprehend the enormity of."
WTF is an unnamed soldier, did they not have parents? And 101st Airborne landed right on time dipshit, if anything they were late because many over shot the LZs. But I suppose you`d have to read to learn that huh?

Hazelnut

Erudite
Cimmerian Nights said:
About WWII:
"The unnamed soldiers who stormed the beaches of Normandy. Or the ones who parachuted in early. I find D-Day to be an event that I still can’t really comprehend the enormity of."
WTF is an unnamed soldier, did they not have parents? And 101st Airborne landed right on time dipshit, if anything they were late because many over shot the LZs. But I suppose you`d have to read to learn that huh?

Oh come on, I can hardly believe I'm defending Todd for fucks sake, but you're really clutching at straws here. He means the ones who parachuted in before the attacks started i.e. early. That's pretty fucking brave - to jump behind enemy lines before an attack starts. (even if it's scheduled to start soon)

There's plenty of idiotic Todd-isms to poke fun at without having a go at him admiring people who deserve admiration and respect! I agree with his sentiments 100%, even if they're not stated in the most elequent fashion. (I will admit I've no fricken idea what the "unnamed soldiers" bit is all about - probably confused it with "unknown soldier")

EDIT: Oh, and choose another avatar - that's Rhombus's :P (Personal pet peeve is two people using same avatar)

Cimmerian Nights

Liturgist
I`m well aware of what they did - I read their book. Every American I know with a set of testicles has read this book. How can you possibly respect and admire someone if your knowledge of them only consists of the first five minutes of a Speilberg movie? Normandy was nothing comapred to what they went through at Bastogne. How bout honroning them by knowing what the fuck you`re talking about.

Yeah I noticed Rhombus` avatar, just been dragging my feet on that.

aries202

Erudite
HI :)

I'm more baffled and surprised more now than ever - that Mr. Howard has been promoted to
leader of a company lilke Bethsoft. (isn't he director of marketing or some such ? - he was (and is) exucutive producer in OB*s case)

As I recall, I've have read that Todd Howard started out as normal employee of Bethsoft's back in the 1990's. And I'm sure he was good at his job -
but just because people are good at what they do
don't mean that they are going to be good (or great) leaders - necessarily.

Also, it bothers me a bit than he admits that he doesn't read so much - and that he also admits (kind of) that he (kind of) has a short attention span.

The point being is that this quote "great games are played, not made" is one I would expect from
an employee (dev. or otherwise) - not an excutive person whose job iit is too oversee that the game i.e. OB, is made a great game.

I can, oc course, understand that playing games is fun, but I also understands that as an exec your job is different than that your employees. (or co-workers).

From what I understand of this portrait of Todd, he isn't a very booky type of person. And this is OK. We don't all have to be the same ---

Also, from what I understand of mr. Howard's gaming preference he enjoys playing games on the xbox (360). Nothing wrong with that either. But again, as an exec, his job is to make sure that
both PC and xbox 360 versions of any bethsoft game are catered for and to.

And maybe that he likes EA sports --- should tell you something too...

aries202

Proweler

Scholar
I'm not supriced to find this on the RPGcodex. :)

Bah, it's comming from the guy to whom fantasy is "riding a horse killing things" then makes a game in which you can ride a horse and kill things, but not do both.

psycojester

Arbiter
Bugger, how could we forget that one.

The knight wouldn't be removed from Todd's chess. Mounts are cool, any game without mounts is shit. However the knight wouldn't be able to attack any other peices, can't have mounted characters doing that

Relien

Scholar
Also, every turn you must use all types of your pieces:

- attack with one of your queens (it's always possible thanks to the fast travel)
- attack with one of your rooks
- move your knight
- perform a castling with your other queen - that is, swap the queen with any other piece (yours or your opponent's) anywhere on the board

The overall standing of a skilled player should raise a bit after performing all of these actions.

LlamaGod

Cipher
Cimmerian Nights said:
About WWII:

The impression I got from this comment is that Todd plays Call of Duty too much.

All-in-all Todd describes himself as a mainstream gamer retard type, usually the types of people were are 'working against' I guess. Except Todd runs his own company.

The knight wouldn't be removed from Todd's chess. Mounts are cool, any game without mounts is shit. However the knight wouldn't be able to attack any other peices, can't have mounted characters doing that

Nicely done. I went with removing them because I figured they'd be a 'wtf? how r u supost 2 remember hwo they move' idea.

psycojester

Arbiter
Well of course we'd have to simplify the movement LlamaGod, complex ideas hurt the head and don't make for fun gameplay

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom