Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Making a Final Fantasy style Flash game, want opinions.

rpgcurious

Literate
Hello new here ^_^.
Trying to decide on some things for a game I am making, and to talk about RPG theory in general.

* Many RPG's have "Crits" where you usually have min damage, max damage, and some % chance to deal critical damage.
Is this important? Would you think more, or less of a game if it had crits? What is the real purpose of crits, and why do so many games use this system? Are crits a gimmick?

* I also notice a lot of RPG's these days have a great amount of story before you actually get to go out and do stuff, this is a bit annoying to me personally, but maybe most RPG gamers prefer this? I like a quick intro to tell me where I am, what I am doing, why I care, a little bit of dialog, then do some stuff, and then a little more dialog. etc. etc.
How do most RPG gamers prefer this pacing to be? What % do you want these to be? 20% story 80% action? 50% story, 50 % action?

* For a Final Fantasy style game do you prefer old school turn based combat where you select all actions for your characters, and then initiate the combat (Final Fantasy 1 style)
OR
Do you want an active ''action'' bar where stamina refills, and when it gets to the top you can select an action for that character, and he attacks as soon as you select target ( Final Fantasy 7 style)

* in a Final Fantasy style game are new battle mechanics welcome? For example AOE spells ( as apposed to single or all target) or your character does not jump back to his starting position but stays close to the enemy after he runs up to attack. Or do you prefer a might and magic style battlefield?

I guess that is all for now, will think of more questions later :).

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Oh dear.

Hello new here ^_^.
Trying to decide on some things for a game I am making, and to talk about RPG theory in general.

* Many RPG's have "Crits" where you usually have min damage, max damage, and some % chance to deal critical damage.
Is this important? Would you think more, or less of a game if it had crits? What is the real purpose of crits, and why do so many games use this system? Are crits a gimmick?

Why are you designing an RPG if you don't even understand the basics about RPG design? Okay, the point of crits is to add RNG. Uncertainty. That's about it.

* I also notice a lot of RPG's these days have a great amount of story before you actually get to go out and do stuff, this is a bit annoying to me personally, but maybe most RPG gamers prefer this? I like a quick intro to tell me where I am, what I am doing, why I care, a little bit of dialog, then do some stuff, and then a little more dialog. etc. etc.
How do most RPG gamers prefer this pacing to be? What % do you want these to be? 20% story 80% action? 50% story, 50 % action?

Most mainstream RPG players aren't even really RPG fans imo. People who only play the latest TES, ME, DA or whatever, these people aren't "real" RPG fans. They are casual consumers who just want an exciting and visceral plot. People who are more heavily into RPGs are a bit more divided. Some want more story heavy games, some people don't care for any story at all and think that it only serves as an excuse to go out and kill monsters and adventure.

So you gotta ask: which niche of RPG fans do you wanna cater to? I'd just go with whatever I like.

* For a Final Fantasy style game do you prefer old school turn based combat where you select all actions for your characters, and then initiate the combat (Final Fantasy 1 style)
OR
Do you want an active ''action'' bar where stamina refills, and when it gets to the top you can select an action for that character, and he attacks as soon as you select target ( Final Fantasy 7 style)

Both are good but it requires good execution. In general I'd prefer turn based combat, but I thought that the combat in FF12 was quite good because of how intense some of the encounter design was. Beating Gilgamesh while being quite a fair bit underleveled was really fun. As long as you are able to plan and design great encounters when I'm sure most people will be happy enough with either system.

* in a Final Fantasy style game are new battle mechanics welcome? For example AOE spells ( as apposed to single or all target) or your character does not jump back to his starting position but stays close to the enemy after he runs up to attack. Or do you prefer a might and magic style battlefield?.

AoE spells would work better if you wanna work with a field map with moving enemies ala HoMM (I'm assuming you mean Heroes of Might & Magic instead of Might & Magic). For combat where there is no movement I'd just go with Target All Enemies spells.

Last edited:

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
- Crits are really good cause when you get them it feels great to have the big number. Game should just have crits all the time so every hit feels exciting, don't understand why no one does this it seems obvious LOL.

- RPGs should be mostly story cause that is what it is all about, a good story except one character is the player, so you can be a super cool character in an amazing story.

- Combat is best in skyrim (or oblivion if old school), there's no need for that dumb board game shit anymore as it isn't hard to create deep and realistic real time like bethesda does.

Game sounds cool good luck ^_^ Be sure to use kickstarter and patreon and let me know when you start them XD .

m_s0

Arcane
- Combat is best in skyrim (or oblivion if old school), there's no need for that dumb board game shit anymore as it isn't hard to create deep and realistic real time like bethesda does.
Don't forget visceral.

rpgcurious

Literate
Ok thanks for your replies
AoE spells would work better if you wanna work with a field map with moving enemies ala HoMM (I'm assuming you mean Heroes of Might & Magic instead of Might & Magic). For combat where there is no movement I'd just go with Target All Enemies spells.
Yes, Heroes of Might & Magic, good call ^^

Combat is best in skyrim (or oblivion if old school), there's no need for that dumb board game shit anymore as it isn't hard to create deep and realistic real time like bethesda does.
Well real time is a bit different than stamina regen FF7 style, if it was 100% real time with no AP or stamina regen it would be very chaotic if you are controlling 4 characters, each with different spells, and abilities to choose from. It would almost be like a fast paced RTS game, almost too stressful for an RPG game. So I will go with FF7 style turn system.

I will add a crit system where crits actually mean something, I hate these games where ''You critically hit enemy for 2 points of damage."" Ohhh wow really? I critically grazed his shoulder with the pommel of my sword? He will think twice before messing with me again.

I will let you guys know when I have playable version. Right now I have a basic combat system, a weapon crafting system ( where you select blade, hilt, handle, pommel, what materials the weapon is made out of etc.)
and a couple of areas, with NPCs that walk around randomly. I am also planning a multiclass system, and a ''skill rune'' system that can add effects to your spells / abilities.

Here are some other questions.

Right now I have it planned out so you start with approx 100 Health ( depending on what class / multiclass you have for each character) and end up with about 1000 Health at max level ( which right now is planned for 50) But you also get buffs, etc.

Is this enough of a curve for people? Or do you prefer the classic: start with 20 health, and at max level end up with 9999 health :P

rpgcurious

Literate
OH, I also need help figuring out a name for my game ^_^.

Here is what I have so far, if someone wants to suggest some other names? or if these were a link to a game which would you be most likely to click on?

Final divinity
Final guardians
Divine Fantasy
Guardian Fantasy
Final Prayer
Divine Watch
Keepers of Faith
Final keepers
Final Faith
Guardians of Faith
Final Sacrifice.
Final Guardian
Guardians sacrifice
Guardian Quest.
Divine Quest
Faith Quest.
Holy Guardians.
Guardians of Purity
Final sanctity
Sanctified Guardian
Divine Sanctity
Consecrated guardian
Final Consecration
Blessed Guardian
Exaulted Consecration
Exaulted Messiah.
Messianic Guardian.
Final Messenger.
The Sanctification
The Consecration
The Guardians.
Sacred Light
Secred Messiah
Sacred Guardian
Keepers of the sacred
keepers of light.
Consecrated Warriors
Light be with us.
Blade of Faith
Guiding Light
Guided Warrior

Sanctum of Light
Final Sanctum
Final Sanctuary
Divine Sanctum
Guardians Sanctum
Lightbearers Sanctum
Ultimate Sanctum
Supreme Sanctum
exhaulted

rpgcurious

Literate
Move your thread to Codex Workshop, idiot.
I put it in general discussion, admin put it in weaboo, no reason to spit insults.

Last edited:

zwanzig_zwoelf

Genericalia, Unoriginalia, Legacy of Generic, Genericforge, Bravely Generic.

rpgcurious

Literate
Generic? you know nothing fool, about me, or about my game, whats with the blind insults?
Stop trolling my thread, and get a life, I'm not even going to waste words explaining to you how my game is not generic or cookie cutout.

Edit: Diversity of Warriors' is cute but, no :P

zwanzig_zwoelf

Generic? you know nothing fool, about me, or about my game, whats with the blind insults?
Stop trolling my thread, and get a life, I'm not even going to waste words explaining to you how my game is not generic or cookie cutout.

What is an RPG?

made

Arcane

Here is what I have so far, if someone wants to suggest some other names? or if these were a link to a game which would you be most likely to click on?

Final divinity
Final guardians
Divine Fantasy
Guardian Fantasy
Final Prayer
Divine Watch
Keepers of Faith
Final keepers
Final Faith
Guardians of Faith
Final Sacrifice.
Final Guardian
Guardians sacrifice
Guardian Quest.
Divine Quest
Faith Quest.
Holy Guardians.
Guardians of Purity
Final sanctity
Sanctified Guardian
Divine Sanctity
Consecrated guardian
Final Consecration
Blessed Guardian
Exaulted Consecration
Exaulted Messiah.
Messianic Guardian.
Final Messenger.
The Sanctification
The Consecration
The Guardians.
Sacred Light
Secred Messiah
Sacred Guardian
Keepers of the sacred
keepers of light.
Consecrated Warriors
Light be with us.
Blade of Faith
Guiding Light
Guided Warrior

Sanctum of Light
Final Sanctum
Final Sanctuary
Divine Sanctum
Guardians Sanctum
Lightbearers Sanctum
Ultimate Sanctum
Supreme Sanctum
exhaulted
I would click on Rise of Exaulted Messiah: Ascension.

zwanzig_zwoelf

That we know nothing about you or your game is on you, not us. I honestly don't see how one could arrive at a different conclusion, from the information presented in this thread.
This.
Also, 'Flash' and 'Final Fantasy' are enough for some to take a huge dump on the OP and the thread.

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer

I would definitely go with this one:

The Grimoire of the Final Divinity of the Guardians: Divine Fantasy Prayer Watch - Keepers of the Faith, Part 1: Sacrifice Quest of Final Consecration - The Sanctification of the Heralds Exemplar

It might just be me, but I don't think you can possibly go wrong with a title like that...

mondblut

Arcane
OR

For a final fantasy style game we prefer its makers hanged, drawn and quartered. :obviously:

zwanzig_zwoelf

I would definitely go with this one:

The Grimoire of the Final Divinity of the Guardians: Divine Fantasy Prayer Watch - Keepers of the Faith, Part 1: Sacrifice Quest of Final Consecration - The Sanctification of the Heralds Exemplar

It might just be me, but I don't think you can possibly go wrong with a title like that...
You're so wrong, it's a JRPG, we need an appropriate title.

Generica: Bravely Declined Land - Tale of Fantasy Quest: Japanese Teenage Heroes with Emo Haircuts and Big Swords vs Generic Monsters - Final Boss is a Giant Cock

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer

Titles don't matter. It just needs the appropriate JRPG content, like:

* Emo dudes with big swords and low self-esteem
* Inappropriately aged girls who giggle all the time
* An incomprehensible story rail that you can't veer from
* A ton of cutscenes that constantly break the action
* Combat that can be instantly won by super-power ups
* Strange inventory items that raise you from the dead or boost penis size
* Dialogue that often results in moody "..." ellipses
* Spiky hair, no matter which direction you look
* Made up words that sound important
* And, the final boss must be the main character's hermaphrodite father's brother's uncle

As long as you've got all that, you're golden.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Titles don't matter. It just needs the appropriate JRPG content, like:

* Emo dudes with big swords and low self-esteem
* Inappropriately aged girls who giggle all the time
* An incomprehensible story rail that you can't veer from
* A ton of cutscenes that constantly break the action
* Combat that can be instantly won by super-power ups
* Strange inventory items that raise you from the dead or boost penis size
* Dialogue that often results in moody "..." ellipses
* Spiky hair, no matter which direction you look
* Made up words that sound important
* And, the final boss must be the main character's hermaphrodite father's brother's uncle

As long as you've got all that, you're golden.
Emobra Spifagga sounds like an appropriate title now.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom