Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Magna Mundi Info

ubik-magnamundi

Educated
Flying Spaghetti Monster said:
Also, this may seem odd when asking about a game that's made by someone who started as a modder... but how moddable do you intend to make the game? If this has been answered before... well, then feel free to ignore me as I rage silently.

We aim it to deliver the most moddable game done over the Clausewitz engine. At least when compared to what is released at present.

Maybe that could be the sub-title? Magna Mundi: MagnaTurd. Or maybe the title of the first expansion? Keep that in mind.

Destroid

Arcane
Here's a question - is the game going to be as 'big' as MMU on release, or will it be like Paradox games where the sequel starts small and you wait for 2-3 expansions before it reaches the size of the prior game?

ubik-magnamundi

Educated
Destroid said:
Here's a question - is the game going to be as 'big' as MMU on release, or will it be like Paradox games where the sequel starts small and you wait for 2-3 expansions before it reaches the size of the prior game?

Big as in what? The scope of Magna Mundi is the entire world... we have exclusive systems for several different parts of the world, different cultures, different religions...

Destroid

Arcane
By big I mean the quantity and size of the systems that were in place such as the HRE, reformation, factions, Barbary pirates etc.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Destroid said:
By big I mean the quantity and size of the systems that were in place such as the HRE, reformation, factions, Barbary pirates etc.

I would hope so, since the engine is the same even if not all subsystems are created in a mechanical way (ie dont have their own buttons, screens and are only decision and event based) they should all be present. Otherwise there is little sense to buy a full version smaller than the free mod.

I would also like to know if MM development team changed in any way their approach to basic game concepts. Like, for example, stability. It never made sense for me how stab hits were handled in MMU (some things that gave them shouldnt, while some that should didnt, especially HRE was full of undeserved stab hits) or how +3 stability was the default one in the game. Of course there are other concepts that would benefit from looking at (for example pirates).

ubik-magnamundi

Educated
Destroid said:

Of course, while many systems now have their own integration into the engine and new ones were coded.

ubik-magnamundi

Educated
Malakal said:
I would hope so, since the engine is the same even if not all subsystems are created in a mechanical way (ie dont have their own buttons, screens and are only decision and event based) they should all be present. Otherwise there is little sense to buy a full version smaller than the free mod.

We are ADDING lots of content, not removing it in any way.

I would also like to know if MM development team changed in any way their approach to basic game concepts.

Sure. And added many new ones. And removed others.

Like, for example, stability. It never made sense for me how stab hits were handled in MMU (some things that gave them shouldnt, while some that should didnt, especially HRE was full of undeserved stab hits)

Well, this is extremelly personal taste. I am not saying this or that event was not unbalanced, but I believe in most circunstancies the whole picture looked good.

or how +3 stability was the default one in the game.

Well, this one was more serious and has been looked at. Notice that Stability in MMP2 was much more balanced than in MMU, so you should always compare what we had in MMP2, not in MMU, wich was a simple port for HttT standards without taking care of balancing issues and done with very little resources.

Of course there are other concepts that would benefit from looking at (for example pirates).

Normal piracy system has been entirely overhauled. It's not intruding at all anymore. Expect a detailed Berber piracy as the region dynamics and piracy effects there fully demand it. The same goes for Woku Pirates.

ubik-magnamundi

Educated
Hey guys!

Just a heads up:

Gamescom Cologne went beautiful for Team Magna Mundi, lots of great contacts, lots of interest from the media and while announcing we are going to up the quality of the map graphics by coding a new renderer, something that was not considered up until now, I leave here the latest Dev Diary of Magna Mundi as well as the latest trailer of the game:

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...iary-22-Tribes-Governments-Provinces-and-More

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgPg3Wp1z_Y&playnext=1&list=PLCBEFE3B7AEE64834

CrimsonAngel

Prophet
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I still don't like some of the UI choices.
THAT'S not to say that this dose not sound awesome.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I agree with Crimson, some of the interface is nearly unreadable. I like fancy and stylized, but too much is too much...

CrimsonAngel

Prophet
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
NOW this is by no means a deal breaker for me and i still want this game day one.

I think the issue is how it kind of blend's together

ubik-magnamundi

Educated
CrimsonAngel said:
I still don't like some of the UI choices.
THAT'S not to say that this dose not sound awesome.

There are a few parts of the interface that need to change font, while for instance the tributary screens need to have a darker blue to increase contrast. But overall, it is already looking and reading without a trouble. Our betas are telling us that. Don't forget you are checking it with some loss of quality in the pictures.

ubik-magnamundi

Educated
Hey Guys!

We were in Gamescom 2011 - Cologne, one of the biggest events in the games industry and here is a sort of AAR of the event as seen from Team Magna Mundi.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Magna-Mun ... 760518844#

On further good news, we are pleased to announce that we are now starting to code a new renderer to help improve the game looks! For instance, map textures, province and country borders will look much better than now! The small delay to the project is going to serve our fans best of all!

And finally, we are now starting to think about the open beta... stay tuned!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom