Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Magna Mundi - Better grab your popcorn folks, this one will go into the DRAMA history books

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
So he MAD or not?

LizardWizard

Cipher
Ubik's design was easily the worst part of that MM mod and he was a bit wanker on the forums, sure.

Forcibly injected with antipsychotic class drugs is some fucked up shit so I hope he wins or something.

Delterius

Arcane
There's a thread about this on the EU4 forums, but I don't have access: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?814200-Ubik-officially-loses-his-mind
Apparently it's official. This post is not a joke.

According to legitimate portuguese sources (namely publico.pt, a leading portuguese newspaper , and game-specific magazine website called Bgamer.pt)

Code:
http://bgamer.sapo.pt/index.php/not...gos-portugues-internado-por-problemas-mentais

and

http://www.publico.pt/sociedade/not...ternaram-a-forca-e-o-deram-como-louco-1675130
Ubik was declared mentally insane and forcefully retained in the psychiatric wing of the Hospital Egas Moniz for 71 days, after which we was "released" and treated outside the hospital.

Apparently this story is now related to the fact that he his suing the hospital & doctors for wrongdoing and hiding the report based on which this was based for 6 months.

There were 7 different doctors confirming is mental state, which are saying Ubik is living some sort of fantasy and believes in a, and I quote, "vast conspiracy involving (Ubik's) family, public health authorities and doctors from two different Lisbon hospitals".

This is the original post. Thread was closed before reaching second page and it was mostly people being shocked and apalled.

Apologies for not translating the articles now, but I don't have the time now.

What do you say?
blink.gif

Delterius

Arcane
I think I should be going over to their family dinners, they seem to be a blast.
If I know our lusophone cousins at all, it is most likely that Ubik became a span in the works in terms of family inheritance. The most insane family stories from Portugal generally involve that sort of thing. And parental disapproval.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
"There were 7 different doctors confirming is mental state, which are saying Ubik is living some sort of fantasy and believes in a, and I quote, "vast conspiracy involving (Ubik's) family, public health authorities and doctors from two different Lisbon hospitals."

Well, this is pretty much perfectly in line with how the whole MM thing went down. Sorry kids, guy is probably just a nut.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
"There were 7 different doctors confirming is mental state, which are saying Ubik is living some sort of fantasy and believes in a, and I quote, "vast conspiracy involving (Ubik's) family, public health authorities and doctors from two different Lisbon hospitals."

Well, this is pretty much perfectly in line with how the whole MM thing went down. Sorry kids, guy is probably just a nut.

Ubik said:
Fear started to creep in...

Fear because this ragtag developer built a brand on its own and out of nothing, fear because of its networking abilities were enabling it to find and coordinate talents worldwide, fear because Universo Virtual was delivering milestone after milestone at a meagre price, fear because UV was able to raise the interest of the community while having absolutely nothing to show for almost a year, fear for the nearly unmatched popularity of the dev diaries of Magna Mundi, fear because this upstart company was in effect acting like a producer not a developer, fear for UV’s assertive behaviour when calling Paradox on past promises, fear because out of a slight intended to hurt the capabilities of the team this amateur developer was able to force Paradox hand in surrendering a better renderer, fear because in the only instance Magna Mundi was shown to the mainstream strategy press with any kind of popularity rating, it got to second place out of more than 11000 titles for a day, was in sixth place for a few more days and in fourteenth for about a week, marks that surpassed Paradox flagship titles by far (regarding that batch of previews, best result for Sengoku was 113th, best result for Crusader Kings 2 was 42nd). Fear also for the way it seemed to sense danger and tricks and other low blows. Fear for the unpredictability of its actions or way of thinking no matter the tricks employed to monitor it. Fear.

Ubik said:
Fear must be conquered, Paradox. For once in almost three years. For ONCE. It’s just a matter of accepting our extended hand. We never wished you bad. We never wanted to hurt you. You only reaped what you sowed so far. Retribution is a much cherished word here. But there is still time to turn the wrong right, Paradox. There is still time. We both owe it to the Magna Mundi fans. And I am pretty sure both of us want to keep developing games without linguering and potentially ruinous... issues.

psychiatry-couch.gif

Delterius

Arcane
Apologies for not translating the articles now, but I don't have the time now.

What do you say?
blink.gif
I didn't write this, what the fuck?:lol: Infinitron? Am I going insane too?

The articles are mostly boring, they merely describe the story with weirdly written portuguese. Only interesting thing is that apparently 'Carlos', meaning Ubik, took to one of the articles' comment section.
[...]Quanto á questão de me identificar, acho que a psiquiatria já esteve tempo demais a ser debatida á porta fechada por pessoas a olharem para o umbigo. Dou o rosto para denunciar o que se passa, tento abrir a questão da Lei de Saude Mental, a sua aplicação e a prática da psiquiatria em geral á sociedade civil e penso estar a prestar um serviço ao bem comum. Quanto ao que pode ser usado contra mim, e com o que esteve em tribunal, está em tribunal, e está a ser analisado pela PGR, não tenho qualquer problema. Há quem vá ter muito que explicar, mas não serei eu. Finalmente, é triste que o Prof. Caldas de Almeida esteja a fazer a figura que faz, protegendo dois ou três incompetentes que estão somente a usar o seu nome para se protegerem com mentiras infantis. É patético.

É mentira que 7 médicos tenham diagnosticado o que quer que fosse. Vejamos: A 1ª médica fez um diagnostico sem me ver, a 2ª medica, em S. José, fez um diagnostico em que escreve não me detectar qualquer psicopatologia, a 3ª médica é uma delegada de saude que nunca olhou para mim, a 4ª médica é a mesma da primeira, desta vez já no hospital Egas Moniz (aqui repete-se 1 dos 7, é o chamado milagre da multiplicação psiquiátrica), o 5º médico fazia par com a 4ª e o pouco que escreveu em relatorio como "ideação paranoide" veio-se a provar verdadeiro no tribunal através de prova testemunhal e material, os 6ºs e 7ºs medicos viram-me por 5 minutos, queriam ir almoçar e produziram um extenso relatorio que rezava assim na totalidade:"Não mostra sinais de melhoras. Não aceita estar doente".

As for the matter of Identifying myself, I believe that psychiatry has been debated within closed doors by people who look at their own navels. I show my face to denounce what is happening and I try to debate the matter of the Mental Health Law. Its application and the psychiatric practice in general [should be for?] the civil society and I think towards the a service for the common good. As for what can be used against me, it is Court and its under analysis, I have no problems whatsoever. There's many who have a lot to explain, but its not me. Finally, it is sad that Prof. Caldas de Almeida is protecting two or more incompetents who are but using his name to protect themselves with childish lies. It is pathetic.

(...)

It is a lie that 7 doctors diagnosed me of whatever. Let us see: the First doctor diagnosed me without seeing me. The Second doctor, in S. José, made a diagnosis without detecting any psycopathologies. The Third is a Health Deputy that never looked at me. The Fourth doctor is the same as the first, this time in Egas Moniz Hospital (here we see the same doctor twice, it is the so called miracle of psychiatric multiplication). The Fifth doctor was the Fourth's pair and the very little he wrote in a report as 'Ideação Paranóide' ( -- Paranoid Personality Disorder), <he says something was 'proven real' through court, it is not clear to me what he means, the report, the doctor's testimony, that the doctor wrote a report without much analysis whatsoever>. The Sixth and Seventh Doctors saw me for 5 minutes, they wanted to go to lunch and produced a extensive report which said, as such, in its totality: "Does not show signs of improvement. Does not accept his sickness".

Welcome to Ubik's Saga.

Versions_of_the_Doctor.jpg

At this point I am inclined to believe that Ubik is paranoid.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://languish.org/forums/index.php/topic,12131.msg803573.html#msg803573

Well, this is a reply from the hospital:

http://www.publico.pt/sociedade/not...-foi-reconhecida-por-sete-psiquiatras-1675138

"Need for treatment was recognized by seven psychiatrists"

"The patient was only internet compulsively after it was concluded by a clinial psychiatrical evaluation that a serious psychic disturbance existed, an absence of conscience of the pathology, refusal of treatment and significant risks in the absence of treatment, being the interment the only way to ensure the proper treatment", says a note by the Psychiatrical and Mental Healht Department of the Egas Moniz Hospital that answers the PUBLICO's questions. It is underlined that, "due to deonthological reasons, many of the informations that more easily show that the Mental Health Act was abided by cannot be said".

In the anwer it is noted that the decision to comulsively commit Carlos Rodrigues [ubik] was made with basis on the psychiatrical clinical evaluation made at the urgency services at São José Hospital, having this one being validated in the following day by the court, and only then was the patient transferred to the Egas Moniz Hospital.

"After the transfer, three ohter pscychiatrical clinical evaluations were made, all by different doctors than the one that ordered the compulsive internment at São José, having the last one been made by a doctor that did not belong to Egas Moniz". "None of these evaluations placed any doubt on the conclusions of the initial clinical evaluation". That means that the "existance of the disease and the need for treatment was recognized by at least seven psychiatrists and a high number of other professionals of mental health of different institutions", says the text, which is signed by the Department head, Caldas de Almeida, by the director of the Service for Adults, Luís Saldanha, and by the Interment Head, Bernardo Corrêa.

The hospital replies that "the relatives did exactly that which a family can and should do when one of its members shows signs of a grave psychiatrical disease and refuses any treatment for not having conscience of the disease: ask for the guidance and the support of a doctor, and appeal, if needs be, to the health authorities".

It is underlined that the doctor in question, who is an intern and works at Egas Moniz, had "the care the underscore that its information was based on the information by relatives and to limit itself to consider that, on basis of the data to which it had access to, it seemed important to her to ensure a psychiatrical observation of the patient to evaluate an eventual need for interment. This is what a doctor has the duty to do, and can legally do in Portugal, when there are strong signs of a serious psychiatrical disease and of risks to oneself or others".

Regarding the malpractice accusations and the violation of the patients rights during the period during which he was interned, "as soon as the clinical conditions allowed for it, the therapeutical team proposed for him to be moved to a compulsive treatment regime in the community (which was expressely accepted by the patient), having the patient being released from the hospital and started being accompanied in an ambulatory way.

The doctors classify as a "comple fantasy" the acusations of the lawyer of Carlos Rodrigues, when he claims that his client was comulsively committed, not because he suffered from a psyciatrical disturbance, but rather because there was "a vast conspiracy envolving the patient's relatives, the public health authorities and a large number of psychiatrists of two Lisbon hospitals".

Perkel

Arcane
complete fantasy is to state opinion on someone without seeing him in first place (especially in therms of confinement under mental health problem)

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
After being sent to a mental institution by your family, without prior notice, you'd need nerve of steel not to feel a bit paranoid. Talk about a self fulfilling diagnosis.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Ubik was always nuts but this definitely takes the cake. Oh wow.

I mean, does anyone actually believe any of his claims after all the bullshit he spewed during Magna Mundi development? Multiple business deals with European funding that he now lost? Yeah right. Sure, it might all be true but the man has a history of twisting things around and making shit up.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom