Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

MAGIC!

deuxhero

Arcane
How should magic be implemented? While skipping magic entierly may be a good idea, that's for a another topic.

I think magic should be never just being a framerate killing archer. This is one thing D&D (at least 3.5) does right, "blasting" is the worst use of magic while "proper" use is all about neutralizing the foe with instant death or a "might as well be dead" stats effect (and the spells don't stupidly fail against "boss" monsters). I heard Dark Messiah was good with it as well.

I also personally think magic should NOT be balanced with non-magic (It isn't anything close to phenomenal or cosmic then). Either the entire party should be a magic user of some sort (one thing I liked about TES, the lore was clear basic magic was something easily practiced in ones spare time, just like gameplay, rather than a years long study, leading to most classes using some kind of magic), or magic wielders are simply not part of adventurer parties and only show up as NPCs.

The actual spell system (spells per day? MP? Based on the number of reagents you have? Cool down? No limits?) is a bit less clear.

grotsnik

Arcane
So much depends on setting, surely? If you're creating a world where everyone dabbles in magic, then your preference is fine. If you want magic to be the dark and arcane summoning of daemonic presences into the light of our world (TM), then you have to find a gameplay method of making sure everyone isn't just running around casting spells.

I like the idea of not having magic as a class option, but as something anyone *can* attempt to learn, so long as their intelligence is high enough.

I.e. any character can come across the ancient necromantic tome and attempt to read it, but only a clever son-of-a-bitch could decipher it and learn its secrets.

As to balance, rather than having the usual magic-users are feeble/magic-users have a cooldown/spells per day limit, it might be cool to have something closer to the idea of an immensely powerful force barely in the mage's control, and putting him under real strain. So, say, your mage can cast as many spells as he wants. But the more times he does so in a set period, the higher the chances are that the fireball will explode in his face/that the spell will go awry and turn him into a lifeless husk/that a hellbeast will pop out of another dimension and eat him.

spectre

Arcane
First thing, magic needs to venture outside combat, stuff like disciplines in Bloodlines is a good start.

But there is a problem over here, I like to call it the star wars problem, namely: everyone wants to be jedi,the trick is how to make the player want not to be one, sans larping and self-limiting.
The trick is, since magic is the "cool stuff", why the player would want to deny himself that?

There are basically three ways to do it,
(o)First - you make magic and magical characters the center of the story, which is logical, as all the story worthy stuff should be centered around magic.
(o) Second - make the magic and magic users vulnerable (f.e magic is shunned, or there are certain circumstances when it doesn't work), so that they need to rely on non-magic users to get shit done)
(o) Third - make non-magical characters are forced to to deal with magical beings to the best of their ability.

Now, I'm not too keen on discussing high-magic setings here, as paradoxically they're hard to pull off convincingly, see D&D for numerous reasons, especially the Ressurection magic.
But that only scratches the surface, the real deal is how to make it seem like magic is an integral part of the world, flowing seamlessly everywhere, being available to everyone, but with each person using it differently.
I think Earthdawn pnp came closest to capturing it the way I see it.

On the other hand, I prefer the Warhammer approach, that is magic being powerful, dangerous, deadly and shunned. I think a good motto would be "everyone willing to pay the price can do magic", with special emphasis on "price".

So, we have it here, each inwokation of magic involves a bargain - the more you give up, the more you'll get in return. This means, first, that if you only dabble in lowest forms magic the effects will be less severe (but that doesn't mean there won't be any).
The end result should be like this, ideally - the player knows the magic option is available, but should be used as a last resort (because the price is too high, or simply it may be more useful later).

Now, to make it work in a system, making magic users shunned or outright prosecuted is a good start, what else,

(o) Each use of magic consumes a finite resource, character stats are all fair game, imo, so is EXP, lives of npcs, unique items...
Of course, the amount consumed is proportional to the effect (and the effect should be permanent and significant, as well).
And, each use is slightly easier and has slightly greater effect.
(o) Learning magic, especially higher levels requires sacrifices (read: permanent gimping), think Planescape Torment and the Grimoire of Evil, only on a larger scale and as the ONLY way to learn spells).
(o) Taking up magic means the character is forever banned from a certain game element - think D&D and wizards who cannot use weapons and armor, but without the cliche - how about using magic means no more healing for you, or no divine aid, or certain group of people won't speak to you at all?

An example: first we compose a finite list of negative traits, all of them with varying degree o severity (read: annoyance). Learning spells requires selecting something from that list for the char.
The goal is as follows - the player tries to walk a fine line, trying to gimp the character as little as possible (or go all the way and let the warp consume him entirely, if only to see what happens) and make best use of the finite resources.

PandaBreeder

Educated
I always felt that the way that some RPGs tried to balance magic with other skills was really artificial. If someone can control matter with his mind, he should be more powerful than any warrior. You either make magic really expensive, or you make every other class ( Or whatever you use in your game) have supernatural abilities. On a related note, is there any game that does that?

Phelot

Arcane
There was a thread about this awhile ago, but I can't find it.

I agree that magic shouldn't just be about fire balls and destruction, but also about effecting anything in the world, perhaps divided into different schools such as in Arcanum.

I'm also a fan of the under implemented reagents based magic such as in the Ultima games so long as they aren't just cumbersome and time consuming spells that just result in a fire ball or lightning bolt...

Magic should be special and I prefer it when it is so. It's stupid that you can just distribute skill points into some magical field of study and BAM you've got yourself magic.

I really prefer it as a class, or as it was in Torment which I still find was one hell of a cool way to "learn" magic. As I said, every Joe learning magic because they put points into it rather then into melee combat is just stupid in my opinion regardless of setting.

Shemar

Educated
PandaBreeder said:
I If someone can control matter with his mind, he should be more powerful than any warrior.

That pretty much represents the entire flaw most 'pro-magic' players fall into. What if lifting a sword with my mind takes 10 times the effort of lifting it with my hands? Accelerating a piece of sharp metal to deadly speeds with my mind may be 'cool', but a bow/crossbow or even a hand could do it just as easily, probably faster and more efficiently. Magic is not by definition more powerful than arms. This is a design decision. Personally I find "magic trumps everything" settings extremely boring.

deuxhero said:
How should magic be implemented? While skipping magic entierly may be a good idea, that's for a another topic.

I think magic should be never just being a framerate killing archer. This is one thing D&D (at least 3.5) does right, "blasting" is the worst use of magic while "proper" use is all about neutralizing the foe with instant death or a "might as well be dead" stats effect (and the spells don't stupidly fail against "boss" monsters). I heard Dark Messiah was good with it as well.

I also personally think magic should NOT be balanced with non-magic (It isn't anything close to phenomenal or cosmic then). Either the entire party should be a magic user of some sort (one thing I liked about TES, the lore was clear basic magic was something easily practiced in ones spare time, just like gameplay, rather than a years long study, leading to most classes using some kind of magic), or magic wielders are simply not part of adventurer parties and only show up as NPCs.

The actual spell system (spells per day? MP? Based on the number of reagents you have? Cool down? No limits?) is a bit less clear.

This aspect of it sucked for real PnP, but in the computer game implementations of 2nd ed D&D I actually loved the mage imbalance, where you were utterly useless early and absurdly powerful later. It just made for great character progression by having the main character as a magic user, either straight or hybrid, but with mostly mage focus. You'd start out as the nobody, the kid that was on the run and needed held, relying on your party members (hired goons) to protect you, until in true b-movie style you end up becoming Keanu Reeves and roasting everyone's asses while the companions you used to rely on are now mere spectators. Worked awesomely with both the Bhaalspawn and the PS:T storylines (even on my first playthrough, I tried to postpone other content until I could find out how to become a mage) - going from 'yeah, I can..umm...throw dust and maybe blind one enemy once every 10 fights or so' to eventually 'KNEEL BEFORE ZOD!!!'

In a proper party-based game, you don't need classes to be combat balanced - just combat-useful so you don't feel like they're dead-weight. It didn't matter in the I.E. games that fighters sucked compared to mages from around L5 until Throne of Bhaal - you still kind of needed them (yes you COULD have a mage party using summons, but it was still morpe practical just to have some fighteres). Same for a thief - you didn't expect the fucker to be keeping pace in combat, he's there to handle the traps and locks. Balance only really matters in mmorpgs, where no-one wants to feel like the 'gimped' class, and non-combat/flavour features aren't as viable as in PnP. Trouble is that current crpgs have eschewed the party, where 4 is now massive, and so a character that doesn't keep up in combat feels like too much deadweight to the console kiddies.

Alternatively, I think all spells should be accompanied by the 80s tune from that movie where the guy dates the mannequin that comes to life 'You've got to believe we are maaaggiiicc, and nothing can stand in our wwaaaaaayyyy'....

Outside the I.E. game cheese (sadly the 'epic party crpg' is probably the single most extinct species of crpg - and yes, I'm counting Wizardry-style dungeon crawlers, as there's quite a few indies doing that stuff), I find magic works best when used as a utility style rather than an uber-damage-source. That's something that Bioware understood when selecting spells from D&D, but completely failed at ever since. Gothic 2 and Risen did it very very well, as did Morrowind. Mages' strategic advantage should be things like flying, shrinking, mind-reading, with a smattering of thief abilities (walk on water instead of swiming, levitate for climb, open locks, disguise) but with limited usage compared to the thief (mana system or similar). In fact, I'd love to see a game where mages didn't get ANY direct damage spells - they had to fight with weapons like everyone else, using their mage staffs, and at a disadvantage to compensate for their other abilities.

For me, that's what Dragon Age fails at the most, and I think it's an increasingly common failing. Things like C+C and tactical combat are limited by the developers/publishers perceptions of what folk will buy - developers know what they are, they just aren't willing to implement them to the extent we'd like. But I think developers at present miss the whole notion of class variation altogether - that it's gone totally from their heads. In games like Dragon Age all classes play essentially the same - you might have a different combo of buttons, a slightly different combat strategy, or different tactical emphasis, but ultimately all characters must fulfill the same goals of killing enemies and talking to friendlies. The notion of a character class dedicated just to thievery (thieves becoming high-damage/low-hp fighters is typical of this), or to utility spells, creating real variation in play, is completely missing.

Deneidez

Educated
Shemar said:
PandaBreeder said:
I If someone can control matter with his mind, he should be more powerful than any warrior.

That pretty much represents the entire flaw most 'pro-magic' players fall into. What if lifting a sword with my mind takes 10 times the effort of lifting it with my hands? Accelerating a piece of sharp metal to deadly speeds with my mind may be 'cool', but a bow/crossbow or even a hand could do it just as easily, probably faster and more efficiently. Magic is not by definition more powerful than arms. This is a design decision. Personally I find "magic trumps everything" settings extremely boring.
There is no logic in magic usually. Talking about magic is like talking about god. Because its magic(or god).

Heres how I would and will make magic(logical one).

TSOTR Thread said:
---TSOTR - Magic---
As I said TSOTR is all about logic and well logic+magic=does not usually compute. So there have to be some compromises. Basically magic in TSOTR is similar to physical might and it tries to keep the energy balance. Magic can't create anything from thin air, but it can manipulate things. There will be no spell points. Instead spells generate fatique just like physical work. When spells are used against beings(telepathy for example) those other beings can resist those spells with will.

Examples how spells will work in TSOTR:
Character casts telekinesis spell and lifts small rock. If character has low skill in magic and low int he/she can't keep small rock in the air for a long. While small rock is held in the middle of air it takes 9.8*(mass of rock) energy to keep it floating(When rock is near enough, if not more fatigue will be added.). That energy will be added as fatigue by using int and magic skill(s). If two rocks are lifted, it takes more energy(depends on skill) to lift the second rock(One rock=1, two similar rocks>2). When character moves stuff with telekinesis(for example in combat), it takes (1/2)*(mass of rock)*(change of velocity) amount of energy to give velocity for objects when handling large objects. With smaller objects there is one more value that must be taken into account and its concentration. How does that work? Smaller the item is more concentration it takes to move it fast(Eliminates 'gatling gun problem' with smaller objects). However small objects can be moved slowly with no concentration minuses. Telekinesis can also be used as defense. Magic users can stop arrows, stones and even weapons.
(See my signature for more...)

Actually magic is usually what I hate in Japanese crap. I just don't like how magic users can get more energy for spells they use than whole world needs in one year. Over nine thousand!!! etc. (Side note: They would make a fortune as powerplants! :) )

PandaBreeder

Educated
Deneidez said:
Actually magic is usually what I hate in Japanese crap. I just don't like how magic users can get more energy for spells they use than whole world needs in one year. Over nine thousand!!! etc. (Side note: They would make a fortune as powerplants! :) )
This depends more on whether the designer wants to have normal people fighting/stealing/whatever along with wizards. It would be interesting if magic was too expensive and laborious to be used in combat or to magically open a lock. Instead you'd use it to do things that would be impossible to do without magic, such as talking to a ghost, appeasing spirits or becoming invisible.

Yeesh

Magister
Azrael the cat said:
Alternatively, I think all spells should be accompanied by the 80s tune from that movie where the guy dates the mannequin that comes to life 'You've got to believe we are maaaggiiicc, and nothing can stand in our wwaaaaaayyyy'....

No that's this Olivia Newton John song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7WPwH8Rd6g

I believe you're thinking of this song by (Jefferson) Starship: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0w5s6V8rQH4

You may continue with the discussion.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom