Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Magic the Gathering Arena

ind33d

Educated
there's definitely a lot of fuckery going on under the hood. everyone playing the same FIVE decks helps recognizing patterns. every day i pick a deck according to the color of the daily mission, usually win the first 3-4 games, then i face all the same decks and, more often than not, their always identical, always perfect opening hand. there's about 1 chance out of 10 for any deck to start with any specific card, and yet those decks open ALWAYS the same. thee card combo? they always have them right there, x then y then z. i've never seen the legendary mite not being played on the first turn, the green "target any creature, get a poison counter" creature always two one after another, every black deck drops the shelobwhatshername on turn 4, blues always have a 1 mana counter and second turn generic counterspell, especially aggravating is that deck using the green 4/4 which can't act if there aren't 7 lands, it opens ALWAYS the same and if i havent at least two removals ready it's game over.
then i change deck, i have another 3-4 games window i utterly rape anyone with my non-meta decks, and then i'm back to lose to perfect opening hands all over again.
the creepy part is not that arena is rigged but that somehow it being rigged is not common knowledge, which implies wotc is literally employing psyops agents to control the narrative

ind33d

Educated
What if all lands in your decklist had to be basic but Green and White got spells that created different Dual Land tokens? I feel like that would reduce shuffling and make the gameplay a lot better since you don't need retarded shit like flip cards that are a different color on each face

Gerrard

Arcane
I ended up stumbling upon the Nu Kamigawa... Christ almighty.
:abyssgazer:
I remember them saying how people couldn't get into the original sets because the themes and mythology was so foreign to people, so this time they went with shit that the average american retard would know about Japan = anime, giant robots, shounenshit, cyberpunk. Total creative death.
They didn't even bring back the Splice/Arcane mechanic.

The alternate art basic lands are the only good thing that came out of this set, I might buy a set even if I'm never going to play MtG again.
oOjk8LW.jpg

ind33d

Educated
>only job is to make a yearly Banned and Restricted list
>announce no changes

Magic has to be a money laundering operation, there's just no way

Gerrard

Arcane
This Universes Beyond thing is the most soy shit I have ever seen any franchise do.
It's literally if you took this image and made it into a design paradigm

djR7DkT.jpg

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
Today lvd had to suffer through my early necropotence, I drew like 10 cards of it. Could more but I had other disgusting card draws things going.
He never concedes so I could bask in his top decking against my forever 7 hand

at least 1 out of 5 of my losses ends with "he can do nothing, he has no cards in hand, he could win only if he draws that one only single card (of whom there's only 2, maybe 1 in his entire deck). and he draws it". this is *literally* impossible. 1 out of 5 because mana screw/flood, and i made a pro tour winner ragequit after bitchslapping him for one hour straight, i know how to build my decks. the remaining i give up against the usual perfect hand where a deck with cards going from 1 to 5 mana manages to empty its hand by turn 4. again, this is *literally* impossible. maybe 1 match out of 50 feels actually fair.
but with my heart issues i can barely play this, i had to ditch a lot of games, i haven't much choice in what to play.

Self-Ejected

Dadd

Self-Ejected
Part of the problem is the poor deisgn of new cards. Games rarely feel evenly matched. Garfield talked about cards having a complexity budget. New cards do way too much. Too many games revolve around resolving some big card rather than gaining and maintaining incremental advantage.

Dr1f7

Scholar
well they've admitted to:
  • rigging starting hands
  • rigging matchmaking based on "hidden mmr" and not actual rank
  • rigging matchmaking based on your deck composition
that alone is bad enough to make me not play, but who knows what other rigging goes on behind the scenes that they haven't openly admitted to
not to mention that the game's just straight up sucked dick for the past four years

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
  • rigging starting hands
that alone is bad enough to make me not play, but who knows what other rigging goes on behind the scenes that they haven't openly admitted to
not to mention that the game's just straight up sucked dick for the past four years
The fact that I got trolled and banned for trying to bring this up on reddit a few years ago makes me :argh:

Dr1f7

Scholar
  • rigging starting hands
The fact that I got trolled and banned for trying to bring this up on reddit a few years ago makes me :argh:
just a bunch of shitheads there, you should be proud of getting banned tbh

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Installed this game again, just playing with starter decks. When I have enough gold from dailies, I'll do a draft. But I don't have enough card knowledge, so I want to have some addon/plugin to help me judge cards instead of constantly looking them up online.
Any suggestions? Requirements are no payments, and no spyware.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
Do starter decks only play each other?
only for fresh accounts, after some treshold you are released to the wilds.
Then it depends on your rare counts. If you come up with 'cheap' deck, you will be pitted against starter decks and newbies

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom