Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Magic the Gathering Arena

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Yesterday there was a stonks offer of 500 gems for 400 gems. I tried to log in and claim it. That was when the nightmare started.
The strangest wave of tech errors washed over me, basically all internet related apps stopped working. Then all my browsers stopped being able to download stuff, I got access violations on the part data in the /appdata/local/ folders.
I did a ton of shit without being able to find the solution for hours, after hours I found out that somehow all my browsers, even the fucking default browser had lost admin priviliges.
Now stuff is slowly working again, although I still don't know what the root cause is and why it fucked MTGA aswell. And due to not being able to log in the stonks offer expired without me being able to claim the free gems.

So the only logical conclusion is: WOTC infected my pc with some next level malware to deny me 100 gems.

I used the historic event to play some goblins and see if I wanted to finish crafting out gobbos, and I came to the conclusion that I probably don't. As much as I like goblins and used to half-assed collect them when I played paper, that's not a very fun brainless deck to play and I enjoy me some brainless decks. I probably should try out that storm deck but now I'm too fat and lazy to really want to bother, and I'm fairly sure that's another variety of brainless that won't get my blood pumping. Not sure why since underworld dreams and gaze into the abyss mono black is similar combo bullshit but it feels like there's more tension I guess. If the combo's easier to get rolling it's less exciting.

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014
My anti mill deck is fun.

well..?
i'll show you mine if you show me yours...

Deck
3 Hateful Eidolon (THB) 101
6 Swamp (THB) 252
4 Lurrus of the Dream-Den (IKO) 226
4 Dead Weight (GRN) 67
3 Mire's Grasp (THB) 106
1 Agadeem's Awakening (ZNR) 90
2 Castle Locthwain (ELD) 241
3 Archfiend's Vessel (M21) 88
3 Village Rites (M21) 126
2 Call of the Death-Dweller (IKO) 78
2 Tymaret, Chosen from Death (THB) 119
3 Feed the Swarm (ZNR) 102
2 Malakir Rebirth (ZNR) 111
4 Temple of Malice (THB) 247
2 Elspeth's Nightmare (THB) 91
3 Kroxa, Titan of Death's Hunger (THB) 221
4 Savai Triome (IKO) 253
2 Ox of Agonas (THB) 147
2 Bloodfell Caves (M21) 243
2 Murderous Rider (ELD) 97
3 Kitesail Freebooter (M21) 107

Sideboard
1 Inscription of Ruin (ZNR) 108
2 Forever Young (ELD) 89
3 Duress (M19) 94
3 Agonizing Remorse (THB) 83

Gyor

Savant
My anti mill cards consist of Ox of Agonas and Ash Phoenix, and when I feel like putting it back in, Underworld Breach.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
My anti mill deck is fun.

well..?
i'll show you mine if you show me yours...

Deck
3 Hateful Eidolon (THB) 101
6 Swamp (THB) 252
4 Lurrus of the Dream-Den (IKO) 226
4 Dead Weight (GRN) 67
3 Mire's Grasp (THB) 106
1 Agadeem's Awakening (ZNR) 90
2 Castle Locthwain (ELD) 241
3 Archfiend's Vessel (M21) 88
3 Village Rites (M21) 126
2 Call of the Death-Dweller (IKO) 78
2 Tymaret, Chosen from Death (THB) 119
3 Feed the Swarm (ZNR) 102
2 Malakir Rebirth (ZNR) 111
4 Temple of Malice (THB) 247
3 Kroxa, Titan of Death's Hunger (THB) 221
4 Savai Triome (IKO) 253
2 Ox of Agonas (THB) 147
2 Bloodfell Caves (M21) 243
2 Murderous Rider (ELD) 97
3 Kitesail Freebooter (M21) 107

Sideboard
1 Inscription of Ruin (ZNR) 108
2 Forever Young (ELD) 89
3 Duress (M19) 94
3 Agonizing Remorse (THB) 83
Nice =) I can't get in now but I can probably remember most. I started with 80 cards which gives so much more time against mills. Then 4 Midnight Clocks! I put 3 Dance of the Manse to bring all awesome stuff they mill back. 4 Doom Foretold, 2 Elspeth Conquers Death. 4 Nullpriest of Oblivion which is probably my favorite card at the moment. The finisher is usually 1 Kenrith or 2 Rise to Glory bringing some huge creature back. I've got an 8 mana Void Beckener in there, Demon of Loathing, Archon something, 1 Archipelagore. So they mill me, I bring something huge back and they shit themselves and board wipe it. Then I just bring it back again, or use Dance to bring back a bunch of dooms and shit to draw cards, make tokens, regain some life, and discard them some. 4 counterspells, probably the one that has them pay 4 cuz it only needs 1 u.

4 Murderous Rider! Takes care of most trouble! Love that card.

I mostly win with Kenrith, Nullpriest, or Rise to Glory. They usually get a wipe or two off but I usually manage to bring something big enough back that it gets them. I think seeing the 4 clocks demoralizes a lot of them into just giving up. Only about half the time do I get the clock to 12 but the extra mana helps and the threat causes them much despair.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I just got through gold rank to platinum, only losing one match! 99% of my opponents have the exact same deck so it is pretty easy to beat that.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I just got through gold rank to platinum, only losing one match! 99% of my opponents have the exact same deck so it is pretty easy to beat that.

The playerbase is the strangest thing.
Every week I face a few decks I have never seen before, and I think to myself how original the playerbase is. Then over the next few days all I see are duplicates of those decks, and I realise that those ingenious piles were brewed probably brewed by a youtuber or are accessible from the latest tournament results, and everyone is just copycatting.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I noticed it too, very weird. I started MTG when people only used premade/famous decks to learn the game. Then it was all about homebrews. But I am at peace with netdecks now, I used to hate it and now I just use it as a challenge to rise above with my own decks. Platinum was like hitting a brick wall though, gonna take me a while unless I improve my deck.

How much I copy/paste depends on how much general interest I've got in MTG at a given moment and if there are any cards/archetypes I've really got a boner for. Last few months I've been netdecking non-stop since I'm just scraping by with 1-2 wins a day and haven't felt a desire to toy around with any cards in particular. I'd honestly shelve my .jpgs for a while if not for the fact that I have to keep poking at it so I don't fall too far behind for F2P. Standard's not even in a completely terrible spot but I don't really like any of the existing decks and none of the cards really call out to me as some bullshit I want to keep tinkering with. Theoretically would be a good reason to play some historic but I've been feeling lazy there too.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
https://www.reddit.com/r/spikes/

If I steal I really like stealing my deck from reddit's tryhard sub. The people there are pretty strong, strong enough that the deck is on tournament level if it has high upvotes, and it is niche enough you do not really get mirrors.
That said I am bad at netdecking, I always take the general idea and add my own flavor to the deck, often making it worse in the process.

Kaldheim leaks are starting,

s07cpkbanf561.jpg

fqjhv8ijqe561.jpg

Boros card is hard to evaluate since carddraw in red/white is so fucking rare, I do not think it's good tho. It's a 4 mana do nothing enchantment, since your are tapped out on the turn you play it, and it doesn't even give permanent value like that landfall cat card. Pyre of Heroes is interesting, no instant speed keeps it down a lot, but if there is a good tribal deck there is a lot of bullshit to be done with an effect like that.

spectre

Arcane
Thac0 said:
Boros card is hard to evaluate since carddraw in red/white is so fucking rare, I do not think it's good tho.
I reckon you're meant to blink it with spees snek then keep buffing it . Not sure if WR control is going to be a thing, but card draw aside from Mazemind Tome can help it.

Could also be a curve-topper for some kind of WR aggro, but it's having trouble getting off the ground with just the pathway and jousting grounds to work with for mana.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
Thac0 said:
Boros card is hard to evaluate since carddraw in red/white is so fucking rare, I do not think it's good tho.
I reckon you're meant to blink it with spees snek then keep buffing it . Not sure if WR control is going to be a thing, but card draw aside from Mazemind Tome can help it.

Could also be a curve-topper for some kind of WR aggro, but it's having trouble getting off the ground with just the pathway and jousting grounds to work with for mana.

True, this thing is disgusting if blinked. For an aggro deck that is just draw 4. I will try it in my Boros Knights pile, at 4 mana I usually do not have problems with double pips. Also R/B/R Knights might become better if it can run 12 pathways.

Is there anything competitive that can blink enchantments currently at low cost? Only thing that comes to my mind is Yorion, and he is unplayable in low curve.

i have issues with colorless artifact searching library instead of graveyard

Especially with the pyre and funeral theme I would have loved for this to search the graveyard aswell, or only the graveyard and at instant speed.
Still I think this is playable, heavily dependant on synergy obv, but Birthing Pod is a mean effect to have in colourless.

spectre

Arcane
Well, they balanced the living crap out of that Pyre of Heroes. Sorcery speed + limited to one creature type... no fun allowed. Surprising it's not legendary.

Is there anything competitive that can blink enchantments currently at low cost? Only thing that comes to my mind is Yorion, and he is unplayable in low curve.
You can pseudo-blink with Shepherd of the Flock and trigger a counter. I've seen attempts to make a GW adventures, so he's reasonably competitive, but that was with Inkeeper.

Gyor

Savant
https://www.reddit.com/r/spikes/

If I steal I really like stealing my deck from reddit's tryhard sub. The people there are pretty strong, strong enough that the deck is on tournament level if it has high upvotes, and it is niche enough you do not really get mirrors.
That said I am bad at netdecking, I always take the general idea and add my own flavor to the deck, often making it worse in the process.

Kaldheim leaks are starting,

s07cpkbanf561.jpg

fqjhv8ijqe561.jpg

Boros card is hard to evaluate since carddraw in red/white is so fucking rare, I do not think it's good tho. It's a 4 mana do nothing enchantment, since your are tapped out on the turn you play it, and it doesn't even give permanent value like that landfall cat card. Pyre of Heroes is interesting, no instant speed keeps it down a lot, but if there is a good tribal deck there is a lot of bullshit to be done with an effect like that.

It lasts until your next turn and any lands that show up in the four cards will be playable.

Gyor

Savant
Pyre of Heroes in a Lurrus deck will be interesting, sacrifice say Hollow Priest to get another cleric out from your Library then use Lurrus to play the card again from the graveyard.

Gyor

Savant
Btw I was right about Sagas being in Kaldheim, and I'm pretty sure they will be in the Forgotten Realms set too.

Showdown of the Skalds + Fires of Invention could work really well. Use Fires of invention to play Showdown of the Skalds and then use it to cast one of the spells the Saga exiled that turn, then next turn play any lands that got exiled by the Saga and cast two more of the spells with fires of invention.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
mn1asg6s9l561.png

Inject this straight into my veins pls. Dwarf tribal playing an aggressive mid range strategy to gather Treasure tokens and then spend them for massive legendary artifacts and dragons is the most flavorfull shit ever.

Sadly dwarven tribal will probably be shit since WoTC has a habit of undersupporting tribal mechanics but one can hope

The cringy marketing for Kaldheim has put me off a bit initially, although giving Amon Amart, Mastodon and the two smaller bands reveal cards was cool. Their blog posts were incredibly cringy. But this set might get really good.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Wow that looks a lot of fun. Diamond is way better btw, different deck each game so far.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom