Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Magic Candle

Real topic title: THE MAGIC CANDLE SERIE

I was talking about old school threads in the other topic so I decided to create one.

I have yet to play the Magic Candle serie and am thinking of playing though the trilogy. Old school farts around the world claim that the first one is on par with "Wasteland". Is it true or am I bound to be disappointed? Are the second and third ones as crappy as they're supposed to be?

attackfighter

Magister
grass in skyrim is only visible from 5 meters away any further and the landscape will just be barren and white/green, worse than any graphics from even 10 years ago

the game will still be applauded for it's "stunning vistas" though

genci88

Educated
npc50.gif

I played magic candle several years ago for a larf

Its a micro-management odyssey , instead of levelling up you find more powerful friends in distant lands, you have to make your characters work for money, and you have to collect several mushrooms that increase your stats in battle... or youll get your arse kicked,

make sure the game doesn't run too fast or the combat will confuse you.

sounds more fun that it is though
you definitely need the map and manual

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
I finished Magic Candle 2, it was fine game. Big continent to explore, lots of great features like telepathy stones, working for salary and so on, lots of NPC to travel with or sacrificing to Dark Gods, turn-based combat, magic system based on memorise.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Change the topic name, goddamit. I clicked here only because name was so retarded. Don't think you will attract more clever posters :M

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Also I remember probably prequel to Magic Candles, Keys to Maramon.
What do you want really know about series? I liked Wasteland more.

Game have shitton of skills, they increased after using. Also idea with spellbooks was really good.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Beautiful Clown Painting said:

I was talking about old school threads in the other topic so I decided to create one.

I have yet to play the Magic Candle serie and am thinking of playing though the trilogy. Old school farts around the world claim that the first one is on par with "Wasteland". Is it true or am I bound to be disappointed? Are the second and third ones as crappy as they're supposed to be?

Fun games. Start with one.

Luzur

Good Sir
Trash said:

Fun games. Start with one.

pretty much, yes.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Fowyr said:
Also I remember probably prequel to Magic Candles, Keys to Maramon.
Are you thinking of Bloodstone (prequel released after MC3) or Rings of Zilfin (first Mindcraft game)? I remember nothing of Keys of Maramon...

Morkar Left

Keys of Maramon is a beginnerfriendly action-rpg in the MC universe and you can even import the char to mc2 from it. But I can only recommend the game for curiosity and as a little distraction.

For MC1 you need to write down a lot of info from the conversations. Plus get the manual and the map.

Bloodstone is the prequel to the MC story and I can recommend it.

Siege and Ambush at Sorinor are realtime strategy games in the same universe.

Rings of Zilfin could be loosely connected to the lore, but I think that's not intentional and it is just a earlier game from the same designer.

circ

Arcane
I had a whole folder full of papers with shit written down for Magic Candle 1. Passwords, words to wake the gods with, spells, dwarven chants or something, maps, herb combos etc etc. SHERRO HOY HOY. CREZIMAS. That shit is annoying yo. Many years later, it was all assembled in a text file on the internets, but I wasn't interested in finally completing it any more. But it's an excellent RPG, and IMO more interesting than Wasteland because of the meticulous attention to detail. When was the last time you saw an RPG where your party could take different jobs in town and work for cash as the other guys rested and did other shit? Personally, never after MC1.

Don't know about MC2 and 3, though I think the same guy was involved in MC2 too.

EDIT: Oh, JA2 had something similar, where some in your party could hang and train up skills as you shot foo's down in the meantime.

Morkar Left

The party splitting in MC2+ was considered "dumbed down" because you couldn't control them directly anymore. You told them to go point A and do job B for x days. Or let us meet in x days at C. Personally I liked it but I started with MC2 and bloodstone.

For MC1 I recommend only to read the manual (and pay attention) and look at the map. Then play it and don't look for advice from others. The game is basically a hunt for clues and it is highly worthwhile to come to your own conclusions. And for everything you do you have to consider the time you spend on it. It's actually a rpg where the timelimit is a very important factor and makes all your decisions meaningful. You have to plan in advance. (if you choose easy you have more days before the timelimit runs off).

Partyselection is very important. Nearly every partymember has unique stats which are all important and useful. You don't get loot from enemies besides gold and for some stupid reason you can't trade weapons and armor between partymembers.

Herbs are the magicpotions and magicitems here and you need them in basically every fight early on. Remember to let your wizards memorize their spells, if possible till they reach 99 charges for the important spells.

Morkar said:
The party splitting in MC2+ was considered "dumbed down" because you couldn't control them directly anymore. You told them to go point A and do job B for x days. Or let us meet in x days at C. Personally I liked it but I started with MC2 and bloodstone.

For MC1 I recommend only to read the manual (and pay attention) and look at the map. Then play it and don't look for advice from others. The game is basically a hunt for clues and it is highly worthwhile to come to your own conclusions. And for everything you do you have to consider the time you spend on it. It's actually a rpg where the timelimit is a very important factor and makes all your decisions meaningful. You have to plan in advance. (if you choose easy you have more days before the timelimit runs off).

Partyselection is very important. Nearly every partymember has unique stats which are all important and useful. You don't get loot from enemies besides gold and for some stupid reason you can't trade weapons and armor between partymembers.

Herbs are the magicpotions and magicitems here and you need them in basically every fight early on. Remember to let your wizards memorize their spells, if possible till they reach 99 charges for the important spells.

Well said. And don't listen to Slenkar, he is a moron. All of the Magic Candle RPG's are excellent games. 1, 2, 3 and Bloodstone.

I actually recommend these over Realms of Arkania (not that you shouldn't give them a run either); they have more depth in the exploration side of things, without having quite as much, at times, tedious micromanagement. I found the battles to be more exciting as well. Unfortunately for the popamole types around here, the graphics, and sounds on the PC (C64 version has some nice sound effects) are as old as the game is. Up to you if you miss out on all the goodness from such a silly aspect.

No need for power gaming either. You don't have to go and pick up the super recruits from the Crystal Castle. My team, in both of my playthroughs, were all from Rebnard's Castle and got to the end quite well.

Oh, the dungeons are a very nice challenge too. Full of tricks, traps and other ways of getting around. The spell system was very good, with plenty of excellent spells that enhance the tactical combat and play to its strengths.

Better than Wasteland? Not quite, at least for me, but I perfectly understand anyone that says otherwise.

Edit: Perhaps the graphics whores may prefer the PC-98 version, if they can find an English translator.

Andhaira

Arcane
It was a good series. I can only dream that it would make a comeback.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Morkar said:
Keys of Maramon is a beginnerfriendly action-rpg in the MC universe and you can even import the char to mc2 from it.
Thanks, I think this one passed me by. I'll add it to my list of games to check out.

Ruprekt said:
The 2nd game was never bad and the third only had a bad rep because it badly bugged and in them days it was hard to obtain patches.
2nd is definitely good, but it was missing a something that didn't make it as fun as the first one. 3rd one is the weakest IMO. Aside from the bugs, it was extremely unbalanced. First dungeon was probably the most difficult, then later ones are cakewalks. And, where the first game ended with this involved ritual you had to carry (when the entire game was preparation and gathering materials for the ritual - an extremely satisfying conclusion) the third one had a boss fight. It's by no means a terrible game, but it was disappointing compared to the others.

Thanks for all the replys. I think I'll start with Rings of Zilfin then Keys of Maramon followed by the Magic Candle trilogy and finally Bloodstone.

WarHamster

Augur
Patron
Thanks for all the replys. I think I'll start with Rings of Zilfin then Keys of Maramon followed by the Magic Candle trilogy and finally Bloodstone.
How about LPing your epic mushroom-eating saga here (at least the Magic Candle trilogy)? Pleez! I'd follow it religiously.

WarHamster

Augur
Patron
Thanks for the link. I have visited the site before and it has loads of info with maps and FAQs and whatnot, but to my knowledge there aren't any Let's Plays there. Or have I failed my Perception check?

To my shame, I never did play MC1-3 way back when and even if I have now managed to obtain all three of them, I have such a bad shortage of gaming time nowdays and a massive backlog of games to play, that I don't see me getting to play them any time soon. So, a Let's Play would be really great (could follow it from work).

Sidenote and a long solitary rant: I did start MC3 when I got it few years back (got it first of the trilogy). However, I put it on hold after just an hour (or so) into the game. I was really frustrated when, after agonizing over who to pick to my party at start, writing down their stats, gear and everything, then comparing them carefully -- only to find out, they're but trash and I can get vastly superior characters recruited right after the intro in the "blighted wood". Not talking about the orc you meet in the woods, but the characters you find in the nearby castle. IIRC, the very same castle you start your journey in the first place, FFS! What was the point of the initial party selection? Were these better guys indisposed just a moment ago? Out taking a dump perhaps? They sure weren't available to me as I started out, but now (less than an hour into the game) they are willing and able to go forth and conquer Teh World with me. Swell. So, I put the game on hold as I steamed over this curious piece of game design and then sorta forgot all about it. Now, some years later, I have the earlier parts of the trilogy as well, but naturally would want to play them in order. However, there's the sticky question of available time, i.e. the lack of it. Soo, long story short, I'd be happy to follow an LP now and then, someday when I have the time, play the whole shebang in order myself. To hell with spoilers! Give me a Magic Candle Trilogy LP nao!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom