Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Magic and mages

Realbumpbert

Liturgist
Wysardry said:
Okay, if you want to oversimplify things and think of technology and magic as being equal, consider this: the Industrial Revolution didn't start until the 18th Century. It would therefore follow that a Magical Revolution would take place at a similar time, rather than 300 to 800 years sooner.
Maybe, maybe not. My stance is that there are no intrinsic differences between magic and technology; if, however, magic required less knowledge and resources, I expect the revolution would occur sooner. Conversely, if magic required large amounts of study and hideous costs, then it would occur at a later date.
Also, if a Magical Revolution did take place, there would no longer be a medieval society, so most of the features that people enjoy in fantasy games would be missing. Castles became increasingly pointless as gunpowder became more widespread for example, and they would be a complete waste of resources if the enemy could just teleport past the walls.
There is no line between modern and ancient. Magic could exist in a medieval society if technology could, which it did.
If you're thinking of the famous quote by Arthur C Clarke (any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic), the two most important words are "sufficiently advanced". We are not yet sufficiently advanced in this century to replicate the effects of most spells available in fantasy games, so any juxtaposition of magic and technology would require a much more advanced society.
No, I was not thinking of his quote, nor was I talking about any juxtaposition. I was just saying that tech and magic are two approaches to the same concept.

Human Shield

Augur
I would like to see a "Magic of Mass Destruction" arms race between to Kingdoms, both dealing with Old Demons for power.

Visbhume

Prophet
Although D&D magic is based on "The Dying Earth", it didn't imitate an interesting mechanic present on those books. The high-level mages in the DE get their powers by coaxing powerful extradimensional beings called sandestins to do their bidding. Those sandestins are notoriously tricky and resent being bound to mere mortals, so they do things like interpeting each command in the literal, inadecuate sense to vex the wizards. It's more a game of manipulation than a matter of throwing fireballs around like there's no tomorrow.

I would like to see a game with something like dream magic, where the wizard can have prophetic dreams that must be interpreted. Or voodoo that requires personal objects from the victim to work. Or a sophisticated form of Illusionism. And how about music-based magic for the bards, like in Loom? Or maybe demon summonings that actually require to find and sacrifice an innocent to work. Stuff like that.

Shagnak

Shagadelic
travers said:
is there a xp compatibilty patch for wizards and warriors?
There is no "patch" for Windows XP - you have to reprocess the video masks.
The info is in several places on the net. Use Google.
Post in the right place (i.e. CRPG help) in future.

Edit: go here for example:
http://www.ironworksforum.com/ubb/cgi-b ... =007547#61

(fuck I'm too nice)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom