Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Mage's Initiation: Another Quest for Glory-like Hits Kickstarter

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
By the way, what's the Kodex Kritical Konsensus about the King Quest remakes that these guys made? Are they worth it? I know that for the last two KQ games, they added a lot of new content.
I thought they were quite good. Some people might not agree with the changing of KQ2's "Story", but I thought it was fairly non-intrusive, and KQ2 was the weakest of the series anyway. Their QFG2 remake was also very good -- they created a good combat system and stayed mostly faithful to the original.

Self-Ejected

Kosmonaut

Lost in Space
By the way, what's the Kodex Kritical Konsensus about the King Quest remakes that these guys made? Are they worth it? I know that for the last two KQ games, they added a lot of new content.
I thought they were quite good. Some people might not agree with the changing of KQ2's "Story", but I thought it was fairly non-intrusive, and KQ2 was the weakest of the series anyway. Their QFG2 remake was also very good -- they created a good combat system and stayed mostly faithful to the original.
Thanks bro. I downloaded the four games and started playing King Quest I. Although I'm surprised they were allowed to do these remakes by Sierra Online or whomever owns the KQ rights.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Thanks bro. I downloaded the four games and started playing King Quest I. Although I'm surprised they were allowed to do these remakes by Sierra Online or whomever owns the KQ rights.
Yeah, there was actually quite the drama over that. They were briefly made to stop production by Vivendi/later Activision, but were eventually granted a 'fan license' to produce the remakes legally after lots of negotiations and demonstrating that their games weren't steaming piles of crap. That's why they say 'licensed remakes' in their KS video.

Self-Ejected

Kosmonaut

Lost in Space
Countless of game project based on previous works, were C&D'ed, regardless of the new art assets they were using and that they didn't charged a penny. Case in point The Silver Lining (although Activision backpedaled latter) and the Chrono Trigger remake. Heck, even some mods were affected by this.

Edit:
Thanks Aeschylus for those tidbits of info. I figured out that they somehow negotiated some kind of license.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Artstyle is definitely awesome!

I wonder how the $6 early special price will work out. It appears to have given them a lot of pledges quickly, which is good, but it could cause things to slow down substantially, if people see the "normal" price tier as too expensive in comparison. It's an interesting strategy for sure, I'm looking forward to seeing how it goes.

suejak

Arbiter
Patron
Village Idiot
Nah, this game is worth many many dollars, so $16 is a steal. $6 is criminal!

Anybody who donated $6 should be voluntarily paying $20+ anyway.

suejak

Arbiter
Patron
Village Idiot
Ok, I finally got around to playing the demo for this, and predictably it's awesome (if a little dry).

Two complaints:

1) Why does the screen scroll? It's distracting and seems unnecessary considering the whole room fits on one screen anyway. Why does the screen need to scroll to follow my character? Is this just because I was running in the 640x480 mode?

2) Combat is good but feels a little off. It's hard to articulate what's wrong about it, but it feels very clunky. Maybe add a "duck" functionality? Would have made dodging blowdarts more fun, as otherwise it's like reverse pong where you're just trying to swing your giant paddle (2D standing character sprite) out of the way of the incoming dart.

However, the game is really really great, and I love the potential of even little things like the dial system for doors in the mage's tower. You could hide room codes in all sorts of obscure places. It was really satisfying to stumble across the Fountain Hall room code without realizing that you'd spelled it out for me in the note -- make use of that! People love to find and figure out shit like that, especially if it's not a core puzzle.

:4/5:

Mother Russia

Andhaira
Andhaira
Dumbfuck Queued
Codex 2013
Ok, I finally got around to playing the demo for this, and predictably it's awesome (if a little dry).

Two complaints:

1) Why does the screen scroll? It's distracting and seems unnecessary considering the whole room fits on one screen anyway. Why does the screen need to scroll to follow my character? Is this just because I was running in the 640x480 mode?

2) Combat is good but feels a little off. It's hard to articulate what's wrong about it, but it feels very clunky. Maybe add a "duck" functionality? Would have made dodging blowdarts more fun, as otherwise it's like reverse pong where you're just trying to swing your giant paddle (2D standing character sprite) out of the way of the incoming dart.

However, the game is really really great, and I love the potential of even little things like the dial system for doors in the mage's tower. You could hide room codes in all sorts of obscure places. It was really satisfying to stumble across the Fountain Hall room code without realizing that you'd spelled it out for me in the note -- make use of that! People love to accidentally find shit like that.

:4/5:

I've played it a bit and love it already. I use the Sierra toolbar instead of the shit verb coin (though th everb coin has a better graphic for the heat spell :P )

Haven't done combat yet. However, the Kickstarter vid comabt glimpse looked fine, kinda like QFG5 which is good because you can fight multiple opponents, unlike in previous QFGs where you can only fight one at a time. I just wish there were no standard goblins and shit though.

I also dislike the spell gem mechanic. Wish they hadn't done that but given us more spells instead. As it is, there is only the heat spell for utility purposes. I hope the combat spells can be used for non combat purposes. TBH for a mage game there appear to be very few spells per character in the entire game. What they should have done is combine the mage classes into a single Sorceror class, then offer a figher, paladin and Vagabond/Adventurer type of class. Differ the story slightly for each and you are good to go.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom