Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Indie Lurking III: Vermys

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Why didn't you start a new thread for your game dude

grimace

Arcane
What is the purpose and function of "Outdoor levels"? Is it just to be cool?
I was thinking that they would serve to add aesthetic but also bridge the story between Towne and 'Dungeon' entrance which constitutes the bulk of the game and making your way underground to the Lair. I am thinking these levels would house a few special (Troll Hole, Ancient Barrow, Abandoned Keep) locations to pick up some necessary items as well as several NPCs to get story/info flowing and also as a region to build up new characters a bit. Thing is that it's early in planning and bro said he wasn't crazy about outdoor areas so I wondered how prevalent this feeling might be amongst players. I never cared for outdoor areas in early m&m but I kind of like this if I can pull it off aesthetically.

Outdoor roads to travel between points of interest can be appreciated.

Also, did this post get moved?

I was composing a response.

edit:
Looks like it went to this thread http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/vermys.119288/

oklabsoft

oklabsoft
Developer
Any thoughts on...

1. Need to recover bodies of characters who have expired in the field for res at healer like early W.
2. Weapons and armor that dull/take damage (or even break) and must be periodically sharpened/repaired at smithy or by skill for max effect.
3. Limiting possible save game locations as opposed to save anytime.
4. Puzzles that require splitting the party (although this seems like a programming nightmare).

V_K

Arcane
Any thoughts on...

1. Need to recover bodies of characters who have expired in the field for res at healer like early W.
Would only work in combination with Nr. 3, otherwise players will just reload on defeat.
2. Weapons and armor that dull/take damage (or even break) and must be periodically sharpened/repaired at smithy or by skill for max effect.
Big yes!
Big no for me. Hate to loose progress just because I had to finish a session before reaching a save point. If you want to limit saves, better take a page from DarkSpyre's book and make them a consumable item.

4. Puzzles that require splitting the party (although this seems like a programming nightmare).
Big yes!

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Big no for me. Hate to loose progress just because I had to finish a session before reaching a save point. If you want to limit saves, better take a page from DarkSpyre's book and make them a consumable item.
Just add a "Save and quit" option available anywhere (whose corresponding save file is deleted when loaded).

oklabsoft

oklabsoft
Developer
Thx both.

CryptRat - believe that save idea is perfect for my situation.

V_K

Arcane
Just add a "Save and quit" option available anywhere (whose corresponding save file is deleted when loaded).
Players will just backup those files. I know I did. :oops:

oklabsoft

oklabsoft
Developer
Players will just backup those files. I know I did. :oops:

Hah. Good point. Guess just make the save work as 'intended' and let the player deal with the temptation as they see fit. :)

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Hehe, sure they will backup their save, yet I think it's some case of least worst option.
For example many games have consumables, spells or whatever teleporting you back to town or out of the dungeon or something (basically to the last save point) but I'm personally not that fan, or to be more precise I think this is more of a high-level kind of spell, not something you would be able to use from the start.

V_K

Arcane
You may also take a page from Grimrock's book and make it a part of difficulty setting - save anywhere on easier difficulties, but only in town/other important places on higher ones.

oklabsoft

oklabsoft
Developer
BrTnbs.png

Another concept test: The Sauermoors

oklabsoft

oklabsoft
Developer
With L2 now in good shape and hanging out for a few in beta, Vermys is starting to get some love. First, the concept test demo was worked up in an older coding language VB6. The actual game will be my first coded in my new friend C# (although I am already into a conversion of L2) which will allow for Linux and OSX versions. We have been working on integrating many of our ideas into a viable plan. A few things have been decided on direction-wise... Vermys will include many detailed text narrative descriptions of different locations as well as a text input parser and puzzles all inspired by infocom games like the zork series. We will also focus a great deal on character building and in depth role playing... Really trying to capture that early Wizardry/Bard's Tale feel. Unlike Lurking, there will likely be classes that contain a subset of skills. We do have some interesting ideas for character development within the classes as well. I will try to update as things start to develop. In the meantime, don't forget to play Lurking II.

https://oklabsoft.itch.io/lurking-ii-a-madness

oklabsoft

oklabsoft
Developer

Been experimenting with a 3D presentation of Vermys. We both are kind of liking it but its a new level of retro for me. Still much experimentation to do but if we go down this road Vermys will look more like mid MM than early Wiz.

oklabsoft

oklabsoft
Developer
Work on Vermys has continued on. Looking like we will attempt to use 3d for a nice smooth scrolling movement but we will draw to a viewport and use grid-based movement to really shoot for the early Wizardry feel. As the project begins to take shape, we have cooked up some ideas that will make Vermys seem familiar yet new that I will not share yet. One interesting idea is to give items like weapons and armor more of a custom feel. For example, a visit to the smithy and you could order up the forging of a custom sword made of a specified metal (specific stats for edge, durability, density/enc, etc), length, quality and perhaps even throw some enchantments on it if you have bank. Your new sword deserves a name too. Lots going on as we flesh this out. As far as actual concrete progress, there is currently an executable with a rough character creator, character library that saves and loads, menu-driven towne, and test dungeon. Several music pieces have been written and added. Basically, the actually game should be caught up with where I was on the vb6 proof within a month or so and it looks great. One thing we are discussing now is whether to make character classes or use a completely skill-based system. We will make a great game either way but currently leaning toward a skill based system because it will allow for far greater character customization and in effect a vastly greater number of 'classes'.

oklabsoft

oklabsoft
Developer
Been designing NPC convo system that pretty much matches that of L2 including clickable highlighted keywords and 'BACK' option. Was there anything we hated about L2 convo system or would like to see different?

oklabsoft

oklabsoft
Developer
How's the progress going?
Honestly, slowly. But always moving forward. Seems to progress in spurts and also working on another title simultaneously. Vermys has me pushing my boundaries for sure both coding and working with tools like Blender. But always moving forward. :)

Jinn

Arcane
Any update on releasing Lurking I on Steam by any chance?

Jinn

Arcane
Isn't it a free game on itchio?

He has an updated version that he was going to put on Steam. I already have a copy of the game, but I'd like to support him some more, maybe help increase visibility of the game on the platform, and have the game with the rest of my collection on Steam.

oklabsoft

oklabsoft
Developer
Looking in to if I need to set up some legit legal first or just set up with personal info. I approached an acquaintance of mine who has a legit studio legal setup already about 'publishing' it to steam for us but doesn't look like it will happen. Probably I worry too much. :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom