Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

LP pick my next LP

Which pretentiously named game should I LP?

• Brigandine: The Legend of Forsena

Votes: 17 53.1%
  • Feda: The Emblem of Justice

Votes: 9 28.1%
  • Lufia 2: Rise of the Sinistrals

Votes: 11 34.4%
  • Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen

Votes: 11 34.4%

• Total voters

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Because I'm a cunt who wants people to pass responsibility off on when I abandon it.

Going to be one of these 4 games, feel free to vote for more than one to try and exclude one you don't want to play in particular:

Brigandine.

This is the closest to a grand strategy type title, is the only one one the PSX, and is by far the longest /most likely to be abandoned.
Choice01.png

We get to pick our nation (Though you fags better not pick some hippies)
Choice02.png

I'll break my hands trying to transcribe endless walls of storyfaggotry text.
Choice03.png

We can fap over or individual unit's upgrade paths and equipment (and survival, if I play this it's going to be ironman, and theres no rez in this for monsters)
Choice04.png

And how to arrange our pokeymans, along with which ones to bother using, who to recruit/use for kngihts, etc.

Choice05.png

There is a LOT of details in all the character bios, dialogues, quests, battles dialogues, etc. I've played the game at least 7 times start to finish and probably still haven't seen about 20% of it. Even if I finish this it'll be scratching the surface.
Choice06.png

There is a fairly large continent to conquer (the only victory condition.) with some minimal strategic elements as far as income and being attacked on multiple fronts etc.
Choice07.png

Battles are turn based on a hex grid.
Choice08.png

The actual fights involve crappy 3D models that are actually animated rather nicely. Pity this was never remade for GFX whores.
Choice09.png

And as the screenshot implies here, battles don't just revolve around levels, a dragon is fucking strong, even at level 1.
Choice10.png

Also; big.

FEDA: Emblem of Justice

Turn based strategy/tactical/jrpg kind of game. Translated from moonspeak (not that well from what I saw) and the only game among the group that would be a blind LP.
Choice11.png

I think most of our army would end up being furries.
Choice12.png

Battles are turn based on a grid.
Choice13.png

But the actually attack animations/spells are done it little cutscenes.
Choice14.png

Very reminiscent of Shining Force series.
Choice15.png

Though the main character is human. Also, we have titles? Battles are scored or ranked or something? I'm not sure.
Choice16.png

And the world map is also some sort of odd turn based thing, we can encounter enemies there that start the battles.

Next up is Lufia 2:

One of my favourite jrpgs, for a lot of reasons.

Choice17.png

We will collect some pokeymans!
Choice18.png

And lots of phat lewt and stupid party members.
Choice19.png

We shall dungeon crawl and solve a lot of fairly easy puzzles that I already know the answers to, while avoiding most of the fights because the combat is rather easy.
Choice20.png

Though there is a hardmode patch I could try. I think it only makes the boss fights harder though. Anyways, battles are fun because we get about a million abilities of the course of the game.
Choice21.png

And we shall defeat legions of mostly not palette swapped enemies and turn our pokeymans into awesome firebreathing dragons and shit.

And last, we have Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen. I could have just said the first part of the name, but that's an awesome title.

Choice22.png

I'll ironman this too. There's a hardmode patch, but it's fairly bullshit and the difficulty caps early because it just maxes stats on the bosses early and sends in stronger units, which happens later on anyways. Anyways, soldiers have upgrade paths and shit, which is affected by their alignment, which changes depending on how and what they fight.
Choice23.png

We get to command a fuckton of units at once. Squads are comprised of 3-5 soldiers/monsters. Theres over a dozen special characters to recruit that bring a bunch of nice units along with them, but I could ditch a bunch of guys and make whatever units you guys want to see. Good endings are for pussies anyways.
Choice24.png

Battles are broken into scenarios on a large world map I didn't take a shot of. Theres a bit of sidequest/non linear stuff there but not really. The bulk of the gameplay is this screen and fights, the overall battle map is in real time with pause, and squads move around it capturing cities and shit, taking advantage of terrain bonuses and trying to outmanouevre enemies. Also finding treasure and shit, and trying not to brutally subjugate the townsfolk by conquering them with undead hordes when we can send in cute angels instead. Better PR with those.
Choice25.png

Actually fights are turn based, but our control isn't completely fine grained. We can order a retreat, or select one of 4 targeting priorities to follow as best the units can. At least until I get a party of 3 liches and we just faceroll everything to death with that. :troll:
Choice26.png

Pretty big unit variety in this game, between all the monsters and classes, and units having different attacks in front/back row, and in some cases multiple elements to choose from (wizards can use fire/ice/physical/lightning/unholy attack spells, for example)
Choice27.png

Also, some considerable storyfaggotry here too. Though we could potentially miss about half of it. All the cool heroes won't hang out with us if we're dicks and/or suck at the game.

So, that's the list. The poll runs until... well until I feel like actually starting my next LP. Probably at least a week from now though. SitD is a bit over half done I'd say and I have no idea how long the DoomRL LP will run for, or when the next version for it will come out and make it easier to play.

Gondolin

Arcane
None of them.

"And last, we have Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen. I could have just said the first part of the name, but that's an awesome title."

I'm impressed that a game uses the names of two Queen songs.

lightbane

Arcane
I'll break my hands trying to transcribe endless walls of storyfaggotry text.

Actually, there's a guide with the game's complete script in Gamefags, and I saw yet another one somewhere else. M:

I vote for Feda, because I never played it.

spekkio

Arcane
Voted Lufia 2 since I've heard it's great.

Completed OB myself recently and:

DR said:
trying not to brutally subjugate the townsfolk by conquering them with undead hordes when we can send in cute angels instead. Better PR with those.
Bullshit. Just own everyone with low-alignment units and then change your Reputation using cheats if necessary.

:smug:

Damned Registrations

There shall be no cheating in my :obviously: LPs.

Looks like Brigandine is going to win by a fair margin. Went and found a better PSX emulator, so the screenshots for the actual LP shouldn't have the scanlines or washed out colour these ones did. Will probably start it by the end of this weekend based on how the SitD LP is going.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
For Brigandine, I'd say you should make your screenshots smaller than in the OP. 800x600 should be enough imho. Makes the LP easier to read.

But maybe that's just me. :P

Damned Registrations

Duly noted.

Hmm, should I bother with a poll for which country to play as? If we're going to do that I may as well start it a while before I actually do any playing. I think I'll do that.

SDu0180.png

:M

Cassidy

Arcane
I didn't make a serious vote because there was no non-weeaboo PSX option like:

Vigilante_8.jpg

Look at the opportunity you just missed: you could pick the character with the armored bus and proclaim it the unofficial sequel to Let's Play Desert Bus

M:

*Edit: LP either Stalin Vs. Martians or "Desert Bus 2: Vigilante 8". Unless you wish for decline.

Damned Registrations

Now you have me wracking my brain trying to find a game I'd actually want to LP for the PSX that isn't from japan. Sadly, nothing much comes to mind. Racing games and shooters are not my cup o tea. Besides, then we'd miss out on awesome shit like brigandine, or carnage heart.

Got my screenshoting scienmajifics working. JPG works for brigandine too, so that'll cut the filesize a lot as well. I can increase the actual pixel size if you guys want me to, bandwidth is not an issue on my end.

Ba0016.jpg

Edit: Is the blue border thing really annoying? It's an artifact of the emulator keeping the proper aspect ratio. I might be able to edit that shit out but it could be a pain in the ass, since not all the screens have it.

Damned Registrations

My computer cannot into PS2 emulation, unfortunately. It is cobbled together from abaci, potatoes and bits of metal stolen from magpies.

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
That's an older version of FEDA. There's a newer translation here. Also ePSXe doesn't run Brigandine properly, it freezes up during certain battles so you'll want to use another emulator.

Damned Registrations

Yeah I'm using a much newer emulator for it, that one was handling like crap. Thanks for the translation link.

spekkio

Arcane
What do you mean 'other emulator than epsxe'?

It better be psX 1.13 or you may be...

Doing it wrong.

:rage:

Damned Registrations

Isn't that one like, 4 years old? I'm using pcsxr.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom