Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress [LP] Lord Captain, you've served your time in Hell! Codex plays Lords of Infinity, a text RPG of Politics and Warfare

I'm leaning on 1, but only because I hate welching on a word given.
Not voting yet though.

Oh just FYI, I went back to check the passage and it doesn't look like Alaric had a chance to respond to H&P before Wulfram interrupted. So no word was given. However, it is still possible that our old comrades will be disappointed if their invitation is spurned. Or maybe they will be understanding - presumably, very few people in Alaric's place would refuse an invitation from a Duke.

"But you'll come, won't you Ezinbrooke? Lord Marcus will be there, two half-pay captains from your regiment too. Blaylock and Sandoral, they was yours, weren't they?"

~my cringe ptsd narrative, blah blah blah~

You give it a thought. The promise of familiar faces and familiar subjects is a tempting one. The war was not all trumpets and glory, but some part of you still misses it. You must admit, the chance to talk about it with old comrades and acquaintances is—

"I beg pardon, I pray I am not interrupting."

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
The first really difficult choice of the book.

I do want to 'rub shoulders with the powerful', but I have a feeling that Wulfram won't like anything we have to say regardless, and that by being wishy washy, we might lock ourselves out of other opportunities.

Then again, meeting Wulfram and having a more private discussion with him might offer us insight as to his true objectives and who his allies are.

And these old war buddies are already our buddies. Hopefully they won't throw that away over a dinner invitation, but anything is possible.

I will go with:

2) "I'd be happy to accept your invitation, Your Grace."

We can at least try to gather some intel on the innerworkings of the Cortes.

Reinhardt

Arcane
sorry, will read it later, but won't vote. most of the time i have no internet right now.

Man, what a crazy fucking day.

Okay I'm flipping the flop again (FULL DISCLOSURE I am using an online dice roller and not actually doing backflips off buildings to resolve ties, I apologize for my lack of dedication to the craft)

1 = 1
2 = 2

Rolling 1d2:

Updoot in a little bit.

[Compared to the last 2 books, the choice selections in this one are often much less straightforward, sometimes downright convoluted. Fine for play but awkward for our format. Hence, updates take a bit of extra time, as I have to look ahead into the game's code to see the best way of presenting choices for each update.

The choice selection at the end of this update was particularly strange as presented in game, so I ended up "cheating" a bit by consolidating a couple of optional branches to better suit our format. A mechanically inconsequential change, but I like to be transparent about these things.]

"I'd be happy to accept your invitation, Your Grace."

"Very good," Wulfram says with a warm grin. "I shall send a coach to your lodgings at say, eight o'clock. Good evening."

Palliser hides his disappointment well as Wulfram makes his exit. "I assume this means we won't be seeing you this evening? A pity that, a real demmed pity. But I suppose if the Duke of Wulfram offers an invitation, one cannot simply refuse."

"I fear so," you reply, trying not to make your decision look like a snub. "Perhaps some other time?"

The Lancer nods and flashes you one last grin. "Yes, perhaps, but until then, I give you joy of the evening."

And with that, Palliser and Hugh disappear into the throng, leaving you alone.

---

The Duke of Wulfram's coach arrives at eight o'clock precisely. Dressed in your best frock coat and cravat, you take the short journey to re-accustom yourself with the idiosyncrasies of civilian dress. It has been weeks since you returned to Tierra and left active service, but the sensation of knee breeches and walking shoes are still an oddity to a body used to loose dragoon trousers and stiff, hobnailed boots. Hats are another vexation. The sleek bicornes which had been in fashion when the war began are now dreadfully out of date, replaced by tall, cylindrical felt hats with wide brims and flat tops.

Sometimes, you can only sigh in memory of the well-accustomed weight of your dragoon helmet upon your head. If only—

The coach lurches to a stop. You look outside the window to find yourself in an unspeakably fashionable part of the city. No townhouses here, but genuine palaces, with courtyards and carriage-houses and grand mansions done up in grand neo-calligian style. The streets are not choked with the carts and foot traffick of the poor, nor the palanquins of the wealthy, but the magnificent city coaches of families capable of maintaining such an extravagant expense even in this, the most extravagantly expensive of cities.

Indeed, that appears to be the problem.

Had this been any other street in the city, the flow of traffick would have continued, edging past any blockage which might ensue. But there's no squeezing a full-sized coach through the situation you see before you, for the entire length of the street ahead is stopped up by a long queue of such conveyances. At its head, a great crowd of well-heeled passerby and their liveried servants are staring at…at something, and raising no small amount of commotion in doing so.

It seems you are going nowhere anytime soon.

Maybe the coachman knows what's the matter.
You rap your hand against the lacquered roof of the coach, once, twice.

There's a series of thumps from outside as the cabin shifts to one side, then the other. A moment later, a tall, burly fellow in the blue-and-silver tunic and trousers of House Candless steps up to the window. "Is there a problem, my lord?" he asks in a rough baritone, covered with a barely noticeable Wulframite accent.

"Why have we stopped?" you demand.

The coachman tries to look forward, only to turn back, a hint of frustration on his blocky features.

"Pardon me a moment, my lord," he says before climbing back onto the coach. Again, you are rocked side to side as he clambers to the top and then clambers back down again.

When he returns, he seems no more satisfied than before. "Some sort of accident up ahead, my lord," he reports. "Looks like a machine of some sort sprawled out on the road. Lots of smoke coming from it, never seen such a thing before in me life."

"A machine? What sort of machine?"

"I—I can't rightly say, my lord," the coachman admits. "A big iron tube, with lots of little tubes around it. Saw some brasswork too, I think. Reminds me a bit of the mechanical water looms we had in the mill back home, but I don't think any of those had chimneys."

He pauses for a moment, brow furrowed in thought, then shakes his head.

"I'm sorry, my lord. Maybe it's some sort of new contraption they have in the capital," he concludes. "I've only been here a few weeks myself."

"How long before the thing's removed?"

"I can't say, my lord," the coachman admits. "I didn't see any sort of cart, so whatever animals pulling the saintsbedamned thing must have bolted—" He stops himself. "Ah, pardon my tongue, my lord."

"I've heard worse," you reply mildly. "I have been a soldier these past twelve years."

"His grace does not condone coarse language in his house, my lord," the coachman explains. "Again, I apologise if I have caused any offense."

In truth, you cannot bear to bring yourself to care one way or the other. How Wulfram deals with his household is his affair, and the affair of his lady wife. "What about the road?" you ask, bringing the conversation back to the matter at hand. "Will it be cleared soon?"

The coachman shakes his head. "I do not think so, my lord. We may be in for a long wait."

So much for that. You send the coachman back to his duties. Ahead, the crowd seems to have gotten even larger.

1) I go and look to see what's going on.

2) I wait. Whatever the issue is, I'm sure it will be resolved soon.

---

As of the Autumn of the 613 of the Old Imperial Era:

Sir Alaric d'al Ortiga, Baron Ezinbrooke
Captain, Royal Dragoons (half-pay)

Current Funds: 1754 Crown
Debts: 10860 Crown

Bi-Annual Income (Personal): 135 Crown

Soldiering: 75%

Charisma: 43%

Intellect: 5%

Health: 65%

Idealism: 61% Cynicism: 39%

Ruthlessness: 39% Mercy: 61%

You are a Knight of the Red, having the right to wear Bane-hardened armour and wield a Bane-runed sword.

Friends and Associates
Javier Campos: Colour Sergeant, the Royal Dragoons.
(Born 583 OIE)

Victor d'al Reyes: Eldest son of Baron Reyes. Major, the 8th Regiment of Foot. Formerly Commander, the Experimental Corps of Riflemen.
(Born: 583 OIE)

James d'al Sandoral: Captain (half-pay), the Royal Dragoons.
(Born 592 OIE)

Enemies

Hiir Cassius vam Holt: Takaran Ambassador to Tierra. Eldest son to Richsgraav vam Holt.
(Born 527 OIE)

Eleanora d'al Welles): Countess Welles. Proponent of Military Reform. Friend to Isobel, the Princess-Royal. (Born 587 OIE)

Last edited:

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
We'll probably get our coat dirty and screw up the event in 1, but we may screw up the event by waiting just the same.

Going with 1)

[Early update, then.]

I go and look to see what's going on.

You rap your knuckles against the roof again. After a moment, the coachman is back by the window. "Yes, my lord?"

"I mean to go on ahead, see what's the matter," you reply.

The coachman looks towards the commotion ahead, then back to you, then back forward, like a clockwork sculpture with a broken cog. Finally, he turns back with a look of resignation and pulls open the door. "Very well, my lord."

You pick your way up the street, careful not to let your soft-soled shoes slip on the slick cobbles—what you would do for a pair of heavy boots right about now—and find yourself joining the rear of the great mass of men and women clustered around the source of the blockage. For a moment, you consider clearing your throat to draw attention to yourself. Were you still in Antar, and were this a crowd of junior officers, such a thing would have been only natural. Faced with a superior officer, they would have cleared the way as a matter of course.

But you are no longer in Antar, or even an officer on the active list. You are merely one gentleman, moderately well-dressed, in a crowd full of them. Instead you resort to jostling and edging your way through the crevices in the throng, until at last, you can get a good view of the cause of all this commotion.

It is not in the least what you could have expected.

---

In the clearing ahead, a small-framed man in a soot-stained grey jacket converses excitedly with a pair of Intendancy constables. As he gesticulates wildly with one hand, he wipes at his face with the other, his handkerchief coming away stained grey and black with soot.

Yet the crowd pays them no mind. Indeed, their attention seems to be drawn completely and fully to the contraption sprawled out on the cobblestones, right in the middle of the street.

It is certainly an impressively sized machine, a massive cylinder of wrought iron atop four hugely reinforced wheels, linked together by a spindly mass of rods, sprockets, and pistons. A narrow smokestack is perched atop the frame, though whatever exhaust it might have channelled now pours out the ruptured side of the giant iron chamber, its skin burst open like a sheet of tin by a musket ball. A quartet of limbered cannon sit tethered behind the thing, their presence made forgettable by their sheer mundanity next to such an outlandish machine.

You take a closer look at the machine, but you can't make heads or tails of it. Certainly the very design is a marvel of engineering, and its purpose seems obvious given its location and the presence of its wheels. Yet—

That's when you notice that you're not the only one trying to take a closer look at the machinery. Indeed, not half a dozen paces away from you, two figures observe the thing as they converse quietly to each other. One you recognise as the Duke of Wulfram. The other is no less a familiar face: the Earl of Castermaine, formerly General-of-Brigade in the King's Army. What are they doing here?

I must examine that machine more closely.

You come closer, as close as you dare, given that you are examining a machine which has—judging by the scorch marks on the cobblestone and the debris strewn everywhere—recently exploded.

Unfortunately, you find very little which your first look didn't already uncover. The device's intended purpose as some sort of vehicle is simple enough to discern, as is the reason for its catastrophic failure, but as for the workings of the device itself, those are beyond you.

Perhaps there is some novel conceit behind the machine's operation. That would certainly explain the lack of any draught animals or other evident form of motive force. But whatever it is, that is a topic for the discussion of engineers and craftsmen and other such mechanically minded people, not you.

How is the crowd taking all this?

Out of the entire mass of humanity gathered around the machine, you suppose you must be singular in your attention towards the observers, rather than the device they are observing.

In truth though, you find very little of interest. The crowd bears exactly the sort of emotions you might expect of a group of people observing a mechanical curiosity in a state of distress: anxiety, curiosity, a bit of marvel, a bit of fear. Granted, they are, perhaps, a bit more calm than you would have expected from individuals who have just watched a strange machine explode on the street in front of them, but that is hardly out of the ordinary.

No, if there is any insight to be found in the crowd, it is not for the likes of you to find.

I take a look at that cannon.

Turning your eyes from the centre of the spectacle, you direct your attention to the cannon instead.

At first glance, there is naught amiss with the guns. They're heavy twenty-four-pounders on a field gun carriage, you've seen the like many times before. The weapon itself seems perfectly serviceable and perfectly normal. Perhaps they're on loan from one of the royal armouries. That would mean the Intendancy men were assigned to ensure they weren't lost. The only real question you can think of pertains to their purpose: what are they doing tied to such an outlandish device?

At first, you can only think that the guns were to be used as some sort of anchor, to ensure the machine did not roll away somehow. It is an improbable and impractical explanation to be sure, there are much easier ways to anchor a wheeled cart, most of which do not involve rolling artillery down a publick street, but perhaps there's some other reason.

That's when you realise something else. The gun carriages are strung out, one after the other, single-file, like knots on a rope. To your mind, seasoned by years in close proximity to artillery, only one circumstance could possibly arrange the guns thus, which means the explanation for this entire curious tableau is both more improbable and simpler than you could have first imagined.

In short, whatever the machine is, it was dragging four heavy guns by itself.

On its face, the thought is ludicrous: it takes two dozen horses to pull a load that heavy, but the evidence cannot be gainsaid. Those cannon were being pulled, and that machine was doing the pulling.

Best I speak to Wulfram and Castermaine.

The Duke of Wulfram looks up as he sees you approaching.

"Lord Ezinbrooke?" he asks, a sudden look of worry on his face. "Where is Forsythe? I ordered him to take you all the way to the club."

"He's still with the coach, Your Grace," you reply. "I saw the commotion and came to take a look for myself."

Wulfram accepts your answer with a nod. "I cannot blame you." He waves a hand at the iron machine before you. "Quite the marvel, isn't it?"

"A marvellous waste of time and effort, perhaps," Castermaine grumbles. "Forgive me, Wulfram, but I fail to see the point of such an extravagance. What wisdom is there in committing such prodigious amounts of material and labour for the sake of…whatever in creation this is."

That begs an interesting question. "I must beg your pardon, but what is this device exactly?"

"I believe it is called a 'traction engine,'" Wulfram replies. "It uses a vapour engine to provide motive force without the use of draught animals. There have been quite a few such experiments in Aetoria over the past few years. More in Tannersburg, as well."

"A passing fad, no doubt," Castermaine grumbles. "It's all young men with too much money and too little sense seeing firms like Garing, Gutierrez, and Truscott make money with their new designs for artillery and thinking they can do the same, only with ridiculous contraptions like this instead of something practical."

Wulfram frowns. "Unlike cannon, these 'ridiculous contraptions,' as you call them, may have use in ways beyond making it easier for us to kill one another. A traction engine like that one could be of great use pulling heavy loads."

"A team of horses can do the same work," Castermaine replies with a hint of exasperation. "I have no doubt that a team of horses is a great deal cheaper to acquire and maintain than that monstrosity, as well. Besides…" He nudges his chin at the gouts of steam roiling from the traction engine's wounded flank. "Horses don't explode."

Wulfram inclines his head thoughtfully. "Perhaps you are right, but some of the innovations we've seen over the past few years have certainly been of use. The new streetlamps, for instance. Some of the men running my mining companies have begun using vapour engines to pump water out of deep shafts. Surely, if this war has brought us any positive legacy, it is the wave of invention which it has spurred."

For his part, Castermaine seems less than convinced. "It is a passing fashion, nothing more," he replies. "Give things a few years, and we will all suddenly be taken by some other fancy, and we will realise that water wheels and draught horses were better after all. Machines like this one will be set up as curiosities in some publick square or other, where they belong."

The Duke of Wulfram doesn't reply at first. Then, his brow still furrowed in thought, he turns to you. "What do you think, Ezinbrooke?"

1) "I fear Lord Castermaine has the right of it. Such inventions are a fad, no more."
2) "I think these new inventions may be the heralds of a new age of progress."
3) "I would advise patience, see how these inventions develop before making a judgement."
4) "I cannot say, sir. I am too ignorant of this matter to form an opinion."

---

You are a Knight of the Red, having the right to wear Bane-hardened armour and wield a Bane-runed sword.

Friends and Associates

(Born 583 OIE)

Victor d'al Reyes: Eldest son of Baron Reyes. Major, the 8th Regiment of Foot. Formerly Commander, the Experimental Corps of Riflemen.

(Born 592 OIE)

Enemies

Hiir Cassius vam Holt: Takaran Ambassador to Tierra. Eldest son to Richsgraav vam Holt.
(Born 527 OIE)

Eleanora d'al Welles): Countess Welles. Proponent of Military Reform. Friend to Isobel, the Princess-Royal. (Born 587 OIE)

Kalarion

Serial Ratist
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
3) "I would advise patience, see how these inventions develop before making a judgement."

An opinion is like a boot-sheathed dagger. No competent Dragoon goes without one wherever he goes.

...Although our barbarian bro has the right of it that we're not the ones to venture an exciting hot take on anything not involving slaughtering other soldiers in open battle. When understanding is out of reach, caution is usually warranted and always at least prudent.

"I would advise patience, see how these inventions develop before making a judgement."

Castermaine nods in approval. "An eminently sensible compromise, one would think."

Wulfram, however, seems to be of a different mind. "If we have the opportunity to seize an advantage now, then it would be inadvisable to squander it by inaction," he notes. "The men who make such machines do not possess infinite patience, nor infinite funds. Should they feel unwelcome in Tierra, they may take their expertise elsewhere, Takara or Kian."

"Then the Kian and the Takarans are welcome to them," Castermaine grouses. "Let them waste their Richstaler and their Quai'tianne on these ridiculous devices instead."

"And if these machines prove less than ridiculous?" the Duke asks. "In the right hands, such devices may put our own manufacturers on the same footing as those of the Great Powers. In the wrong ones, they will only serve to strangle our own trade by flooding our markets with their own, more cheaply made goods. If—"

---

A fresh commotion rises from the crowd as the clatter of hooves and the high clanging of handbells echoes down the street. The throng parts to reveal another pair of Intendancy constables, followed by a pony-drawn pump cart bearing the colours of one of Aetoria's private fire companies.

"Well, it seems there is nothing more to see here," Wulfram declares as the Intendancy men begin to examine the machine and the crowd finally begins to disperse. "We'd best get moving, the club is only a block down. Castermaine, when we get indoors, might I oblige you to send your man to retrieve Forsythe and my coach?"

Castermaine nods but eyes the still-steaming traction engine warily. "It might be a while before the road is clear. Her Grace may take issue with your lateness. Take my coach instead."

"No worry," Wulfram replies with a slight grin. "The Duchess knows exactly where I am, and I dare hope she trusts me enough not to think ill of me for getting home late." With that, he points his hand down the street, to where the crowd is already melting away into the gaslit gloom. "Now then, shall we get going?"

---

The premises of the Rendower Club are practically a palace in their own right. Past the wrought-iron gate and liveried guards, Wulfram leads you through polished oaken doors into an entry hall hung with row upon row of banners emblazoned with the crests of the House of Rendower and its cadet branches. The music of a chamber orchestra wafts down the plushly carpeted corridor from somewhere not too far away. The names of members and former members line the elegantly panelled walls in gilt script, glittering in the lamplight as you pass them by.

Then it is past a reflecting pool topped by a statue of Edwin the Strong and up a staircase, its bannisters worked with gryphons and towers. More footmen await at the top of the stairs. Wulfram and Castermaine hand them their coats and hats without breaking step. You try to do the same. At long last, yet another pair of attendants open a pair of double doors, and the three of you enter into the sanctum beyond… The stateroom of the Rendower Club is filled with the smoky aroma of expensive liquor and the buzz of masculine voices. Everywhere you look, you can see figures in perfectly tailored jackets lounging about in elegant armchairs at tables of the finest Butean wood, drinking, chatting, and generally taking their ease.

Wulfram and Castermaine bring you to each group in turn, introducing you to a selection of names, faces, and titles. You receive a cool reception from most. You're not sure what it is that makes you think as much, but there's something off about the way they introduce themselves, a…hesitation, perhaps? It seems your position in the Cortes has made you less welcome here than Wulfram would evidently like you to be.

You try to take your lumps gracefully. The men in this room are some of the foremost in the Unified Kingdom. Even if you are not acquainted with them personally, you can recognise the titles of some of the greatest landowners, financiers, and statesmen in the realm, each passing before you just long enough for you to recognise, and no longer.

In truth, it looks as if the whole of Aetoria's men of high society are here. Only the soldiers are absent. Aside from you and Castermaine, it seems there are few military men here, and when you make inquiries, it appears that almost all of them have spent the entire war at either Grenadier Square or Admiralty House.

Before long, you cannot but begin to feel a little out of place in your surroundings. You've spent most of your adult life as a soldier. In that time, you've become accustomed to being judged as a soldier, for your ability to lead men into battle, not your politickal stances. To be at peace, among men who have spent their entire lives at peace, is an alien experience. Though Wulfram and Castermaine endeavour to make you welcome, you begin to long for a time when the men you spoke to identified more by regiment than by fashion or faction.

When a liveried footman enters to announce that dinner is to be served, it's almost a relief.

---

As the guest of honour, you are placed at Wulfram's right-hand side at the head of the table. As the first round of aperitifs are brought out by yet more liveried footmen, the topic of conversation once again turns to the traction engine, with Wulfram enthusiastically extolling its potential to transform the Unified Kingdom's industry, and Castermaine discounting the entire thing as a pointless extravagance.

In a way, they are recapitulating the arguments they made before you not an hour ago, but this time, they do it for the benefit of a much larger audience.

Before long, other club members are joining in with their own thoughts on the matter. By the time the first round of drinks are taken away and the soup is brought out, two friendly but clearly defined factions have formed, one supporting Wulfram, and the other Castermaine. In between mouthfuls of a particularly fine Kian consommé, they argue the matter back and forth, debating the possibility of using vapour engines in fields as diverse as agriculture, road-building, and even the propulsion of ships—a possibility which even Wulfram must admit is patently absurd.

"In any case, I fear that this discussion may yet be premature," Wulfram remarks ruefully as the soup course is being taken away. "Any effect these machines might possibly have on the state of the realm will be severely curtailed, so long as the baneless classes do not have the capital to purchase them or the goods they produce. I fear that as long as His Majesty insists on placing the needs of his army before the needs of the commons, we shall be hard-pressed to maintain the industries we have."

Heads nod, almost in unison. In this, at least, the membership of the Rendower Club seems to be in agreement.

"Then let us not put the cannon before the limber," Castermaine interjects sourly. "Why speak of these fantasies of vapour engines when we must first convince the King to put an end to his war taxes and reduce the army?"

"Indeed," Wulfram replies. "If the realm must beggar itself to support the implements of war, we shall never be able to flourish in peace." He turns to you. "Would you not agree, Lord Ezinbrooke?"

1. "I would agree wholeheartedly, sir."

"That was not, I believe, the position that my lord took in the Cortes chamber this afternoon..."

a) "I was speaking publickly then; I speak candidly now."
b)
"In truth, you have convinced me otherwise."

"I fear I cannot agree sir, the army must be maintained."

"I am sure Lord Ezinbrooke has his reasons for believing as he does..."

a) "Victory has made us more vulnerable, not less."
b) "The army must retain the lessons we have learned."
c)
"It would be unjust to rob officers of their commissions by disbanding their commands."
d)
"Without an army, the Crown would be left with no real power."

"Can we not find a way to maintain the army and end the war taxes?"

"And I trust one already has a measure of some sort in mind...?"

a) "What of the reparations we are owed from Antar?"
b)
"Could we not seek economies elsewhere?"
c)
"Perhaps there is some way to redistribute the burden of taxation?"

[Vote for a combination of one numbered choice and one of its lettered sub-choices - for instance, 1a, or 2d, etc - representing your main position and its follow-up justification.

I also want to note that I culled the choice selection slightly from the default. Normally you could suggest both maintaing the army and ending the war taxes as justification for agreeing with Wulfram, but that would simply take you to branch 3, so I removed that option to simplify things. Again, barely changes anything, just wanted to be t r a n s p a r e n t]

---

Friends and Associates

(Born 583 OIE)

(Born 592 OIE)

Enemies

(Born 527 OIE)

"I fear I cannot agree sir, the army must be maintained."

"I am sorry to hear that you think that way," Wulfram replies with a look of disappointment.

"One must have realised by now just what a sorry state our country is in," Castermaine interjects. "For the past twelve years, the Crown has committed every resource it could mobilise into the establishment and maintenance of an army which could defeat the Antari, but in doing so, it has brought the country to the brink of ruin. For the sake of victory, the kingdom is deeper in debt than it has ever been in its history. If one could know how many tens of millions of crown we owe to banking houses in Varsovia and H'wuoshanne, one would not prize the maintenance of the army so."

Wulfram raises a placating hand towards Castermaine. "I am sure Lord Ezinbrooke has his reasons for believing as he does," he replies gently. "Let us do the courtesy of allowing him to deliver them."

"Victory has made us more vulnerable, not less."

"I fear that is a rather bizarre statement on its face," Wulfram observes. "One is generally given to understand that vanquishing one's enemies makes one more secure."

"In ordinary cases, perhaps," you concede, "but not in ours."

Castermaine leans in. "And what would our case be, my lord?"

"We have just defeated the League of Antar, a great power of the Infinite Sea, in a war of their devising, in conditions of their choosing," you explain. "I doubt such an achievement has gone unnoticed by Kian or Takara. To them, we have made ourselves seem like a force worth reckoning with, either as a valuable ally or a potential threat. They will seek to either draw us into their sphere of influence, or destroy us so that their rival cannot. In either case, a strong army will be vital in ensuring that Tierra remains neutral in their conflict."

"Surely one does not presume to believe that our army could stop the likes of the Takaran Richshyr!" Castermaine scoffs. "As much as it pains me as a soldier to admit, a Takaran infantry company could quite easily outfight the whole of one of our battalions. If anything, one would imagine that the Takarans and the Kian would see our army as the main prize of any subjugation of Tierra: a relatively well-armed and experienced force to augment their own. In such a circumstance, the maintenance of the army leaves us more vulnerable, not less."

You're not sure you have a response to that, and the longer you try to find one, the worse the rhetorical hole into which you have dug yourself seems to be.

"Castermaine raises a good point, my lord," Wulfram observes. "Surely you have some answer?"

---

Before you have a chance to reply, you are interrupted by the opening of the doors at the far end of the dining room.

In strides a slim young man with an air that is half dandy and half king. His hair is cut and tousled in the latest fashion, his jacket and waistcoat fitted just so, and cut just daringly enough to transcend the limits of the fashionable to touch the realm of the radical. A tiny scrap of white silk protrudes from under his jacket, and an enamelled pin bearing a white rose sparkles on his breast.

"Good evening!" he announces as he makes his way towards the head of the table. "I ain't missed much, have I?"

"You are late," Castermaine replies acidly, his exasperation mastering his courtesy. "And you have missed a great deal, Your Grace."

Recognition hits you between the eyes. There are only five dukes in the Tierran Peerage. The King serves as one, the Duke of Aetoria. Neither Havenport nor your old commanding officer, the Duke of Cunaris, are in the capital. With Wulfram sitting next to you, that must mean the man now approaching your side of the room is—

"My lord," Wulfram begins as he stands from his chair. "May I introduce His Grace, the Duke of Warburton."

---

So this is Warburton.

You've heard stories about him. It is practically an open secret that he was not the old Duke's biological son but a bastard sired upon his mother, the Duchess, by one of her paramours. Likewise the fact that he was only "confirmed" as legitimate because there was nobody else who could inherit. There are even wilder speculations: that young Warburton's claim to royal blood comes directly from the man purported to be his real sire, the famously lecherous old King Edmund IV—a rumour which would make Warburton the King's half-brother.

Not that you have the time to speculate on such matters. Even in these closed circumstances, the decencies must be preserved. When Wulfram introduces you in turn, you stand and bow, as a baron ought to when presented to a duke.

Warburton himself doesn't seem to care much for such deference. "No need for that, my lord, we're all equals at this table," he replies with a flash of a grin. "But do budge over a bit, will you? I'm famished…"

---

Within seconds, footmen are springing into action, bringing an additional chair to the table, followed by a fresh set of plates, silverware, and a napkin. It seems that this has not been the first time Warburton has arrived at the dining room mid-meal.

"I see I've already missed the soup," the young duke notes with a tinge of petulance as he settles into his chair between you and Wulfram. "A damned shame, that."

"You are more than an hour late, Your Grace," Castermaine points out with a tone better suited for addressing an impudent child than one of the wealthiest and most powerful men in the Unified Kingdom. "Perhaps if one had been more punctual, one would be less hungry."

"Impossible, I'm afraid," Warburton replies as he leans back into a languid slouch. "Pressing business, couldn't let it go unanswered."

"Intelligence business, was it, Your Grace?" someone asks bluffly from the other side of the table. A round of chuckles follow in its wake.

Warburton replies with a look that somehow manages to be sly and boastful at the same time. "Oh no, nothing like that. Not even toil for Crown and Kingdom would keep me away from this table," he replies grandiloquently. "This was a rather different sort of intelligence gathering. Under-covers work, you could say."

Half the table chuckles at that one. Castermaine lets out a sigh of exasperation. Wulfram's eyes narrow as he reaches into Warburton's jacket and pulls out the bit of silk you noticed earlier for all to see: a lady's stocking, still smelling of perfume.

Under-covers work, indeed.

He gives his fellow Duke a meaningful look. "Might I inquire as to whom this may belong to?"

"And sully the reputation of a lady? Don't be ridiculous, Wulfram," Warburton replies with a mock look of offense as he snatches the stocking away and stuffs it into his pocket. "If you are so very curious as to her identity, you shall have to come along with me."

Another round of laughter. You swear you actually see Wulfram's cheeks redden. "You know I cannot do that," he replies with as much sternness as he can muster.

"And what about you then, Lord Ezinbrooke?" Warburton asks as he turns to you. "Are you the rollicking sort? You could cut quite a swathe with that soldierly figure of yours."

1a) "I fear I cannot approve of or condone such conduct."
1b) "I do not think I've the temperament for such activity."
1c) "Perhaps I am. I've not tried it yet."
1d) "It certainly sounds like an interesting way to spend an evening."
1e) "My word, that does sound rather exciting."

Wulfram says to you in his coach several hours later as you rattle through the midnight streets towards your lodgings...

"I fear that without some useful occupation or steady influence, he shall merely dissipate himself and come to no good."

2a) "Does he lack such occupation, Your Grace?"
2b) "Why not you, Your Grace?"
2c) "I must agree, more discipline will do him good."
2d) "Perhaps he will mature with age?"
2e) "With respect sir, what makes it your business to judge?"
2f) "He is yet young, he ought to be able to enjoy himself."

[If it is not apparent, in 2. we are speaking about Warburton, with Wulfram, in a private setting.

Please vote for both 1. and 2, and I will once again count these votes as a set as opposed to individually.

For the record: while Alaric did not make the best impression during the dinner, it could have been worse. It could have also been better - at least one of the other options actually relied on a stat check that you could have passed, and there were others that could have made a good impression without relying on stats. Just wanted to make it clear that Alaric attributes, while tricky to work with, do not doom him to failing every social challenge he comes across.]

---

Friends and Associates

(Born 583 OIE)

(Born 592 OIE)

Enemies

(Born 527 OIE)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom