Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

LP DX:HR: non-lethal, no augs - FINISHED

baronjohn

Cipher
Yes, but will I be able to do it without augmentations, and without killing anyone? We shall see...

baronjohn said:
Yes, but will I be able to do it without augmentations, and without killing anyone? We shall see...
Yep, it's definitely doable, but may take a few reloads, since 1-2 of the mercs sometimes end up in the robot's explosion radius.

baronjohn

Cipher
Chapter 5, Heng Sha 2

Bad news bros, I accidentally deleted all my screenshots except these that I'd already moved elsewhere for upload. Luckily there are no interesting conversations in this part part to transcribe.

Also, B-EE gets redirected
zPTWs.png

Oh shit, a SAM
P9Szg.png

It's an EMP. Jensen prepares to jump
SpBtn.png

He jumps onto a roof just before the crash
e6VgM.png

This fight was easier than I remembered. I threw 3 gas granades forward just as got to cover, then the robot came and I emp'd it, then I tranq'd everyone else
4IxK1.jpg

Except the last guy. I pulled down his pants and had hot mansex with him
RYyM9.jpg

Friend helicopter regens her health and flies off
iRAZy.jpg

I just check to make sure none of them were killed by the bot explosion
Dfnmb.jpg

Time to ride the elevator
kp7v7.jpg

Jensen spazzes out again in the street.
3bgX9.jpg

Looks like he's not the only one having problems.
ycPLI.jpg

Pritchard says there's a mass recall of a certain biochip and that I can get it replaced at a LIMB clinic. Yeah, not sure about that...
lAfSy.jpg

Once there we get distracted by a doctor. He wants us to find a rogue blackwater merc
bPS9M.jpg

We also get a message from Darrow. He has a job for us. His agent is ready to meet us on the roof here.
Qa82I.jpg

This woman wants me to get back a biochip from some "corporate terrorists". A biochip, huh? Interesting coincidence. Maybe these terrorists are actually the good guys?
9DOpa.png

I also find the butcher shop the doctor was talking about
DhkC3.png

All that's there is a dead blackwater merc who was looking for the guy we're looking for. He has a PDA saying that Zelazny is hiding in the Diagong sewers. We should go there.
VOE3L.png

While I'm there I put the "terrorists" to sleep. Looking back, this was probably the wrong thing to do. But I don't think there's any C&C here.
cTEPL.png

There they are.
HAPpj.jpg

Jensen talks to this guy who says he was a black ops operative installed with a chip used to lower his inhibitions and wipe his memory between operations. But the chip malfunctioned and he started remembering, and he didn't like what he remembered. He decided that his bosses have to pay and started killing them.

You know what, I'm OK with that. Godspeed, man.
rYWh2.jpg

On the way back an enterprizing citizen tries to blackmail Jensen, but he won't have any of that.
nvAFp.jpg

There are no more guards at Hengsha Court Gardens so it's time to loot everything.
IqgjU.jpg

We return the chip
dOp5O.png

That's all the side-missions. Time to do the main quest.

They won't let me go where I need to go :(
yMi0v.jpg

Gas them. I was surprised to see how effective a gas grenade is. In DX1 they were so useless.
lQc1C.jpg

Ugh
nwaQc.png

Ooh, a laser rifle battery.
J6qCa.jpg

Using a box to get by a turret. Crude, but effective.
n03Yu.png

At the end we meet... Tong? Tong is wearing Sevchenko's arm. Apparently Sevchenko is dead. Well this is a dead-end. But Tong says he might know where the other scientists are, but first we have to rescue his son.
Hj4Uj.png

Ooh, a laser rifle. This thing can punch through walls. Sure to come in handy. I drop the 10mm, some grenades, the viruses, etc. to make room for it.
Ck0sX.png

Alright, back to the Diagong sewers. We find our contact who gives us a device intended for Tracer Tong
pe6EB.png

Sneak
on3f2.jpg

Some vent crawling and we come out here
XDfpJ.jpg

I started to drag a body when they saw me. I just continued to drag it into cover then waited until they came to investigate and zapped them too.
r0IuB.png

We find Tracer Tong. He's not too happy to see Jensen, but agrees to leave anyway. The device we had was a cloaking device. Tong disappears.
TLm0n.jpg

On the way back I find this vent on the roof that goes to the Harvester's lair. Inside is an elevator shaft, but you can get down just fine without any augs. Doh.
JpMti.jpg

Papa Tong is pleased. He opens up a door leading to the a Hengsha dock where TYM has a shipping operation. He says the scientists are whereever the ship goes.
UD6EU.png

Jensen's chip fails again. No time to get the new chip though. I have a mission to do.
BzyOz.png

Hmm. Good question.
yXkD9.jpg

Alright we take a couple of turns and find ourselves... outside Heng Sha?! That's some non-Euclidean geometry there man.
2Kq7L.jpg

I make myself a path with the revolver
D8iF2.png

I'm gonna take these guys out.
KBjJh.jpg

A very useful fact is that Jensen can fire the stun gun without aiming it. It's hugely inaccurate, but very useful if the enemy is just coming around the corner.
hTf7D.jpg

Tong left a package. It's an explosive to be used as a distraction so we can sneak aboard.
WzLcM.jpg

I don't really need a distraction since I've taken out everyone, but the game demands it
TZ68J.jpg

Got inside through a vent
v2QXG.png

Sneak
z75I8.png

They saw me sneaking, so ran up onto the roof
iaVDw.png

After a while I realize there's a vent up here.
HQkKc.png

Leading exactly where we want to go. Jensen sets the timer to 6, thinking it's minutes. It's actually seconds.
bqtfJ.jpg

Jensen, are you sure those augmentations aren't leaking lead into your blood? Because you're looking increasingly retarded.
Stete.png

Tracer Tong is also leaving.
swyof.png

Jensen sneaks into a container. It's not like we could watch the ship from orbit, or a plane, or anything. No, we have to sneak into a container.
crck7.png

That concludes Heng Sha.

baronjohn

Cipher
Chapter 6, Omega Ranch

Dzensen wakes up in his cryobed after a couple of days.
U7zYC.png

JqUhb.jpg
Jensen...? My God! You've been off-line for days! Where the hell are you?
c69vM.png
I was hoping you'd tell me.
JqUhb.jpg
I'm pinging you now. You're in... Singapore?!

So next door to Heng Sha?

JqUhb.jpg
Something's wrong, Jensen. I pinged you -- and a second later I lost your G-P-L signal. It's like you disappeared into a black hole.
c69vM.png
Gotta be a jammer.
JqUhb.jpg
Well obviously. If you can find the transmitter and take it off line, I'll be able to track you. And keep you on a tighter leash.
c69vM.png
I've got more important things to do than help you keep tabs on me. If Megan and her team are here, there's no time to waste.

Shaddap, Jensen. There's always time to stack some boxes.
wJXHQ.jpg

Inside is an ammo capacity upgrade, just what we needed. 700 should do the trick.
sxnzv.jpg

D...Darrow? Isn't that the billionaire who invented augmentations and runs a geo-engineering project in the arctic? That's not good. Maybe we should tell someone? Call Sarif? Nah. I'm sure it can wait.
zoLBl.png

Alright so that's the jammer.
jtNih.png

We stun the guy walking by it and store him along with the others.
3Z0SC.jpg

We sneak in through a window
D26Wh.jpg

Zap. There are some useful codes to be gained here from their PDAs.
NHfTw.png

Jensen turns off the jammer.
8dD3p.png

Nothing here.
buWJW.jpg

Alright time to go inside.
lh8rm.png

This is a hard area to sneak in without cloak. Really.
YjlFy.jpg

Eventually they stopped coming. The whole building went to sleep.
HNUa6.jpg

We find our first scientist.
MRnzS.png

I'm gonna use the same icon for all of them since we won't see them again anyway.

c69vM.png
Nice to see you too, Doctor Colvin.
J8ll5.jpg
What? Wait a second... I know you! You were Sarif's security guy. Way to protect our asses.
c69vM.png
Check the attitude, doc. I nearly died trying to save you.
J8ll5.jpg
Oh, and now you're here to take us back. Well maybe, I don't wanna go. Maybe I've got more here than I ever had at Sarif!
c69vM.png
Would Vasili Sevchenko agree with that? They execute him and dumped his body in a ditch.
J8ll5.jpg
That's not true!
c69vM.png
Believe it. Unless these murderers have you so brainwashed you don't mind building their toys.
J8ll5.jpg
It wasn't a toy. It... it was a software upgrade, that limits functionalities in a biochip. They told me it was for crowd control!... Is Vasili really dead? You saw the body?
c69vM.png
What was left of it.
J8ll5.jpg
Oh my God. I should have listened to him.
c69vM.png
Dr. Colvin, I need to locate the rest of the team, but Doctor Reed's G-P-L isn't broadcasting.
J8ll5.jpg
She's in the secured zone. There are guards everywhere.
c69vM.png
Then I need a way to get the guards out. A distraction. Maybe a lab accident? What do you say?
J8ll5.jpg
After what those bastards did to Vasili? Of course! But one minor incident in this lab won't be enough.
c69vM.png
No, but if a couple of other labs go up... simultaneously.
J8ll5.jpg
Declan and Eric -- of course! Interesting idea, Mr. Jensen. Ambitious, but risky... The timing will be critical.
c69vM.png
I'll coordinate the attack, but you understand that this could all backfire.
J8ll5.jpg
I'm no shrinking violet, Mr. Jensen. But... there may be another issue.
c69vM.png
They're tracking your G-P-Ls, aren't they... I've been wondering how to get around that.
J8ll5.jpg
Smart man... just like Vasili. He had a plan to shutdown their tracking and jamming protocols using a virus. Maybe Declan or Eric know something more about it.
c69vM.png
Okay. Wait for my signal Doctor Colvin. When your G-P-L starts to vibrate, set off the distraction.
J8ll5.jpg
I understand. And-- I'm sorry for what I said earlier.

The other guy is also in this building.

V3dXr.png

c69vM.png
Not exactly.

J8ll5.jpg
Listen, Jensen... They forced me to work for them. I didn't want to create the new biochip, especially since it was based on Sarif's research, but... they didn't give me a choice.
c69vM.png
No one doubts your loyalty, Dr. Koss. Do you know what they planned to do with this new biochip?
J8ll5.jpg
I'm not sure. They said something about having Tai Yong Medical produce it and distribute it through LIMB, but I... I can't be sure.
c69vM.png
It's okay. I'm here to bring you all back, but to reach Megan I need you, Colvin and Faherty to stage lab accidents as a distraction. Simultaneously.
J8ll5.jpg
Isn't that a little risky? Besides, how will be coordinate these... accidents? It's impossible.
c69vM.png
Maybe not... But it's that, or staying here and eventually ending up like Dr. Sevchenko.
J8ll5.jpg
They killed him, didn't they? He... He kept provoking them. Coming up with these wild escape plans... They try to keep us apart as much as possible now. Alright, Mr. Jensen, I'm with you. What's our next move?
c69vM.png
We need to disable their G-P-L tracker. I know Dr. Sevchenko was working on something.
J8ll5.jpg
Yes, a virus problem. We all thought it was too risky considering we had nowhere to go. But I don't have it. You had better check with Nia or Declan.
c69vM.png
Okay. Sit tight, Dr. Koss. When you feel a vibration from your G-P-L, set off that distraction. That'll be the signal.
J8ll5.jpg
I will. Good luck, Mr. Jensen... And hurry.

Now we use the skywalk to get to the other building.
iiKSL.jpg

THUD
Q2gpe.jpg

Oh... Oh! Fuck! This is going to be bad! Maybe I should call Sarif now?! ... Meh, it can wait.
x4Z40.png

Going down.
KWQvu.jpg

O
svEGI.jpg

Creepy.
HqSfo.png

Even more creepy
5xMcj.jpg

There he is
mXuDH.png

5nW8H.png

c69vM.png
I made the mistake of surviving... I'm here to get you out, Doctor Faherty.
J8ll5.jpg
I told Vasili that Sarif wouldn't stop looking.
c69vM.png
Sevchenko's dead, Dr. Faherty. I'm sorry.
J8ll5.jpg
I figured as much. One day he was jsut gone, and they wouldn't say why. We were all afraid, so we just kept to the work.
J8ll5.jpg
They forced me to create a signal pattern that could broadcast software upgrades directly into a person's implanted circuitry.
c69vM.png
Upgrades? That do what?
J8ll5.jpg
Whatever instructions have been encoded into them. They said it was to improve efficiency at clinics, but that wouldn't be the only application. Far from it.
c69vM.png
I see... Dr. Faherty, we need to free Megan from the isolation zone. I've got a plan to distract the guards. Three lab accidents.
J8ll5.jpg
I like your style, son. And it just might work if you can get Nia and Eric to agree, but timing them to occur at once? That will be the trick!
c69vM.png
I'll worry about the timing. For now, sit tight and wait for my signal.
J8ll5.jpg
There's one thing you're forgetting, lad. They can track our G-P-L signals.
c69vM.png
I know. But I'm hoping you might have the solution to that problem... Sevchenko's viral program?
J8ll5.jpg
Of course! I shouldn't have underestimated you! Vasili gave it to me before he... disappeared.
J8ll5.jpg
Here you are. Upload it onto the central security computer. It will scramble their scanners. I would have done it myself, but-- I'm just a scientist.
c69vM.png
Don't sell yourself short, Doc.
c69vM.png
Tell me -- where do I find this security terminal?
J8ll5.jpg
Vasili told me there's a tunnel leading to it. Near the back of the compound, I believe. But, I'm afraid you'll have to explore a bit to be sure.
c69vM.png
Any idea who's behind this, Doc? The kidnapping? The facility?
J8ll5.jpg
Not really. Remarkable, consider I've been here six months. You would have thought someone would let something slip... But if it doesn't have to do with the research, you don't get a word out of them.
c69vM.png
Sounds like the guards are well-trained. But what kind of threats were needed to stop the other researchers from talking?
J8ll5.jpg
Well, there were threats early on, just to get us to work. Of course, Vasili saw right though that. Kept saying they needed us. I suppose, in this case, the risk outstripped the return at some point. Damn them.
c69vM.png
Dr. Sevchenko probably knew the risks, and accepted them.
J8ll5.jpg
That he did. Go on, lad. Let's put this plan of yours into action. It's time to teach these wankers a lesson.
c69vM.png
Once I upload the virus, it will be time to act. I'll signal you -- a vibration in your G-P-L. Be ready.
J8ll5.jpg
Understood, lad. But do be careful!

Maybe later we can grab some tea and biscuits!

Alright I take care of the ones outside now
2Qgdz.jpg

Time to go into the tunnel
Ie4Wa.jpg

This robot really wanted to hug me, but I said no, no, no.
lMqKk.png

I upload the virus. Some guards rush by.
nVPCj.png

Use an elevator to get down. What the hell is this? The statues actually change stance every couple of seconds. This is one of the coolest areas in the game.
0pcRJ.png

Zhao is here. She's not happy.
JV9pv.png

c69vM.png
I'm afraid I can't, Zhao. You see, I figured it out. I know what you and your conspiracy buddies are planning.
lcHmZ.jpg
Do you? How clever.
c69vM.png
A new biochip? A software upgrade that limits what augmentations can do?
c69vM.png
You're creating a kill switch. You kidnapped Megan Reed's team to do it, and you're seizing control of the market to ensure it gets distributed.
c69vM.png
All because you're afraid of people like me. Augmented people with the power to resist you.

8LjD2.png

c69vM.png
Let me guess. That was supposed to shut me down, right? Leave me broken and begging?

LWIaf.png

c69vM.png
Women never fail to underestimate men.

Namir comes up from behind
oxdbp.png

He's really well animated.
RqF6e.png

If you go left, he'll jump over the wall, then go right, and wait for him, just as he's jumping over, you can punch him and immediately end the fight. Some might consider this an exploit, but you know what? I like to think that he just doesn't pay attention when he's wall-hopping and you punch him in the balls really hard.
jPyTV.jpg

7Qioo.png

c69vM.png
Not until you tell me where Megan is.
KZwl5.jpg
You lost her, Jensen. Men like us? We never get back the things we love.
c69vM.png
:/

vjU7X.jpg

Namir had a plasma rifle. It looks cool (in profile at least), but it's not very useful.
jEiDZ.png

Time to find Megan. I'm sure she'll be really happy to see me.
qQX8J.jpg

Pe0v7.png

Z5uty.jpg
You're hurt. What happened?
c69vM.png
What happened to you?! I risked my life for you, Megan! I came halfway around the world, and for what?!

Sigh. I can relate, Jensen.

Z5uty.jpg
It's not what you think.
c69vM.png
Are you a part of this?!
Z5uty.jpg
No! No, Adam, I swear it! The kidnapping was real. The attack on Sarif Industries-- They came after me. They wanted my research!
c69vM.png
And when did you decide they could have it?!
Z5uty.jpg
It didn't happen like that! I wanted to tell you, but I couldn't. I couldn't! And then David said we had to use it -- we owed it to mankind!
c69vM.png
David? ... What are you talking about?
Z5uty.jpg
My 'great discovery.' The genetic framework I found that makes it easier for l iving tissue to bond with implants. I found it -- in you, Adam. I used your D-N-A.
Z5uty.jpg
I wanted to tell you, I swear. But David convinced me what it could mean for mankind -- how much better off we could all be... It took Hugh to make me see how wrong I was.
c69vM.png
Hugh? Hugh Darrow?

Man, again with that Darrow guy.

Z5uty.jpg
He owns this facility. After Namir brought us here --

Time to call Sarif!!

c69vM.png
Pritchard! Patch me in to Sarif. Now!
JqUhb.jpg
I can't Jensen. He's on his way to Panchaea.

Fuck.

Z5uty.jpg
Adam, please! Hugh's only pretending to work with Tai Yong Medical and the others! He found out what they were planing and told them he would help -- but only to make sure they never succeeded! Their control signal won't work!

Well, lets watch some TV.
DJ23R.png

Everyone goes crazy and they start killing each other
aN4Pc.png

WfvgN.png

c69vM.png
I'm going back for the scientists.
Z5uty.jpg
No, Adam! I know this complex better than you. I'll find them... There's a hangar bay through there. Get to its control room and retract the roof. Clear a path for us!

This room is fantastic. The whiteness apparently symbolizes Megan's treacherous nature.
yeO2r.jpg

Malik comes to pick us up.
ZoZXl.jpg

She drops an EMP to disable the guards, lands, and leaves with the scientists. Megan points out that Darrow's LEO shuttle can take Jensen to Panchaea.
QEVWA.jpg

... You gotta be shitting me.
klkaq.png

baronjohn

Cipher
Chapter 7, Panchaea

The shuttle is launched by a railgun.
WS9Au.png

Wooooo
EgalA.png

And we're in space. You can see Versalife's space station from here.
4LCO9.png

Er
OfF1q.png

Uhm
1QMmO.png

Jensen crashes into the water.
fN4qE.jpg

Manages to get out somehow. Welcome to Panchaea. That tower is our destination.
X8Zey.jpg

If Jensen had enhanced legs we could jump up here and get into the giant air vent on the center-right.
hNAHe.jpg

Instead we enter a corridor below.
8YbCJ.png

Kill the mines
AGZMT.png

Not sure if I really want to go down there. This level has a System Shock 2 vibe to it.
IsfNq.png

I found a PEPS, but it's only got 1 ammo. I was an idiot and didn't collect the ammo throughout the game because I didn't know if I would find a PEPS toward the end.
SFYr9.jpg

I destroy the box bot because it would be trouble later.
m0N75.png

We rode an elevator up, here's the view.
43MjK.jpg

You can move it out of the way by shooting it with the frag revolver from the side.
Ma8bw.png

I found more PEPS ammo, and also a bloody toilet. Uhh, women are disgusting.
uvGlM.jpg

Alright the path to Darrow is uneventful. Time to confront him.
K1kZE.png

c69vM.png
Afraid to die, Darrow? Or just unwilling to face what you've done?
iIWwl.gif
Oh, I know what I've done, believe me. I take no pleasure in it.
c69vM.png
And yet, you still did it.
iIWwl.gif
I did what had to be done!
iIWwl.gif
Twenty years ago, I gave the world augmentation technology. I thought I was giving it a bright future but instead, I gave it the means to destroy itself. No law, no U-N regulation was going to fix that.
c69vM.png
People are dying out there! Hundreds of thousands of people, driven to the brink of insanity -- because of you!
iIWwl.gif
I had to convince the world. Before today, people believed we should steal fire from the gods and redesign human nature.
iIWwl.gif
But human nature is the only thing we have that gives us a moral compass, and the social skills we need to live in peace!
iIWwl.gif
Destroy it, and you destroy our very species.
c69vM.png
Don't paint yourself a savior in this. What you've done is insane.
iIWwl.gif
Is it? When this is done, the Illuminati won't be able to control men and women like you, as they had planned -- from the inside out.
iIWwl.gif
No one will be able to use the technology I invented to make others into beings they desire. Something we both know has happened already...
c69vM.png
You think you're Frankenstein... killing his own monster...
iIWwl.gif
Actually, Mr. Jensen, I prefer to think of myself as Daedalus, watching helplessly as his child crashes into the sea.
c69vM.png
I'm ending this. Now.
iIWwl.gif
You can't. The signal is being generated from the broadcast center at the base of this facility. Panchaea's security system has been programmed to protect it -- and will kill you before you even get close.
c69vM.png
You designed that system, Darrow. You can tell me how to shut it down.
iIWwl.gif
But I won't. You think what I'm doing is extreme... You simply don't understand.
iIWwl.gif
For humanity to survive beyond this century, it must abandon ill-conceived notions about transcendence and embrace change.
iIWwl.gif
But for this to happen, the hard lesson must be learned. Blood... must be shed.
c69vM.png
What you're doing is horrific; it has to stop. You can't force people to change -- they have to do it on their own or they'll end up resenting you for it! And doing it like this -- My god, Darrow. It's insane.
iIWwl.gif
It is not insane, Mr. Jensen. Tragic, yes. Unavoidable? ... No.
iIWwl.gif
History has shown us again and again that the human race is hidebound and governed by inertia.
iIWwl.gif
As a society, as a species -- the only way to elicit any kind of reaction from it is through an act of tragedy, a horrible cataclysm.
iIWwl.gif
I regret what I have been forced to do, but given what I know about mankind and the dangers facing us, this was the only viable choice.
c69vM.png
You want us to see what you are -- fine. Our humanity is threatened because technology is messing with our minds.
c69vM.png
But how can we recognize this message, when we're grieving over the people you've forced us to leave behind?
c69vM.png
Friends and neighbors -- people we care about! Is the image of their murders the vision you want us to have?
iIWwl.gif
Of course it isn't! I don't want to be remembered as a... a monster!
iIWwl.gif
Oh, why did I expect this to turn out differently?
iIWwl.gif
People like you, people who willingly surrender their humanity a piece at a time -- you'll never understand.
iIWwl.gif
And browbeating won't get me to change my mind. You can talk and talk and talk, but in the end you'll still fail to grasp the fundamental, underlying truth.
c69vM.png
People like me?... People like me? ...
c69vM.png
You're not interested in saving humanity, Darrow, no matter how loud you shout it.
c69vM.png
This is about jealousy, pure and simple! Everything you're doing today is in service to your wounded ego - because you can't stand anyone leaving you behind!
iIWwl.gif
My ego has nothing to do with this. And if your mind, you psyche, wasn't so addled by the technology I invented, you might be able to see that.
iIWwl.gif
All of this is academic, Mr. Jensen. As long as this technology exists, men like you and me will still crave it, still do anything to have it, despite the cost to our bodies... and souls!
iIWwl.gif
Well today, I have set the dominoes falling to change that. I have altered the course of human history... for the second time.
iIWwl.gif
And this time, it is setting things right.
c69vM.png
You cover it up with all that pretense about saving the world, try to justify it... But deep down inside, you're nothing more than an angry child! Spiteful, full of hate, envious, and bitter... How petty is that?
iIWwl.gif
Petty?! I was betrayed by my own genetics! Ruined by my own flesh!
iIWwl.gif
What right do you have to condemn me? To curse me? All I ever wanted was to build something good... Something magnificent...
iIWwl.gif
And now, there's so much blood... So much blood...
iIWwl.gif
I... I will give you what you want, Mr. Jensen.
iIWwl.gif
Codes to shut down Panchaea's security system... But you'll still be in danger. Much of the system is self-determining... and lethal.
iIWwl.gif
When you see it - maybe then, you'll understand. THe technology I created... will not be the future any one of us desires. Please. Help the world understand that.

Now there are zombies and shit. It's best to just run, since they can't jump.
fHKgn.png

Taggart, that slimeball. He's somewhere here. We'll go find him.
0UfaM.png

The PEPS is very useful, but ammo is running low. I still have 3 gas granades.
46cEM.jpg

These can be skipped.
DGR0v.jpg

yqGms.png

c69vM.png
Monsters, Taggart? You mean people. Augmented people who've lost all control, lost their reason.
GwCHR.jpg
Isn't that supposed to be my line? ... Unfortunately, it seems your esteemed Mr. Darrow decided to appropriate my point and turn it back on me. In madness and in blood. He has betrayed us all.
c69vM.png
So you finally admit it. You are a part of this, after all. You have been all along.
GwCHR.jpg
It would be pointless to deny anything now... But despite what you think of us, we never wanted augmentations outlawed. All we've ever sought is regulation.
GwCHR.jpg
Rules, governing how the technology is developed, and laws that ensure it's used for the good of society.
c69vM.png
You've raised society above humanity. So... who gets to make those rules?
GwCHR.jpg
Men with the wisdom, strength, and tenacity to know what's right. Proven leaders who distinguish themselves... like, like you, Mr. Jensen. You've certainly earned the right to be one of us. All you have to do is take it.
c69vM.png
I'm not looking for glory, Taggart.
GwCHR.jpg
Just remember that without control, there's no room for freedom -- only anarchy. You were a policeman once. You know the importance of order.
c69vM.png
I know there's a difference between order and slavery.
GwCHR.jpg
The biochip wasn't supposed to force people to do anything. It merely limited powers, so that people couldn't go on killing sprees like the one taking place right now!
c69vM.png
Amazing how well that worked out.
GwCHR.jpg
Say what you will, but I know that some part of you agrees with me. Absolute freedom is no different than absolute chaos.
GwCHR.jpg
Society needs boundaries if it has any hope of surviving. And you, Mr. Jensen, can be the one to give us that hope...
GwCHR.jpg
Shut down Darrow's signal.Then help me get a message out, saying that an accident at Versalife contaminated the world's neuropozyne supply.
c69vM.png
Versalife? And what if I decide to blame the illuminati?
GwCHR.jpg
The Illuminati is just a name to get rich financiers to invest more money.
GwCHR.jpg
Besides, do you really think the world will believe in some 18th Century conspiracy theory? Do this for us, and you'll ensure a future for mankind. All of mankind -- augmented or otherwise...
GwCHR.jpg
The future Hugh Darrow offers doesn't allow for both.
c69vM.png
All of this is as much your fault as it is Darrow's. You and your cabal.
GwCHR.jpg
Perhaps. But all we sought was a safety valve, Mr. Jensen. A means of making sure the world would never spin out of control. The potential of this technology is great, but as we've seen, its potential for destruction is even greater.
c69vM.png
Your doomsday scenario doesn't impress me. You'd say anything to stay in power.
GwCHR.jpg
Do you think humanity will simply police itself?! We do not live in some Eden, Mr. Jensen.
GwCHR.jpg
Or are you that much like your boss, David Sarif -- who envisions a world where everyone is enhanced and suddenly, they all love each other?
GwCHR.jpg
There will always be a need for methods of control.
c69vM.png
And conveniently, in your future, the Illuminati will hold the reins.
GwCHR.jpg
Not directly. There are organizations already in place that are better equiped to handle certain things. The U.N., for instance.
c69vM.png
Re-imagined, no doubt.
GwCHR.jpg
At least somewhat... And this technology will be a great part of it. Imagine it, Mr. Jensen. A world governed by common principles.
GwCHR.jpg
The end of international power struggles; terrorism. These things can be accomplished. If you join us.

Fuck you, Taggart. I think of all the characters in HR I hate this one the most. A dirty, old, cynical, power-fetishizing bureaucrat. Go die in a fire!

:mad:

Hi5 to HR writers.

Next, Sarif calls out for help. He's hiding in the machine room.
WCTXX.jpg

If we had the leg aug, we could just jump down there.
Ypj0y.jpg

Instead I have to find an elevator. I use up some of the gas grenades. Now I'm running low on everything. Will I make it?
DMGrw.jpg

Last grenade. At least they worked well.
8IDhu.png

This vent leads to Sarif.
QArAF.png

o3QWS.png

c69vM.png
We can't move anyone yet. Not until I get to the base of the station and shut down Darrow's broadcast.
oGKiV.jpg
What? Why--why?
c69vM.png
The chaos you experienced here? It's everywhere. The Illuminati created a biochip that stop people from using enhanced abilities, and Darrow turned it into a kill switch.
oGKiV.jpg
Ah, my God, Hugh... We've got to fix this, Adam. If people realize what's happened -- if they believe augmentation technology created this chaos! -- they'll ban human enhancement research forever!
c69vM.png
And that would be a bad thing.
oGKiV.jpg
Yes, it would! Don't you see what's at stake here?
oGKiV.jpg
Ever since man first crawled out of that ocaen, we have been striving to be more than we are! Augmentation technology is just the latest, greatest step on a very long road --
oGKiV.jpg
but we've barely scratched the surface of its potential. We can't let fear stop us from continuing.
c69vM.png
That's your belief, Sarif. Not everyone shares it.
oGKiV.jpg
But you do, Adam. I know it! And if we work together, we can really make a difference. We can improve the lives of everyone! But only if we fix this.
c69vM.png
Go on...
oGKiV.jpg
We'd have to get a message out -- after you shut down Hugh's signal. Tell the world... tell them Humanity Front did this. That their doctors created a virus that only affects augmented people.
c69vM.png
You mean, lie.
oGKiV.jpg
It will give us time, son. Time to figure out how to destroy the Illuminati biochips, and move on.
c69vM.png
And what about the people who've been hurt by this? Don't they deserve the truth?
oGKiV.jpg
Ah, Adam... if we want the freedom to become more than we are, we can't be blinded by a misguided morality. Some people will be left behind -- it's reality. It's evolution, son.
c69vM.png
Right. Evolution based on my DNA.
oGKiV.jpg
Please, son. You have to stay with me on this.
c69vM.png
You've got no remorse about using me at all, do you?
oGKiV.jpg
I never used you, son.
c69vM.png
You experimented with my D-N-A! Without telling me!
oGKiV.jpg
Ahh, Adam. This is difficult. Listen. Megan --Megan came to me with the sample. When she showed me her finding, when I saw, when we saw the incredible potential of super-compatibility--
c69vM.png
You just had to share it with the world.
oGKiV.jpg
Adam... Think about it!
oGKiV.jpg
Would you have been able to do any of the things you've done without enhancements? Huh?
oGKiV.jpg
Most people's bodies aren't as accepting of this technology as yours is. Sharing your D-N-A makes it possible for us to be like you.
oGKiV.jpg
How can you deny us that change?
c69vM.png
Who said I would deny it? You stole my DNA and lied to me. You didn't give me a choice.
oGKiV.jpg
I'm giving it to you now. Adam, look. I admit it. I haven't done things the best way. But don't punish the world to spite me. Darrow wants us to live in the dark ages. The Illuminati want to limit evolution to those they control. You and me--
c69vM.png
Don't group me with you, Sarif. I'll make my own choices from here.
oGKiV.jpg
I believe that son. And I believe you'll make the right ones.
oGKiV.jpg
I know blaming Humanity Front leaves a sour taste in your mouth, but it's the only way out of this. So go. The longer the signal broadcasts, the harder it will be to convince people.

Sarif makes some good points.

We're running out of stuffs to shoot things with.
YfiDE.png

At least the laser rifle has enough ammo. Way more than we'll need, actually.
XU5RK.png

We're left with 3 tranq darts.
3C4ye.jpg

But this is the end. There are no zombies beyond this point
A38Iu.jpg

The elevator stops at the broadcast center
Edg9k.png

In it, we find bizarre things going on.
b5dq6.png

A quantum computer, and Zhao.
Lthth.png

She's going to merge so she can broadcast the Illuminati message.
FKAvp.png

But she can't control it
DGFzr.png

JC picks up a gun and tries to shoot Helios, but it doesn't work. Zhao is behind some sort of barrier.
doMFy.png

The computer activates turrets. Time to duck and take them out.
H6zAt.png

Normally there would be several more steps, more enemies, hacking, etc. However, the laser rifle shoots right through the Hydron project barrier and kills Zhao after burning around 600 battery life. This is the only reason I took the laser rifle with me.
eLhK9.png

She dies
mjYPj.png

Fascinating.
uqk2R.png

We're done.
E9NkS.png

In the broadcast center, I find Eliza. She will spin any story I like. I can either go with the truth, Taggart's lie, or Sarif's lie.

Alternatively I can destroy the entire facility so that no one ever finds out what happened. I won't be doing that though. There are thousands of people still alive here, and if I am anything, I'm not a murderer.

Taggart is out.

Sarif's ideas are much more attractive.

But I am no liar.

Albert Einstein said, "Technological progress is like an axe in the hands of a pathological criminal."

It took me a while, but I finally see his point.

How often have we chased the dream of progress, only to see that dream perverted?

More often than not, haven't the machines we built to improve life shattered the lives of millions?

And now we want to turn that dream on ourselves, to fundamentally improve who we are.

Experience has shown me how dangerous that can be.

How many times, in the call of duty, did I almost fall into the trap of taking the shortcuts, abusing my abilities or the resources at hand?

I resisted -- barely at times - because I valued human lives and considerations.

But can I truly despise others who fall?

Technology offers us strength, strength enables dominance, and dominance paves the way for abuse.

Darrow understood this. He knew that using technology to become something more than we are risks losing our ability to love, aspire, or make moral choices - the very things that make us Human.

It also risks giving some men the power to make others what they choose - regardless of the cost to human dignity.

The suffering Darrow inflicted is not the end of the world.

It is merely the seed for change.

And change never comes without pain.

The End

here are the videos for the endings: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_DBeMx5ZWM

I should note that this ending is bittersweet for me. I agree the most with Sarif, but I didn't want to lie to everyone. That would make me as bad as the antagonists in the game.

bandaid

Educated
Seems a little short. I mean, I'd like to see some more interaction with other characters, like Pritchard and Faridah... But I like it, from what you showed. Were there some more conversations that you decided not to include in this playthrough? That's actually good, cause I'd like to play this game in few months, whenever I can afford a machine that would let me play it.

Also, can you get this chip replaced in LIMB clinic? Or is it railroaded?

I would probably go with Sarif regarding the ending. For what it's worth, his ideals appeal best to me. Even if I had to lie about the whole affair. Not that I'm a fan of the Singularity concept and whatnot, mainly because I'm mostly driven by curiosity -- and the question of how society could be changed by augmentations is very interesting. I feel a little sad, that I won't get any answers on it in my lifetime.

So, are you gonna LP something new? Maybe The Nameless Mod? It's peculiar, in a good way, also fairly entertaining and really well designed in the choices and consequences department. Even I you're not gonna LP anything soon, I suggest you play it for fun if you haven't already.

SoupNazi

Well baron did breeze through the game without showing half the stuff there's to do in the hubs and the places to explore (admittedly a lot of that stuff would be boring for an LP).

You can decide whether to have it replaced or not, yeah. The game doesn't even tell you that it's bad, Pritchard just hints at it very vaguely (he says something like "I'm not sure, ... I'm still doing my own calibrations..."). From what I read on forums etc., more people chose to have it replaced than not.

baronjohn

Cipher
I skipped content for a variety of reasons... For a lot I just didn't have the augmentations to access, other I didn't think it was relevant to the plot or particularly witty, sometimes I was just surprised and didn't get enough screenshots to transcribe it completely, etc. For the most part, I aimed to show enough to make sense of the story. The game definitely isn't short. 40 hours on a first playthrough sounds about right.

You can get the chip in LIMB, then Zhao shuts down all your augmentations and your UI goes crazy in the fight with Namir. After that Megan fixes it. It happened in my first playthrough because I was following the quest markers like a retard. "Surely a nextgen game wouldn't let me shoot himself in the foot, right?"

There's lots of speculative hard sci-fi about transhumanism, if it piques your interest.

More LPs aren't very likely. I run Linux only, and booting into Windows to play games only happens a couple of times per year. The next game I play will probably be Skyrim. I've been thinking for ages about doing an Arcanum ironman-solo-halfelf-debutante-tech-gunslinger LP though. I've tried it and it's fun. There have been so many Arcanum LPs on the Codex though.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
I totally missed that Zelazny quest and the Tong's son quest.

Tell me, is this a fun game when you metagame through it?

People love metagaming through Fallout 2 on a second playthrough, because it's just nonlinear enough for you to stretch very far very early. But I am just not sure if metagaming will be as rewarding in Human Revolutions, even though I can see some use for already knowing some of the areas and getting the good stuff early.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom