Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress [LP CYOA] Tower

Baltika9

Arcane
In true lovecraft fashion we could play as a soldier with PTSD and a laudanum addiction. At least then the schitzophrenic codex voices in his head would make sense.
I agree! Really wanna play as a veteran of the great war. And as Rain, too, though I doubt that will be an option.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I suppose 1919 takes it by a landslide. Now let's look at the available cast for this time period. We'll be focusing less on stats and numbers for the time being.

A. The Widowed Skeptic. Cynical, stubborn, strong of heart. Anne Rutherford, 56.
One of the most prominent skeptics in a world overrun by the fantastical, she has invited herself to the World Occultist Conference in Espanola, where she will bear witness to the latest mysteries that have been collected from around the globe, and hopefully, tear them down.

B. The Disgraced Junker. Depressed, low self-esteem, alcoholic. Maximilian von Falkenhayn, 24.
Disgraced and traumatized in the Great War, he has been shipped off by his aristocrat family to a remote posting in the Tower. While nominally tasked with overseeing his house’s preparations for the great treaty signing to come, nothing is expected of him except to stay out of the way and ideally drink himself dead in a corner where no one will notice.

C. The Charming Conman. Cunning, confident, smooth-talking. Johnny Enflames, 25.
If the world is an oyster, the Tower is undoubtedly its pearl, and Johnny thinks he knows just how to turn that pearl into cash. Fleeing some angry former customers and hitching a ride with a travelling circus, he has come to the Tower hearing that it was a land of opportunity, with a sucker born every minute.

D. The Genius Apprentice. Intelligent, awkward, robophilic. Ian Coyoc, 18.
An Aztecan boy with little heed for the traditional, and an apprentice of a formerly renowned inventor whose star is fading swiftly. They have come to the Tower in preparation for the New York World’s Fair scheduled to be held in less than a year’s time, and there is much Ian needs to do under the demanding tutelage of Nikola Tesla.

E. The Deadly Monk. Focused, philosophical, merciless. Lu Zhi, 100.
From the furthest reaches of the East, the ancient monk has embarked upon his final pilgrimage to a land where few speak his language. He seeks questions to the answer that he has, and hopes that whatever he finds at the top of the Tower will provide him with satisfaction enough to go to his final rest.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
B
I mean even if when things go wrong it will only be an improvement from his current state.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Lmfao, definitely not playing a chick.

treave Can you describe the posting for B? Could you also describe the physical characteristics of both characters in B and C?

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
physical characteristics
Pretty sure B is this guy:
images (22).jpeg

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Oh bother. Trust treave to make the choices hard...

I'm seriously tempted to make a conditional vote, but no. I'll choose a favourite and if that isn't elected, I'll be fine with playing whatever the majority votes for.

For me, the most enticing prospect is A

Tigranes

Arcane
A. Often, the hero/reader's role is to believe in the fantastical that the NPCs don't believe. For once, I'd rather be the cynic that yells at everyone to disbelieve.

Hell, there's probably an opportunity to push that into a full blown Spanish Inquisition. Burn the heretics who spout nonsense about the tower! Repent before charname!

(After Wrinkly, B/D/E probably has us playing another person with no talent for conversation)

Baltika9

Arcane
(After Wrinkly, B/D/E probably has us playing another person with no talent for conversation)
I'm sure the Junker is very conversant after he gets some drinks. He'll tell you all about his terrible luck and the unfair circumstances of his life.

And we'll finally have a character with a drinking skill.

Hell yes!

Definitely voting B.

He's basically a broken man pushed to the limits with combat knowledge. He's the lowest of the low and you know what they say? When you've reached the bottom there is only one way but UP! I want to be the voice in the head of this man and bring him to be what Wrinkly could never be (rip, little man).

I say come with me and turn this zero into a hero.

P.S. Another plus is that after seeing the carnage of the great war, a few eldricht abominations won't even faze him.

Kalarion

Serial Ratist
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
E sounds really fun. Have we ever played an ancient before?

But man. Traumatized vet? Disgraced? Too good to pass up.

B. Flop to E.

Last edited:

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
*sigh*

You could have played anything from a smooth talking conman to a 100yo badass monk, but instead you picked the 24yo black sheep noble with alcoholism and PTSD.

Codex, do we need to talk?

:hmmm:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom