Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress [LP CYOA] Tower

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
Clearly we are asking the wrong questions. We need to ask what is the best possible choice which would allow us to do everything we wanted to do and avoid everything we do not.
yes: let's tell grandma to guard Sophie and cook tea while we dispatch the closest shifter, then dash over to the one running away and smash it, re-arrange the leopard's spots, fix Elizabeth's hair, leisurely stroll over to Sophie and grandma (suitably spruced-up leopard in one hand, Elizabeth in the other - smoking revolver safely gripped by our smiling teeth), take a sip of tea and say "not bad, but you can do better"
:M

Baltika9

Arcane
It sounds like we're spitting old taking points at one another at this point. Maybe now's a good time to take a break and let the less verbose of us voice their opinions? I'm not sure that they'll read the five pages of discuss we have produced.

===Poll===

==1st choice==
A - 3 (1)
B - 8 (10)
C - 8 (9)
D - 1 (0)

==2nd choice==
A - 6 (8)
B - 3 (2)
C - 1 (0)
D - 10 (11)
E - 1 (0)
Lambchop19 A>B D>B>C
ERYFKRAD A>D B>D
Esquilax B D

A bear named spigot. B A
baud B>C C
Grimgravy B>C B>C>A
Life of the Party B D
Tigranes B D
Azira B>C A>C>B
asxetos B A>B
Nevill B D

CappenVarra C A
ItsChon C D
Absinthe C>D D
Egosphere C D
Kz3r0 C>B D>B
hello friend C D
Oscar C A
Kipeci C A

Baltika9 D>A>C E>A>C
===

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I'll flop to BD.

It's on Lambchop for chickening out.
chicken.gif

and making me too

Baltika9

Arcane
If we're playing bodyguard, then wouldn't it make more sense to pick a melee weapon? A slingshot isn't exactly great for close quarters, unlike a revolver or sword-club. Or brass knuckles ( just saying).

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
The fuck with all these D-votes? You guys just thinking Sophie wants the D when in reality she just wants to be left alone with her big glasses. :codexisfor:

We should man up instead and do something. :M

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
None of this would have happened if only we'd choose BOOTS. :rpgcodex:

We'd have a key position in the plan, a badass magical orb, and a kitty all to ourselves.

Remember kids, being a nerd is not fun! BOOTS over BOOKS!

Tigranes

Arcane
D feels a bit too passive, since you're waiting on someone to come after Sophie before you do anything
Which is what you do when you guard someone.

Honestly, we’re one heck of an irresponsible brat. Everyone here is doing their job except us and we’re looking to do someone else’s job for them instead of being the most useful where we can be.

Tlalli is fighting the monsters, the cat is guarding Liz, Liz is bait for the monster, Sophie is looking for more enemies and what are we doing? Looking for any excuse we can not to guard the one person that can see these things before they attack, who is totally unguarded at the moment.

Hey, I know what we can do! Let’s do the cat’s job! Or the monster hunter’s job! Let’s hide in the bushes and try and spot the things we literally can’t spot before they attack because we don’t have magic glasses. Anything but guarding the member of our team who is extremely important right now and vulnerable! Please! Anything but that!

:kingcomrade:

Gonna quote lambchop again. Because for once he is entirely correct.

We usually start creating our own alternate realities (myself included) when we DISCUSS! too long. Simple objective facts.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Way too much talking. 2D is obviously the right choice and I'm not going to bother rehashing what was already said in the thread. Everyone else is living in a fantasy land in regards to how quickly we can get to Elizabeth, how much trouble Tlalli actually is in (remember she's old af in a profession where people die young, and she intended to go after the creature alone which implies she was prepared to handle any number of shape shifters that might come up), and how powerful we actually are when it comes to holding these things off.

When it comes to the discussion about the weapon, I think the consensus is clear that we want a ranged weapon. Baltika9 I change my vote to just C no flop, which means we're currently tied at 9-9 between the slingshot and the gun. The gun is superior to the slingshot imo because the upside is so much higher. We're tossing the sling shot at a moments notice once we get a bow, but the revolver will stay useful, even when we have a bow. One for long ranged quarry, the other for close quarters combat. All these people making decisions because they're psyching themselves out into thinking Treave is going to fuck us with bad rng just because we picked the OBVIOUSLY BEST option. Someone flop over to revolver please and let's finish this.

Absinthe

Arcane
If we're playing bodyguard, then wouldn't it make more sense to pick a melee weapon? A slingshot isn't exactly great for close quarters, unlike a revolver or sword-club. Or brass knuckles ( just saying).
Revolver's probably best option for defense: We get to unload into anything that approaches Sophia, and it can fire multiple consecutive shots without before we need to reload. We already have a knife on us. I think the slingshot is a worse idea if we're just defending Sophie honestly. It doesn't pack the same firepower and we won't be able to continuously reload it while Sophie is under attack. So we'd get off maybe one shot, which won't hit as hard as the revolver does, before we'd end up in melee. I'd recommend brass knuckles or slingshot more if 2A were winning (sword-club is not within our skills, imo). The slingshot is better for fighting an enemy that isn't engaging us (letting us repeatedly fire pebbles with better aim, and lower risk of accidental friendly fire) or long-distance shooting (again, better aim given our superior familiarity with the slingshot). For an enemy that could be rushing Sophie, while we are protecting her, firepower and continuous firing (however brief) are higher value, since aim will typically not be the problem there.

Last edited:

Baltika9

Arcane
When it comes to the discussion about the weapon, I think the consensus is clear that we want a ranged weapon. Baltika9 I change my vote to just C no flop, which means we're currently tied at 9-9 between the slingshot and the gun.
This is incorrect, unless we had some stealthy vote changes. The two flops to 1B are coming from Esquilax and Lambchop, and my flop is the only one to 1C. This brings the total up to 10-8 after flops. Feel free to double-check my tally (in fact, if anyone can, please do so).
===
Actually, I think that we're overthinking the weapon choice and that Esquilax is right, and it won't have a tremendous impact on our effectiveness in this situation:
Guys the ranged weapons are only useful if you have ammo. Can't run out of ammo for fist or blade.

They all, I'm sure have their respective strengths and weaknesses. And to be honest, would have the same potential for either ranged/melee weapons anyways, so it makes sense to just pick whatever weapon you think is the coolest.

If you want our Hunter to have a little bit of cowboy in him, go with the revolver. If you like a more primal, Tarzan kind of vibe, like I do, the sword/slingshot seems more in that direction. If you are a dedicated member of the Zhang Jue Appreciation Society (which should be everybody, btw), go with the knuckles.
Yeah, you can argue that a novice will be bad with a revolver, but revolvers were made to be simple and it's not like the slingshot will have less potential for friendly fire at close range. In fact, a sharp pebble presents a greater danger to Sophie than to these thick-skinned shifters, whereas a revolver might hurt both of them equally. I mean, fuck, it's rocks vs. bullets, c'mon bros.

Honestly, we’re one heck of an irresponsible brat. Everyone here is doing their job except us and we’re looking to do someone else’s job for them instead of being the most useful where we can be.
What I was trying, and evidently failed, to communicate is that taking down the wounded shifter was, originally, Tlalli's job. She won't be able to do so now and this is why I am agitating for us to get involved, not because I want hero or brownie points. In fact, our only job was to map the surroundings.
Tlalli quickly runs through the plan she thought up. It seems that the shifter is lurking in a swampy area nearby. After Sophie sets sight on the shifter, you will map the surrounding area with your book, which will help Tlalli determine where the quarry will likely flee. That is where Elizabeth will get into position, moving deeper into the swamp by using her boots; the swampy terrain meant that Tlalli wouldn’t be able to keep up easily once it decided to run. Tlalli hands Elizabeth a small bronze orb, telling her that all she needs to do is to toss it at the shifter when the monster is chased that way. It’ll weaken and slow the shifter down enough so that Tlalli can put it down for good.
I understand that the second option is pretty much locked in, but I just wanted to clarify that point and the reason that I think we should be more proactive.

TL;DR: BD still leads, flop to revolver because bullets>rocks.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
This is incorrect, unless we had some stealthy vote changes. The two flops to 1B are coming from Esquilax and Lambchop, and my flop is the only one to 1C. This brings the total up to 10-8 after flops. Feel free to double-check my tally (in fact, if anyone can, please do so).
My bad. Before you edited it had me in the vote section as C>B which is what I put down so I figured the votes up top reflected what you had on the bottom.

Kipeci

Arcane
CA

I prefer a gun over whatever else and I think that it’d be most efficient to dispatch the new one right in front of us. If we can gang up on the new arrival then we ought to be able to put it on the defensive and control where it can go/overwhelm it quickly so it can’t wheel around and fall upon Sophie due to the constant pressure from us. I’m not too worried for Elizabeth even though the other one is headed towards her because she has high mobility and Bernard is there to apply pressure to that one. I don’t think hanging around Sophie out of the way will contribute all that much to the fight versus being up close and personal to blast it away since we are relatively inexperienced with firearms and power in any case will drop with range, and supporting Tlalli so we can find and kill these suckers quickly is what we’re supposed to be doing here anyway.

Baltika9

Arcane
Huh. 2A is not one vote away from tying 2D, and one flop away from leading it. LEt's grab a gun and help out gram-gram. She can then proceed with the original plan, while we help Sophie, if necessary.

Last edited:

Absinthe

Arcane
I disagree. I think reacting to potential threats (D or E) as opposed to confirmed threats is the most unreasonable idea.
If you only focus on what's before your eyes, you will miss a lot of things. The confirmed threats you are talking about are already under control. The real risk here is that of something happening to Sophie, who is, as we well know, completely undefended and unable to defend herself. You are also behaving as though our job is to win this fight. It is not. That is Tlalli's job and Bernard's job. Our job is to assist, see to our own safety, and avoid making life harder for the experts. Right now, the only real need I can see, is for someone to defend Sophie. Elizabeth is well protected and Tlalli can handle the shifter here.

Huh. 2A is not one vote away from tying 2D, and one flop away from leading it. LEt's grab a gun and help out gram-gram. She can then proceed with the original plan, while we guard Sophie.
I dunno about that. If an expert is busy fighting a monster, they generally don't want an amateur inserting themselves into their fight. We have to accept that our involvement would probably make the fight messier instead of easier for Tlalli. I don't think A will necessarily have the worst outcome (Sophie dying), but at the least I wouldn't be surprised if we end up aggravating our injury. I also think that given that she was perfectly ready to take on the shifter alone, Tlalli doesn't need our help.

Also, those weapon votes...

Treave: A dangerous monster is headed your way! Which weapon would you rather have? A revolver, or a slingshot?
Codex: Slingshot, of course!

Last edited:

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
Huh. 2A is not one vote away from tying 2D, and one flop away from leading it. LEt's grab a gun and help out gram-gram. She can then proceed with the original plan, while we help Sophie, if necessary.
alright, flopping to:

1C
2A

edit: wait, you already have me down as CA in

CappenVarra C A

while i voted for CC?
the short term situation doesn't seem too bad
unless there's more shapeshifters around and we're in Fantasy Fucking Vietnam (TM)

in the long term, we want guns and Lizzy (and more guns)

1C
2C

Last edited:

Tigranes

Arcane
:hearnoevil:

"Hey, I've never fired a gun in my life and I'm like ten years old, but sure, let's just wade in there and shoot at the grandma fighting the monster in melee combat in a fucking swamp, especially when she isn't expecting it! What can go wrong??"

Don't be a fucking Andrew.

We need one person to recover their brain and confirm 2D so we don't Leeroy Jenkins and kill a grandma.

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
better to light a single very loud gunpowder candle than curse the darkness play bodyguard to a Jane Austen fan

Absinthe

Arcane
If the Jane Austen fan dies, we are in very deep shit with our town and benefactor (reminder that McClellan is Sophie's father).

Baltika9

Arcane
Right now, the only real need I can see, is for someone to defend Sophie. Elizabeth is well protected and Tlalli can handle the shifter here.
And if we're tag-teaming one shifter with gram-gram, and the other is running towards Liz and Bernard, then what are we guarding Sophie against?

And Bernard seem to be a just a leopard. A well-trained and impressive leopard, but a leopard nonetheless. Again, the original plan involved Tlalli killing off the shifter that is currently fleeing towards Elizabeth, not Bernard. If we help finishing this sucker off with a revolver in close quarters, then Tlalli can proceed with the original plan as best she can.

I'm not seeing any issues here.
edit: wait, you already have me down as CA in

CappenVarra C A

while i voted for CC?
Nah, I'm just that quick with the edits. Fastest hand in the West, you know.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
ERYFKRAD Neither D or A is going to win the first vote. Care to swap over to C? I'm sure you'll agree, the revolver is way cooler than a silly slingshot.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom